: oil filter relocator kit????

boater33
07-11-13, 01:28 PM
took it in for an oil change/leak . my non caddy mechanic told me the oil relocator gasket is the source of the leak.
$250 + for the kit to replace the gasket only??? he said its a few bolts, o rings, gasket... blah blah blah... another 275 for the labor....

I cant believe the kit is that much, but then again...

can this be accurate?

should i take it to my dealer for this type of service?

thx

so far this forum has helped me with so many things to do myself... the expert advise has been great... but none better than changing the front marker bulbs and the faulty gate handle!

SFVetteman
07-11-13, 02:08 PM
If you have the V6, then around $250 would be the price for the oil filter adapter(relocator), bolt and gasket. The gasket alone is about $3. If you have the V8, then the oil filter adapter, bolt and gasket is around $160 and the gasket alone is about $9.

Bill

boater33
07-11-13, 02:33 PM
thx Bill
I do have the v6... my next thought would be, shouldnt you just need a gasket if the gasket is the issue...not having to buy the adapter(relocator) would be a savings.

cheers

SFVetteman
07-11-13, 03:00 PM
Most likely, it is just the gasket that is needed. Also it appears to be a relatively easy DIY repair: unbolt adapter from block, clean mating surfaces of adapter and block, bolt up adapter using new gasket. That said, I haven't done it and don't know what the access issues are.

Bill

boater33
07-11-13, 03:29 PM
well Bill.. I think I have to find a new mechanic.. where I take my vehicles the owner for years moved and sold to the nice enough guy who has worked for him..He was a who called and told ya what needed to be done, what can wait and what not to waste money on...you know, the guy you "trust"....So I give the good talker a few chances to keep my business... (i also have diesel superduty they maintain).. i challenged him with the last bit of work on my superduty a few weeks ago, and suddenly the price comes down and doesnt need the $2500 u joint work...(just repacked something) so and so.....but I give him one more chance with the caddy... so I call back and ask for the part number of the "kit' so I can see if I can get it less expensively... suddenly he calls me back and says he used a favor with a friend at chevy dealer and was able to buy just a gasket that would cost me $12. Even my caddy dealer would sell me the gasket for $7, and over the phone said was most likely likely just the gasket.. so long story short, I told the guy to replace the gasket, and that will be my last visit... ITs so hard to find a good mechanic you trust. I just want to drop it off, and pick it up...and not be cheated. just pay my fair share

repnatl
07-11-13, 04:21 PM
If your talking about the oil filter adapter housing gasket I believe cone or glake mentioned to me that the power steering pump and Ac compressor must be moved I haven't done mine yet so I don't know. Also that entire adapter is $170 new gm part on gmpartseat.com if we are talking about the same thing

boater33
07-12-13, 03:25 PM
three hours to replace the oil filter relocator gasket... and they charged me $12 for the gasket....

total bill with diagnosing $402 I took a beating, and will never return