: What's the best aftermarket car alarm?

BeelzeBob
02-06-03, 09:57 AM
I'm looking to get an aftermarket alarm for my Vette.. I need something that beeps when someone comes close to the car. I don't have a garage and cars around me are getting keyed.

So what shall it be? And, how much does it cost?

Also, it would be nice to have the feature to turn off the trigger when people are close to the car - such as in a busy parking lot.

The problem is - I don't worry about my car when it's in a busy place. But when it's desolate, like at night or in a parking lot that isn't very busy, I worry.. Are there any solutions like this out there?

Thanks...

elwesso
02-06-03, 03:34 PM
Well, the saying all alarms are not created equal applies here. Personally, this is one of the things that you let qualified people do, especially on a vette. What i would do, is buy the alarm from a place that offers free installation (out here its HHGREGG, but im not sure that you got one out there). There really arent major brands that are the best. Mainly look at the features. You may be able to find one with remote start that comes built in.

BeelzeBob
02-06-03, 06:40 PM
Thanks. I would definitely have it installed professionally. I'd just like to get an idea of what people have and like.. I'd like to be paged when the alarm goes off.. I need options.. I don't want my car getting keyed in the middle of the night without being able to jump up and and see who did it..

I think I want to install some type of camera-looking object as well - something that's maybe 6 inches in diameter - round - one inch thick - with a dark lense that goes all around.. And put a sticker somewhere on the car that says, "Vehicle under 24 hour motion-detected surveilance".

In fact.. I wonder if I can actually get something like this for real...

Anyways.. back to the topic.. If you know of any particular alarm system that you love, does a great job, or meets my needs, please say so. Also, if you have any ideas for my "24 hour surveilance" thing, let me know...

kcnewell
02-06-03, 09:54 PM
I'm pretty sure that mine's made by COLT and it's the only kind I use....Works great!

elwesso
02-06-03, 10:02 PM
OK, here is what i have found:

To my knowledge and research, there is no 1 system that incorperates all this stuff. Rather, you would buy the seperate systems. For instance, i found a model that you buy the base unit, and then you can buy more sensors for more protection, and add in a pager. Most of this stuff is compatible with each other. You can get the paging devices, but they only work for a certain range. They come with their own pager. But, i have seen that they are fairly effective. Some actually show what part of the car is being tampered with. Some systems will page your personal pager or call your cell phone.

Most systems come with some sort of engine immobilizer, either fuel shut off (the most common) or starter disabler, a siren, some base sensors, and other nick nacks. I dont really have a favorite model, but i was looking around and i did find one model that does stick out:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-L4W6hE8atR3/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=2&g=801&I=514CG745I3&o=m&a=0

Personally, i wouldnt get something like this off the internet. Sometimes, the stores will have one setup so that you can play with it. But i would want to buy something like this where i can see it and the sales guy can explain everything i need to know in person.

I hope that helps, if you have any more questions let me know

BeelzeBob
02-07-03, 08:07 AM
Thanks a lot. That one did look pretty good. I would plan on going into a stereo store and ask for the product I find on the net. So I'd hope to find it somewhere to see in person.. I do need to get something soon because I don't want my car getting keyed..

elwesso
02-07-03, 08:02 PM
Is what i showed you pretty all inclusive, or do you need more features. Remember, you can never have too many gadgets.

Mad'lac
02-07-03, 08:06 PM
I prefer my double alarm....Colt .45 & Desert Eagle .50 :D
Something about us Texans and guns.
But seriously Clifford are good alarms. Never had any problem with them.

Dead Sled
02-07-03, 08:23 PM
I really should get an alarm for my ride, With all the toys in there, I don't want them to dissapear. Clifford whould be the direction I would head

BeelzeBob
02-07-03, 08:56 PM
The only thing I didn't see in there, Wes, was the radar around the vehicle.. I want something so that when the assneck with the key gets close enough, it starts doing some beeping.. Once I hear that, I'm out of bed, into shoes and outside ready to eat...

elwesso
02-08-03, 08:03 PM
I think most of them have that. I am not sure that they come standard, but you can definitely get some sensors and crap so that you will have the complete package. That is why i say buy it from a electronic store, theyll be able to give you all that stuff.

Mad'lac
02-08-03, 10:07 PM
Forget about the shoes Sal and grab the Desert Eagle!!! Good thing I got a garage for my car :D

Devil_concours
02-08-03, 10:37 PM
just a thought

kc in the back seat with a baseball bat sounds like the best alarm system available.

Mad'lac
02-08-03, 11:00 PM
LOL!!!!! Will he fit in the back seat?

Devil_concours
02-09-03, 12:08 AM
i guess that could be an issue. Well in that case we will have you sit in the back seat with your deagle. :D

Dead Sled
02-09-03, 12:10 AM
you need one of those anti-car jacking flame throwwers like you can get in S. Africa :D

Devil_concours
02-09-03, 12:15 AM
what about hooking up the car with some sort of battery so that anyone that touches it gets shocked. OF course this is going to require you to wear rubber gloves everytime. And if you do go with the shock alarm be sure to setup a hidden camera for us to see.

Dead Sled
02-09-03, 12:22 AM
too bad booby traps are illegal :D

elwesso
02-09-03, 10:00 AM
That would be sweet to have the shocking door handles, just like in james bond! The flame thrower might be a little far, but the shockers would be cool.

Dead Sled
02-09-03, 04:13 PM
Ill try to find a pic of one of those flame throwers. they are like a 4' pipe under the doors that shoot flames up the side of the car.

BUILDINGCTSAMG
03-31-03, 09:26 PM
unrelated but still cool i saw this anti-theft car alarm thing that would fill the car up with really thich smoke if tripped, making it impossible for the woud be thiefs to drive away. I think thats pretty cool. Hey also if your into this kinda custom stuff Sal, call your local audio customization place, i know a guy in Virginia who does this kinda work and is really good.

Mad'lac
03-31-03, 11:59 PM
I still would like that alarm that was on RoboCop2 I think. Where it would fry the car thief crispy.

eehoepp
04-02-03, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by BUILDINGCTSAMG
unrelated but still cool i saw this anti-theft car alarm thing that would fill the car up with really thich smoke if tripped, making it impossible for the woud be thiefs to drive away. I think thats pretty cool. Hey also if your into this kinda custom stuff Sal, call your local audio customization place, i know a guy in Virginia who does this kinda work and is really good.

Umm... Wouldn't the thief simply open the windows? If he/she didn't smash one to get in the car in the first place...

Seriously, I have heard of this system, but I think it was tear gas, not smoke. Personally, I'd fog the inside/outside of the car with pepper spray. Oh, sorry... BEAR REPELLANT! Honest, Yer Honor!. I set that system up 'cuz I was 'fraid of bears gettin' in & muckin' up the seats.

Brett
04-02-03, 06:38 PM
The ironic thing about PDA technology is that to get them to work we have to resort to poking them with a stick.

LMAO