: What steering wheels interchange with 94 Fleetwood?

Poda
07-11-13, 11:21 AM
The leather is finally starting to peel on my steering wheel. I've put a cover on it for now, but I can't stand tthe added thickness and I'm looking at picking up another.

I remember reading that PimpInNOLA put an Eldo wheel in his.. This leads me to believe that Eldo's and Sevilles will interchange. I know Caprice/Buick/Impala would too but if I'm gonna swap out a wheel I'm going to try for something a little more exotic or different, especially since factory steering wheel control buttons would be useful for one of the projects on the Fleet.

I guess the question is, really, how much of GM's product line is interchangeable? Any other manufacturers fit too?

CadillacPimpinNOLA
07-11-13, 11:30 AM
the only issue i never got to post with the eldorado wheel but its minor is the holes to mount the airbag are much smaller meaning you have to either use the eldorado airbag and bolts, which i never had or use a nylon bolt to hold the airbag in, if not the bolt touches to the wheel and honks the horn, it was a minor fix but one that has to be done if you want to use the horn

Poda
07-11-13, 11:34 AM
Good to know.. Thanks!

jayoldschool
07-11-13, 01:29 PM
You can use any wheel from GM before they went to the data bus info (early/mid 2000s). Some will work with air back clock spring swaps, some bags won't work. You can get steering wheel audio controls to work with research. If you want to go no bag, any older wheel will work. I use a Lumina wheel in my SS, and so does mom in her 91 Caprice in Florida:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e202/jayoldschool/100_2127.jpg (http://s40.photobucket.com/user/jayoldschool/media/100_2127.jpg.html)

Poda
07-11-13, 03:06 PM
That's awesome.. exactly the info I needed.

What changed with the data bus switchover? The entire column/spline, etc?

cadillac kevin
07-11-13, 04:15 PM
Btw, if you want a leather lumina wheel like jays, I saw one last week at the junkyard

Poda
07-11-13, 04:38 PM
Thanks Kevin, that would be awesome! Luminas are pretty much extinct around here, even in junkyards. If you're able to grab it, it's in good to great shape (don't want to have to put a cover on it too), and either blue or black, PM me with how much you want for it :)

cadillac kevin
07-11-13, 10:44 PM
Thanks Kevin, that would be awesome! Luminas are pretty much extinct around here, even in junkyards. If you're able to grab it, it's in good to great shape (don't want to have to put a cover on it too), and either blue or black, PM me with how much you want for it :)

I will try to go over the weekend. IIRC, it was in really good shape. Hoping it will still be there. As for price...I can't promise, but I'll try to keep it under 55 shipped.

Jay, do you remember how the horn pad comes off of those? I know GM attached their air bag wheels goofy, but I'm not sure if the lumina horns are held on with screws like the old horns or the goofy spring clips like the air bag wheels

jayoldschool
07-11-13, 11:05 PM
You just pull it straight towards you. Not leather, though. Not even vinyl. Just a foam wheel that is shaped like stitched leather. You have to cut your air bag wire off to use this wheel.

Poda
07-12-13, 11:52 AM
Thanks Kevin!

Aron9000
07-13-13, 04:06 AM
I'd be on the lookout for a later model Eldorado wheel that was leather and wood, used the same style/shape airbag center, so it would look factory.

cadillac kevin
07-13-13, 09:21 AM
I can probably get one of those too. I'll be going to the junkyard next week (today isn't gonna work out).

CadillacPimpinNOLA
07-13-13, 10:02 AM
I'd be on the lookout for a later model Eldorado wheel that was leather and wood, used the same style/shape airbag center, so it would look factory.

thats exactly what i done in my fleetwood, takes very lite modification to fit and looks exactly like the original wheel but with wood that was never a fleetwood option.

the hardest part is finding a eldorado wood wheel, in good shape for a decent price, hell finding them is hard enough

cadillac kevin
07-13-13, 11:32 AM
thats exactly what i done in my fleetwood, takes very lite modification to fit and looks exactly like the original wheel but with wood that was never a fleetwood option.

the hardest part is finding a eldorado wood wheel, in good shape for a decent price, hell finding them is hard enough

Really, I've passed on alot of them?

CadillacPimpinNOLA
07-13-13, 11:41 AM
the 96-02 looks exactly as like a fleetwood wheel but has wood top and bottom...i waited years and got mine for $200...you can get $350 them easy, you passed by cash

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u86/SlimmSaltine/IMG_20130408_164400_zps26d6c1b0.jpg (http://s166.photobucket.com/user/SlimmSaltine/media/IMG_20130408_164400_zps26d6c1b0.jpg.html)

MoistCabbage
07-13-13, 11:54 AM
They're pretty rare. Optional on the Eldorado only, '00-'02 only, and very, very few got them.

cadillac kevin
07-13-13, 12:38 PM
They're pretty rare. Optional on the Eldorado only, '00-'02 only, and very, very few got them.

I've passed over a few of them (all were black). Didn't think they were super rare

CadillacPimpinNOLA
07-13-13, 12:53 PM
yea thats the most ive found was the ebony wood wheel, the tan ones ive come across were always beat up and/or sky high...now ya know, easy money "IF" you can come across one cheap

cadillac kevin
07-13-13, 01:25 PM
yea thats the most ive found was the ebony wood wheel, the tan ones ive come across were always beat up and/or sky high...now ya know, easy money "IF" you can come across one cheap

Yard has a fixed price of 10 bucks a wheel (at least for the older wheels I've pulled). Might charge me a bit more because of the controls on it.

MoistCabbage
07-13-13, 01:28 PM
If you find nice ones, grab 'em. The FWD guys would love them.

cadillac kevin
07-13-13, 02:32 PM
If only I had known (same with all the 2 spoke leather wrapped 80s toronado + fiero wheels the wagon guys like)

CadillacPimpinNOLA
07-13-13, 03:20 PM
the pull apart here has those type set prices, like $15 for the wheel, $50 for an airbag, just the only wood wheel ive found in there was in a 2000 seville, nothing worth getting.

cadillac kevin
07-13-13, 04:44 PM
the pull apart here has those type set prices, like $15 for the wheel, $50 for an airbag, just the only wood wheel ive found in there was in a 2000 seville, nothing worth getting.

Ours charge the same for airbag or non (I paid 10 bucks for a 96 park avenue wheel with SRS and 10 bucks for a nice leather wrapped 80s caddy wheel) I'm not sure if they would charge me more for steering wheel controls or not.

MoistCabbage
07-13-13, 09:46 PM
When I go to a junk yard, I always ask for the price of a part before I remove it (before they see it), give them as little information as possible, and give them the oldest year for a given body style. That way the part they have in their head is old and as basic as possible. For example:

"How much for a front seat for a '98 Seville?", will almost definitely get a lower quote than "how much for a power, heated, leather seat for an '01 Seville, with the side impact airbag and seatbelt still attached?".

Usually, I'll walk in with a part, and they see how many other things are attached, and try to raise the price, but I just point out they've already quoted a price. It's saved me money on lots of things.

cadillac kevin
07-13-13, 10:02 PM
When I go to a junk yard, I always ask for the price of a part before I remove it (before they see it), give them as little information as possible, and give them the oldest year for a given body style. That way the part they have in their head is old and as basic as possible. For example:

"How much for a front seat for a '98 Seville?", will almost definitely get a lower quote than "how much for a power, heated, leather seat for an '01 Seville, with the side impact airbag and seatbelt still attached?".

Usually, I'll walk in with a part, and they see how many other things are attached, and try to raise the price, but I just point out they've already quoted a price. It's saved me money on lots of things.

when I bought a roadmaster dual exhaust crossmember, I asked at the gate (this was at a different yard) and the guy said 16 bucks. I pull it and bring it out nad the guy says what is that. I say its a roadmaster crossmember. he says "damn if I knew it was bigger, I would have told you 25 bucks". not sure how its big enough over a normal crossmember to warrant an extra 9 dollars, but whatever