: remote starters not working and ticking noise when I open the hood

mr888
07-11-13, 09:42 PM
2008 sts 3.6 di remote starters not working no engine code its remote 2# I've gone through the steps to starting it and the lights just flash it makes a ticking noise when I do that the check is on the remote start in the dash I heard somebody else on talking about a hood switch could this have something to do with ??? also when I open the hood of my car seems to make a ticking noise as if it's trying to start has anybody experienced this noise or know about the remote start????

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-11-13, 11:06 PM
Hello mr888,

I apologize that your remote starter is not working on your STS. I do see that you are reaching out to the community to see if they have had the same experience or have any input. I wanted to extend my assistance in working with a dealership if you were thinking about taking it to one to get diagnosed. Please private message me if this is something that you would like to do. Thank you very much for taking the time to read my post.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

mr888
07-12-13, 07:24 PM
no, thanks , can anyone help me???

EChas3
07-12-13, 10:08 PM
Does fob #1 remote start the car?

If so, maybe fob 2 is matched as the third or fourth and only the first 2 can do this trick. Alternatively, the option isn't turned on for driver 2. Personalization is done through the radio. If you don't have a manual, get one. They are available free in pdf. (See the stiky' thread at the top of the forum for a link.)

Most trouble lights will prevent remote start. If neither fob works, it could be the stuff above but the hood switch or other fault starts sounding plausible.

mr888
07-14-13, 03:45 AM
thanks ill try that

----------

i dont have fob #1 remote just #2 i just got the car the option is turned on for driver 2

Loren
07-14-13, 10:58 AM
I have the same thing with mine. When I open the hood I get this wierd clicking and whirring sound coming from somewhere in there. It stops after several seconds and doesn't seem to cause any thing to happen, just kind of strange.

EChas3
07-14-13, 07:08 PM
The car won't remote start with the hood open, either.

The most common source of this trouble is not having the oringinal fobs; i.e. the fob(s) are not matched as #1 or #2. I hope you do have the physical key. Without it, you can't re-program any fobs you do have and you can't add any new ones. You are also in danger of owning a 2 ton brick if the car battery dies.

mr888
07-16-13, 04:20 AM
yes I'm not trying to start it when the hood is open but when the car is off and for instance I'm just checking the oil or just When I open the hood that will make a clicking noise as Loren is having the same thing wierd clicking and whirring sound coming from somewhere..

i just have one fobs it has a #2 on it it has a key in it too ,is this good? thats not good a 2 ton brick if the car battery dies why is that and how do I avoid this?

Guy.Seminerio
07-16-13, 01:13 PM
He's saying that because if the battery dies you won't be able to get into the car. So it'll be useless as a brick. But you can get in! Call a locksmith, he'll slide some inflatable balloon crap into the top of your back door and pull up the door lock thing one one of the back doors.

Doesn't matter, you have the key. You're saying you have a clicking whirring noise from under the hood, when you're working under there, checking the oil, etc. You're saying you get this noise when you're NOT trying to start the car. Am understanding right? Is it happening after a long drive?

ddalder
07-16-13, 01:47 PM
Is it possible that this whirring noise is your blower motor? Depending on circumstances and how your HVAC module is programmed, this could be the afterblow feature turning on.

mr888
07-16-13, 05:36 PM
ya can always just break into it if the battery dies, I'm not trying to start the car i'm just opening the hood to check the oil or just looking at something it makes a ticking noise followed by an electrical sound this happens a few times, I just bought the car so I'm not sure if this is normal.remote start is still not working and I'm aware that remote start will not work if the hood is open..

----------

I'm not sure if its the blower motor like I said the scars new to me if the car seats for a full day and I go just to pop the hood the noise will start happening

----------

remote starter just worked I have the number#2 fob and it was programmed to start in the display for driver number 1 did it to driver number #2 and it started :) don't know what this noise is when I pop the hood every time its not a problem at this point I just wanted to know if anyone have the same issue thanks for all your help you guys are the best;)

EChas3
07-16-13, 11:25 PM
These cars are never really 'off'. There's always power to all systems. They are turned on or set to stand-by by the different modules and main computer. Don't worry.

I'm glag you found the source of your issue.

Enjoy!

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-17-13, 09:18 AM
ya can always just break into it if the battery dies, I'm not trying to start the car i'm just opening the hood to check the oil or just looking at something it makes a ticking noise followed by an electrical sound this happens a few times, I just bought the car so I'm not sure if this is normal.remote start is still not working and I'm aware that remote start will not work if the hood is open..

----------

I'm not sure if its the blower motor like I said the scars new to me if the car seats for a full day and I go just to pop the hood the noise will start happening

----------

remote starter just worked I have the number#2 fob and it was programmed to start in the display for driver number 1 did it to driver number #2 and it started :) don't know what this noise is when I pop the hood every time its not a problem at this point I just wanted to know if anyone have the same issue thanks for all your help you guys are the best;)

Hello mr888,

It seems the community was able to offer great advice to your situation; I am glad they were able to help and your remote starter issue was resolved. If there are ever additional questions or concerns, we can be contacted via private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

mr888
07-17-13, 01:34 PM
thanks for all your great advice and help guys!!!!