: Sometimes reverse grind or no reverse

EDDIE80
07-11-13, 03:33 PM
Whats going on everybody? Im a proud owner of a 09 ctsv mt with 29,000 miles. The problem i have is this. Sometimes when i put the car in reverse it doesnt go into gear. Steps to put in reverse. Just clarification to make all aware of what im doing is correct. Lol
1. Come to a complete stop
2. Clutch in
3. Shift to reverse while clutch is in
now sometimes it grinds into gear. With the clutch fully engaged. Sometimes it doesnt go into gear at all. With the clutch fully engaged. It seems to be only when im on a slight incline wether downhill or uphill that this happens. On flat surface no incline the above issue stated doesnt happen. All other gears(1-6) no problems. I will be taking the car to the dealer for oil change and also all fluids will be changed. Thanks for input, opinions etc. Anyone had this happen to them before? Like to get some feedback before i take it to the dealer so i can have an idea of what it might be. Have them check it out. Transmission going bad? Thanks in advace for all feedback

Trapspeed
07-11-13, 04:21 PM
If the car is moving at all trying to hit R this is bound to happen. If it's acting right in level pavement I don't think you've got a problem. Try this: go to 1-2-R. See if that clears it up.

EDDIE80
07-11-13, 04:33 PM
Will do after work

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-11-13, 05:04 PM
Whats going on everybody? Im a proud owner of a 09 ctsv mt with 29,000 miles. The problem i have is this. Sometimes when i put the car in reverse it doesnt go into gear. Steps to put in reverse. Just clarification to make all aware of what im doing is correct. Lol
2. Clutch in
now sometimes it grinds into gear. With the clutch fully engaged. Sometimes it doesnt go into gear at all. With the clutch fully engaged. It seems to be only when im on a slight incline wether downhill or uphill that this happens. On flat surface no incline the above issue stated doesnt happen. All other gears(1-6) no problems. I will be taking the car to the dealer for oil change and also all fluids will be changed. Thanks for input, opinions etc. Anyone had this happen to them before? Like to get some feedback before i take it to the dealer so i can have an idea of what it might be. Have them check it out. Transmission going bad? Thanks in advace for all feedback

Hello EDDIE80,

I am glad you are a proud owner of your Cadillac :) Sorry for any trouble you are currently experiencing with the reverse function. I see you are seeking advice from the community and that Trapspeed was able to offer some insight on a possible resolution. Let me know the outcome of your situation and if you do end up taking it into the dealership. I can be contacted via private message if you need further assistance or would like to discuss any other concerns or questions.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

cdog533
07-11-13, 06:08 PM
2. Clutch in
now sometimes it grinds into gear. With the clutch fully engaged. Sometimes it doesnt go into gear at all. With the clutch fully engaged. It seems to be only when im on a slight incline wether downhill or uphill that this happens. On flat surface no incline the above issue stated doesnt happen. All other gears(1-6) no problems.

Reverse gears are probably straight-cut.... Many manual transmissions use the same gear for first and reverse, but engage an additional idler gear for reverse. SO - to avoid grinding, try shifting into first gear momentarily - THEN into reverse. PS Your car is acting normally....no need to consult dealer on this issue.

Club Malibu
07-11-13, 09:28 PM
09 V???

There is a TSB for all 2009's and half of 2010's out there to replace the entire shifter mechanism with a new part / new part number because the bolts in the mechanism can get loose and difficulty in getting into gears and the fix is to replace it with a new mechanism.

They have to drop the exhaust and the tranny to get to it.