: LT1 engine in '15 CTS-V?

S625H
07-11-13, 09:36 PM
Does anyone have any facts on the engine in the '15 CTS-V. I hear it's the Corvette direct injection LT1 engine.

when will the 15 CTS-V be available?

Torxila
07-11-13, 10:32 PM
Where did you hear that?

MoistCabbage
07-11-13, 10:35 PM
The LT1 hasn't been used since '97.

Xaqtly
07-11-13, 10:39 PM
The reused the name LT1 for the new 6.2 V8 in the C7 Corvette. So yes, a supercharged version of that - or maybe turbocharged - is almost guaranteed to be in the next CTS-V. GM hasn't confirmed anything, it just fits with everything we know about GM and the CTS-V. With MPG a priority for them now they're going to want DoD, direct injection, active fuel management in the next CTS-V, and the new LT1 is now a parts bin motor, that's how they made the LSA.

Kmajecki
07-11-13, 10:39 PM
The LT1 hasn't been used since '97.

^shaking my head..

Its the next generation Vette engine. Recycling the LT name

MoistCabbage
07-11-13, 10:42 PM
Aaaaaand more confusing product naming from GM...

S625H
07-11-13, 10:50 PM
I heard 600 HP on the '15 CTS-V LT1 motor. Lingenfelter says limited up-tuning potential because of direct injection. We'll see......

Jinx
07-12-13, 12:08 AM
No one has any facts on the engine in the '15 CTS-V. (The above speculation of a supercharged LT1 is based on Corvette facts and a leaked render of a future Corvette engine bay and is pretty solid, though.)

No one knows when the '15 CTS-V will be announced, or even if it will be a '15 at all.

S625H
07-13-13, 05:11 PM
thanks Jinx. I just bought a 14 CTS-V sedan and it's the old body style. I also hear the CTS-V coupe might not be produced at all.
any idea?

Jinx
07-13-13, 07:41 PM
What color is the new ride?

I haven't heard anything concrete about the ATS or CTS coupes. They're off, they're on, they're off, they're on, I've lost track.

LSUFoolsball
07-14-13, 02:29 PM
The new CTS-V is called the VSport it going to have a Twin Turbo V6 450HP

Xaqtly
07-14-13, 03:02 PM
No, the Vsport is an intermediate model. It's not the new CTS-V.

Trapspeed
07-14-13, 03:04 PM
No, the Vsport is an intermediate model. It's not the new CTS-V.

What he said. The V-Sport is NOT the new V3.

Looney100
07-14-13, 08:33 PM
And there may never be a V3. I'm doubtful because:

1) The V-sport monicker dilutes the value of the "V" branding and makes it confusing. They can't sell a CTS-V alongside a V-Sport without confusing the hell out of customers.

2) The pricing announced for the V-Sport of a $59K base price puts it too close to the current V pricing. If they try and slot another model above the V-Sport, you're looking at an $80 - 90K car, which is getting awfully close to M5 and E63 territory, and I don't think the marketplace will support that.

3)What caddy has done with the V looks eerily similar to what Lexus did with the IS-F (which has been killed off): They launched a next gen chassis, but kept the IS-F for another year on the old chassis, while creating a bunch of "F-Sport" models without the power of the IS-F, then killed the IS-F.

Jinx
07-14-13, 09:10 PM
1. "They can't sell a CTS-v alongside a V-Sport without confusing the hell out of customers."
M sport and M.
S-line and S.
The market disagrees.

2. Why shouldn't a CTS-V that competes with the M5 and E63 in every way be competitively priced?

3. The performance reputation isn't as important to Lexus as it is to Cadillac. And few outside the most loyal Lexus fans would argue that the IS-F was as successful as the Vs have been.

Looney100
07-15-13, 01:25 AM
Time will tell. I hope to see a V3. But....

Audi "A4 S line" vs. "Audi S4"
BMW "550 M sport" vs. BMW "M5"
Cadillac "CTS-V" vs. "CTS V-sport"
You must admit that the Cadillac names are more similarly and confusing than the others. There are many on this enthusiasts forum that have been confused.

2. If the marketplace saw a CTS -V as a similar value as an M5 or E63, there wouldn't be a $27K gap between their starting prices. Cadillac can't match prices with them.

3. I'll agree that the CTS-V is widely seen as a success while the IS-F will wallow in obscurity.

RaVeNous
07-15-13, 08:15 AM
It would make more sense to me for a V3 to get special direct injection awd twin turbo V6platform, because I can't imagine a twin turbo or supercharged version of the new LT-1 is going to net a lot more power than the LSA and keep the price anywhere reasonable. They would be better off adding AWD, to a tuned version of the v-sport, because 700hp in a blown LT-1is still not taking the V3 deep into 3's of 0-60 times on street tires. The new Benz and Audi are in the 3.5-3.7 range already. In order for the V3 to be as ground breaking as the V1 it must be in that range. Whatever the case, I'm sure the V3 will be bad ass and $$$.

Jinx
07-15-13, 08:37 AM
1. A few have been confused. Most have just been butthurt.
2. We're talking about V3. Past performance does not always indicate future results. After all, V2 wasn't the same as V1. Also, I bet used prices of V2 close that proportionate gap against its German contemporaries.

----------

Bmw m5, 3.7 0-60.

DiamondWhtV
07-15-13, 01:26 PM
1. A few have been confused. Most have just been butthurt.
2. We're talking about V3. Past performance does not always indicate future results. After all, V2 wasn't the same as V1. Also, I bet used prices of V2 close that proportionate gap against its German contemporaries.

----------

Bmw m5, 3.7 0-60.

You might want to include "A few have been confused..." to include the salesmen and service folks at the Cadillac dealership as well. Some of the ones I talked to didn't know about the VSport...they are thinking sport only without the V and the saying there is only one V - the V series. So there will be more than a few that will be confused over the next several months until launch.

garfin
07-15-13, 02:07 PM
The new CTS-V is called the VSport it going to have a Twin Turbo V6 450HP
This is a perfect example of the confusion that can be caused by using the term "V-Sport"! (and I believe the TT 3.6 will be rated at 420 HP.)

...and lest we forget the original LT-1, which was a higher compression, solid lifter high-performance variant of the 350 which produced horsepower ratings from 370 bhp when it was introduced in the '70 'Vette (and 360 in the 70 1/2 Z/28) to 255 net HP with a 9:1 compression by the time it was phased out after the 1972 MY.

Best regards,

Elie

JFJr
07-15-13, 09:15 PM
I'm holding out for your average country club lizard that buys a V3 thinking that it's a V Sport, floors it and loses control of the car and his sorry fat ass. Great marketing GM.

Jud :lildevil:

garfin
07-15-13, 09:51 PM
I'm holding out for your average country club lizard that buys a V3 thinking that it's a V Sport, floors it and loses control of the car and his sorry fat ass. Great marketing GM.

Jud :lildevil:

LOL!

...but that scenario ain't gonna happen.

The lizard (who thinks he's driving a V-Sport), will never get his sorry fat ass in trouble because he won't have a clue as to how to turn all the nannies off!!

He'll be so limited, controlled and dialed back, the car just plain won't ever let him get sideways - unless he figures out which buttons to press, for how long and in what sequence!
...and don't ever tell him about the no-lift shift!

IMHO, this marketing ploy just does nothing to preserve the equity GM has done such a great job with in building the V brand since 2005.

Best regards,

Elie

JFJr
07-15-13, 09:55 PM
IMHO, this marketing ploy just does nothing to preserve the equity GM has done such a great job with in building the V brand since 2005.

Best regards,

Elie
That's the bottom line. GM don't screw up what you've done.

Jud

garfin
07-15-13, 10:01 PM
Here's a great overview of where Chevy sees the new LT1 in the overall scheme of things. There are a few realistic hints in this interview that could easily be applicable to a V3... and these hints are coming from James Bell who is Chevy's head of Consumer Affairs.
http://www.lsxtv.com/features/interviews/five-questions-chevy-head-of-consumer-affairs-james-bell/?utm_

Best regards,

Elie

Jinx
07-15-13, 11:24 PM
Please stop posting links to lsxtv.com articles. I always go there and start reading the article with the linking thread in mind, but about halfway down I completely forget why I'm there.

shchow
07-16-13, 03:32 AM
And there may never be a V3. I'm doubtful because:

1) The V-sport monicker dilutes the value of the "V" branding and makes it confusing. They can't sell a CTS-V alongside a V-Sport without confusing the hell out of customers.

2) The pricing announced for the V-Sport of a $59K base price puts it too close to the current V pricing. If they try and slot another model above the V-Sport, you're looking at an $80 - 90K car, which is getting awfully close to M5 and E63 territory, and I don't think the marketplace will support that.

3)What caddy has done with the V looks eerily similar to what Lexus did with the IS-F (which has been killed off): They launched a next gen chassis, but kept the IS-F for another year on the old chassis, while creating a bunch of "F-Sport" models without the power of the IS-F, then killed the IS-F.

2) I suspect the V3 will have a 10k premium over the V2, which translates to around 80k LOADED.
M5 and E63 loaded are easily pushing over 100k.
That is not the same fiscal territory.
Even if the V3 ends up being 10k less than its German rivals loaded, it would still be a great buy.