: CTS V Sedan and Coupe - Rattles Creaks and Other Noises - Do Your Cars Have Them?

caddyhills
07-13-13, 01:45 PM
Hello Everyone-

I am seriously considering a 2013 V Coupe and would like to hear real input on have many creaks, rattles, general noises, etc. people are experiencing with their cars.

I have a 2011 CTS 3.6 and the car makes several creaking noises quite a bit from various areas. I have reservations of going
back into the same type of car, albeit $70K with more power (that may even heighten these problems), to have these build
quality issues.

Your community input would be greatly appreciated!

DCV
07-13-13, 02:55 PM
I think if you skip the sunroof you will get less creaks and cracks. My V sedan seems to make more noise in winter.

spearfish25
07-13-13, 02:57 PM
The only noise from my v wagon is a creak/rattle from the door trims. I was in a courtesy SRX and it had the exact same creaks. The radio helps and sometimes they just don't happen. I think a couple shims between panels will help. Going to try it when I have time.

I think any car regardless of price will have its flaws. You just get more upset by them as the purchase price increases. If I bought the $550k RR Phantom I sat in today, I'd be pissed if anything creaked, even once.

vfaninva
07-13-13, 04:34 PM
A little rattle from the console when I hit a pothole or rough patch of road. Otherwise, no problems.

Trapspeed
07-13-13, 06:33 PM
I'll take a creaking, popping interior with a solid, proven monster power train any day. I've learned to appreciate them as character more than anything. I can tell you this: no one I've taken on a ride even heard a creak over their "holy shits!", I'll guarantee you that!

USAFRET
07-13-13, 06:56 PM
Just from the entire console. It's worse than the squeaks and groans in my 1986 Dodge Aspen. Dealer has tried to fix it but to no avail. I give up. I can't make any excuses for a $71,000 car no matter how it performs.

JFJr
07-13-13, 06:57 PM
Don't forget about the 551ft/# of torque, that will stress any body structure. If I recall correctly, no production M or AMG developed in 2008 (when the V2 was developed) had to handle those kind of forces. So if you want to be critical about squeaks, etc., remember that. FYI, my 2009, and other V owners' cars on this forum, have none of these, so I question the sincerity of the whiny complaints in that area.

Jud

neuronbob
07-13-13, 07:36 PM
I drove my 09 V for 45k miles. By the time I traded for my V wagon, I had no major rattles. From day one, the center console creaked when the material was compressed. My V wagon does the same. This is one of the few visible signs of cheapness of the interior IMHO.

Frankly, for a supercar like this to have such relatively minor issues is amazing to me.

I would say, buy with confidence. The car is generally reliable and I had few problems with mine. I was confident enough in the platform to buy a second current gen V after four years.

RapidRob
07-13-13, 10:00 PM
- ^^^ - +3! Same here, quiet, solid, (and fast). Sorry that there are apparently a few others that are not however ... !?

Rob

kameau
07-13-13, 11:24 PM
I've had no noises other than tires spinning and the roar of the engine!

embassured
07-13-13, 11:32 PM
For starters, I'm fairly sensitive to sounds that I can't seem to fix...

I'll 2nd the center console with creaks from the armrest through the ashtray, which seems to be worse in the summer when the materials expand due to heat. The sunroof also has some minor creaks, which the dealer fixes and then they return in 6 or so months. FWIW, these noises are minor/sporadic and are not any different than what I have experienced in prior cars - including Lexus, Infiniti, Jag & Merc.

Again, these are minor issues that always seem to be present in every one of the 26 cars I've owned.

Inclusive of power, price, repair & maintenance costs, I can't find a better value than the V. I've had the car for two years, the longest of any yet, and can't find a reason to find a replacement even though I've been eyeing a XFR.

Good luck,
Eric

NEPA_Z
07-14-13, 01:04 AM
Hi, all. I thought I'd reply to this because squeaks and rattles drive me nuts so it's an area of concern in any car and really affects my perception of what I'm driving. I also drive a lot of miles so it's like accelerated-life testing in some ways. I had an old FWD STS and whatever its front-heavy dynamic shortcomings, that car was quiet and solid without squeaks or rattles even at 74k miles. I then had an 07 335i which loosened up somewhat from new and by 40k had some ticks and tocks from the headliner / sunroof and a few dash sounds plus a squeak from the seatbelt anchor - kinda subtle, nothing obnoxious, but not perfect, either. I liked that car a lot but traded it for a loaded 09 CTS because I loved the styling. From the start it had some sunroof creaks I addressed with some weatherstrip dressing (it didn't need constant reapplication like in my Audis). Then there's the console - ugh. It never made noise going down the road, but it made HIDEOUS, cheap noises if you leaned on it with your knee or just touched its various parts. The solution was an hour's worth of disassembly and application of tiny dabs of white lithium grease at the contact points. I took out the lid and compartment, the side wood pieces, the shifter surround, and the breastplate-thing with the controls since it was also creaky following instructions found online (although under warranty, I didn't expect the dealer would have done as thorough a job so I dove in). After the application and with a day or two in the sun to distribute the tiny amount of grease, it was like a different car - absolutely free of annoying noise from the center console from there on out (yes, the instrument bezel chrome trims make stupid cheap noises if you touch them, and the grease might have fixed those, too - but I never had any reason to touch them so I left 'em alone). I kept that CTS until about 68k and was always happy with its solidity - no noises from the dash, the sunroof, the headliner, the B-pillar trims, door panels, seats, etc.; very satisfying. I live in PA but drive a lot in NJ and NY on atrocious roads and I couldn't fault the car's solidity. I traded it for another 335i, this time a 2011, as I'd missed the turbo(s). It was much like the first - really quiet until about 40k when small noises appeared, including the headliner and the driver seatbelt B-pillar anchor / spool / whatever's in there. That went in favor of a CPO 550i, which I only had a ludicrously short time because it seemed trouble-prone. It had (28k?) miles and was very solid except a few noises from the zillion-way seats and one in the steering column I might have had to chase if I kept it. It went in favor of a CTS-V over which I'm pretty giddy. It had the same sunroof creak needing attention as my 09 when I got it, but the console seems better than my first one - maybe they improved things? - and otherwise at 11k miles I'm very happy with how quiet / solid it is. It's worth noting that both CTS's are far ahead of both of my Audis, admittedly from years back but both bought new and both with more creaks & judders from the door surrounds & weatherstripping than I could ever fix. I think the Caddys are quite competitive with my BMWs in this regard, even the $72k-when-new 550i. You could certainly say it's Mickey Mouse to have to 'fix' the center console on a new car, but on balance I think the car's pretty well done. My worst car for cheap sounds was my GTI, in which nearly every interior piece looked and felt expensive yet would make awful cheap rattles as miles piled up, especially in cold weather. I loved driving it but only with the stereo on. Cheers!

neuronbob
07-14-13, 09:53 AM
^^^^
Thanks for the comparison. Goes to show one that every brand has issues.

FinestKind-CTS-V
07-14-13, 11:14 AM
Hi, all. I thought I'd reply to this because squeaks and rattles drive me nuts so it's an area of concern in any car and really affects my perception of what I'm driving. I also drive a lot of miles so it's like accelerated-life testing in some ways. I had an old FWD STS and whatever its front-heavy dynamic shortcomings, that car was quiet and solid without squeaks or rattles even at 74k miles. I then had an 07 335i which loosened up somewhat from new and by 40k had some ticks and tocks from the headliner / sunroof and a few dash sounds plus a squeak from the seatbelt anchor - kinda subtle, nothing obnoxious, but not perfect, either. I liked that car a lot but traded it for a loaded 09 CTS because I loved the styling. From the start it had some sunroof creaks I addressed with some weatherstrip dressing (it didn't need constant reapplication like in my Audis). Then there's the console - ugh. It never made noise going down the road, but it made HIDEOUS, cheap noises if you leaned on it with your knee or just touched its various parts. The solution was an hour's worth of disassembly and application of tiny dabs of white lithium grease at the contact points. I took out the lid and compartment, the side wood pieces, the shifter surround, and the breastplate-thing with the controls since it was also creaky following instructions found online (although under warranty, I didn't expect the dealer would have done as thorough a job so I dove in). After the application and with a day or two in the sun to distribute the tiny amount of grease, it was like a different car - absolutely free of annoying noise from the center console from there on out (yes, the instrument bezel chrome trims make stupid cheap noises if you touch them, and the grease might have fixed those, too - but I never had any reason to touch them so I left 'em alone). I kept that CTS until about 68k and was always happy with its solidity - no noises from the dash, the sunroof, the headliner, the B-pillar trims, door panels, seats, etc.; very satisfying. I live in PA but drive a lot in NJ and NY on atrocious roads and I couldn't fault the car's solidity. I traded it for another 335i, this time a 2011, as I'd missed the turbo(s). It was much like the first - really quiet until about 40k when small noises appeared, including the headliner and the driver seatbelt B-pillar anchor / spool / whatever's in there. That went in favor of a CPO 550i, which I only had a ludicrously short time because it seemed trouble-prone. It had (28k?) miles and was very solid except a few noises from the zillion-way seats and one in the steering column I might have had to chase if I kept it. It went in favor of a CTS-V over which I'm pretty giddy. It had the same sunroof creak needing attention as my 09 when I got it, but the console seems better than my first one - maybe they improved things? - and otherwise at 11k miles I'm very happy with how quiet / solid it is. It's worth noting that both CTS's are far ahead of both of my Audis, admittedly from years back but both bought new and both with more creaks & judders from the door surrounds & weatherstripping than I could ever fix. I think the Caddys are quite competitive with my BMWs in this regard, even the $72k-when-new 550i. You could certainly say it's Mickey Mouse to have to 'fix' the center console on a new car, but on balance I think the car's pretty well done. My worst car for cheap sounds was my GTI, in which nearly every interior piece looked and felt expensive yet would make awful cheap rattles as miles piled up, especially in cold weather. I loved driving it but only with the stereo on. Cheers!

Great info, good post EXCEPT

FOR

THE

LACK

OF

PARAGRAPHS

WHICH

MAKES

IT

SO

HARD

TO

READ!

shchow
07-14-13, 11:37 AM
It's a car.
It's not a bank vault.
Yes, it will get dings, paint chips, and some creaks and rattles.
Consider it patina for the car.
If things like this bothers you, don't ever drive a car.

Sorry, that seemed harsh.
Stuff like this used to bother me.
But I guess some of my neurochemistry equilibrated and I no longer obsess over things that...
A) don't affect performance of the product,
B) I can't fix.

Club Malibu
07-14-13, 12:38 PM
18K miles. No sunroof. And more importantly, no recalled glove box.

No creaks, rattles or squeaks.

So who here has a 2009 or 2010 that had the glove box replaced and now has center console squeaks?????????

caddyhills
07-14-13, 12:52 PM
Thank you everyone for your responses, I really appreciate all of the valuable input. What a great forum!

Yes it is an amazing car and even with the new 2014CTS coming around the corner - my attention still gets taken to the current V/ V Coupe - just seems edgier and more driver focused/dynamic - of course won't really know that until the new car is out in the field so to speak. Just my perception.

Eric-

I have been eyeing n XFR too - but the V at the end of the day still as an edgier look to it - can't quite put my finger on it - the XFR is really nice - maybe nicer material/ finish choices with the interior, but 8/10ths - 9/10ths on the exterior compared to the V.

Again thanks for the responses!

RapidRob
07-14-13, 05:45 PM
18K miles. No sunroof. And more importantly, no recalled glove box.

No creaks, rattles or squeaks.

So who here has a 2009 or 2010 that had the glove box replaced and now has center console squeaks?????????

The dealer slipped the glove-box mod. by me during a service visit, without asking me first.:( But that was over a year ago, and so far no noises or rattles ... :)

Rob

Trapspeed
07-14-13, 06:28 PM
The dealer slipped the glove-box mod. by me during a service visit, without asking me first.:(

Rob

On recalls, do they have to? I'm not sure.

Jinx
07-14-13, 06:44 PM
The XFR is a very nice car. The interior is quintissentially British -- anybody else mixes that much chrome and wood and it looks tacky, but somehow the Brits pull it off.

The exterior is elegant and purposeful. I really miss the low roof of classic Jags, but the newer cats still have expensive-car proportions. The thing of it is that its styling elements are on the front end of popular trends. You'll see bits of this on everything from Astons to Infinitis, even Fords and Kias. In another ten years, it'll probably still look contemporary, but it might not look bold or distinctive.

The Cadillac, on the other hand, doesn't now and never will look like anything else. It might look dated in a decade, or even weird, but it won't be anonymous. Some people would say that's a bad thing; others love the idea.

.Jinx

embassured
07-14-13, 08:56 PM
CaddyHills,
The XFR is such a beautiful machine and the interior, IMO, rivals Aston. The only reason I've got my eye on one is because the expense of repairs, maintenance and resale value have faded since my STR. Just remember - rotors $1,000 per axle, torque converter $3,500, and oil changes at $100+ a pop. Another point of delineation; I tried to sell my STR for trade-in value for 3 months whereas I sold my V1 in 48 hours. Once you get past the factory warranty - there's almost a zero resale market unless you sell it well below any listed value. If you drive it to the wheels come off - good luck. In my town there's one Jag dealer and non-oem part support is nill and oem part prices are well protected through dealer channels.

BTW, glad I wrote this post - I think I'll hang on the V2 for a while longer!

Best,
Eric

RapidRob
07-14-13, 09:51 PM
On recalls, do they have to? I'm not sure.

I guess not - when I asked the SA about it, he said that the procedure was mandatory.

Rob

NEPA_Z
07-14-13, 11:26 PM
* This poster would like to express regret though not outright apology for any emotional anguish caused by his lack
of proper paragraphing... for some reason the editor wouldn't switch modes for me last night. Still, it's not exactly right up there with, say, third-world hunger or testicular cancer.

With apologies to Monty Python, those responsible have been sacked...

sykb47l
07-15-13, 08:18 AM
Passenger seat makes a ticking sound without a passenger. (can only hear without the radio on)

Dash rattles slightly when I park in the sun. (hardly ever park in the sun)

RaVeNous
07-15-13, 08:22 AM
The newer Cadillacs are not any worse than any other cars I've owned or spent any significant time in. My v2 is on par with other car in that class. Every car rattles.

warmwater
07-16-13, 04:23 PM
2013 ctsv coupe with 6k my only creak is the center console and it sounds like NEPA_Z has a fix or the dealer might have a fix. I just try not to touch it or lean on it.
I do notice some wind noise on the driver side not sure if its the seals or mirror, but it is only at highway speeds not sure if it's all the time or just with a cross wind. Only had the V 1 month and a bit.
Oh I have no sunroof and I do not miss it, I think the car looks better without it.

I do not like the piano black trim on the console would like a carbon fiber option or brushed or metal pattern like on BMW

OEM's and Manufacture should do more testing of plastics for noises in different temps or use other materials.

I think the CTS-V is a great ride and a great buy.

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-17-13, 12:30 PM
2013 ctsv coupe with 6k my only creak is the center console and it sounds like NEPA_Z has a fix or the dealer might have a fix. I just try not to touch it or lean on it.
I do notice some wind noise on the driver side not sure if its the seals or mirror, but it is only at highway speeds not sure if it's all the time or just with a cross wind. Only had the V 1 month and a bit.
Oh I have no sunroof and I do not miss it, I think the car looks better without it.

I do not like the piano black trim on the console would like a carbon fiber option or brushed or metal pattern like on BMW

OEM's and Manufacture should do more testing of plastics for noises in different temps or use other materials.

I think the CTS-V is a great ride and a great buy.

Hello warmwater,

I am happy to hear you think the CTS-V was a great buy and is a great ride. I see you are having an issue with the center console. Are you planning on bringing your vehicle into a dealership to work towards a resolution on this issue? Please let me know. I can also be contacted via private message if you would further like to discuss any concerns you may have.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

warmwater
07-17-13, 03:31 PM
Laura,

Thank you for responding, I am shocked and I think it's awesome that Cadillac looks at the forums and hopefully can be used for better customer service and feedback to product management and engineering.

Yes if its a know issue and can be resolved I'll have Sewell Cadillac get it fixed.

What I don't want is a minor creak to turn into a major one after service.

Thank you so much

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-17-13, 04:10 PM
Laura,

Thank you for responding, I am shocked and I think it's awesome that Cadillac looks at the forums and hopefully can be used for better customer service and feedback to product management and engineering.

Yes if its a know issue and can be resolved I'll have Sewell Cadillac get it fixed.

What I don't want is a minor creak to turn into a major one after service.

Thank you so much

Hi warmwater,

You are very welcome! I am glad to hear you think it's awesome we are engaged on these forums :) We are here to help! I see you are willing to work with the dealer if it can be resolved. Please be sure to keep us updated on the outcome and status.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

edtallon
07-24-13, 12:27 PM
I own a 2011 cts-v sedan with 12,000 miles on the odometer.
NO rattles or creaks or any other noises. Solid as a rock, Never had to take it to a dealer for any reason with the exception of a weak battery which was replaced under warranty,

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-24-13, 01:26 PM
I own a 2011 cts-v sedan with 12,000 miles on the odometer.
NO rattles or creaks or any other noises. Solid as a rock, Never had to take it to a dealer for any reason with the exception of a weak battery which was replaced under warranty,

Hello edtallon,

I am happy to read your CTS-V Sedan has been great for you, minus the battery which was replaced under warranty. Continue to enjoy driving your Cadillac around! Don't hesitate to contact us if any issues or concerns arise.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care