: My First problem with my 2001 DTS if anyone can help?

2001DTS_Ontario
02-24-05, 07:17 PM
While parked waiting for the missus, my 2001 dts stalled. After several attempts it eventually started up with the engine light staying on. It ran fine all the way back home. After shutting it off, it does start but only after it turns over several times.

I checked the codes by pressing the on/off and up button then left it cycle through the codes. The following is what was displayed..what it means ????

IRC U1064 History
U1016 History
U1144 History

PCM P0335 Current. - I looked on a chart and found it to be "CKP Sensor A circuit performance" ?????

RCC u1000 history.

Is the car safe to drive with these codes?
Am I looking at $$$$ to correct? I do have an extended warranty BUT if the fix is reasonable I would pay myself.

Any help or information is appreciated.

EdM

Ranger
02-24-05, 08:35 PM
Crank shaft position sensor. I seem to recall that was a problem on 01's or there abouts and it was redesigned. There are two of them. No idea on $$$. It is safe to drive but not reliable.

2001DTS_Ontario
02-24-05, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the reply, I was more concerned about doing more damage rather than the cost of the repair.

caddydaddy
02-24-05, 10:04 PM
It's safe to drive, but it could still stall some more. There was a problem with the crank sensors in 2000 and 2001. I don't think the sensors are that much, but if your extended warranty covers it, use that!

BeelzeBob
02-24-05, 10:08 PM
Replace the crank sensors with the latest versions availalbe from service parts. They have been superceded several times....

2001DTS_Ontario
02-24-05, 10:15 PM
Thanks again, just been doing my homework on these things. I think I'm understanding what it does and whats involved. The extended warranty I have has a 50% refund clause if its not used. So I am being careful. If its anywhere close to the deductable I'll just pay cash. Thanks again all for the great response and advice. If I can ask another question..the codes that say History beside them, are they related to the above as well?

caddydaddy
02-24-05, 10:25 PM
History codes are codes that there was a problem, but it doesn't exist at that exact moment.
If the problem is happening currently, the code will say Current.

2001DTS_Ontario
02-24-05, 10:30 PM
thanks again