: Ride question

Darryl z
07-13-13, 11:29 AM
Hey everyone,
In the early '70's my parents had a '69 Sedan de Ville. I remember (as do they) it just floated along. I told people it was like driving a sofa, very comfortable and relaxing. In your opinion, how do the new Caddies ride as compared to the late '60's-early '70's models? Better or worse?

MoistCabbage
07-13-13, 11:51 AM
There is absolutely no comparison whatsoever. Longer wheelbases, marshmallows for springs, long suspension travel..... they floated over everything. Handling (think safety, not performance), was another story. There are still many modern cars that are quite comfortable, while holding the road much better, but you just don't get that "float" anymore.

deVille33
07-13-13, 12:13 PM
Newer models do handle better, but the ride has been compromised. The big heavies did not corner as well and you had to be sure your speed was down when exiting an interstate, but that ride was incomparable. The cabins seem to be insulated better on the newer models, so that road noise is minimal. Road shock on the other hand, not so good. Hard to get the best of both worlds, no matter what the application. :)

turbojimmy
07-13-13, 01:42 PM
And it should be pointed out that driving and riding are two different experiences. They ride great, but they're not a driver's car.

Aron9000
07-13-13, 04:33 PM
The 93-96 Fleetwoods are pretty soft and a little floaty, but the big improvement is in how quiet that car goes down the road. Its like riding in a tomb. The 94-04 Devilles were the same way, excellent ride and tomb quiet. That is if you bought the base, D'Elegance, or DHS trim. Buying the sportier Concourus or DTS trim did firm up the ride a little bit but IMO its worth it for the better handling.

I haven't had any real seat time in a newer 2006+ DTS, but I'd imagine its like the old car, buy the base trim if you want the floatier ride.

turbojimmy
07-13-13, 05:01 PM
The 93-96 Fleetwoods are pretty soft and a little floaty, but the big improvement is in how quiet that car goes down the road. Its like riding in a tomb. The 94-04 Devilles were the same way, excellent ride and tomb quiet. That is if you bought the base, D'Elegance, or DHS trim. Buying the sportier Concourus or DTS trim did firm up the ride a little bit but IMO its worth it for the better handling.

I haven't had any real seat time in a newer 2006+ DTS, but I'd imagine its like the old car, buy the base trim if you want the floatier ride.

The 2006+ Deville redesign was cosmetic - they're the same car undernetah. If you squint a little, my mom's '08 looks just like my '01. Driving it, it's pretty much identical. My '01 DTS was my favorite Caddy to date. It handled well, had plenty of snot and all the creature comforts you'd expect from a Caddy. I'd never buy another FWD Northstar, though. Too risky.

MoistCabbage
07-13-13, 09:50 PM
The '06+ DTS is not a Deville. The acronym stands for D series Touring Sedan (even on non performance models).

jayoldschool
07-13-13, 10:02 PM
I just call them "Ditzy"

MoistCabbage
07-13-13, 10:04 PM
Ditzy?

jayoldschool
07-14-13, 12:17 AM
DTS

DiTz(S)y

You'll think about it every time you see one now!

turbojimmy
07-14-13, 07:58 AM
The '06+ DTS is not a Deville. The acronym stands for D series Touring Sedan (even on non performance models).

It is a Deville, they just stopped calling them that because it sounds old. The Marketing people really screwed the pooch on that one, too. The DTS was the "sport" trim level on the Deville - the Touring. They also had the DHS - H for High Luxury. Then to confuse their audience they start calling them all DTS, and they had the same exact configurations (base, luxury and sport) but called them something different because it would be silly to have a DTS base and a DTS DTS. The former would be an oxymoron and the latter redundant.

If you see the pre-06 and 06+ side by side, you can see that they're exactly the same in the middle. They changed front and rear fascia and interior, but mechanically and dimensionally they were the same Devilles. Granted, the visual improvements were great but the car hadn't substantially changed since 2000, some would argue since 1995 mechanically.

Darryl z
07-14-13, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the replies. I agree, handling on the new ones is much better. But the older ones were wonderful machines. The term "Land Yachts" certainly fits

pompste
07-16-13, 04:03 AM
Hey everyone,
In the early '70's my parents had a '69 Sedan de Ville. I remember (as do they) it just floated along. I told people it was like driving a sofa, very comfortable and relaxing. In your opinion, how do the new Caddies ride as compared to the late '60's-early '70's models? Better or worse?

Can`t really compare the new Cads with the land yachts from the back in the day late '60`s early '70`s,since they`re so different.The new cads are over 2 feet shorter in length than the longest Cads ever,and narrower in width too.The older cads also had much "road hugging weight",which along with longer wheelbases and softer springs gave them the "floaty" ride.
My '78 Deville has a much more floatier ride than my '95 has.Then again my '95 has a much more quiet interior,more interior room,handles better and gets better gas mileage.
My aunt has an '04 DHS,i drove it several times.It handles well but i could`nt believe how much they shrunk the interior compared to previous era`s luxury Cadillacs.
Are you thinking of getting a Cadillac? Noticed you are new to the forum here.

Darryl z
07-16-13, 08:56 PM
No, as much as I'd like a Cadillac, it's not in the cards right now. I had a beautiful '78 Seville and my parents also had a '85 Seville and a '87 Brougham. My sister had a '76 Eldorado, so I've been around them on and off. The question came from reminiscing with Mom & Dad about that '69 Sedan de Ville. Thanks for your response

Faith76
07-16-13, 09:34 PM
Ride vs Drive is TOTALLY different. I actually rode in my car for the first time recently instead of driving it. It made me a little sick to my stomach from all that floating. Of coursem I had a alittle whiskey, and was nervous somebody was driving my baby, but still.

talismandave
07-16-13, 09:56 PM
No, as much as I'd like a Cadillac, it's not in the cards right now. I had a beautiful '78 Seville and my parents also had a '85 Seville and a '87 Brougham. My sister had a '76 Eldorado, so I've been around them on and off. The question came from reminiscing with Mom & Dad about that '69 Sedan de Ville. Thanks for your response

Well stick around here a while and we will get hooks into you!:devilheh:

I stopped in to get info/help on the only models I really liked (71-76) and now I have alerts set on claspic's app for just about anything Cadillac ever built!:histeric:

Luckily, I am poor and have very limited parking...because I am stupid enough to buy them all!:duh:

Fleet
07-17-13, 01:21 AM
One of my car friends took me for a ride in his 2010 DTS shortly after he bought it. He said, even before the ride, that it doesn't have the very soft ride of the classic Cadillacs that we are used to. He was right. The ride was okay, but not quite like the old Cadillacs. Also, the seats are on the firm side. I got in the rear compartment expecting to sink into the seat and that didn't happen.