: DMH cutout issues. Is he still around?

bneal1022
07-12-13, 03:10 PM
Hi everyone I have a question regarding DMH cutouts. Is he still active in making these I have not been able to reach him for support. After closing mine they slightly recoil open slightly allowing some exhaust to come out sounding like hell. This is causing the baffles to rattle against the baffle housing. Meaning they wont stay sealed when closed. Also mine rattle a lot at the joint between the motor plate and the baffle plate. I've continuously tightened and Loctite the 4 small Allen head bolts that join these two together to no positive result. minor approximately 2 1/2 years old with 5000 miles on them.

I tried emailing and calling with no response for quite some time.

NCOGNITO
07-12-13, 03:58 PM
I called just this week to place an order and still no answer from them after 3 days. I purchased something for my brother before Christmas and the transaction was smooth as silk. Dave agreed that he was turning his shop and customer service around but ... Maybe that hasn't happened.

I really want to get these over QTPs for the warranty difference of QTP's 90 day versus DMH's 4 year warranty, however what good is a 4 year warranty if you can get ahold of anyone for support.

Let us know if you are able to get any response out of them?

RyRidesMotoX
07-12-13, 09:02 PM
Maryland speed carries them... Maybe they can rustle him up for you. He may be real busy filling orders, maybe too busy for a single person order or warranty issue. I totally forgot about their cutouts... Qtp's are like $100 more for almost the same thing. Is the only difference between the 2 in qtp's ability to open the cutout at different degrees? Like half way, 1/4 and full? That ain't worth $100 imho

OneFast V
07-12-13, 09:07 PM
Maryland speed carries them... Maybe they can rustle him up for you. He may be real busy filling orders, maybe too busy for a single person order or warranty issue. I totally forgot about their cutouts... Qtp's are like $100 more for almost the same thing. Is the only difference between the 2 in qtp's ability to open the cutout at different degrees? Like half way, 1/4 and full? That ain't worth $100 imho

DMH can do the same thing. it just a switch that operates a motor/solenoid so in theory its infinitely adjustable.

RyRidesMotoX
07-13-13, 01:50 AM
DMH can do the same thing. it just a switch that operates a motor/solenoid so in theory its infinitely adjustable.

Oh... So QTP cutouts are made of diamond plated platinum then??? Lol

NCOGNITO
07-13-13, 09:50 AM
I think Maryland Speed's page says something explicitly about warranty service coming from the manufacturer (for this reason) and there have been previous posts that Maryland Speed was unable to provide any leverage when another person on the forums needed warranty assistance.

Frustrating that this is a product quite a few people want and the company doesn't have the time/interest/desire to keep up.

H-town_V
07-13-13, 10:53 PM
Does DMH sell replacement motors? I like that QTP does... Ill probably buy an extra motor whenever I order my mine, just incase one goes out ill have it ready replace.

NCOGNITO
07-14-13, 10:24 AM
I had no idea they would sell replace by motors, but sure enough they are listed in their site for $60. Thanks for pointing that out.

This may be enough for me to take the plunge and go with QTP and an extra motor as a spare.

bneal1022
07-14-13, 09:04 PM
At this point the rattle is troublesome and annoying. Yeah he has a warranty but useless unless you can reach him. May not be his fault. I'm considering just blowing money for a new set just to solve my problem. Summer and car sounds like poop because of baffles recoding open the slightest bit allowing a leaky exhaust sound when's want it closed. The motor to housing mount is also loose and can not be tightened more. Since I have his low pro I'm committed to DMH.

Wouldn't do it again.

----------

Maybe I just buy a set from a distributer. You may be right about dealing with 1 individual warranty is small beans, but he has not taken my call and the VM is full so he has no knowledge of me or my issue. What if I was a place ordering 100 sets? Oh well.

HAMSTAR
07-15-13, 05:50 AM
Have any of you considered the noweeds diverters?

Andringa
07-15-13, 11:33 AM

Never heard of them before, they look interesting. But, they are $800 for the dual 2.5" setup?

HAMSTAR
07-15-13, 12:20 PM
Never heard of them before, they look interesting. But, they are $800 for the dual 2.5" setup?

Yeah, they are really pricey. But they give a genuine performance gain, seem to be built very sturdily and have actual customer support. I would consider getting them in place of a catback.

05velocity
07-15-13, 02:17 PM
Mine have been rattling and leaking for over a year and I have never been able to get a response from DMH. Dave was really helpful when I bought them, shipped really fast and sounded like he would stand behind them. They worked great for the first year. Finally decided to fix them myself using this post as a guide; http://www.lxforums.com/board/f71/dmh-low-profile-cutouts-exhaust-leak-rattle-fix-218038/
Basically there are 2 small Phillips screws that attach the thin metal of the motor to the housing that come loose over time. The slop in the motor position causes the butterfly to back off when closed. It took my son and I a couple hours to complete the fix. Take pictures of the gears, the hardest part is getting the gear box back together.

I still would like to get a hold of Dave because one of my motors is running slower than the other. There are no markings on the motor to source a replacement.

mberisha
07-16-13, 03:24 AM

Wow....just checked out the noweeds website....looks like a pretty legit setup.....

I'll prob pull the trigger on them when I get back to the states....

HAMSTAR
07-16-13, 07:14 AM
Wow....just checked out the noweeds website....looks like a pretty legit setup.....

I'll prob pull the trigger on them when I get back to the states....

The V2 and Camaro guys like them. I'm not aware of any V1 guys who have run them yet. You'll have to check with them about fitment.

SoCalCTSV
09-11-13, 12:55 AM
Sucks to read this thread the day I get my DMH Cutouts. Got them from WeaponX.

http://imageshack.us/download/585/27qp.jpg

Should I be worried?? I have a 2012 Coupe with a B&B exhaust.

Weird....got this card in the box....

http://imageshack.us/download/842/7fm5.jpg

bneal1022
11-21-13, 02:59 PM
We'll Dave at DMH hasn't been returning my calls for 5 months now. He offers 4 year worthless warranty as mine were just under 2 years an rattles like hell. Weekend job reworking or replacing he said. We'll he has my low pro cutouts and my money from the order so I have nothing.

I've left everywhere from friendly to stern massages seeking even my original parts back. Nothing. I would never buy again from him. No contact no reply.

This sucks now I've got a modified exhaust with I cutouts and no way to get mine back or support for what I purchased. I could go to another place and buy all new DMH but due to the vibrations and rattles overtime = nope. Not again.

When I did last talk to Dave he stated he knew about the rattle development and was working on actually leaving the motor run to literally hold them closed as lash develops in the gears over time.

Oh we'll. guess I'm screwed.

OneFast V
11-21-13, 05:02 PM
We'll Dave at DMH hasn't been returning my calls for 5 months now. He offers 4 year worthless warranty as mine were just under 2 years an rattles like hell. Weekend job reworking or replacing he said. We'll he has my low pro cutouts and my money from the order so I have nothing.

I've left everywhere from friendly to stern massages seeking even my original parts back. Nothing. I would never buy again from him. No contact no reply.

This sucks now I've got a modified exhaust with I cutouts and no way to get mine back or support for what I purchased. I could go to another place and buy all new DMH but due to the vibrations and rattles overtime = nope. Not again.

When I did last talk to Dave he stated he knew about the rattle development and was working on actually leaving the motor run to literally hold them closed as lash develops in the gears over time.

Oh we'll. guess I'm screwed.

I'm in the same boat as you except i've never been able to get a hold of Dave to send my cutouts back. either way they rattle terribly so much so i almost never want to close them. However I have cut metal plate and used them as block off plates for now.

odla
11-21-13, 06:08 PM
Does someone live near him to pass by and see whats up?

bneal1022
11-22-13, 09:16 PM
One fast. Yeah mine are capped. I can replace that section of my exhaust as I have some stainless noodles. In the event I wanted to fully eliminate them. Just sucks. I may buy a more reputable brand. Not baffles but slide plate style and move back to before mufflers and not behind my cat (as they are now). Out several hundred and no parts to boot.

Good question if anyone can stop by in OH. But who knows. Loved them but alas....

Style like this: not baffle but slide plate style. Anyone know if these are better or not? Pros, cons to this over baffle style ?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dou-dec300ak?seid=srese1&gclid=CJHJtave-boCFepQOgodqikAEQ

PISNUOFF
11-23-13, 09:16 AM
It's down by Cincinnati, unfortunately that is 280 miles and 5 hours away from me.

OneFast V
11-23-13, 01:15 PM
It's down by Cincinnati, unfortunately that is 280 miles and 5 hours away from me.

Have you had any issues with yours to date?

LS6Steve
11-27-13, 08:37 PM
I've had mine taken off for a couple months now, sitting there waiting to be rebuilt as best as I can due to vibration and a loose motor. I won't even bother with DMH, that place is useless. All the parts that make up this thing can be fabricated if needed, and the motor or a similar one that will work can be sourced.

I actually didn't even make block off plates, I just leave it wide open all the time. I was surprised at the difference in sound with them off versus having the open valves installed... much louder and deeper. The open butterfly flaps actually block the flow significantly!

05velocity
11-27-13, 11:13 PM
Between my last post in July and now he did answer his phone and he quickly sent a replacement motor and gear box. Unfortunately when I put the new one in I noticed the other one was starting to leak. I made numerous attempts to call him and randomly one day got him to pick up he said you will have it by the weekend that was in July/August. I told him that he is getting beat up in multiple forums about this and that when I received it I would post some positive feedback. Still waiting to do that.

Seems like this is not his core business and he's not giving it the attention it requires. I also tried sourcing the motor they won't sell it to you and a distributor wants $100.
Dave is well aware of the defective way the motor is fastened to the gearbox, he said he is looking at a billet cover to solve the problem.

Nice guy but my DMHs have been off the car on the bench too long. I call and email regularly to no avail. Certified letter is next. What I have learned is that if you have the time to email and call him everyday all day you will finally catch up with him. I don't have that kind of time.

If you luck out and get a new one from him take it apart and use some high temp locetite on the the 2 motor screws, should last a bit longer.

Still waiting ...Come on Dave make this right!

bneal1022
02-01-14, 12:42 PM
Just feel like bumping this up again.

No cutouts being repaired as he promised to honor his useless warranty. no parts, no refund, no response to countless inquiries. Nothing

So want to thank DMH for having over $400 of my money or material and I've got nothing.

SoCalCTSV
02-01-14, 02:18 PM
That's why I sold mine before I even installed them.