: Excuse me miss (What have YOU been pulled over for lately?)

Faith76
07-11-13, 06:35 PM
A construction worker signaled me over the the side of the road today to tell me I had run over someone's antenna and it was sticking out of my wheels.... I have curb feelers. What's the dumbest thing you've been "pulled over" for? :thehand:

vincentm
07-11-13, 06:37 PM
uhm....o...k...

MoistCabbage
07-11-13, 06:45 PM
I've been pulled over 3 times in 30 minutes on a 2 mile, and what should have been 5 minute ride home... for a burnt out headlight.

I've also been pulled over for beeping, twice.

Once for beeping at someone stopped at an intersection, having a conversation with someone on the sidewalk. I gave them 10 or so seconds before beeping. The cops' reason was excessive noise... For 2 quick "toots"???!!!

And once for beeping at someone who ran a stop sign and almost made me plow into them. The cruiser was RIGHT behind the person who ran the sign when it happened, but decided to pull me over instead of them. The cops' reason this time was road rage... Seriously?????

Another time I was pulled over for changing lanes 3 times in ~1/2 mile/under a minute. I was taking directions from someone, and they were confused. I change lanes pretty slow, and I always signal.

Submariner409
07-11-13, 06:53 PM
I was pulled over in October of 2010 by the Maryland State Police (2 cars) for carrying a shotgun in the rack across the rear window of one of the trucks - during deer season in Dorchester County (unmarred by 300 years of progress). The reason I was stopped - "Sir, How old is that model 12 ???"

drewsdeville
07-11-13, 06:55 PM
I've been pulled over 3 times in my driving career. I was guilty all three times, and there was no misunderstanding during any of the stops. One was a warning, the other two were tickets.

The way it should be - police taking care of actual violators rather than the sorry excuses that we all hear (and are hearing in this thread) about.

vincentm
07-11-13, 07:05 PM
got a ticket 2 weeks ago for noise pollution, i had my stereo on 5...

truckinman
07-11-13, 07:20 PM
Smuggling Mexicans across the boarder................or so the dumbass state troopers of Texas thought.. Reasoning? My semi truck and trailer were, and I quote verbatim, "your truck and trailer is to nice and new for this area". My reply out of aggravation "I'm sorry Ohio has more money to spend on nice trucks than southern TX".

Hoosier Daddy
07-11-13, 07:30 PM
What's the dumbest thing you've been "pulled over" for? :thehand:
Does it matter who was dumb? Does it matter if you were pulled over or is an attempt to pull you over enough?

In the late '60s I was pulled over by a state trooper on the interstate in Oklahoma at about 3AM. I was driving a '62 Corvair with body parts of 3 different colors and AZ plates. The STATED reason for stopping me? My car matched the description of a bank robbery getaway car! I'm guessing he was just bored out of his mind.

I already mentioned in another thread about being seen doing over 165 MPH by a deputy sheriff in the late '80s. I received a written warning for 110 MPH in a 45 (or 50) zone. I never knew they were chasing me until they finally caught up with me munching on an apple at the side of the road. I'm guessing that without a plate number and having lost sight of me, they couldn't make anything stick in court or they didn't want their buddies to hear (in court) their "prey" didn't even know they were chased.

I know there are some cops on the forums. I wouldn't mind hearing if there are other likley explantions for either "stops" and outcomes. Both times the cops were friendly and easy going, although with the latter they were very tense at first which I chalked up to adrenelin of a high speed chase, if its called a chase with just one party; seems more like a sound of one hand clapping deal.

Faith76
07-11-13, 07:56 PM
I think the construction worker's buddies put him up to it. I had been waiting for a long time to make it down the street by my house that was temporarily one lane. They were laughing as he was talking to me. He had obviously never seen curb feelers!

MoistCabbage
07-11-13, 08:00 PM
Not many people have... Since the early '80's :) .

Faith76
07-11-13, 08:02 PM
I am sort of an anomaly in my tiny town.

orconn
07-11-13, 08:17 PM
I thought curb feelers went out in the late fifties. Do they still them at Pep Boys?

ben.gators
07-11-13, 08:20 PM
I never have been pulled over.... And I drive fast, however, I drive safely fast, if it makes sense....:rolleyes:

MoistCabbage
07-11-13, 08:27 PM
I thought curb feelers went out in the late fifties. Do they still them at Pep Boys?Nope.

truckinman
07-11-13, 08:32 PM
I never have been pulled over.... And I drive fast, however, I drive safely fast, if it makes sense....:rolleyes:

Maybe that's what I should tell the cops next time I get pulled over for speeding,,,, "but, officer, I was speeding safely". Hm

ben.gators
07-11-13, 08:38 PM
Maybe that's what I should tell the cops next time I get pulled over for speeding,,,, "but, officer, I was speeding safely". Hm

Don't be like that!
I meant I am careful where and when I am speeding, and maybe that is why I haven't been caught.... Or even maybe sometimes a cop saw me speeding, but because I wasn't putting the others in danger, he didn't care....

Cops are very sensitive to suspicious cases. If they feel that something is going on, or if they think that the driver is under the influence, they will pull you over immediately!

SissyBoyFloyd
07-11-13, 08:40 PM
Driving naked. Stupid really. What business was his and why/how did he know I had no pants on? How could he even see at that angle while sitting in his cruiser?

truckinman
07-11-13, 08:42 PM
Don't be like that!
I meant I am careful where and when I am speeding, and maybe that is why I haven't be caught.... Or even maybe sometimes a cop saw me speeding, but because I wasn't putting the others in danger, he didn't care....

I was just messin anyway lol. I knew what you meant. I'm same way. Like on back roads and such.

Kingoftypos
07-11-13, 08:45 PM
I was pulled over a couple years ago. I was turning onto I-395 in Preston, CT. The two state cops were on the grass. They both were outside leaning on their cars talking. I got on the highway and was about 1/2 mile or more away when I saw them in the mirror come screaming down. I just kept on going until the pull right up behind me and turned their lights on. I was in the process of exiting the highway so I just continued to exit. By this time it was 2 miles had passed.

Anyways, the reason for the pull over. Is because I had a string of LEDs just under the hood. I wanted to use them as the DRL, instead of the factory amber lights as the first gen CTS has.

"Sir, those lights are too blue."
"They are considered white, but they are LEDs and they tend to have a blue-ish tint to them. They aren't a perfect 4,500K."
"Well we think they are blue because the light is reflecting off of your blue car."

And my tax money pays for these two idiots...

I wish I had a picture with the lights. But I took them off very quickly. Because I live in a two plate state and I didn't want to get pulled over and forced to put the front plate on. The officer asked me about it and I said that the auto body shop didn't put it back on. Little did the officer know, I told the shop not to put it back on. Lol

http://i836.photobucket.com/albums/zz283/kingoftypos/100_2579.jpg

I don't see how that dark ass blue is going to reflect light and make it blue.

KOT

MoistCabbage
07-11-13, 08:47 PM
If they feel that something is going on, or if they think that the driver is under influence.....Or Dunkin was out of glazed.

ben.gators
07-11-13, 08:55 PM
There is an old thread in CTS-V section about such stories. The funniest case was a guy, returning back from Vegas with a stripper, and he was doing 140-150 MPH in his V1! When he saw the cops, he thought they are regular guys trying to race him, so he kept playing with them for couple of miles.... He was slowing down to let the cops get closer, and then speeding again..... Finally he realized that they are cops, so he pulled over.

The funniest part of the story is that the cops let him go and didn't arrest him because the stripper was crying and they felt bad! :D

conclusion: If you want to drive fast, have a stripper with yourself!

Faith76
07-11-13, 09:05 PM
I thought curb feelers went out in the late fifties. Do they still them at Pep Boys?

I got them on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007JOOKJM/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

----------

Driving naked. Stupid really. What business was his and why/how did he know I had no pants on? How could he even see at that angle while sitting in his cruiser?

Did he see your "curb feeler" over the dashboard?

MoistCabbage
07-11-13, 09:15 PM
Did he see your "curb feeler" over the dashboard?ROFLMAO! :histeric::histeric::histeric::histeric::histeric:

donwon
07-11-13, 09:22 PM
First time I went to town in my first car. 51 Ford. He hadn't seen me before and wanted to know who I was.
We went to the same church and he knew me.
Next time the police heard me speeding. Wasn't me but he wanted to give me a ticket anyway. I did get a lecture. While he was lecturing me they called on his radio and said they cought the car that was speeding.I was 16 at the time.

DBA-One
07-11-13, 09:25 PM
A cop pulled me over and claimed I was coming in the opposite direction with my highbeams on. He said he flashed his lights but I did nothing to turn my lights to low. Um, no. I told him I was coming down a side street and saw him pass (I was going north and he west) so it would have been hard for me to do what he claimed. Worse, how dumb would I have to beto have my brights on and blind a cop? He "let me off" with a warning. What a nice guy. Other than that I've had two speeding tickets and I deserved both of them.

Hoosier Daddy
07-11-13, 09:28 PM
You better not be implying my 165+ isn't safe.

truckinman
07-11-13, 09:31 PM
I was actually pulled over once in my jeep bc the officer simply wanted to ask me how I liked the Firestone destination A/T tires. Lol. He was thinking bout buying the same tire for his jeep. Lol

DBA-One
07-11-13, 09:38 PM
I was actually pulled over once in my jeep bc the officer simply wanted to ask me how I liked the Firestone destination A/T tires. Lol. He was thinking bout buying the same tire for his jeep. Lol

Things like that are not unheard of. My dad had a '63 split-window Corvette and used to get pulled over several times a year so an officer could look at the car. That wasn't the only car he owned that caused such attention, either.

Ranger
07-11-13, 09:55 PM
I think the construction worker's buddies put him up to it. I had been waiting for a long time to make it down the street by my house that was temporarily one lane. They were laughing as he was talking to me.
Maybe that was his way of getting a closer look. Did he ask for your number?

:yeah: I thought they had gone the way of the Carburetor, steering wheel spinners, cat's eye tail lights and baby moon hub caps.

DBA-One
07-11-13, 10:05 PM
I was pulled over a couple years ago. I was turning onto I-395 in Preston, CT. The two state cops were on the grass. They both were outside leaning on their cars talking. I got on the highway and was about 1/2 mile or more away when I saw them in the mirror come screaming down. I just kept on going until the pull right up behind me and turned their lights on. I was in the process of exiting the highway so I just continued to exit. By this time it was 2 miles had passed.

Anyways, the reason for the pull over. Is because I had a string of LEDs just under the hood. I wanted to use them as the DRL, instead of the factory amber lights as the first gen CTS has.

"Sir, those lights are too blue."
"They are considered white, but they are LEDs and they tend to have a blue-ish tint to them. They aren't a perfect 4,500K."
"Well we think they are blue because the light is reflecting off of your blue car."

And my tax money pays for these two idiots...

I wish I had a picture with the lights. But I took them off very quickly. Because I live in a two plate state and I didn't want to get pulled over and forced to put the front plate on. The officer asked me about it and I said that the auto body shop didn't put it back on. Little did the officer know, I told the shop not to put it back on. Lol

http://i836.photobucket.com/albums/zz283/kingoftypos/100_2579.jpg

I don't see how that dark ass blue is going to reflect light and make it blue.

KOT

The "white" headlight bulbs offered in the early 2000s had a blueish tint. I was pulled over because of this. I could see the cops point but to a point as they were not BLUE. The cop wasn't a bad guy and there was no ticket issued so I don't consider it a silly stop. I got rid of the bulbs to avoid the hassle.

Faith76
07-11-13, 10:31 PM
My BF kept insisting I get the curb feelers because they would "save your white walls." So, I gave in, even though I felt a little too pimp. After he installed them he took me out to show me how they worked, and guess what?... He had to polish my white walls when we got home. As for steering wheel spinners, I've been thinking about finding one for the 59 Lincoln. That steering wheel is huge, and my BF likes to steer it with his elbow up on the door and with one finger. He does it to torment me. I think the wheel spinner would be a fair play.

Ranger
07-11-13, 10:36 PM
My dad used to work for a company many, many moons ago that made those collapsible spinners aka suicide knobs. I and all my buddies had a pair on our bike handle bars (I told you it was many, many moons ago). He wouldn't give me the ones with the naked girls in them though. :(

Kingoftypos
07-11-13, 10:43 PM
The "white" headlight bulbs offered in the early 2000s had a blueish tint. I was pulled over because of this. I could see the cops point but to a point as they were not BLUE. The cop wasn't a bad guy and there was no ticket issued so I don't consider it a silly stop. I got rid of the bulbs to avoid the hassle.

I understand them pulling me over. But when they said "we think its because its reflecting off of my blue paint." When the LEDs are pointing straight out. I just thought it was funny from then on.

They had me turn my low beams on and off a few times.

KOT

brandondeleo
07-11-13, 11:10 PM
I've only been pulled over a couple of times. The first time I got pulled over was like a week after I got my license. I was driving through town at night with my headlights off but I didn't realize they were off because it was bumper to bumper traffic down the main drag in town right after sunset. Then once I got pulled over for not having my front plate attached. Never a ticket, though.
I recently got a speeding ticket on the 5 between Medford and Grant's Pass. Doing 76 in a 65. Oregon cops SUCK.

orconn
07-11-13, 11:32 PM
My dad used to work for a company many, many moons ago that made those collapsible spinners aka suicide knobs. I and all my buddies had a pair on our bike handle bars (I told you it was many, many moons ago). He wouldn't give me the ones with the naked girls in them though. :(

Those would have been neat on those old Schwinns. But what a killjoy not giving you the ones with the naked girls .... I remember seeing those and they would have been really a conversation piece on your bike!

vincentm
07-12-13, 01:10 AM
My BF kept insisting I get the curb feelers because they would "save your white walls." So, I gave in, even though I felt a little too pimp. After he installed them he took me out to show me how they worked, and guess what?... He had to polish my white walls when we got home. As for steering wheel spinners, I've been thinking about finding one for the 59 Lincoln. That steering wheel is huge, and my BF likes to steer it with his elbow up on the door and with one finger. He does it to torment me. I think the wheel spinner would be a fair play.

That's how drive my Eldorado, elbow out, steering with my thumb.

The-Dullahan
07-12-13, 01:17 AM
I have not been pulled over in...several years. Not since I was new to this whole "driving" thing.

However, as per strange things to get pulled over for, here is a list:

Looking too young to own my Father's Chevelle. No, I did not own it, but still, I was not doing anything wrong...I mean, REALLY?

Looking suspicious. Turns out that when there are some break-ins in an area and you drop your friend off at her house, then go to the end of the street to wrap around to the next street and head out it can be suspicious. They had had some break-ins and my car looked suspect. I mean, sure, if you're going to rob someplace, use the most conspicuous getaway car possible, right? My response to the officer was: "Kid, if I were going to rob these houses, I wouldn't be doing it in THIS car."

One time for speeding. Dashcam/GPS records indicated however that I was actually going five MPH under the limit and the ticket was dropped in court. Funny story, the officer printed me a ticket for a vehicle with a different plate number and listed me as driving a 2007 Blue Ford Four-Door Sedan. Never mind that it was a Black Cadillac Five-Door Sedan and he was off by twenty years.

"You got any beers?" Yes. Police have pulled me over to ask that. My answer was "Yeah, right here."

Essentially, all of the local officers know me now and I am not getting pulled over for having a suspicious-looking car or looking too young/broke to afford whatever I am driving at the time.

----------

As for steering wheel spinners, I've been thinking about finding one for the 59 Lincoln. That steering wheel is huge, and my BF likes to steer it with his elbow up on the door and with one finger. He does it to torment me. I think the wheel spinner would be a fair play.

I've got a solid metal one of those floating around someplace. If you feel like paying shipping, it's yours. I am very familiar with the magnificent steering wheels of 50's American cars. I actually wish that all cars had large, thin steering wheels.

----------

My dad used to work for a company many, many moons ago that made those collapsible spinners aka suicide knobs. He wouldn't give me the ones with the naked girls in them though. :(

However did he get them to fit inside?

----------

That's how drive my Eldorado, elbow out, steering with my thumb.

The elbow-out-the-window thing goes back to the days when driving an Automatic really meant something. I think it is hilarious today when kids try to brag that their cars are standard instead, seeing as that is usually a universally cheaper option. I drive my share of standard vehicles though, so I feel I can justify driving at least ONE Automatic.

I am the same way though, I usually drive with one hand. My fingers can reach across the steering wheel plenty well enough (Arachnodactyly and slight hints of Marfan Syndrome have their benefits) but I never find myself doing the classic elbow-out-the-window position. That would result in a horrendous sunburn.

Faith76
07-12-13, 01:18 AM
I'd love too! I don't think I can send messages here yet though...So how will we arrange for me to send you the shipping cost?

I have not been pulled over in...several years. Not since I was new to this whole "driving" thing.

Looking too young to own my Father's Chevelle. No, I did not own it, but still, I was not doing anything wrong...I mean, REALLY?

Looking suspicious. Turns out that when there are some break-ins in an area and you drop your friend off at her house, then go to the end of the street to wrap around to the next street and head out it can be suspicious. They had had some break-ins and my car looked suspect. I mean, sure, if you're going to rob someplace, use the most conspicuous getaway car possible, right? My response to the officer was: "Kid, if I were going to rob these houses, I wouldn't be doing it in THIS car."

One time for speeding. Dashcam/GPS records indicated however that I was actually going five MPH under the limit and the ticket was dropped in court. Funny story, the officer printed me a ticket for a vehicle with a different plate number and listed me as driving a 2007 Blue Ford Four-Door Sedan. Never mind that it was a Black Cadillac Five-Door Sedan and he was off by twenty years.

"You got any beers?" Yes. Police have pulled me over to ask that. My answer was "Yeah, right here."

Essentially, all of the local officers know me now and I am not getting pulled over for having a suspicious-looking car or looking too young/broke to afford whatever I am driving at the time.

----------

I've got a solid metal one of those floating around someplace. If you feel like paying shipping, it's yours. I am very familiar with the magnificent steering wheels of 50's American cars. I actually wish that all cars had large, thin steering wheels.

----------

However did he get them to fit inside?

----------

The elbow-out-the-window thing goes back to the days when driving an Automatic really meant something. I think it is hilarious today when kids try to brag that their cars are standard instead, seeing as that is usually a universally cheaper option. I drive my share of standard vehicles though, so I feel I can justify driving at least ONE Automatic.

I am the same way though, I usually drive with one hand. My fingers can reach across the steering wheel plenty well enough (Arachnodactyly and slight hints of Marfan Syndrome have their benefits) but I never find myself doing the classic elbow-out-the-window position. That would result in a horrendous sunburn.

The-Dullahan
07-12-13, 01:59 AM
Then we can give it time. Really, all I need is your shipping address. I will mail it out and whatever it costs, you can reimburse me via Paypal. That's how I handle these things with Forum members. You're a trustworthy lot.

MoistCabbage
07-12-13, 02:11 AM
Faith, you have far more than enough posts to send a PM.

CadillacLuke24
07-12-13, 02:26 AM
I got pulled over once.

On New Year's Eve.

For a License plate light being out. Got a warning.

Stupid cop. Go pick on the drunks!

Now I have a really good close call story.....

The-Dullahan
07-12-13, 03:05 AM
Close Call? With the Police? I've got a good police story. My apologies, because it will be a bit long (as all of my stories are) because it requires some backstory.

Back in the day, when I worked for a very large company that operates worldwide with a large portion of their property being in Florida, I made fast friends with many of the interns, as the College kids were in my age-group. Anyhow, The College Program people were put up in one of three large apartment facilities built specifically for them. Among the various rules of this premesis was that visitors must be signed in and are not permitted to remain after 9:00 PM and that no Alcohol was permitted under any circumstances.

Fast Forward. So I was 18. Maybe 17? Not sure. Anyhow, some friends and I, who learned how Evil this corporation was and utterly stopped caring about it (though it paid INCREDIBLY well) really just started doing things with the impression that sooner or later, one of us could manage to get fired. We never pulled that off and all left on very good terms, but that is not the story.

So, we sort of learned by accident that we could make money if we could supply the kids in the apartments with alcohol. Not surprising really, since these apartments were KNOWN for their crazy parties. One in particular. Well, by pulling together, we realized that we (our group of five) had two immediate connections to procure cheap...REALLY CHEAP alcohol from. Often free. One was a friend of mine who was married to an illegal alien who ran a liquor store. In return for marrying him, he paid her bills and she could get anything she wanted. One of us also drove a '67 Oldsmobile that she restored just prior to her internship and refused to part with, so she drove it all the way to Florida from Massachusetts. EVERYONE knew the car, even if they didn't have any idea who the owner was. It was legend.

So, we developed a plan of action and began procuring and redistributing alcohol to these kids. It got really big, really fast and soon, we were actually getting orders. We would fill these orders and charge extra for that. Within a month, we were making...well, after dividing the booty, we were each making a substantial amount of money in a single evening. And we got BETTER at it. Now everyone knew about it. The car(s) would pull in right about 9:30 (to accomodate the schedule we ended up using, we never followed that first aforementioned rule) and out of nowhere, kids would just come out quietly and in large numbers. Bottles and cash passed back and forth while someone jotted and scribbled on a pad of paper. It really must have been something to see and will have to be in the inevitable film of my life. Security never caught on, because we would be in and out in minutes flat. One time, an individual threatened to record/report us, but when the supposed time came, I feel he felt pressured not to, since by then, everyone had heard of his plan and I was more than happy to point him out in person when we got there.

Anyhow, this went on for a while. One evening in the summer, we had three cars lined up at a red light, waiting to turn into one of these three facilities. The Olds in front, as always, with my friend and I riding in it. Behind us was a Chevrolet pickup with a cover over the truckbed and behind that, a Ford Escort. Anyone walking by the front car would have been easily able to tell what the contents of the entire rear area was. A close look would give the other two cars away too. We had a little of everything. Boxes and boxes. And a beer keg, as I recall.

Anyhow, we were just waiting at this light in the left-side turning lane...when two officers pulled up, one right behind the other, in the lane beside us. I did not immediately notice the rear car, but I definitely saw the front car. The officer rolled his window down and looked very intently at us. Not trying to be weird, when he and I made eye contact, I politely nodded and went back to acting natural. He just sat there, in utter silence. Glaring at us from only a few feet away. Two minors with a car full to the brim with alcohol we could not legally obtain, heading into a property that forbids it, with the intention to sell it to other minors. With a Police Officer idling beside us...glaring at us. After a rather long minute he smiled and said "Sick ride".

We politely thanked him just as the light turned green.

truckinman
07-12-13, 03:37 AM

Looking too young to own my Father's Chevelle. No, I did not own it, but still, I was not doing anything wrong...I mean, REALLY?.

This reminds me, when I was a senior in high school, My buddy and I were out driving around at about midnight in my parents new Lexus. We started being followed by a deputy. Every move I made he was right on my butt. So after 20 min of being tail gated by this guy, we pull into a gas station and he pulls into a closed gas station across the rd and watches me.

After I go in and pay, I come back out a d he's finally gone. I take my buddy home, and I get home at about 230 AM and my folks are wide awake.

My mom asks where I've been, and I told her just out driving around. She then tells me they gotta call at about 1230 from a deputy asking if they were aware their new Lexus was out and about. She tells him of course and that her son had it. And without any explanation the officer just says, "ok thank you" and hung up. So naturally my mom was worried sick by that call. And when I was in high school 10 years ago, I didn't have a cell phone.

But apparently, my friend and I looked to young to be seen in such an expensive car so the office assumed we'd stolen it.

STS_Seville_Hunter
07-12-13, 04:46 AM
I've been pulled over numerous times in my Eldo for looking like a "minority car" based on colour and wheels. Than they see my and want to search for drugs lol.

The-Dullahan
07-12-13, 05:30 AM
Never had that problem, Hunter, but one time an officer repeatedly asked me if I had weapons in the car. I do not actually know what made him feel so sure I did (I certainly did not) but he must have asked me at least six times.

My Half-Brother was once pulled over in New Jersey (Living in Pennsylvania at the time) and my Mother got a phonecall around 2 AM, because the police stopped him and did not believe him that it was his car and that he had any reason to be in New Jersey.

They quickly apologized when she realized they woke her up not because anything had happened and he may have been hurt, but just to ask if she was aware of these things. She told them YES, it was his car and YES, she knew he was in New Jersey.

Aron9000
07-12-13, 06:52 AM
So I will say every ticket in my 13 years of driving I did deserve. 4 or maybe 5 speeding tickets, two reckless driving, couple of "noise pollution" tickets. Secret is to not have them in the same year, so you just take the driver's ed course, no insurance rates going up.

Some of the more "fun" ones:

2:00am, turning onto the road I live off of in my old Camaro, completely sober. Did a crazy powerslide turning right, didn't see the cop sitting the vacant parking lot across the way. He stopped me and said "What the hell were you doing back there?" I replied, "Driving like a dumbass". Asked me where I was going, did I have anything to drink, ran my liscense, insurance, and registration. Comes back to the car a minute later and I quote you not. "Mr. Bays, quit being a dumbass and go home" He gave me my stuff back and followed me back to my apartment down the road about half a mile.

12:00am driving to a friend's house from work through downtown Brentwood in the Brougham. Zero traffic. They were paving the interstate so I took the alternate to avoid getting tar on my car. I knew better than to speed through Brentwood, the cops have nothing better to do than harass you. They clocked me doing 40 in what I thought was a 45mph zone, no other cars on the road. They light me up, told me the speed limit was actually 35mph on a 4 lane road through a typical suburban strip mall district. Ran my license, plate and saw I was stone sober. They were nice enough to let me off with a warning, still they held me up for a good 15 minutes for IMO no real reason.

Best one was once again 1:00am on rt 96 between Murfreesboro and Franklin. I did peel out at a stop sign in front of a gas station, then proceeded to drive 70-80mph on this two lane road for about 5 miles when I see some head lights behind me coming up FAST. I mean this cop must have been doing 80-100mph without his blues on, ie driving way more recklessly to catch me. I was in my Camaro again, and 70-80 was about as fast as I felt safe pushing it on this road, as it has quite a few curves that I slowed down for. I turned off onto a country backroad but he saw me turn and lit me up. Didn't give me a speeding ticket but did cite me for reckless for peeling out at the stoplight 5 miles back. I was just baffled that he actually caught up with me, as I had driven that road A LOT and never felt comfortable pushing it like that cop did to catch me.

truckinman
07-12-13, 07:36 AM
So I will say every ticket in my 13 years of driving I did deserve. 4 or maybe 5 speeding tickets, two reckless driving, couple of "noise pollution" tickets. Secret is to not have them in the same year, so you just take the driver's ed course, no insurance rates going up.

Some of the more "fun" ones:

2:00am, turning onto the road I live off of in my old Camaro, completely sober. Did a crazy powerslide turning right, didn't see the cop sitting the vacant parking lot across the way. He stopped me and said "What the hell were you doing back there?" I replied, "Driving like a dumbass". Asked me where I was going, did I have anything to drink, ran my liscense, insurance, and registration. Comes back to the car a minute later and I quote you not. "Mr. Bays, quit being a dumbass and go home" He gave me my stuff back and followed me back to my apartment down the road about half a mile.

12:00am driving to a friend's house from work through downtown Brentwood in the Brougham. Zero traffic. They were paving the interstate so I took the alternate to avoid getting tar on my car. I knew better than to speed through Brentwood, the cops have nothing better to do than harass you. They clocked me doing 40 in what I thought was a 45mph zone, no other cars on the road. They light me up, told me the speed limit was actually 35mph on a 4 lane road through a typical suburban strip mall district. Ran my license, plate and saw I was stone sober. They were nice enough to let me off with a warning, still they held me up for a good 15 minutes for IMO no real reason.

Best one was once again 1:00am on rt 96 between Murfreesboro and Franklin. I did peel out at a stop sign in front of a gas station, then proceeded to drive 70-80mph on this two lane road for about 5 miles when I see some head lights behind me coming up FAST. I mean this cop must have been doing 80-100mph without his blues on, ie driving way more recklessly to catch me. I was in my Camaro again, and 70-80 was about as fast as I felt safe pushing it on this road, as it has quite a few curves that I slowed down for. I turned off onto a country backroad but he saw me turn and lit me up. Didn't give me a speeding ticket but did cite me for reckless for peeling out at the stoplight 5 miles back. I was just baffled that he actually caught up with me, as I had driven that road A LOT and never felt comfortable pushing it like that cop did to catch me.

A friend of mine who's a cop got himself Into a bit of trouble chasing a wanted man down a back curvy rd he wasn't all to familiar with.

The driver was in a V8 Dodge Dakota, my buddy in the Vic, hit some gravel in the middle of a turn at 110 mph and slid into a tree after slowing to 85. He was in critical condition for a little while but pulled through.

Hoosier Daddy
07-12-13, 11:36 AM
Do friends pull overs (or is it pulls over?) count?

I had a friend who was pulled over for speeding. But he was also drunk, so the Highway Patrolman arrested him. My friend had a holstered Ruger Super Blackhawk. The cop took it but was not familiar with that type of gun and couldn't figure out how to unload it (he kept trying to get the cylinder to swing out). So he handed the loaded .44 magnum back to the drunk he was arresting for him to unload it! Maybe he was out sick the day cop school taught: never give a loaded .44 to a drunk you are arresting.

edit: I wasn't in the car, so did not see this first hand.

truckinman
07-12-13, 06:25 PM
Do friends pull overs (or is it pulls over?) count?

I had a friend who was pulled over for speeding. But he was also drunk, so the Highway Patrolman arrested him. My friend had a holstered Ruger Super Blackhawk. The cop took it but was not familiar with that type of gun and couldn't figure out how to unload it (he kept trying to get the cylinder to swing out). So he handed the loaded .44 magnum back to the drunk he was arresting for him to unload it! Maybe he was out sick the day cop school taught: never give a loaded .44 to a drunk you are arresting.

edit: I wasn't in the car, so did not see this first hand.

Seems legit

hey8you
07-12-13, 10:07 PM
Every time I have been pulled over it was me being dumb.

96 in a 65 +construction zone

86 in a 65

Green lights in my side vents. Cop pulled me over and asked if I was a paramedic(he saw my UCSF badge). I told him no. He then said you cant have them on and left. I turned them back on when I got around the corner.

Saw some jackass riding on my bumper so I sped up. Turned out to be a cop. Good thing I didn't turn on my 55w driving lights on my rear bumper. He just gave me a warning for speeding.

Got pulled over in front of Galls in SF. He told me he pulled me over for no front plate. We were there for almost 20 min because he couldn't figure out my plates. Every time he called them in, nothing would show up. He thought the O(letter) was a 0(zero). He kept apologizing for pulling me over and was saying it was only a $10 fix it ticket. He asked about my plate and I lied. I said it came like that when I bought my car 3 years ago. I removed them a week after I bought my car.

thebigjimsho
07-13-13, 12:35 AM
I got pulled over for singing Celine Dion in an animated fashion. True story.

Hoosier Daddy
07-13-13, 12:40 AM
You win.

MoistCabbage
07-13-13, 12:43 AM

Sometimes... "That's The Way It Is".

:hide:

orconn
07-13-13, 01:43 AM
I didn't get pulled over, I was already parked! A LAPD patrol car pulled up behind and turned its' flashing light on. I was in the process of picking up a couple to make a weekend trip to Yosemite. The "76 Seville was maybe two weeks old at the time. The couple got a kick out of the Seville's chimes (I think it was the first car to have alarm chimes). My wife and I were sitting in the car laughing at the silliness of the chimes, apparently the cops didn't think this was amusing (it was about 4 AM) and came to the door with gun drawn. I rolled down the window and explained that the couple had just gotten into the car and that were getting a kick out of the chime, which was chiming away. The officer didn't seem to see any humor in this situation. I told hi m we were on our way to Yosemite and that was the reason for our good mood so early in the morning. He never cracked a smile and continued his tough cop routine, but did let us go on our way. Don't know what he could have legitimately written us up for, but for a minute there I thought I was getting a ticket.

We made it up to the park by noon and had a very nice stay at the Ahwahnee Inn and were back in our offices on Monday!

CadillacLuke24
07-13-13, 02:42 AM
Thanks for sharing guys :thumbsup: You have some good stories.

OK, so here goes. One friday night, after running some errands and tooling around just cause (what I do for fun in Laramie), I decide to go romp on it on the interstate. I see this one guy coming from the south in a Suburban, and another guy a ways back, and I don't want to get stuck behind them, so I make sure I get to the onramp first. Nothin' too ridiculous, just got there first.

I get on the onramp and FLOOR IT. Second gear dump, all thru third, and halfway thru fourth till I hit the 112 mph limiter. At this point I'm well beyond the onramp, and a ways down the road, which is also downhill. So I can't see the guys behind me. I let the wind do its work and in a minute I'm toolin' along at 75.

Well, about a couple of minutes later, I see these headlights FLYING up behind me, and I'm thinkin' somebody else got the same idea. Well these same headlights are an Expedition, and he slots in behind me. TAILGATING. Which I hate. So, when I get to my exit, I slow way down to piss him off. Them we go under the street light at the exit, and I see the light bar. CRAP. It's a sheriff's deputy. So I drive like a SAINT (5 mp under the limit) for the next 2 miles, until he got to Walmart, where He turned off. I parked for the night shortly thereafter.

The deputy was the other dude behind the Suburban. He musta seen me get on the onramp, and then didn't see me on the interstate. Musta knew something was up, but couldn't prove anything :sneaky: Everytime I see an Expedition for the sheriff down there now, I think "HAHAHAHA SUCKER! Missed me!"

truckinman
07-13-13, 04:17 AM
Last year I test drove a 2009 C6 Corvette with the LS3. I got on the interstate, sales lady in the passenger seat, and I pull up on the right side of a semi. I slow down so his truck just barely gets ahead of the C6 and I drop it in 2nd and take off. I'm doing over 100 by the time I let off. Well on the OTHER side of the semi, which I hadn't seen, was a deputy. He comes flying up to my left side. I ask the passenger, " ever been pulled over during a test drive?" She says no. I say "well we are about to."

The cop pulls right up next to me, looks at me, I give him a friendly wave, he laughs and takes off. All I can think of was he saw the test drive dealer tags and decided to cut me a break. Lol

Kingoftypos
07-13-13, 04:23 AM

Some had to,

and it had to be me...

http://youtu.be/yd1uEvyzCmM

KOT

MoistCabbage
07-13-13, 04:38 AM
I already posted a song pun. 2 is just going... overboard.

Hoosier Daddy
07-13-13, 08:01 AM
I already posted a song pun. 2 is just going... overboard.
MC, if you don't have something nice to say, "just walk away".

But I agree it was a bit too soon. He should have waited until "another year has gone by".

Faith76
07-13-13, 10:36 AM
Last night while I was driving the 59 Continental, a cop did a u turn in a four lane road and came flying up behind me. He rode me behind me close for 5 minutes or so, then took off flying to ride the car in front of me for about 30 seconds, pulled to the side of the road, and disappeared in my rear view. WTF was up with that? Was he just shocked at the lady driver? I was doing 5 under the speed limit.

Hoosier Daddy
07-13-13, 11:16 AM
Does pulling cops over count?

In '90 I once followed a cop for miles in city traffic while he changed lanes without signalling dozens of times. I could scarsely believe it when he pulled into the same parking lot I was. So I decided to give him a good lecturing. He pulled into a parking space and I stopped behind him and got out of my car. Then he threw it in reverse and slammed into the side of my car. Apparently he just pulled in to the spot to turn around and go do the cop car mating ritual with one of his buddies parked nearby. The other cop drove over and they discussed it between themselves and decide their story would be that he hit me because I had sped behind him as he was backing out. Unfortunately for them, someone else observed me being out of the car at the time of the impact. So they decided they were going to cut me a break and let me go..... this time.

Naturally I said no dice and demanded a supervisor be dispatched. When he got there he listened to everyone's story (the witness had gone but I knew where he worked). The supervisor had no problem figuring it out. After the cops were thru telling their bull shit story, he turned to me and asked if I had a rope? I asked why, and he said so we can string these two up! LoL I hope they took what the city paid to have my car fixed out of their pay checks. I never did get the chance to lecture the cop about using his turn signal (or looking before backing up) but there is a follow up story about me getting cops banned from using that parking lot for naps and BS sessions.

Hoosier Daddy
07-13-13, 01:25 PM
I didn't get pulled over, I was already parked! A LAPD patrol car pulled up behind and turned its' flashing light on. I was in the process of picking up a couple to make a weekend trip to Yosemite. The "76 Seville was maybe two weeks old at the time. The couple got a kick out of the Seville's chimes (I think it was the first car to have alarm chimes). My wife and I were sitting in the car laughing at the silliness of the chimes
'70 cars were a kick. My '79 Toronado had evolved past chimes and could tell jokes. I would ask it when is a door not a door? Then I'd pull on the handle and the car would answer "A door is a jar". Or at least that's what it sounded like.

But sadly, it's repertoire was severely limited. If I asked it what do you call a man with no arms or legs who can play 5 instruments, it still answered: "a door is a jar".

orconn
07-13-13, 06:44 PM
Last night while I was driving the 59 Continental, a cop did a u turn in a four lane road and came flying up behind me. He rode me behind me close for 5 minutes or so, then took off flying to ride the car in front of me for about 30 seconds, pulled to the side of the road, and disappeared in my rear view. WTF was up with that? Was he just shocked at the lady driver? I was doing 5 under the speed limit.

I am sure he hasn't seen too many !959 Continentals in his lifetime. Probably couldn't believe it was for real. By the way please post a picture of your Continental Town Car. Is it one of the ones with the formal roof?

Hoosier Daddy
07-13-13, 07:22 PM
My Half-Brother was once pulled over in New Jersey (Living in Pennsylvania at the time) and my Mother got a phonecall around 2 AM, because the police stopped him and did not believe him that it was his car and that he had any reason to be in New Jersey.
First off, nobody has a GOOD reason to be in New Jersey so it was a fair cop. Second, if you have a hermaphrodite sibling, why are we just now hearing about it?

Devil Deville
07-13-13, 09:44 PM
Here is a good one for you.
I was driving down a back road, minding my own business, when I see headlights flying up behind me. As soon as he got up to my car, he blue lights me. I proceed down the road a few hundred feet to the next street and pull over. He walks up to my car, and I already have my license and registration in my hand waiting for him. The cop then goes back to his car, without telling me why I was pulled over. I didn't bother to ask because I already knew the answer. The cops here are Nazi's and they are bored as hell. I drive a Cadillac with a gold bentley grill installed on the front.
So, he stays in his car for around 20 minutes. Then, the other cops start showing up. They all walk up to my car at the same time, from both sides, with one hand on their pistols and the other holding a club. The cop that pulled me over walks up to my window by himself and says "You were driving the Duke's of Hazzard back there."
Confused, I answer back "The Dukes of Hazzard?". He replies, "You went over those railroad tracks at 42 mph." I respond, "The speed limit is 45. Is there a problem?" to which he says, "You have a warrant for your arrest in Houston, TX."
"The closest I have ever been to Texas is Atlanta. Are you serious?"
"I wouldn't lie about something this serious, sir."
"I would like more information regarding this alleged warrant."
"I cannot discuss that with you, sir, but she can."
A lady cop walks up to the window at this point and proceeds to tell me that the warrant is tied to my License #, my date of birth, and my name. So, it has to be me. She tells me its for misdemeanor larceny and that I am lucky it isn't a worse charge, or they would be extraditing me to Texas and if I wanted any more information that I would have to call Houston. They give me my license back and tell me to go home.
I get up the next morning sure that someone has stolen my identity. I froze my credit cards. I ordered a credit report. I spent 6 hours on the phone with around 50 different people in Houston. Every one of them told me the same thing, "If you want information regarding a warrant against you, you must speak with your local police department." Fed up, I drive to the police station and talk to another officer. I had him run my license. He comes back and says there is nothing in the system against me in the whole country. I made him run it again...still nothing. He then asks me, "Do you know the name of the officer that pulled you over, because there is no record of you being pulled over last night." I told him that I did not. He says, "The officer must have a made a mistake." I tell him, "But there were 5 officers and they told me it was my license #, my DOB, and my name." His response, "Well, I don't know what to tell you."
Talk about Nazi's using scare tactics...I was pulled for driving 3 mph under the speed limit, lied to by more than one officer holding bats in their hands while my car was surrounded and then let go. They were hoping I was black, but no luck for them.
BTW, this is not the first time I have been blatantly lied to by the cops in this town.

Hoosier Daddy
07-13-13, 10:22 PM
Here is a good one for you.
I was driving down a back road, minding my own business, when I see headlights flying up behind me. As soon as he got up to my car, he blue lights me. I proceed down the road a few hundred feet to the next street and pull over. He walks up to my car, and I already have my license and registration in my hand waiting for him. The cop then goes back to his car, without telling me why I was pulled over. I didn't bother to ask because I already knew the answer. The cops here are Nazi's and they are bored as hell. I drive a Cadillac with a gold bentley grill installed on the front.
So, he stays in his car for around 20 minutes. Then, the other cops start showing up. They all walk up to my car at the same time, from both sides, with one hand on their pistols and the other holding a club. The cop that pulled me over walks up to my window by himself and says "You were driving the Duke's of Hazzard back there."
Confused, I answer back "The Dukes of Hazzard?". He replies, "You went over those railroad tracks at 42 mph." I respond, "The speed limit is 45. Is there a problem?" to which he says, "You have a warrant for your arrest in Houston, TX."
"The closest I have ever been to Texas is Atlanta. Are you serious?"
"I wouldn't lie about something this serious, sir."
"I would like more information regarding this alleged warrant."
"I cannot discuss that with you, sir, but she can."
A lady cop walks up to the window at this point and proceeds to tell me that the warrant is tied to my License #, my date of birth, and my name. So, it has to be me. She tells me its for misdemeanor larceny and that I am lucky it isn't a worse charge, or they would be extraditing me to Texas and if I wanted any more information that I would have to call Houston. They give me my license back and tell me to go home.
I get up the next morning sure that someone has stolen my identity. I froze my credit cards. I ordered a credit report. I spent 6 hours on the phone with around 50 different people in Houston. Every one of them told me the same thing, "If you want information regarding a warrant against you, you must speak with your local police department." Fed up, I drive to the police station and talk to another officer. I had him run my license. He comes back and says there is nothing in the system against me in the whole country. I made him run it again...still nothing. He then asks me, "Do you know the name of the officer that pulled you over, because there is no record of you being pulled over last night." I told him that I did not. He says, "The officer must have a made a mistake." I tell him, "But there were 5 officers and they told me it was my license #, my DOB, and my name." His response, "Well, I don't know what to tell you."
Talk about Nazi's using scare tactics...I was pulled for driving 3 mph under the speed limit, lied to by more than one officer holding bats in their hands while my car was surrounded and then let go. They were hoping I was black, but no luck for them.
BTW, this is not the first time I have been blatantly lied to by the cops in this town.

That sucks. The good news is cell phone videos have put a stop to most of that kind of thing. Was this years ago?

MoistCabbage
07-13-13, 10:28 PM
second, if you have a hermaphrodite sibling, why are we just now hearing about it?lol!

orconn
07-14-13, 02:08 AM
It was early Spring of 1968. I had driven my new, to me, Lamborghini over to Phoenix from L.A. to see some relatives that lived their. I sitting at a red light waiting for it to change when a late model gold metallic color Buick Electra 225 four door hard top pull up next to me. The guy driving looked very familiar and as I looked a little longer I realized it was Barry Goldwater. Not surprisingly I recognized him because he had run for President in 1964 and his face was everywhere that year. Well, he smiled and kind of gave a look that he wanted to race. When the light changed he took off like a bat out of hell. Fortunately I didn't take the bait and proceeded to accelerated at a normal rate. Good thing too, because there was a state trooper (I don't know what they call them in Arizona) coming up behind us and he fipped on his flashing light and signaled to me to pullover. I wasn't sure why he was stopping me because I hadn't been racing or even accelerating fast. The trooper didn't get out of his car, but was talking on his radio for about fifteen minutes while I just sat in my car waiting for him to do something. Then it dawned on me that my car didn't have ermanent license plates on but only a red temporary registration sticker in the window. I had just gotten back from Vietnam the week before, and while the car was registered I didn't have plates for it yet.

Well the trooper finally got out of his cruiser and came up to my window and asked for my license and registration, which I gave him along with my maroon "Official" passport for further identification. He took all my paperwork and returned to his cruiser and got back on the radio for another fifteen minutes. He then came back to my window and handed me back all my paper work and saluted and said I could go on my way. To this day I don't know what kept me from getting hauled in that day. Whether it was because I had been "almost" racing with the notorious speed freak Senator Goldwater, whether my paperwork satisfied the guy (I doubt it) or he had never seen an "Official" U.S. passport before. But whatever his reason I was glad to go on my way that day. And during the next few days I wasn't bothered by any LEO for not having plates on my car. I suspect the trooper and his cohorts had decided that the mystery person driving the Lamborghini just wasn't worth hasseling on the chance he might be connected!

ThumperPup
07-14-13, 02:29 AM
Last June on my way home from yearly camping. Trip took a detours up north to visit friends and cops stopped me why'll at a gas station saying someone called in reckless driving I said well I'm not driving and u didnt witness anything
They left

Once for texting and driving when the state I was in didn't even have a law against it btw I was using my iPod how can I text when its not even a phone officer

----------

ROFLMAO! :histeric::histeric::histeric::histeric::histeric:

X2 lmao omfg I am now not going to sleep to easy

Koooop
07-14-13, 11:43 AM
Pulled up next to a Z28 at a red light in Irvine CA, drag race immediately followed. An unhappy officer pulls me over directly and tells me to turn my car off, I respond with "no, it's Italian it may not start again." Officer "license and registration, and please shut off the car the smoke is awful". Me "It's not smoking, that's an illusion I'm doing it with mirrors". Officer "you were racing, did you see me behind you"? Me "yes sir, I was trying to lose you in a smoke screen". Officer hands me my license and tells me to "just get out of here".

Stuck float in one of the carbs, the car was a rolling fog bank.

I did keep a straight face with all the smart assed comments, some how the cop did as well.

Aztec ETC ECS
07-14-13, 02:32 PM
My Half-Brother was once pulled over in New Jersey
First off, nobody has a GOOD reason to be in New Jersey so it was a fair cop. Second, if you have a hermaphrodite sibling, why are we just now hearing about it?
NJ does have nice racing (drag & circle) facilities and he didn't say half brother/half sister.

-----------------

And, I DO NOT get pulled over anymore (by the way).

Devil Deville
07-14-13, 04:49 PM
That sucks. The good news is cell phone videos have put a stop to most of that kind of thing. Was this years ago?

Unfortunately, no. It was about 5 days ago.
Also, shortly after I posted yesterday, I was driving down a 25 mph road and saw a cop pull up to a stop sign way in front of me and just sit there. Was probably about 45 seconds to a minute before I passed him. I watched him in my rearview as I cruised down the road....still just sitting there. He had now been there for a good 2 minutes, when I began to approach the stop sign at the end of road. Still watching my rearview, I pressed the brakes. As soon as I did, I see the cop turn and take off toward me at around 60 mph in a 25 mph zone with no lights or sirens. He was on my bumper before I even came to a complete stop from 25 mph. I made my right hand turn on the next street, still 25 mph, and he just drove behind me all the way until I pulled in my driveway. He then slowly drove away.

You see, I just moved here so my address isn't on my license. I didn't give them my current address when they pulled me over the other day. This was their way of finding out where I live, by flying down a 25 mph street that has no curb, without running any lights or sirens, while little kids are playing in their yards and riding around on their bikes. The law has no respect for the law.
If it were me driving that way, I am pretty sure I would have gotten a speeding ticket, wreckless endangerment, and you could throw in stalking for following someone home.

orconn
07-14-13, 04:58 PM
Probably so! You've got a point, Devil Deville!

Let's face non of us is guilt free when it comes to stereo typing what we see and come in contact with. My German Shepherd was certainly guilty of stereo typing people and situations that she encountered and when she had learned that something was out of place didn't seem right given the situation she definitely reacted. We all consciously or subconsciously react to the dress, demeanor and actions of those we encounter, or in the case of a car we react to what the style and condition of the car connotes to us as to who might be driving it and if the circumstances dictate what they might be doing.

Cops do this even more commonly, they are human and creatures of the environment they live in just like the rest of us, as they pursue their duties. The Israelis have been lauded for the success of their "profiling" in the carrying out of state security. To us and anyone else it is a two edged sword, it may serve to protect us from harm, but may also lead to unjustified actions on the part of our fellow citizens and those we rely on for protection.

Hoosier Daddy
07-14-13, 05:40 PM
he didn't say half brother/half sister.
Well I figured each half had to be either a brother or sister and if both halves were brothers he wouldn't be a half brother. ;)

Kingoftypos
07-14-13, 08:05 PM
Unfortunately, no. It was about 5 days ago.
Also, shortly after I posted yesterday, I was driving down a 25 mph road and saw a cop pull up to a stop sign way in front of me and just sit there. Was probably about 45 seconds to a minute before I passed him. I watched him in my rearview as I cruised down the road....still just sitting there. He had now been there for a good 2 minutes, when I began to approach the stop sign at the end of road. Still watching my rearview, I pressed the brakes. As soon as I did, I see the cop turn and take off toward me at around 60 mph in a 25 mph zone with no lights or sirens. He was on my bumper before I even came to a complete stop from 25 mph. I made my right hand turn on the next street, still 25 mph, and he just drove behind me all the way until I pulled in my driveway. He then slowly drove away.

You see, I just moved here so my address isn't on my license. I didn't give them my current address when they pulled me over the other day. This was their way of finding out where I live, by flying down a 25 mph street that has no curb, without running any lights or sirens, while little kids are playing in their yards and riding around on their bikes. The law has no respect for the law.
If it were me driving that way, I am pretty sure I would have gotten a speeding ticket, wreckless endangerment, and you could throw in stalking for following someone home.

Time for you to get a dash cam, front and rear facing.

KOT

77CDV
07-14-13, 08:46 PM
Except for once, the few times I've been pulled over were justified. The one that wasn't was when I was 16. I was driving Elizabeth (my first 77 CDV) home from school. About a mile from home, I get pulled over by the sheriff. License, registration, proof of insurance blah blah blah. I was waiting to see what the charge was going to be, as I knew I'd done nothing illegal. The cop informs me that he stopped me because I "looked too young to be driving that car." I fixed him with my most baleful look, demanded my license and paperwork back, and drove off.

Hoosier Daddy
07-14-13, 11:29 PM
Since this thread as strayed far from "recently" (mainly because of posters like me) and the other posts jarred my memory about other stops, I will now post EVERY stop I can recall in order:

First week I had my license I got stopped for not stopping at a stop sign. I actually did stop behind the sign as per the law and then crept up to see better each way before proceeding. I was pleasantly surprised that the cop decided not to write a ticket after I showed him he could not see behind the sign where I did stop from his vantage point. I did make a habit from then on to stop again any time I had to move forward after a stop sign to make sure the road was clear. He did write me up for not wearing glasses. I did not realize the requirement was on my license. Apparently, if you wear glasses when you take the test they add the restriction. I went back and retested without glasses and the judge dismissed the charge.

About a year later, I was turning left behind someone and something must have spooked them because they slammed on their brakes mid turn and I bumped them. Minor bumper damage only. Guilty of following too close and talking to passenger at the same time. Plead guilty. Lesson learned.

Already posted about bored trooper stop in Oklahoma.

A stretch limo started flashing headlights at me in downtown Phoenix one night in the late 60's or early 70's. So I sped up and turned as soon as possible. The limo followed me for miles as I turned at just about every corner. We finally ended up stopped 2nd and 3rd in line at a red light that just changed. The driver jumped out of the limo and ran to my door and showed a badge and told me to pull over. Apparently Highway patrolmen drive the governor's limo. I don't even remember why he said he wanted to pull me over just that he said he was now late for picking up the governor and didn't have time to write a ticket.

In the mid 70's A souped up Harley rider was stupid enough to want to street race a chambered H2 I happened to be on and I was still stupid enough to accept. The road was empty ahead but had a sweeping left then right after about half a block. But there was a moto cop hiding in a lot behind us. I easily won the race but further down the road the cop pulled me over. He wanted to write a ticket but he had almost crashed taking those turns at speed and his hand was shaking so badly he couldn't write so he gave a verbal warning.

I was stopped in '75 for expired plates. I just hadn't put the new ones on. As I pulled over I was behind a bar with it's front on a side street and I heard shots. I told the cop I heard shots and he said "yeah sure, you did. You think I will fall for that?". So as he wrote the ticket the call came in over his radio about an armed robbery at that bar with shots fired. I said "I told ya". He glared at me and took off with my license. I had to pick up my license at the station and the SOB still wrote the ticket even when I showed him the current plates and him knowing it would be dismissed when I showed them to the judge.

Late one night in '77 or '78 a lady ran a red light and barely clipped my back bumper. This was pre-cell phones and no open businesses or pay phones for over a mile. So after getting her name, address, etc. I walked to a pay phone to get a cop out there. I wasn't about to drive to a phone and have her claim I left the scene of an accident. When I got back, she was gone and the cop had already written a ticket for ME based solely on some story she gave him. I plead not guilty told my story and showed pictures and the judge literally ripped the cop a new one right there in open court for the grossest incompetence by a police officer he had ever seen.

I was stopped in Phoenix for too rapid a lane change. I don't recall the time frame. I liked to really lay a bike over when changing lanes. I guess sparks from the exhaust was too far. I plead guilty but took a traffic safety class in lieu of it going on my record.

I was stopped North of Wickenburg AZ in '81 or thereabouts by a psycho highway patrolman. He explained that I didn't do anything illegal but he didn't like motorcycles on HIS highway so he was going to write me a speeding ticket. I talked a lawyer friend into representing me for free. When he found out the court was over an hour from Phoenix, he got on the phone and talked to the judge who it turned out he knew and played golf with on occasion. I don't know how but he got it dismissed over the phone.

I was stopped in Utah in '85 because another driver reported me going 10 MPH over the limit with their CB. Apparently that was a very common thing in Utah at the time. Obviously he couldn't write a ticket based on that but what he did instead still boggles my mind. Just for chit chat I asked him what road do I take to get to such and such town. I knew the turn off was about 5 miles ahead. But he said I had already passed the turnoff 5 miles back and I needed to go up a mile to the next interchange and come back this way. As I pulled away, I watched him pull into the media and set up to radar clock people coming the way he said I needed to do.

In '87 or '88 I completed a pass with less time to spare than a sheriff's deputy liked. I plead guilty but took a safety class in lieu of it going on my record.

I already posted above about my written warning in the late '80s after doing 165+ in a 50 zone.

In '90 I was riding near Wickenburg with a friend. We were coming down a mountain highway and came upon a bicycle race or bicycle something. We decided to slot in behind then for a while since they were at a good clip on the steep downhill stretch and there weren't any good places to pass for a while. A highway patrol car come by the other direction and turns around and pulls us over. You may have already guessed, it was the very same psycho patrolman as before. He said he paced us going 80 MPH and wrote us each a ticket for that. We caught up to the bikes and at their next stop got contact info from someone who would testify we had been riding behind the bicycles for almost a mile when the cop went by and until we were stopped. I filed a formal complaint and before the trial date we received letters saying the tickets had been rescinded. I hope mine was the complaint that finally got his badge yanked.

I already posted (another thread) about the time I was pulled over in my Syclone in '92 or around then. Long story short: the cops honestly thought I failed to stop because they could not conceive a vehicle going as fast as I was when they saw it just after the stop if I had stopped. I went to court and convinced the judge I was innocent based partially on black box printout (I had a portable one for track use but I often had it running all the time in whatever I was driving). The judge found me innocent. The cop caught up with me in the parking lot, gave me his phone number and said I should call him so we could meet somewhere and talk. I didn't.

In 2002 I was pulled over on a Friday night. I was in an SVT Focus which if you are not familiar, at the time had the fastest slalom speeds of ANY production car except one Porsche model according to Road and Track. I was never happy with under 1 G in a corner and could sometimes hit 1.25Gs. The cop pulled me over after one such turn. When he saw me, he said: "I'm sorry, being this kind of car, I thought you were some high school kid hot rodding it after the big game. Sorry to bother you." My son not driving yet, was in the car and he was not amused at the implication of what he had to look forward to. He's 26 now BTW with only one ticket for accidentally turning onto a carpool only freeway entrance.

orconn
07-14-13, 11:40 PM
^^^ Sounds like you got to know most of the LEOs in the Phoenix area over the years!

Hoosier Daddy
07-15-13, 02:27 AM
^^^ Sounds like you got to know most of the LEOs in the Phoenix area over the years!
I met many more police in other situations.

When I was in the Air Force we had a laboratory on the grounds of Lackland AFB in San Antonio. I was tuning a friends car in a parking lot during lunch in '69 or '70 when a trainee comes up to me with a .22 revolver and tells me to drive him to Detroit. I have no idea where he got the gun. It turns out he couldn't hack basic training and wanted to go home. When he asked nice, they told him no. The irony of the situation was that he was likely a subject of an experiment I was working on related to 10,000 inductees who did NOT meet minimum standards in place at the time. He was in a very bad way and I soon realized I had to be very careful. For example, he asked if we had to cross any state lines going from San Antonio to Detroit. And when I tried to tell him we were almost out of gas and I didn't have money (both lies) he immediately wanted to fill the tank at the next station and shoot the attendant. I convinced him to wait until we were closer to empty. During that time, I convinced him they would be looking for this car by now and he should get as far from it as he can. He agreed and I left him at the side of the road. Later the police conducted a photo lineup for me where I learned that the justice sysem was not always or entirely fair. The photo lineup included the suspect wearing basic trainee garb, and 5 other men in suits. And one of them could have been a youger LBJ. I don't know what happened to the trainee. I was never contacted again or called to testify.

In the '70s, the Phoenix Police Department bought a computer system for dispatching. Before then, a lot of time was lost trying to figure out who was available and where they were and the best route to get there. They were among the first departments anywhere to do this, so they couldn't buy a system off the shelf. They had to have one custom made. But they got snookered. The only OS for the computer they bought was single tasking, so it couldn't handle multiple calls at the same time. I was brought in to try to salvage the situation and was able to design a layer between the applications and the OS that added the differences between a single and multi tasking OS. It was very interesting trying to explain to the brass why a single tasking system wouldn't work for them. I would tell them, for example, when a program needed to read some information off a disk, the whole system stops until the data is read. They asked how long that takes. I said x ms. They would say something along the lines of well that's a very short amount of time, why don't we just have the programs ask for the data that much sooner than they need it?

Anyway, they had these very expensive pick proof locks in the police building and the first day I showed up to work nobody had opened the data center yet and I didn't have a key yet. When the door was finally unlocked, they were astounded to find me sitting in my office. This was in the days where computers were very large and were always on raised floors. If a data center took up most of a building floor the entire floor was often raised. When I found the data center door locked, I just popped up a floor panel outside the door and crawled under it.

Another time and place, I had an eccentric employee who made a comment one day that he was in a bad mood and people would be reading about him either because he won the lottery or was on a rooftop. I was not in the office that day and someone called the police. Well they investigated and interogated him and found he had a list of people in his home who had wronged him for various things. Fortunately nobody any of us knew BUT disturbing to say the least. He was let go and was charged with something but left the state before his court date. Some employees were worried he might come back and take revenge on the staff for turrning him in. So a police captain came in to reassure them but he didn't choose his words very well because he told them: "I'm sure xxxxxxx is the last person you'll ever see." One wag said: But that's exactly what we are afraid of.

In the early '90s I was driving home in my Syclone and a outlaw biker type in a van pulled up beside me on the freeway and swung a bat and smashed the passenger side mirror. I decided to follow him to his destination. He tried to get away a few times but not much chance of that. After a while it was apparent he was just driving around randomly while thinking what he was going to do. Eventually he pulled into a parking lot of a bunch of non-retail businesses, all closed at the time. The drive went back perpendicular to the street for a good distance and then made a left turn. There was only one way in or out. He drove to the very back with me in tow and got out of the van swinging a chain. He was so stupid, he kept following me on foot as I backed up the drive staying just barely out of his reach. We got almost back to the road before he realized he was not in the best of situations. So he turned around and headed back to his van. Before he got there, I was able to block much of the entrance and flag down a Phoenix cop. The van pulls up maybe 20 yards from us and the driver gets out still swinging the chain but this time towards the cop. Maybe he took exception to being arrested by a lady cop; I don't know. But she drew her gun and called for backup. The van driver stood there with the chain until backup arrived. He didn't put up a fight once there were 3 cops there and he was soon cuffed and in the back of one of the cars. Later the lady cop told me I should not have followed him and should not have blocked the entrance. I should have gone home and called the police. But I had worked with cops for a year or more and asked her what would happen if I did that. She said someone would try to call the van owner and ask them if they struck my vehicle with a bat. And if they said no or never answered the phone or said someone else was driving the van at the time? She hemmed and hawed and said, that would be the end of it. So I said, that's why I didn't just go home and call it in. I really have no idea whatever happend to the biker guy. The D.A.s office called me months later and asked if I would be happy with a suspended sentence if he agreed to pay for repairs and I said, no. I was never called to testify, so he must have pled to something.

Then there was that epic parking lot caper in the spirit of Alice's Restaurant Massacree.

Devil Deville
07-15-13, 01:41 PM
Probably so! You've got a point, Devil Deville!

Let's face non of us is guilt free when it comes to stereo typing what we see and come in contact with. My German Shepherd was certainly guilty of stereo typing people and situations that she encountered and when she had learned that something was out of place didn't seem right given the situation she definitely reacted. We all consciously or subconsciously react to the dress, demeanor and actions of those we encounter, or in the case of a car we react to what the style and condition of the car connotes to us as to who might be driving it and if the circumstances dictate what they might be doing.

Cops do this even more commonly, they are human and creatures of the environment they live in just like the rest of us, as they pursue their duties. The Israelis have been lauded for the success of their "profiling" in the carrying out of state security. To us and anyone else it is a two edged sword, it may serve to protect us from harm, but may also lead to unjustified actions on the part of our fellow citizens and those we rely on for protection.

I understand that some amount of profiling is going to happen. The problem comes when an officer profiles someone, me for instance, and then makes up lies just to find out if their "instincts" are right. Here is a story of what I would call potentially justified profiling.

This was in my old town where the police are legit. Same gold-grill Caddy, though. I am driving home from work at around 11:30pm when the car behind me throws on his blue lights. I was doing 47 in a 45, but around there they would never pull anyone for that. So, I was expecting for him to pass me as I was pulling over, but it was me he was after. So, having pulled over, I sit in my car waiting for the officer to come up to the window. When he got to my window, his face went from stern to confused almost instantly. He takes my license and info and goes back to his car. Only a minute or two later, he comes back and informs me that my license plate light is out. Skeptical, I ask if I may step out and have a look for myself. When I got out of the car and looked up, I was quite surprised to see 5 cop cars that had me blocked in from behind. Seems like a little much for a blown bulb. Even when they are searching a car there are normally only 2 or 3 police cars.

My point here is that, in this case, the officer had a legitimate reason to pull me over. Due to the make, model, and appearance of my car, he felt more comfortable approaching me with someone watching his back. It makes sense, I would to. Even so, I say it is only potentially justified profiling because of the excessive number of police vehicles that had arrived on the scene in only a couple of minutes. I am quite confident that, had I been a black or hispanic male, I would have gotten a lot more than a smile and a "Have a nice night, sir." And treating people differently when all circumstances are the same, except for the skin color of the driver, is absurd.

orconn
07-15-13, 02:08 PM
I agree completely with your point. There should be no difference in the treatment of an individual based on race or other visual legal qualifier. However my point is regardless of the way we would like it to be, we all use "profiling" (or what we have learned from personal experience or the media) as we discriminate in our actions ... especially as it pertains to our own security.

Let's face it if an African American man or Latino or white guy will not bring up the same danger reaction when he is dressed in a suite and tie or even in "preppy clothing" as he will if he is dressed in "gang banger" attire!

Hoosier Daddy
07-15-13, 02:14 PM
I'm still amazed about the bunch of cops telling you BS stories about you being wanted in another state. It's like none of them have heard about cops getting "busted" for that kind of crap when recorded by a cell phone. I predict they are in for a rude awakening soon because I'm sure you aren't the only one they do that to.

Jesda
07-15-13, 04:47 PM
Does pulling cops over count?

In '90 I once followed a cop for miles in city traffic while he changed lanes without signalling dozens of times. I could scarsely believe it when he pulled into the same parking lot I was. So I decided to give him a good lecturing. He pulled into a parking space and I stopped behind him and got out of my car. Then he threw it in reverse and slammed into the side of my car. Apparently he just pulled in to the spot to turn around and go do the cop car mating ritual with one of his buddies parked nearby. The other cop drove over and they discussed it between themselves and decide their story would be that he hit me because I had sped behind him as he was backing out. Unfortunately for them, someone else observed me being out of the car at the time of the impact. So they decided they were going to cut me a break and let me go..... this time.

Naturally I said no dice and demanded a supervisor be dispatched. When he got there he listened to everyone's story (the witness had gone but I knew where he worked). The supervisor had no problem figuring it out. After the cops were thru telling their bull shit story, he turned to me and asked if I had a rope? I asked why, and he said so we can string these two up! LoL I hope they took what the city paid to have my car fixed out of their pay checks. I never did get the chance to lecture the cop about using his turn signal (or looking before backing up) but there is a follow up story about me getting cops banned from using that parking lot for naps and BS sessions.

You, sir, are a great American.

Faith76
07-15-13, 04:57 PM
I am sure he hasn't seen too many !959 Continentals in his lifetime. Probably couldn't believe it was for real. By the way please post a picture of your Continental Town Car. Is it one of the ones with the formal roof?

It is a Hess and Eisenhardt built limo That belonged to Henry Ford II's uncle. Elvis also had one, but his was a 1960.
/125769

orconn
07-15-13, 05:22 PM
Thanks Faith, it sure is a Town Car. I remember that these were made in limited numbers back in the late fifties. I don't believe I have ever seen one in person. I don't suppose they sold many of them, so it is not surprising that your car was previously owned by a Ford family member.

The standard Lincolns and Continentals from the 1958 thru 1960 were not very popular. I have written before about my good friend's dad who bought a new 1968 Continental Mark III sedan, and the problems he had fitting down the narrow highways and byways of fifties New Jersey. But the size turn out to be the least of his worries. The car was a real lemon with all kinds of size related problems like dash board parts cracking and breaking because of flexing and cracking. His dad's car was black with a black leather interior (His dad was a funeral director) and was really impressive to look at, but the problems that coming up caused him to sell the car after less than a year's ownership. His dad had previously been a Packard man, but with no more Packards worth a damn to be had after 1956, he became a Cadillac owner till he retired. He had already made the change when it came to hearses with the purchase of a really nice 1957 Cadillac hearse.

Jesda
07-15-13, 05:30 PM
Since 9/11 local police have lumped themselves in with the military as defenders if national security. DHS has given them tanks, swat vans, and heavy munitions. Likewise, police have become more aggressive with the public, further inclined to shoot first and ask questions later. Every pointless roadside search or seizure (and highly profitable asset forfeiture) is now in the name of fighting the war on terror.

/rant

Faith76
07-15-13, 06:02 PM
Thanks Faith, it sure is a Town Car. I remember that these were made in limited numbers back in the late fifties. I don't believe I have ever seen one in person. I don't suppose they sold many of them, so it is not surprising that your car was previously owned by a Ford family member.

The standard Lincolns and Continentals from the 1958 thru 1960 were not very popular. I have written before about my good friend's dad who bought a new 1968 Continental Mark III sedan, and the problems he had fitting down the narrow highways and byways of fifties New Jersey. But the size turn out to be the least of his worries. The car was a real lemon with all kinds of size related problems like dash board parts racking and breaking because of flexing and cracking. His dad's car was black with a black leather interior (His dad was a funeral direct) and was really impressive to look at, but the problems that coming up caused him to sell the car after less than a year's ownership. His dad had previously been a Packard man, but with no more Packards worth a damn to be had after 1956, he became a Cadillac owner till he retired. He had already made the change when it came to hearses with the purchase of a really nice 1957 Cadillac hearse.

I think there were less than 100 made, and only about 19 on the road today. Our dash is starting to sag and there is an unexplained crack forming too. We aren't ever selling her though, David's dad had the garage specially built for it in 1969, so it came with the house in inheritance.

orconn
07-15-13, 06:06 PM
Actually, Jesda, the conversion of the police force from a real civilian law enforcement organization to a domestic paramilitary force began with the Nixon's enforcement of drug laws and then Reagan's "War on Drugs." Police forces, like the L.A.P.D. began arming their officers with ever greater firepower and vehicle equipment (LAPD's "The Ram") and also educating their officers to be more military in attitude. Darryl gates was a young protégé of the LA's Chief of Police who was responsible for the formation of the nation's first "Tactical Units" and later became Chief himself.

Fostered as a response to the "War on Drugs" and the growth of criminal youth gangs other police forces were funded by the Feds to organize and arm their officers as a paramilitary force instead of a traditional civilian police force. Today the paramilitary model rather than the civilian model of the previous period predominates in large city law enforcement.

Unfortunately, these new tactics were never successful in bring the higher level drug and other crime bosses to justice and the paramilitary mind set that this change in policing attitudes played more and more with enforcement of non target crimes and with the apprehension and incarceration of petty drug traffickers and just plain drug users. Not mention those who had committed non drug related petty crimes.

Community policing programs had been instituted to reverse the public's perception of the police as a source of harassment and unjustified coercion and physical violence. These programs have only been marginally successful because of the existing police mind set and the continuing problem of highly armed drug and other criminal activities which have cause the escalation of the armament carried by the police and the mind set that goes along with the paramilitary training and discipline that is current doctrine throughout the U.S.

Hoosier Daddy
07-15-13, 08:13 PM
It is a Hess and Eisenhardt built limo That belonged to Henry Ford II's uncle. Elvis also had one, but his was a 1960.
/125769
Nice looking car. I liked that generation.

As an aside, the picture reminded me how some women raise one calf during an embrace. Like many traits it's probably evolutionary. And I always wondered were there once a like number of women who naturally raised both calves but were unable to pass that gene on because their mates got tired of picking them up and paying for kneecap surgery.

Kingoftypos
07-15-13, 09:15 PM
I wish that I knew the names... But I know a member got pulled over just a month or so before the 2011 meet in Englishtown, NJ. Well I'll tell it as the member told me...

"I was on a side road at a stop sign waiting to turn right on to the main road. Talking on my cell phone, which is illegal in NJ while driving. I saw a cop car on the main road drive by me. Didn't think much of it, so when it was all cleared I pulled out. A little ways down the road the cop car got into the middle lane and started to slow down just below the speed limit. I hung the phone up and just calmly passed him on the right. Then all of sudden he gets behind me, 'Oh crap.' Not long after that he turns his lights on. I pulled over and the officer walks up. 'I'm sorry officer, I know that it's not legal to be on the cell phone while driving.' "Oh no, that's not why I pulled you over. I just waned to check your car out. It's a very nice Cadillac, just like mine. So the real reason why I pulled you over, is to tell you that there is a Cadillac meet next month and it would be great for you to join us. Oh and stay off the cell phone while driving."

LOL, like I said I really wish I knew the member's names. Both the cop and the one who got pulled over. Nevertheless, they both showed up at the meet.

KOT

The-Dullahan
07-15-13, 11:17 PM
"looked too young to be driving that car." I fixed him with my most baleful look, demanded my license and paperwork back, and drove off.

Been there myself...with three different cars.

----------

Now my extended Family...we've got great stories.

It was a few days before Halloween and some friends (Husband and Wife) were driving from GA to Orlando, for our annual shenanigans. A bit before the state line, they got pulled over. He was doing 65 in a 50.

But that isn't why...Anyone ever see these things?

http://cassymuronaka.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/halloween-hand-in-car-trunk1.jpg?w=500

Okay, so they had one sticking from the back of their car. It was just a few days before Halloween, so of course. Why not have fun?

Well, several "concerned citizens" took it way too seriously. Never mind that their Hearse was clearly a retired vehicle as it's 35 years old and has a custom violet flame paintjob, shaved door handles and whatnot...People...

Anyhow, the officer told him how fast he was going, but did not really care. What he DID care about was that up the road a bit, he had two more officers, whom he REALLY wanted to see the car, so my friend agreed and got escorted up the road a bit. Sure enough, there were two more cars. The three officers went around the car checking it out, inside and out. A fourth car pulled up. Unmarked.

This officer got out and ALSO thought his Hearse was pretty cool. He told him he did not have a cool car to show them in return, but let my friend see the contents of his car and handed him a tactical shotgun. He was permitted to get photos holding it (so long as none of the officers or their cars were in the shot).

He had to laugh when he arrived in Orlando and told me about it. "Good thing I WASN'T a bad guy...I could have wasted them, then and there."

Faith76
07-15-13, 11:23 PM
Nice looking car. I liked that generation.

As an aside, the picture reminded me how some women raise one calf during an embrace. Like many traits it's probably evolutionary. And I always wondered were there once a like number of women who naturally raised both calves but were unable to pass that gene on because their mates got tired of picking them up and paying for kneecap surgery.

I was embracing the car. I give it kisses and talk to it too. In the winter I visit it and sit in it.

GizmoQ
07-16-13, 01:31 AM
Oh man, where do I start...

1978-81 Academy days:
I didn't want to be like most Air Force Academy seniors and buy a vette, so I bought a Jag XJS super cheap because it had a blown rear main seal. My sponsor let me use his garage for the repair. Took me almost 3 months to get that crap fixed (another story for another day). But the day I did get it fixed, I couldn't wait to take it for a drive. Unfortunately, I hadn't thought that thru carefully and was pulled over in my sponsor's very expensive neighborhood in Colorado Springs.

Picture this: 17 yr old black kid, 6" of dirty nappy hair, T-shirt covered in dirt and grease and grime, filthy hands and face, trashed out tennis shoes, driving a spotless 2yr old white Jaguar coupe in an all white neighborhood just after sunset.

I COULDN'T STOP LAUGHING!!! I knew as soon as the cop pulled me over exactly what I looked like and where I was. Not only did I look like I stole the car, but it looked like I had to work at it! I wasn't speeding or breaking any other laws (I did that on the highway and was heading back to the house to park the car). But I just couldn't stop laughing. After 20 minutes, a call to my sponsor and a call to my squadron commander, he let me go and my sponsor reminds me of the incident everytime I see him.

And the story continues: Two weeks later, I get pulled over for no reason (I think the cop just wants to check the car out, but as soon as he sees who's driving he starts making crap up). After 15 minutes, he tells me to slow it down and "He's doing me a favor letting me off with a verbal warning." I WASN'T SPEEDING! Two months later, I'm in full mess dress (that's tux and tails for you civilians) leaving for a formal dinner dance at the Academy and I'm late. Pulled over again, but not for speeding (I saw him first). Same harassment, now I'm pissed. Next day I go down to the police station and ask for the Chief. I explained, "Yes I'm young. Yes, I look like I'm 15. Yes, the next time I'm pulled over and not charged or ticketed, I'll be back with my lawyer to personally sue the Chief, the offending officer, and the City." I handed him a portfolio of the car from every imaginable angle, my cadet picture and a DMV report showing there were only three of these cars in the state and mine was the only white one. I told him to post it in the briefing room and let everybody on the force know. What did they say about Obama, "Clean and articulate" - that was me and I was pissing vinegar.

I never got pulled over again - anywhere in the state!

That car got me into so much trouble. It actually earned me my most expensive speeding ticket in my life. I was doing 120-140 across Kansas out in the middle of nowhere when I crested a hill and there at the bottom of the hill was a state trooper. I immediately stomped on the brakes and nothing happened. I soon realized I was still airborne. When the car touched down, it smoked all four tires and I just stayed on it as long as it stayed straight in my lane. By the time I rode past the trooper I was doing under 65 and just proceeded on my way. Thirty miles later I see the red and blue lights in my rear view. Long story short, he gave me a ticket for 64 in a 55 cause that's what was on his radar when the smoke cleared, but he said he guessed I had to be doing 150 at the top of the hill.

How was that the most expensive ticket you ask? I had flat spotted all four tires. Total bill: ticket 150, tires 1200, the look on that troopers face when all he could cite me for was 9 over - Priceless.

I also got a speeding ticket in my home town while the car was parked outside the local hospital and I wasn't in it. The local cop was a buddy of my dad and wrote a note in the remarks section, "I know you're going to..."

MoistCabbage
07-16-13, 01:38 AM
Great stories!

orconn
07-16-13, 01:51 AM
Great stories, Gizmo, can't wait for the next installment!

CadillacLuke24
07-16-13, 02:03 AM
LOL Dang Giz you were FLYING through KS.

I had an unfortunate encounter with cops. 5/31/12. Got home at 10:00 p.m., noticed my tires were all flat. Called the cops. They didn't want to dust the car for prints because it would have ruined the paint. Yeah. RIIIIIIIIIGHT.

On 12/31/12 I was driving home from work, at the speed limit, not erratically, when the same dweeb who responded to my tire call pulled me over for a fried tag bulb on the back. I wanted to ask, "Why, because you can't ticket me as easy?" But I kept my mouth shut. Why didn't he go pick on the drunks?

Oh, and if anyone is curious, the cops in Gillette WY are mediocre at best. Just sayin'.

orconn
07-16-13, 02:12 AM
They may be mediocre, but I bet they haven't been transformed into paramilitary storm troopers yet!

vincentm
07-16-13, 09:48 AM
I was embracing the car. I give it kisses and talk to it too. In the winter I visit it and sit in it.

Marry me

Faith76
07-16-13, 12:14 PM
Marry me

Hmmm... What's the weather like there?

vincentm
07-16-13, 12:20 PM
Hmmm... What's the weather like there?

105 in the summer, -3f in the winter lol

Faith76
07-16-13, 12:40 PM
Well we get about 90 in the summer and -15 in the winter. Nobody really has A/C here, so maybe I'll take you up on your offer. That is as long as the A/C in your Caddy works too.

vincentm
07-16-13, 12:47 PM
Well we get about 90 in the summer and -15 in the winter. Nobody really has A/C here, so maybe I'll take you up on your offer. That is as long as the A/C in your Caddy works too.

AC is brand new, from thecompressor, to the blower motor, to the evaporator, to the hi/lo switches lol

cadillac kevin
07-16-13, 03:21 PM
This happened a few years ago. I was 19 and was driving from my house (in St. Louis) to my church (in st. Louis) for youth group band practice prior to mass that evening. I pulled out of my alley onto the main street, behind another car (traffic was kinda thick, so I hauled ass out of the alley) and was driving along for about 100 feet behind the car in front of me when all of a sudden he locks on the brakes. I hit the brakes and come within a few feet of his car. I then see 5 maplewood cops pulled over in the entry to a storage yard (not visible from the street) arresting some guy. The car in front of me proceeds to do about 20 in a 30 so as soo as the road opens up for the next intersection (where I need to turn) I go into the turn lane (doing about 5 over) and continue on my way. A block later, I see a cruiser come up behind me in another turn lane and hit his lights and sirens. So I turn off into a parking lot and expect him to go by. He follows me into the lot, so I stop. He comes up to the window, and asks me where I'm going in such a hurry. I tell him I am going to St. James church because I am in the band there. I give him my license and registration, and he comes back and says "do you know why I pulled you over?" I say no. He says "well, you almost rear ended a car while speeding (which is impossible...I later tried pulling out of my alley and doing a WOT and I couldn't even get to 30 by where the cop had been sitting), and if you had, it could have spun out and hit that kid on the sidewalk (there was no one on the sidewalk). I say "I didn't almost hit that car. I had to make a panic stop because he randomly stopped and I stopped several feet short of his car." He repeats his BS about me almost hitting the car and it could have hit some kid then says "I then pursued you and clocked you doing 60 down mccausland". I said....thats impossible. I would like to see when you last had your radar calibrated. I would really like to see proof that you caught me doing 60 on that street." He says "Also, your taillight is broken out, and your windshield is cracked. Did you know I can write you up for that?" I said "my windshield crack is one continuous crack below my line of sight, so it is perfectly legal. It passed inspection last month just fine. And I know for a fact that my taillight is not broken." He says "well, since you haven't had a ticket yet and I'm feeling generous today, I'm going to just give you a ticket for careless and imprudent driving and not write you up for excessive speeding or the windshield or your taillight." He then hands me the ticket and my license back. I look at the ticket later and realize he moved where I passed him back 5 blocks from st louis city into maplewood!!! I call my lawyer immediately, and he says "sound like a corrupt cop just trying to make himself look good by writing expensive tickets. Writing tickets outside of their boundries and lying about it is far more common than you'd think, especially in smaller municipalities, and it's very hard to dispute the charges because the judge is always against you because they want the money. Careless and imprudent driving is a very serious charge- 11 pts on your license and a $600 fine. Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do. He either turned off the dash cam or deleted the footage afterwards as it would have proved that he was lying, and he won't show up in court because then he'd have to turn over the footage and proof that you were speeding. All I can do is write a letter and have it knocked down." So I ended up paying my lawyer 80 bucks and paying maplewood 150 for a parking ticket. Better than 600 bucks and 11 points on my license, I guess, but considering I shouldn't have been pulled over in the first place, it was bullshit.

CadillacLuke24
07-16-13, 05:09 PM
They may be mediocre, but I bet they haven't been transformed into paramilitary storm troopers yet!

True. Still, I am rather unimpressed and most displeased with what seems to be the notion that they are here to harass rather than help.

Hoosier Daddy
07-16-13, 08:08 PM
AC is brand new, from thecompressor, to the blower motor, to the evaporator, to the hi/lo switches lol
Slow down big guy. You don't want her 'till after her current BF fixes the Wallmart damage. ;)

orconn
07-16-13, 08:45 PM
Slow down big guy. You don't want her 'till after her current BF fixes the Wallmart damage. ;)

^^^ Behold here we have a rare phenomenon, a man who thinks ahead ..... and behind!

Hoosier Daddy
07-16-13, 09:51 PM
^^^ Behold here we have a rare phenomenon, a man who thinks ahead ..... and behind!
Leave my behind out of this.

Faith76
07-16-13, 10:29 PM
Neither of you have seen my behind, or there would be no thinking! LOL (the rear of the car was damaged)

Hoosier Daddy
07-16-13, 10:44 PM
neither of you have seen my behind, or there would be no thinking!
tpiwwp .

dou1t2
07-17-13, 07:26 PM
About 3 yrs ago I was traveling south from E. MT to E. WY., I had checked my old atlas I carry for a shortcut. I found a fairly straight 2 lane road that had very little traffic and wasn't really paying attention to my speed, the 96 SLS I was driving just feels good and handles well, so you never really notice your speed. Well, all of a sudden the bubble machine is on me and flashing, so I find a wide spot in the road and pull over. The officer walks up and asks me if I know why I was getting pulled over, I kinda look at him and asked if I was going to fast, he kind of chuckled and said, yeah, you were doing 84 in a 70. I pulled my old atlas out and showed where it said on page 2 that MT didn't have a speed limit. He looked at the atlas a little closer and said that law changed right after I got my atlas, pointing out the 1994 publishing date. In the end he gives me a ticket, which unbeleivable to me is only $40. So I take off and after a mile or so I feel safe doing 73-74. NOT, here he comes again! lights me up and I'm thinking this is a bunch of crap. He walks up to the car and says, " you might need these" as he hands me back my registration, insurance and DL! Apparently as he was writing the ticket he was on his radio to another cop explaining my lame excuse and forgot to give them to me. And I was so happy to only get a $40 ticket, I just wanted to go!

orconn
07-17-13, 08:07 PM
Great story! Are there any states now with no speed limit?

CadillacLuke24
07-17-13, 08:41 PM
Montana used to be the Montanabahn, but I believe that ended in 1999.

Utah has speed limits of 80.

There are speed limits in Wyoming, but the land is so open, so sparsely populated..... :sneaky:

cadillac kevin
07-17-13, 09:03 PM
Montana used to be the Montanabahn, but I believe that ended in 1999.

Utah has speed limits of 80.

There are speed limits in Wyoming, but the land is so open, so sparsely populated..... :sneaky:

Luke, you need to raise the speed limiter in your deville :)

CadillacLuke24
07-18-13, 12:51 AM
Luke, you need to raise the speed limiter in your deville :)

:lol: In time, young grasshopper. In time.

Hoosier Daddy
07-18-13, 12:51 PM
Great story! Are there any states now with no speed limit?
Technically, no.

But speed limits don't apply to me in any state except Arizona, where I live. I simply appointed myself an ambassador from my household to all other states and printed up diplomatic IDs. They can stop me but can't fine or arrest me. Or at least that's my theory. I haven't had an opportunity to test it in court yet.

CadillacLuke24
07-18-13, 02:07 PM
Technically, no.

But speed limits don't apply to me in any state except Arizona, where I live. I simply appointed myself an ambassador from my household to all other states and printed up diplomatic IDs. They can stop me but can't fine or arrest me. Or at least that's my theory. I haven't had an opportunity to test it in court yet.

If you do you gotta tell us how it turns out :histeric:

orconn
07-18-13, 02:58 PM
Technically, no.

I hope those "diplomatic" I.D.'s included an authentic Diplomatic Passport or you will be spending some time in the local hoosegow.

Come to think of it, do Indian Nations issue diplomatic passports? I doubt it.

Faith76
07-18-13, 03:43 PM
I hope those "diplomatic" I.D.'s included an authentic Diplomatic Passport or you will be spending some time in the local hoosegow.

They have Nation ID cards. It doesn't really do them much good though

Hoosier Daddy
07-18-13, 07:22 PM

They don't include passports but I've thought of that.

First, with the exception of NY and DC, the cop has probably never stopped a diplomat or was trained for it and would never think to ask for a passport. Second, if one does I simply tell the D. A. I will try this in the court of public opinion and see what they think of your notion that Americans need passports to travel between states. Third, if all else fails there's always: "look, your shoe lace is untied".

truckinman
07-18-13, 07:40 PM
I just had an AWESOME one today happen. No, I wasn't pulled over, but I was merging onto the interstate in my Peterbilt semi, and two cars moved over into the left lane to allow me to merge. One was a Chevy Aveo, and behind him, an Ohio state trooper. Well the Aveo came back over into my lane SO close to me AND with out a signal, that I couldn't even see his trunk lid over my hood.

I laid on my air horn and they just turned around and flipped me off!! Well the trooper pulls up beside my drivers door, takes his hand and motions for me to back off a bit. When I did, he cut in front if me and lit that Aveos ass up! I couldn't stop laughing for the next 20 miles! I can't TELL you the number of times that's happened to me and all I can do is think to myself "if only a cop saw that". Well this time he did! Lol. Made my week right there.

orconn
07-18-13, 08:28 PM
They don't include passports but I've thought of that.

First, with the exception of NY and DC, the cop has probably never stopped a diplomat or was trained for it and would never think to ask for a passport. Second, if one does I simply tell the D. A. I will try this in the court of public opinion and see what they think of your notion that Americans need passports to travel between states. Third, if all else fails there's always: "look, your shoe lace is untied".

You apparently are not aware that Thunderbird University was used to train US diplomats and as well as corporate personnel in languages and protocols before sending them overseas. So some of the older LEO's maybe familiar with diplomatic status.

Another small detail that you forgot about was that diplomats cars have special license plates which also confer diplomatic status. These plates are issued by states as well as by the State Department. While embassy personnel are located in Washington, D.C., there are Consulate Generals and Consulates located in cities all around the United States. Consular officials are also accredited diplomats and are covered by diplomatic immunity. A LEO's sergeants call to the mayor's protocol office would put him on the right track and you on your way to hoosegow!

Hoosier Daddy
07-18-13, 08:51 PM
You apparently are not aware that Thunderbird University was used to train US diplomats and as well as corporate personnel in languages and protocols before sending them overseas. So some of the older LEO's maybe familiar with diplomatic status.

Another small detail that you forgot about was that diplomats cars have special license plates which also confer diplomatic status. These plates are issued by states as well as by the State Department. While embassy personnel are located in Washington, D.C., there are Consulate Generals and Consulates located in cities all around the United States. Consular officials are also accredited diplomats and are covered by diplomatic immunity. A LEO's sergeants call to the mayor's protocol office would put him on the right track and you on your way to hoosegow!
You obviously forgot all about the shoelaces.

orconn
07-18-13, 09:02 PM
Yeah, I did, or I missed the day they taught about the "shoelaces" in Protocol 101.

CadillacLuke24
07-19-13, 12:36 AM
I just had an AWESOME one today happen. No, I wasn't pulled over, but I was merging onto the interstate in my Peterbilt semi, and two cars moved over into the left lane to allow me to merge. One was a Chevy Aveo, and behind him, an Ohio state trooper. Well the Aveo came back over into my lane SO close to me AND with out a signal, that I couldn't even see his trunk lid over my hood.

I laid on my air horn and they just turned around and flipped me off!! Well the trooper pulls up beside my drivers door, takes his hand and motions for me to back off a bit. When I did, he cut in front if me and lit that Aveos ass up! I couldn't stop laughing for the next 20 miles! I can't TELL you the number of times that's happened to me and all I can do is think to myself "if only a cop saw that". Well this time he did! Lol. Made my week right there.

SWEET! I love it when a dweeb gets rightfully nailed for their stupidity!

-----

:cursin: Got pulled over today for "45" in a 35. I highly doubt I was going that fast, but given I hadn't got my most current proof of insurance in my owner's manual, I guess I will have to shut up and pay the ticket. That was also bogus, at $100. Screw you Gillette PD.

dou1t2
07-19-13, 03:16 AM
HoosierDaddy, I gotta ask. about 4 years ago I was working in Phoenix for a month or two, and they had this speed trap on a freeway there. The speed limit was 65 the 55, back to 65 then back to 55. This happened 3 times over the course of 3-4 miles. They had cameras flashing all the time. I was thinking, how can they take a picture of my car and see me driving in all the traffic. This was a big deal then and was all over the news. I came home and in my mail was a ticket with a picture of me in my car. To me that didn't prove anything and I wasn't going back to fight it, infact I haven't been back since. I haven't been extradited yet either! What ever came of that BS!

Hoosier Daddy
07-19-13, 03:35 AM
HoosierDaddy, I gotta ask. about 4 years ago I was working in Phoenix for a month or two, and they had this speed trap on a freeway there. The speed limit was 65 the 55, back to 65 then back to 55. This happened 3 times over the course of 3-4 miles. They had cameras flashing all the time. I was thinking, how can they take a picture of my car and see me driving in all the traffic. This was a big deal then and was all over the news. I came home and in my mail was a ticket with a picture of me in my car. To me that didn't prove anything and I wasn't going back to fight it, infact I haven't been back since. I haven't been extradited yet either! What ever came of that BS!
I don't know the details, but the freeway speed cameras are all gone. I haven't seen any surface street ones either for a while but the mobile ones in vans and SUVs are still in use (on surface streets) as well as red light cameras. I happen to like the idea of red light cameras although not the amount the operators get paid or how their contracts make it hard or impossible to change yellow light duration for safety reasons. i.e. the contracts restrict lengthening yellow lights because it reduces their revenues!

----------

They have Nation ID cards. It doesn't really do them much good though
That reminds me of attempted pull overs. I'm ashamed of this but when in high school a few of us would drive onto a nearby reservation and tease the cops. They drove clapped out pickups and the roads were dirt, flat, arrow straight and in square grids. So it was easy to see any converging units by the dust clouds. We'd speed by a parked unit and let them try to catch us. They never left the reservation and apparently never asked anyone to aprehended us as we exited. I don't recall but we may have removed our plates. I often wondered if one of the group went on to invent Pac Man based on the experience.

ben.gators
07-19-13, 03:55 AM
I don't know the details, but the freeway speed cameras are all gone. I haven't seen any surface street ones either for a while but the mobile ones in vans and SUVs are still in use (on surface streets) as well as red light cameras. I happen to like the idea of red light cameras although not the amount the operators get paid or how their contracts make it hard or impossible to change yellow light duration for safety reasons. i.e. the contracts restrict lengthening yellow lights because it reduces heir revenues!

----------

Oh, thanks God! I hated those freeway speed cameras! They were more like a safety hazard.... People used to slam on brakes when they saw them, and that can be dangerous!
There was a red light camera in Tempe, Rural and University Avenue, and the yellow light's duration was tuned to trap the drivers.... Couple of my friends got tickets right there!

Hoosier Daddy
07-19-13, 04:13 AM
Oh, thanks God! I hated those freeway speed cameras! They were more like a safety hazard.... People used to slam on brakes when they saw them, and that can be dangerous
Yes, I was almost hit by someone skidding out of their lane when their brakes locked up.

It was also nerve wracking every time someone sailed by me and the camera flashed with me right beside them. I didn't trust that some minimum wage employee didn't toss a coin when two cars were in the picture or flag them both. I never got a letter though.

Kingoftypos
07-19-13, 01:24 PM
Yes, I was almost hit by someone skidding out of their lane when their brakes locked up.

It was also nerve wracking every time someone sailed by me and the camera flashed with me right beside them. I didn't trust that some minimum wage employee didn't toss a coin when two cars were in the picture or flag them both. I never got a letter though.

I live in a state where law enforce cameras aren't legal, so no red light cameras or speeding cameras... yet. So I don't know how they work, do they take only one picture or two? I assume two for cases such as this. So if there is more than one car in the picture(s), they should be able to tell which one set off the sensor. I have seen more than one picture for red light cameras though, just haven't for a speeding camera.

KOT

Hoosier Daddy
07-19-13, 01:59 PM
I live in a state where law enforce cameras aren't legal, so no red light cameras or speeding cameras... yet. So I don't know how they work, do they take only one picture or two? I assume two for cases such as this. So if there is more than one car in the picture(s), they should be able to tell which one set off the sensor. I have seen more than one picture for red light cameras though, just haven't for a speeding camera.

KOT
Front plates aren't required in AZ (or issued except for vanity and other specialty plates) so they have to have two pics to get the driver face and the plates.

Hopefully for the speeding ones, there is enough of a time lapse (wouldn't take much) to show which of two cars was going faster.

Faith76
07-20-13, 12:07 PM
Front plates aren't required in AZ (or issued except for vanity and other specialty plates) so they have to have two pics to get the driver face and the plates.

Hopefully for the speeding ones, there is enough of a time lapse (wouldn't take much) to show which of two cars was going faster.
Drive everywhere in disguises

Hoosier Daddy
07-20-13, 12:56 PM
Drive everywhere in disguises
I tried a Ronald Reagan mask but they freaked out when I entered my bank to make a deposit.

Faith76
07-20-13, 07:04 PM
LOL.. Like that damn VW Trololo commercial!
I get the movie reference though. Or were you referring to the robbing of America by Reaganomics?

Hoosier Daddy
07-20-13, 07:24 PM
LOL.. Like that damn VW Trololo commercial!
I get the movie reference though. Or were you referring to the robbing of America by Reaganomics?
Yeah, Point Break. I forgot about the Trololo commercial. LoL

ben.gators
07-20-13, 07:33 PM
I tried a Ronald Reagan mask but they freaked out when I entered my bank to make a deposit.

Reminds me of Clarkson when he used Bill Oddie mask in Japan to avoid speed cameras! :D

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3051/2670520921_47df22f715.jpg