: lowering a boat..

adam_mcd
02-24-05, 01:50 AM
ok im stuck: i want to lower my 79 coupe deville a few inches, just an inch will do. my mechanic says i should cut the springs to lower it a few inches. now i thought that would make for a crappy ride. he says it wouldnt, because he did the same thing to his 79 deville. i trust him, but my brother who doesnt really know anything about cars, but knows alot about a few things, says that would lose the cadillac-smooth ride. my other friend says that it would hit the bumpstops alot more, and if i do cut the springs, get new aftermarket shocks; which makes alot more sense. im lost. i say lowering springs made for the car, but cuttin the springs sounds like an easier, maybe better way. any thoughts??

ocjmakaveli
02-24-05, 05:21 AM
ok im stuck: i want to lower my 79 coupe deville a few inches, just an inch will do. my mechanic says i should cut the springs to lower it a few inches. now i thought that would make for a crappy ride. he says it wouldnt, because he did the same thing to his 79 deville. i trust him, but my brother who doesnt really know anything about cars, but knows alot about a few things, says that would lose the cadillac-smooth ride. my other friend says that it would hit the bumpstops alot more, and if i do cut the springs, get new aftermarket shocks; which makes alot more sense. im lost. i say lowering springs made for the car, but cuttin the springs sounds like an easier, maybe better way. any thoughts??

I would recommend some coil spring lowering kit.

They have them on autozone or at http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ProductDisplay/s-10101/p-2123/c-10101

you can temporarily or permnanently lower or raise your car with them instead of making a permnanent choice by cutting them or buying another set.

You would get similar results as if you cut them. I've used them to raise the rear end of my suburban and they work great. I used them on my caddys rear too to minimize the swaying because the airshocks made the car really soft on turns.

Big_Blue
02-24-05, 07:57 AM
I wouldnt recommend using COIL SPRING 2-WAY ADJUSTER AND STABILIZER unless while driving and one of your shocks went out. The coil boosters can make your springs pop or throw off the handling of your car in a serious way.. Also cutting the springs can makes the tips of the springs not sit right in the slots it was made for which also messes up your alignment of your wheels which can cause damage to your differential, If your trying to lower your vehicle your best bet without any problems is to get springs with a lower height clearance. Dont forget to change the shocks as well since the new springs will not let the shocks return properly when hitting bumps which can make your shocks wear out twice as fast.

Also I seen this plenty of times. People put the boosters on and then get a slinky noise when driving or when they get in and out of the car. At first it doesnt sound bad but can you imagine driving down a road hearing the noise over and over?

(Pls Dont mind my spelling cause I cant spell to save me life)

adam_mcd
02-24-05, 03:30 PM
ok...i really want to get lowering springs and get new shocks to go with them. but what type of shocks should i get? i see a tokico set that say theyre made for lowered cars...but theyre only 50 bucks for a front set...any others i should look at?

FASSTWOOD
02-25-05, 12:20 AM
Okay here's what I did to my 79 coupe. I cut a coil off of the front and used moog cargo coils for an 87 monte carlo in the rear. I would do it again but instead of using KYB shocks I would go with monroe severe service shocks part# 550012, and GM's ZQ8 bumpstops part# 15956547. If you want to do the rear shocks also the # 550013.

Your gonna love it dropped.

Monsterpuff
02-27-05, 02:24 AM
Just chop em and put in some new shocks.theres no point in gettin lowering springs cause most likely your gonna have to cut those too.The car will ride a bit tighter and stiffer.An alignment wouldnt hurt after u cut the springs.

DPGC23
02-28-05, 07:53 PM
Orr
U Can Do Wat I Did....n Put 14's Pinnacle Rims

Its Lowered Alirght

Dpgc23