: Drivetrain noise

253ctsv
07-13-13, 01:48 AM
Am I the only one with horrible drive train vibrations? I noticed it today while I was driving down the freeway in 6th there was an unusual vibration. It actually was so loud I was wondering if something were wrong. Then I noticed I heard it (to a lesser extent) every time I step on the gas. It was worse the lower the RPMs were. tge sound i guess i tgought was the engine. but its not. although ai noticed the 2 are related. when i push in the clucht and rev the engine the sound goes away. anyone know whats the deal?Much more at lower

HAMSTAR
07-14-13, 04:55 AM
Sounds like the dual mass flywheel weights are sticking or something.

rand49er
07-14-13, 08:57 AM
... It was worse the lower the RPMs were ...Not sure that this is meaningful since transmission of vibrations will change with frequency.

Did this just start suddenly, or do you think it's been coming on and is only now reaching the threshold of being noticeable?

HAMSTAR
07-14-13, 09:58 AM
Not sure that this is meaningful since transmission of vibrations will change with frequency.

Did this just start suddenly, or do you think it's been coming on and is only now reaching the threshold of being noticeable?

Yes it is meaningful because this is exactly the kind of complaint related to a DM flywheel going bad. Vibrations are worse under load at low RPMs-- for example when running in too low a gear.

253ctsv
07-14-13, 01:51 PM
Yes it is meaningful because this is exactly the kind of complaint related to a DM flywheel going bad. Vibrations are worse under load at low RPMs-- for example when running in too low a gear.

McLeod RXT clutch and 13lb fly wheel

----------

I think it's always made it i think. But it's worse. I swear it has something to do with my driveline and or rear end. The vibration kind of is the engine noise. A really low rumble like a big truck. But when I push the clutch in and rev it I can tell it's not the exhaust or anything. So it's pretty non existent at say 4500rpm. All I hear is motor. But at say 2000 it's this low pitch runble