: New VIDEO: 2005 Mustang Test Drive...

Ralph
02-24-05, 04:23 AM
http://www.drivingtelevision.com/segmentviewer.php?segment=2&episode=201&searchStatus=&keyword=&keywordcall=&segtitle=

0-60 in 5.2 secs!

"Drives like a BMW with stiff steering."

I'd still trade for one. :yup: But I would definately order the Bullitt style Torque-Thrust rims! That's essential!

DopeStar 156
02-24-05, 12:38 PM
Oh yeah, I test drove my dad's last Sunday. He got the GT with the 5 speed manual and the 17 inch rims, not the bullitt type. Horsepower out the ASS!!!! To me, 300 HP sounds like an understatement, this thing really goes. I actually burned out twice just moving from first gear. It also sounds beautiful, like a symphony of cylinders. Loud on acceleration and quiet when crusing. The body design is also perfect, every line, every curve. I'm gonna have to take back some things I've said about Ford.....

90Brougham350
02-24-05, 01:54 PM
That's a pretty good video. I'm gonna have to take back some things I've said about Ford too, but then again, I said them about a 98 Mustang, so maybe I won't.....lol, anyways, here's a great article about making things just a little better.

http://hotrod.com/projectbuild/113_0501_first/

Brian

Katshot
02-24-05, 03:06 PM
http://www.drivingtelevision.com/segmentviewer.php?segment=2&episode=201&searchStatus=&keyword=&keywordcall=&segtitle=

0-60 in 5.2 secs!

"Drives like a BMW with stiff steering."

I'd still trade for one. :yup: But I would definately order the Bullitt style Torque-Thrust rims! That's essential!

I couldn't agree more with you on the wheels Ralph. The standard wheels SUCK!!!
I drove one of these with a stick and wasn't impressed with the interior. Nice car overall and I think I'm going to give it another look. But if I get one, it'll be a convertible! :thumbsup:

DopeStar 156
02-24-05, 03:14 PM
I couldn't agree more with you on the wheels Ralph. The standard wheels SUCK!!!
I drove one of these with a stick and wasn't impressed with the interior. Nice car overall and I think I'm going to give it another look. But if I get one, it'll be a convertible! :thumbsup:
The 5 spoke bullitt wheels are the standard wheels. According to my dad's brochure the wheels in the video are optional and cost extra. As for the convertible, I think it looks nice, but you lose the fastback with the convertible top. My dad and I both agreed that the hardtop looked better.

Ralph
02-24-05, 03:30 PM
Oh yeah, I test drove my dad's last Sunday. He got the GT with the 5 speed manual and the 17 inch rims, not the bullitt type. Horsepower out the ASS!!!! To me, 300 HP sounds like an understatement, this thing really goes. I actually burned out twice just moving from first gear. It also sounds beautiful, like a symphony of cylinders. Loud on acceleration and quiet when crusing. The body design is also perfect, every line, every curve. I'm gonna have to take back some things I've said about Ford.....

I want to test drive one soon! Sounds like a fun car! How's the ride? Stiff? Wasn't there an issue with the changing color of the gauges or something and Ford had to cancel it? There was mention of something like this on the forum.

Your Dad can always trade in his optional chromed rims for the Steve McQueen specials. :sneaky:

Damn, 90Broughm350, there's more women than cars on that link! I'm not complaining! :p

I don't care for convertibles. I always think of rollovers and winter. It's just not practical for cold weather and I would imagine it would be pretty cold if I had to drive a ragtop in winter. We have hot summers though, up to around 100 F or so.

Always wanted a '67 and a guy here locally has a restored Shelby that year in red and white! Striking colors! This new Mustang IS the closest thing to it.

Ralph
02-24-05, 04:17 PM
Check this out if you missed it, Dodge Charger Video, namely the General Lee and some Charger facts...

Don't care for the host too much though..

http://www.drivingtelevision.com/segmentviewer.php?segment=3&episode=201&searchStatus=&keyword=&keywordcall=&segtitle=

Katshot
02-25-05, 11:29 AM
So the Bullit wheels are the "standard" wheels? Cool! I HATE the other ones.
The ride of the GT I drove was actually very good. I liked everything about the car except the interior. I didn't get to sample the optional interior which I "think" will make all the difference to me. As for the color changing dash display, I was told that there was a MAJOR back-order on them from the vendor so Ford could not supply that option yet. I was also told that Ford would be making the silver trim available seperately so customers could at least get that even though they couldn't get the color changing display.

Ralph
02-25-05, 02:30 PM
So the Bullit wheels are the "standard" wheels? Cool! I HATE the other ones.
The ride of the GT I drove was actually very good. I liked everything about the car except the interior. I didn't get to sample the optional interior which I "think" will make all the difference to me. As for the color changing dash display, I was told that there was a MAJOR back-order on them from the vendor so Ford could not supply that option yet. I was also told that Ford would be making the silver trim available seperately so customers could at least get that even though they couldn't get the color changing display.

What about the interior don't you like? Just curious? Trim levels?

majax
02-25-05, 08:24 PM
Solid rear axle:rolleyes2

I am glad it looks better than the old one. What a major improvement:coolgleam

I would not buy one though, it's not my kind of car.

90Brougham350
02-25-05, 10:15 PM
I know they're selling to a different crowd than the original pony, but that deal about not being able to burn out cause the computer will clock the throttle down real good when the tires start to slip, I think that's just plain pathetic. Just like the 4WD on my mother's 2003 explorer. As soon as the wheels slip 1/4th turn, 4 wheel drive is automatically on. I think that's BS. Let me drive my own vehicle!

Brian

DopeStar 156
02-25-05, 10:20 PM
The problem was with the MyColor display. The situation was some guy who claims to have invented it is suing Ford for illegally acquiring a patent. Ford claims that they bought the patent from another company and is holding the MyColor displays from the Mustangs until they go to court on the 28th. They'll prolly win too, TV's use the same technology as the MyColor displays since it's just red, blue, and green color guns. It's like a man suing the automotive industry for inventing a car with 4 wheels.

Ralph
02-25-05, 11:15 PM
I know they're selling to a different crowd than the original pony, but that deal about not being able to burn out cause the computer will clock the throttle down real good when the tires start to slip, I think that's just plain pathetic. Just like the 4WD on my mother's 2003 explorer. As soon as the wheels slip 1/4th turn, 4 wheel drive is automatically on. I think that's BS. Let me drive my own vehicle!

Brian

I thought that could be turned off??

Ralph
02-25-05, 11:15 PM
The problem was with the MyColor display. The situation was some guy who claims to have invented it is suing Ford for illegally acquiring a patent. Ford claims that they bought the patent from another company and is holding the MyColor displays from the Mustangs until they go to court on the 28th. They'll prolly win too, TV's use the same technology as the MyColor displays since it's just red, blue, and green color guns. It's like a man suing the automotive industry for inventing a car with 4 wheels.
Now I remember hearing about that.

DopeStar 156
02-26-05, 12:31 AM
I thought that could be turned off??
It can be. There's a button on the dash that kills the traction control and the throttle kickdown. I don't think Ford would make a Mustang that's incapable of burnouts..... :lildevil:

majax
02-26-05, 01:17 AM
It can be. There's a button on the dash that kills the traction control and the throttle kickdown. I don't think Ford would make a Mustang that's incapable of burnouts..... :lildevil:burnouts are the whole point of the solid rear axle

Ralph
02-26-05, 01:27 AM
It can be. There's a button on the dash that kills the traction control and the throttle kickdown. I don't think Ford would make a Mustang that's incapable of burnouts..... :lildevil:

That's a relief!

Ralph
02-26-05, 02:43 AM
Solid rear axle:rolleyes2

I am glad it looks better than the old one. What a major improvement:coolgleam

I would not buy one though, it's not my kind of car.

You're 15!! How could you NOT want the best Mustang ever made?? :hmm: :sneaky: When I was 16 I was stuck with a 1970 Plymouth Fury 1!!! try to pick up girls in that heap! :helpless:

Kev
02-26-05, 03:03 AM
You're 15!! How could you NOT want the best Mustang ever made?? :hmm: :sneaky: When I was 16 I was stuck with a 1970 Plymouth Fury 1!!! try to pick up girls in that heap! :helpless:
Oh YEAH?! My first car was a '67 VW Bug, after I drove that poor thing in the ground I graduated to a '66 Ford Falcon, a stinkin four door! It had a lousey straight six in it! Talk about a looser ride. :rant2:
Now the new Mustangs? I like the styling. It has a lot of retro features. reminds me a lot of the '69's and '70's, especially the '70 Mach I.

DopeStar 156
02-26-05, 10:35 AM
Majax is 15?! And owns like three cars?! How are you driving at 15 let alone owning three cars?

c5 rv
02-26-05, 11:06 AM
The guy who bought my vette was originally waiting to buy a new Mustang GT. He has a '65 Mustang, his first car, that he's restoring. When he got a good look at the new Mustang, he decided he wanted a vette instead. He said the new Mustangs are going to be a dime-a-dozen on the road. A vette will always be more exclusive.

Kev
02-26-05, 02:11 PM
The guy who bought my vette was originally waiting to buy a new Mustang GT. He has a '65 Mustang, his first car, that he's restoring. When he got a good look at the new Mustang, he decided he wanted a vette instead. He said the new Mustangs are going to be a dime-a-dozen on the road. A vette will always be more exclusive.
Mustangs have always been dime-a-dozen. They and Camaros have been the quintessential sports cuope of the blue collar dudes since their inception. Vettes have always been a few steps above.

Ralph
02-26-05, 04:12 PM
You guys are missing the beauty of an affordable pony car. You can mod them to be equal or greater power than any stock Corvette. I don't seriously think Ford ever built the GT with the thought people were going to keep them completely stock. They look great and they are affordable and parts are relatively cheap, so let the good times roll..... :rolling:

Kev
02-26-05, 04:15 PM
You guys are missing the beauty of an affordable pony car. You can mod them to be equal or greater power than any stock Corvette. I don't seriously think Ford ever built the GT with the thought people were going to keep them completely stock. They look great and they are affordable and parts are relatively cheap, so let the good times roll..... :rolling:
:yeah: :woohoo: :werd:

Ralph
02-26-05, 04:36 PM
It would be nice to get a new one NOW like Dope's Dad before too many people get them but I wonder if there are any recalls on it yet? I wonder if there were any major areas of change/development on the new Mustang that would be an area for concern? What exactly did they do to the engine to get the extra 40 hp out of it this year?

Adam
02-26-05, 05:12 PM
yeah i have been looking at the new Mustangs. i got a couple of insurance quotes back yesterday but i forgot to include the Mustang. i got them back on an Escalade, CTS, GTO, & the acura TL. all of which are pretty damn expensive. i forgot to include the Mustang (which will probably be just as expensive) but who knows. i will definetely be looking for one as soon as i get a insurance quote on it.

davesdeville
02-26-05, 06:11 PM
What exactly did they do to the engine to get the extra 40 hp out of it this year?

It may displace 4.6 liters but it's essentially a differant engine. It has 3 valves per cyl for one thing..

DopeStar 156
02-27-05, 12:54 AM
It would be nice to get a new one NOW like Dope's Dad before too many people get them but I wonder if there are any recalls on it yet? I wonder if there were any major areas of change/development on the new Mustang that would be an area for concern? What exactly did they do to the engine to get the extra 40 hp out of it this year?
It's a brand new car from the bumper to bumper. It's been built on the Lincoln LS platform with an all new 4.6 Liter 24 valve V8. Even the V6 has a higher HP rating than last year's GT. The only recall I can think of was there was a valve problem with that particular V8 and the cars were all just replaced. Luckly my dad's wasn't built yet so that doesn't affect his car. The GT's are rare now because of that MyColor display thing and the valve problem with the V8's so the dealers were only recieving V6's. At this point in time you can walk into a dealer and take your pick of an average of like 4 V6's and drive off the lot with it, but if you're looking for a GT be prepared to order one. The convertables seem to be less popular because of the loss of the Fastback with the ragtop. I think what's turning people on to it so much is that it's built like a real muscle car and it shows especially with the exhaust system how it's been tuned for sound. The gagues are pretty cool since they're really inset deep into the dash and they're chrome framed. If you ask me this is the only real Mustang that's been built in a long time. Not since they started making those 4-cyl. ones in the late 70's.

Ralph
02-27-05, 12:58 AM
It's a brand new car from the bumper to bumper. It's been built on the Lincoln LS platform with an all new 4.6 Liter 24 valve V8. Even the V6 has a higher HP rating than last year's GT. The only recall I can think of was there was a valve problem with that particular V8 and the cars were all just replaced. Luckly my dad's wasn't built yet so that doesn't affect his car. The GT's are rare now because of that MyColor display thing and the valve problem with the V8's so the dealers were only recieving V6's. At this point in time you can walk into a dealer and take your pick of an average of like 4 V6's and drive off the lot with it, but if you're looking for a GT be prepared to order one. The convertables seem to be less popular because of the loss of the Fastback with the ragtop.

When I was home at christmas I saw a new black GT, complete with the Steve McQueen mags. (on the street) So it had to be a GT? Normally I don't care for black but it looked great as a fastback! I also saw a V6 at the dealership in that darker blue. The knock-off type rims looked good from the V6 model but it semed so easy to move the knock-offs as they were spring retained and probably east to steal. I wasn't sure if it was a completely new car or not. Are you concerned about defects?

DopeStar 156
02-27-05, 01:13 AM
If it has the foglights in the grille it's a GT. I'm not concerned about any defects really because my dad's car was built after the defect was discovered and fixed. Whatever part was defective wasn't used in the creation of my dad's ride. By the way, here's a shot from the driver's seat. You'll see what I mean by muscle car feel.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/photopost/data/500/6136mustanggagues2-med.JPG http://www.cadillacforums.com/photopost/data/500/6136mustanggagues1-med.JPG
The gagues are white during the day and green at night. Because they're set back to far, they're always lit with or without the headlights on. With the lights off they're lit up white, but at night they're green. When the car's off they disappear.

Kev
02-27-05, 01:19 AM
It's very retro and modern at the same time. As the couple in the video mentioned it will certainly appeal to my gneration who have memories of the original Mustangs as well as the younger generations who like the look and attitude. And it does have attitude! :cool:

Kev

Ralph
02-27-05, 01:23 AM
If it has the foglights in the grille it's a GT. I'm not concerned about any defects really because my dad's car was built after the defect was discovered and fixed. Whatever part was defective wasn't used in the creation of my dad's ride. By the way, here's a shot from the driver's seat. You'll see what I mean by muscle car feel.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/photopost/data/500/6136mustanggagues2-med.JPG http://www.cadillacforums.com/photopost/data/500/6136mustanggagues1-med.JPG
The gagues are white during the day and green at night. Because they're set back to far, they're always lit with or without the headlights on. With the lights off they're lit up white, but at night they're green. When the car's off they disappear.

Thanks for the pics! When I looked at the blue one at the dealership, the steering wheel seemed so small and the rim part of it so fat, that I thought how can you see the gauges without some obstruction?? But I guess no one's mentioned it yet so it's a non-issue.

Ya, I think the black one had the foglights, but aren't they really the "bright" headlights?

Katshot
02-27-05, 07:11 AM
I hope you're right about the rag-tops being less popular. I just test drove a V6 Mustang convertible yesterday. I even made the guy put the top down for the last couple miles of the drive! I'll be honest, the car was very nice. Really surprised me. I drove a GT coupe about a month ago and wasn't all that impressed. I think I was overwhelmed by the car's total black color scheme. Just too much black! I looked at a couple pictures of Mustangs with the upgraded interior, mainly the aluminum trim option and I like them much better. I also like the tan interior better than the black. It breaks up the interior nicely. I also found out that the UGLY wheels that the GT i drove had were the "up-graded" wheels. The Bullit wheels are actually the "standard" wheels on the GT. Go figure. :bonkers:
The wheels on the V6 car I drove were real nice, they even had knock-offs! Overall, I'm looking forward to getting a GT convertible, I'll just hate the wait.

SHERIFF
02-27-05, 09:17 AM
By the time the 2006 models come out, it looks like I am going to be in the position to buy 2 of the GTs. Am gonna buy myself a light blue one, and my daughter wants a yellow one.

DaveSmed
02-28-05, 12:02 AM
That and these mustangs are more true to its roots than the fox ones. Look under the dash of a new one... Theres a whole bunch of nothing. MY car has more crap up there. Dope, your dads have the alarm? If so, try holding the key in the unlock position, the windows are supposed to both roll down automatically. (up in the lock position) Thought that was kind of neat. The interior without the aluminum is a vast sea of plastic. VERY boring. The car needs the upgraded trim package. Its nice though that any GT comes standard with the posi, with a choice of two ratios.

DopeStar 156
02-28-05, 09:52 AM
Hmmm... I've gotta try that.... Next time I'm home I'll give it a shot. He does have the alarm system. I gotta say that he got me back to school last night in record time haha. My dad also bought a radar detector, the top of the line model I might add.

Ralph
02-28-05, 06:18 PM
Checked out a new white GT complete with torque-thrusts at the showroom today. (black cloth interior, manual tranny) I like it! :) I just wish the door was a little lower because there is no way you can rest your arm on it during the summer months. It didn't have the chrome trim but there was another GT in the showroom with red leather seats and chrome trim, and I agree, it liked it better with trim. I would certainly settle for the white one though.

I would actually order the hood scoop from an '04 model and apply it because there is just something missing on the straight hood.

DopeStar 156
02-28-05, 08:12 PM
My dad said that too. I'd like to add vents on the sides of the hood rather than a scoop. The hood's so high inside that if you had a scoop you prolly wouldn't be able to see.

Ralph
02-28-05, 09:53 PM
My dad said that too. I'd like to add vents on the sides of the hood rather than a scoop. The hood's so high inside that if you had a scoop you prolly wouldn't be able to see.

You know, you sort of feel tiny in that car, or like a kid in a high-chair, LOL! It's ok though. Some might thing that if added a hood scoop or side scoops that it might look tacky but I think it would look closer to the 1967 shelby GT350 than anything! The hood seems too flat and even my '91 Caddy has a "power-buldge" type-deal.

I think it was Katshot who might have originally mentioned the high doors so I cannot take credit for it, but I sure noticed it. No matter, because the arm rest is perfectly placed height-wise and unlike my Grand Marquis I had, not too low.

I like the headlight covers too. Sure enough, there was still that blue V6 model outside and someone stole the knockoffs!

Damn, I cannot get that white GT out of my head!! I'll have pleasant dreams tonite!

Ralph
02-28-05, 10:01 PM
Another thing I noticed was the steering wheel seems so close to the dash and there really is no columm like other cars. While getting in the car I thought it would be an uncomfortable reach for the steering wheel because I'm 5'11" and it was a nightmare testing a new Corolla a couple of years ago with the same short coulumn. To my suprise, the new Mustang fit me perfectly! I couldn't ask for a better dream car other than an XLR of course. ;)

Kev
02-28-05, 10:06 PM
Hold out for the Saleen version. :thumbsup:

Ralph
02-28-05, 10:23 PM
Hold out for the Saleen version. :thumbsup:

Ya know, if they would just put a shaker hood on the GT like on the Mach 1, it would be a totally awsome car!!! :rant2:

Kolbik
03-13-05, 03:50 AM
Great Mustang 2005!!!!!!!:bouncy:

Ralph
03-13-05, 03:51 AM
Great Mustang 2005!!!!!!!:bouncy:

:welcome:

What color would you get?

Randy_W
03-13-05, 09:59 AM
Just stay away from the '05 GTO's with those GT's, unless of course getting whipped is fun for you!:)

Ralph
03-15-05, 02:08 AM
Just stay away from the '05 GTO's with those GT's, unless of course getting whipped is fun for you!:)

I still like the styling of the Mustang better. Is the GTO even American made?

davesdeville
03-15-05, 04:03 AM
The GTO is built BY GM in Austraila. And GTO>Mustang. It's faster, and that's what counts in these cars. Plus it's nicer interior wise and only a couple thousand more than a GT. The 07 Cobras performance will be a bit better than the GTO's though, although they'll certainly cost more.

DopeStar 156
03-15-05, 11:35 AM
My dad's away on buisiness, his GT is in the garage, and the keys are on the kitchen counter.........:lildevil:

Katshot
03-15-05, 11:51 AM

I'm not sure that's true. I've driven both and the specs on them seem to show that they are very close performance-wise at least. I think I like the GTO interior better but the rest of the car and it's driving dynamics are a near toss-up IMO. I doubt anyone driving the two back to back would say there's a huge difference in SOTP feel.