: Seville Paint Match

bdk4444
07-12-13, 11:11 AM
I have a 2000 Seville that had some rust spots (cheap aftermarket hood from previous owners accident). I sanded them out and it painted with the recommended Duplicolor paint, but it does not match at all.

My dealer says it is a paint code WA519F from the VIN. I can not find the sticker with the code. I know at its age there is some fading but the "match" according to Duplicolor, BGM0501, is much darker.

Is there another brand?

When a car gets a certain age do they discontinue and direct you to a close enough?

I did not put a clear coat on thinking it would not help until I get the match figured out.

Thank you.

Submariner409
07-12-13, 11:28 AM
The RPO sticker and paint codes are under the spare tire cover.

Look up your car/year/color in www.paintscratch.com (http://www.paintscratch.com)

Your car is 14 years old - if it has not been garaged the original paint has faded and a premium new mix will NOT match. Most good body shops take this into account and do a color spectrometry paint match - they then mix their own batch for your car.

Forget Duplicolor - Our tricoat paints require expensive, premium paints and matching.

Ranger
07-12-13, 09:12 PM
It's not a tri-coat color. I believe that is a Galaxy Silver Metalic. Like Sub said, Paint Scratch is your best bet.

Faith76
07-12-13, 11:11 PM
It's not a tri coat color. From my B/F ( works for LKQ and paints) "Most modern cars with base coat/clear coat don't fade too much. Brush touch up paint is usually mixed in an acrylic enamel, which inherently will not match a base coat/clear coat well. Additionally, the paint that is on the car was sprayed on and your brush touch will not have the same metallic orientation because you are brushing and not spraying. You could have a small amount of base coat mixed up which would probably be closer in color, then brush on a lacquer or enamel clear. This might give you better results, but it won't be perfect unless you have the panel repainted. It's virtually impossible to have a brush touch (especially silvers) match."

MoistCabbage
07-12-13, 11:15 PM
:yeah:

You're never going to get a close match with a spot repair.

Ranger
07-13-13, 10:16 AM
Years ago I did a touch up on there rear "bumper" of my now son-in-laws silver SUV. I ordered the paint (in a spray can) from paint scratch.com. The match was perfect and except for a self inflicted paint sag, it was otherwise undetectable. Paint scratch.com matches your color via your VIN. I highly recommend them.