: Cadillac Disrespect

kmhebert
02-23-05, 11:24 PM
What do you do when someone blatantly and unnecessarily disrespects your Cadillac? One of my friends insists on referring to my 88 Brougham as my "POS Caddy" (he leases a Jeep Wrangler) :want:. To me, the advantages of driving a classically styled American luxury car are dead obvious, and the fact that the car has a few years on it makes no difference. I think my car is fantastic and the way I see it, the only explanation is that he's just jealous. :coolgleam But how do you all answer people who dismiss your ride as a Grandpa car or worse? How do you make people understand that you like to cruise in style with all the room and relaxation you'll ever need? :banghead:

Adam
02-23-05, 11:39 PM
hmmm, i usually have something to say but it is all geared toward ricers :disappoin . if ever he gets rice just tell him to shut up and help pull his car out of you air filter. i was told by a ricer one time "hey, i usually see cars like yours in a handicapped space." i just replied "hey, i usually see cars like yours stuck in my air filter (sometimes i switch it up and say tail pipe).

OOOHHHHH WAIT he drives a jeep right? ok say jeep, just empty every pocket, hey why dont you get something worth driving like hey a Cadillac (by the way it is not ment to be funny or anything, i hate jeeps)

Ralph
02-23-05, 11:41 PM
What do you do when someone blatantly and unnecessarily disrespects your Cadillac? One of my friends insists on referring to my 88 Brougham as my "POS Caddy" (he leases a Jeep Wrangler) :want:. To me, the advantages of driving a classically styled American luxury car are dead obvious, and the fact that the car has a few years on it makes no difference. I think my car is fantastic and the way I see it, the only explanation is that he's just jealous. :coolgleam But how do you all answer people who dismiss your ride as a Grandpa car or worse? How do you make people understand that you like to cruise in style with all the room and relaxation you'll ever need? :banghead:

I think he's just jealous. :sneaky: Tell him if he likes a rough ride he can keep his Jeep. Luxury is a status symbol! Driving a luxury car is a statement that says "I've arrived, and I'm damn well showing it off and letting everybody know it!" You can't do that in a Jeep! I have to deal with a friend who has a BMW and to me it is an impersonation luxury car. To me luxury is a smooth ride and a lot of options, not a rough ride with a black lung hard-leather interior. A Jeep's a Jeep, but a Cadillac is classy and like no other.

ben72227
02-24-05, 12:52 AM
I just say:

F*ck the Fast and the Furious
I ride slow and LUXURIOUS!

But then again, most people don't think my Caddy is a POS, so...

EDIT: i didn't see that the guy had a JEEP WRANGLER. He's definately jealous that he drives the cheapest jeep made. not to mention its a chrysler vehicle. Tell him that real men drive HUMMERS!:p not wussy jeep wranglers...

Ralph
02-24-05, 12:58 AM
Tell him that real men drive HUMMERS

Or Escalades. :)

skides1
02-24-05, 01:41 AM
I looked for the thread. Where is it?!! I say dog his butt mercilously using as much deggrading vocab as possible! Who the F**k leases a Jeep Wrangler, and hangs out on a Cadillac site? What an idiot-which way did he go? :sneaky: Nevermind, I just noticed this was in real life, not on the forum. In that case race his a** or see who can get more ladies in the back!

danbuc
02-24-05, 02:54 AM
I tell them very politely to "F**K OFF!", and go back to driving their diesel Chevette. It just people attempting to insult those who are priviledge to someting they do not have. When someone says something to me, I merely ask what kind of car they drive, and the argument ends right there. It usually goes something like this. "Hey, your caddy is a piece of crap!"...."Oh yeah, well what kind of car do you drive?"...." 92 Civic hatchback"....."I'm sorry to hear that". At that point, they usually come back with someting along the line of, "Whatever...", and then walk away. It's a real shame that people have to insult those who happen to have a nicer car than they do. I wonder what makes that Jeep owner think he's so high and mighty, sitting atop his little 4x4. Kind of sad when you really think about it. :helpless:

gothicaleigh
02-24-05, 11:26 AM
I say pay no heed to the ignorant masses.

slk230mb
02-24-05, 01:03 PM
Definately jealousy, I have a friend that insists on telling every one that I drive an Escarole. I've given up trying to correct him, that just makes him happier. But dare I say a word about his POS Caprice... He's just to immature to be able to realize that if he wants to play, its a two-way street.

Katshot
02-24-05, 02:06 PM
Back in the old days, owning a Cadillac or other "luxury car" really DID mean something. Nowadays, cars are lasting so much longer that virtually anyone can eventually own a luxury car. Hell, driving through the low-rent neighborhoods around our factory in Trenton, you see more luxury cars than I do in the suburbs where I live! :rolleyes:
It seems the poorer you are, the more important it is to impress others with your car. That being said, I think that has a lot to do with the overall lack of respect you might get when driving YOUR Cadillac, especially if it's an older model. Besides that, any younger person driving one will usually get made fun of by their peers mainly because they are being different.

D-town lac
02-24-05, 02:25 PM
it would look foolish trying to kick a lean in a jeep

chadillac
02-24-05, 03:19 PM
well im 26 yo, My friend who drives a 02 lancer said why a grandpa car? I said well here is the keys take her for a spin. He got in and took her around the block.
He said when he got back Whoa! Talk about power! Now his lancer is up for sale.
I have a 96 Deville Concours with the northstar w. k&n cold intake, speed chip. 330 hp!

dkozloski
02-25-05, 02:01 AM
Tell him to watch his mouth or you won't give him a ride.

sts15l7
02-25-05, 02:50 AM
mannn...just tell him to talk once he can afford a car with a roof :histeric:

:thumbsup:

Duncan
02-25-05, 11:12 AM
Ask him the last time he saw a ten year old jeep on the road that looked as good.

1toycad
02-26-05, 03:16 AM
Back in the old days, owning a Cadillac or other "luxury car" really DID mean something. Nowadays, cars are lasting so much longer that virtually anyone can eventually own a luxury car. Hell, driving through the low-rent neighborhoods around our factory in Trenton, you see more luxury cars than I do in the suburbs where I live! :rolleyes:
It seems the poorer you are, the more important it is to impress others with your car. That being said, I think that has a lot to do with the overall lack of respect you might get when driving YOUR Cadillac, especially if it's an older model. Besides that, any younger person driving one will usually get made fun of by their peers mainly because they are being different.

Those are some interesting observations. I'd like to add a couple of comments on the same vein.

When I was younger, I used to ride my bike through some real nice neighborhoods. I was always impressed witht he fact that the people who had enough money to lieve in these houses still drove fairly modest cars. Now that I am older and live in one of those neighborhoods I understand the reason why: as Katshot stated, once you get to a certain point in life, there is no longer a need to impress others with flashy wheels. (Also, who can afford flashy wheels with a big mortgage to pay and kids to send to college :hide: ).

A second observation. during the recent So. California monsoons, a very modest looking (trashy) trailer park was washed away by a swollen creek. As my son and I watched the news coverage, we saw a couple of the trailer park denizens driving away in flashy Escalades. My son looked at me and said: "That's why they live in tralier parks, they throw away all their money in their ride!" Again, the need to impress wins over the need to live in better housing!:tisk:

majax
02-26-05, 03:30 AM
It's like that in my town.

I to have a friend like that, likes VW. He usually says all American cars "suck." What do I do:disappoin

Lets just put matches in our friends gas tanks:shhh:

I could think of a lot of good ways to insult my friend, but I don't do that. He once said "even i would own that" about a CTS-v and I just wanted to say that "gee and I thought it was a good car, but since you like it..."

Most people don't think it through when they insult your car.

Kev
02-26-05, 03:57 AM
Why say anything? If you love your car as much as I love mine, it doesn't matter what other people say about it. Let it go man, it's not worth the aggravation.

90Brougham350
02-27-05, 01:24 PM
To each his own. I'm sure to some people the thin tall chrome tailights are just plain ugly. Of course, I find the bland, inoffensive styling every non-luxury car company seems to be overusing these days to be just as ugly, but this is America, or Canada, or England, whereever you are, you can drive whatever you want. You also have the freedom to live in a trailer park and drive a 'slade. Either way, it doesn't really matter, ignorance and apathy will keep people telling us we drive grandpa cars, but hey, at least we have the choice; I mean, we could be driving Trebants....

Brian

CharBroiled
02-27-05, 02:27 PM
Opposite sides of the spectrum.. A Caddy is born for the road, a Wrangler is born to offroad. Ever drive a Wrangler at 70 on a highway? Man you feel every bump and grove in the pavement and a couple hours of that is a killer. Ever go mudding in a Caddy (not 4WD ones)? Youll get about 15 feet into the bog and sink to the side view mirrors. So from the respective POVs, each is a POS for what the other was born to do.

BTW there are not many old jeeps because they keep breaking due to unbelievable abuse. In offrading, if you dont break parts, youre not serious about it.

TomDeville
03-01-05, 01:37 AM
He can bump his way to hell in his
quasi soccer mom jeep.
You know how I play.
He's out of Boyz night,
poker night. No Super Bowl
party invite. On probation!
Are you sure he is a he?
Sh..! He's off the Christmas card list!
Cadillac Disrespection is a repugnant,
reprehensible, loathsome, vile and
deplorable crime against all that
is righteous in this messed up, ass
backward, ricerlovin, minivan, jeepwrangler,
4 cyl. Vtech world.
He called your ride a POS?!!??!!!
Don't get me going!
Just don't tell me he called you grandpa
when you're sporting the best ride in the world!!

Tom Deville :coolgleam

devilleconcours100
03-12-05, 12:38 PM
Hey, I know how you feel. I have an uncle, who only drives "man cars" like a Jeep Cherokee or International Scout. To me, a guy who grew up driving Oldsmobiles, Buicks, and Chevrolets, and finally graduated to a Cadillac, I love my car. However, he is always saying, "When are you going to get a real man's truck, instead of that old womans piece of junk." The funny thing is he can't keep his 'man cars' running, whereas with regular maintenence, my GM products just 'keep on truckin'.

Thanks for letting me Vent.

kmhebert
03-12-05, 03:43 PM
Ha, thanks for all the great responses. I agree, much better than to ride in style than suffer all year long just for the occassional off-road adventure.

DopeStar 156
03-13-05, 01:56 AM
Next time he gives you shit, hit him with your car. He can't talk if you shatter his jaw with your bumper guards.

Scandalous
03-13-05, 05:08 AM
i juss tell em that no other ride beats the prestige of an old school Lac. it juss cant be beat. for pure ride quality, street cred, and cool factor, cadillac is where its at. then i ask them when the last time their (fill in blank of shitty car here) got them laid.

90Brougham350
03-13-05, 02:31 PM
i juss tell em that no other ride beats the prestige of an old school Lac. it juss cant be beat. for pure ride quality, street cred, and cool factor, cadillac is where its at. then i ask them when the last time their (fill in blank of shitty car here) got them laid.

:yeah:
:histeric::histeric::histeric::histeric::histeric:

Brian

Scandalous
03-14-05, 03:22 AM
Thinkin bacc on it tho, i have really only owned big Caprices before, also a "Grandpa car", but where im from, these arent seen as grandpa cars, they are seen as Gangsta cars, so anyone driving them gets mad respect.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-24-05, 09:16 PM
well next time any of your guys or me encounter a ricer that thinks their 1992 Civic is better than your King Of The Road caddy, just race em, and 9 times out of 10 you would beat them unless you have a HT4100 or that civic is really fast, you will win mainly B/C YOU HAVE A V8!!!! and theres almost no replacement for displacement!!!

Kev
03-24-05, 09:47 PM
He can bump his way to hell in his
quasi soccer mom jeep.
You know how I play.
He's out of Boyz night,
poker night. No Super Bowl
party invite. On probation!
Are you sure he is a he?
Sh..! He's off the Christmas card list!
Cadillac Disrespection is a repugnant,
reprehensible, loathsome, vile and
deplorable crime against all that
is righteous in this messed up, ass
backward, ricerlovin, minivan, jeepwrangler,
4 cyl. Vtech world.
He called your ride a POS?!!??!!!
Don't get me going!
Just don't tell me he called you grandpa
when you're sporting the best ride in the world!!

Tom Deville :coolgleamBreath Tom. .... Take a breath buddy. .... That's it, there you go. Now, doesn't that feel better? ;)

TomDeville
03-24-05, 10:27 PM
Hi Kev,
I SHOULD breathe more often.
I was evidently in a vitriolic, verbal
diarrheaish, rancorous ejaculatory
(not in a Natasha way Ralph) mode
on that particular occasion.
At least I didn't say run him
over like DopeStar meritoriously
suggested.

TomDeville
:coolgleam

davesdeville
03-25-05, 04:54 AM
I've never heard a word of disrespect about driving my 78 Brougham, 75 Deville, or 95 ETC to school. The older ones are big monsters that could probably pound with a school bus, and hell they had a 75 in the Pimp Juice video. And the 95 ETC is probably the second nicest ride at school except for the token rich guy's new M3 (god I want to nitrous the Caddy and smoke that guy.) There are a coupe Mustangs and one Camaro who could smoke me, but they don't have heated 8 way power seats with power lumbar supports now do they?

powerglide
03-26-05, 11:56 PM
wrangler?? talk about your classic POS....he's got saran wrap for windows for pete's sake.

Like chadillac says, he's probably never driven a caddy before....poor bastard.

Jesda
03-27-05, 08:55 AM
Next time he gives you shit, hit him with your car. He can't talk if you shatter his jaw with your bumper guards.

Hey guys I dont think we should be promoting viole...BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA run his smarmy ass over! :D

Sandy
03-27-05, 03:57 PM
What's with the constant negitive connotations regarding "Grandpa" and "Grandma" cars? They shouldn't have some cars that they like? Wouldn't they look like fools in a Sicon or Civic Coupe with a wing?

Stoneage_Caddy
03-27-05, 05:38 PM
What's with the constant negitive connotations regarding "Grandpa" and "Grandma" cars? They shouldn't have some cars that they like? Wouldn't they look like fools in a Sicon or Civic Coupe with a wing?
Actually around here i see quite a few "seniors" driving the Boxy Scions ...they buy what they want ....ive seen a 80 year old man driving a f355 ferarri ....clogging up the left hand lane ...probably the only time in my life i could blow away a ferarri like it was standing still

Jesda
03-27-05, 06:08 PM
The Honda Element sells mostly to middle aged and older women. I dont really know why.

TomDeville
03-27-05, 07:23 PM
Isn't that Element thing the Ugliest POS
on wheels these days, with the Aztec and
Rendevous completing the medal round?

Sir Stoneman, I think that you live
in snowbird retirement heaven, so the stylin'
rides that the elders are sporting in Fla. are
their dream cars and stuff, not exactly what
they were driving in their preretirement snow,
salt and sand zones.

I ONLY agree with Sandy about 110% of the
time ;and, hereby assert and purport the contention
that North American culture disrespects the elderly.
Cadillac is now deemed cool because
the pop culture has distanced the Caddy image
from the 60 year old successful guy backbone.
However, in reality, unless your a Rapper, playa' pimp,
baller or the most recent guy to be doin' JLo type, you
aren't likely to be buying a Caddy NEW. It's still the 60
year old, productive member of society, successful
guy who constitutes the backbone of the Caddy
institution. The negative Grandparent connotations
are in and of themselves perjorative and unduly
negative. They constitute a concrete manifestation
of one of our most problematic; but, generally
undiscussed societal ills, being the total irreverence
for the elderly. In most cultures the elderly are respected,
viewed as a source of wisdom and knowledge ;and, the elderly
are actually held in high esteem. 'Old Age' homes don't even
exist, as they would be considered cruel, disrespectful and
unconscionable. Why can't a car also cater to someone
who has paid their dues, without being considered negatively
and within the adult diaper context?

TomDeville
:coolgleam :coolgleam

Jesda
03-27-05, 08:23 PM
Updating and changing is how competition is done. The elderly dont embrace change, so they arent targetted by marketers. Thats changing somewhat with the boomers, who live more active lifestyles in their old age.

danbuc
03-29-05, 03:40 AM
Maybe this little story will lighten the mood here.

I brought my car into the school shope the other day, during lab, so I could do my plugs and wires. While it was in there, five other guys (all good buddies of mine, whoa also all drive inports), all climb into the thing to check it out. The three guys in the back seat, are amazed by the middle arm rest, when they discover the fold out cup holder. The guy in the front passanger seat, is amazed by the cd, and md changers. The guy in the driver seat, who is obsessed with Nissan 240's, is astounded by the tilt steering wheel. The first thing out of his mouth was, "This thing is MAD PIMP. If this were mine, I'd be pickin' up chick s left and right. This car is f**kin' HOT!" This was then followed by an immediate "Damn Right, and F**kin' A!" response from the rest of the guys still sitting in the car checking it out. After they finally exited the car (they sat in there for about 30 minutes, while I messed with the oscillascope), they all had a new found respect for my car. It made me feel really good to see people, who think imports are the best things on the road, show such respect for a domestic car.

It's kind of funny (and stupid), but at school, I'm officially known as "Cadillac Dan", or CD for short. I actually had someguy in my lab group, try to convince me, that the Integra LS parked next to me, would kick my car's ass. Much to my suprise, my friend who just so happens to drive the Integra GSR I schooled a month or so back, walks over, and put this other guy in his place. I just laughed. Nothing better that one ricer explaing to another ricer, how my domestic land yacht, would absolutely destroy the Integra sitting next to me. The funny thing is, my friend will defend Acura's (oops, I mean Honda's) power, and reliability to the death.

Sandy
03-29-05, 11:28 AM
Growing up, my Dad told me to "save your money" and pay cash for as much as possible, and that fianancing a car or "time payments" is a waste of money. Save your money & pay cash. So, I listened and got my 1st new Caddy at age 47. Makes me think of that guy driving his Ferrari. He musta done the same, and it took him until 80-something! I live in a modest house in a modest neighborhood, and have no mortgage, and sleep much better at night than if I had a jumbo mortgage and a luxury home in a fashionable upscale la di da neighborhood. My Dad only drove Imperials 'cause his 1/2 uncle owned a dealership, & Dad got a new one every year, FREEBEEE ! Otherwise, he would been driving base model Ford Falcons or Chevy Novas.
(He wasn't into cars. ~ Oops, "Machines" !!)

avokshi
03-29-05, 11:44 AM
I would just start the engine and lt the lovely purr drown out his whiny voice!

powerglide
03-29-05, 01:59 PM
Maybe this little story will lighten the mood here.

I brought my car into the school shope the other day, during lab, so I could do my plugs and wires. While it was in there, five other guys (all good buddies of mine, whoa also all drive inports), all climb into the thing to check it out. The three guys in the back seat, are amazed by the middle arm rest, when they discover the fold out cup holder. The guy in the front passanger seat, is amazed by the cd, and md changers. The guy in the driver seat, who is obsessed with Nissan 240's, is astounded by the tilt steering wheel. The first thing out of his mouth was, "This thing is MAD PIMP. If this were mine, I'd be pickin' up chick s left and right. This car is f**kin' HOT!" This was then followed by an immediate "Damn Right, and F**kin' A!" response from the rest of the guys still sitting in the car checking it out. After they finally exited the car (they sat in there for about 30 minutes, while I messed with the oscillascope), they all had a new found respect for my car. It made me feel really good to see people, who think imports are the best things on the road, show such respect for a domestic car.

It's kind of funny (and stupid), but at school, I'm officially known as "Cadillac Dan", or CD for short. I actually had someguy in my lab group, try to convince me, that the Integra LS parked next to me, would kick my car's ass. Much to my suprise, my friend who just so happens to drive the Integra GSR I schooled a month or so back, walks over, and put this other guy in his place. I just laughed. Nothing better that one ricer explaing to another ricer, how my domestic land yacht, would absolutely destroy the Integra sitting next to me. The funny thing is, my friend will defend Acura's (oops, I mean Honda's) power, and reliability to the death.

Back in 94, Rochester NY, I had a buddy looking to buy his first car. He and his family had decided it HAD to be Japanese, most possibly a Honda. I kinda 'understood' where he was coming from, FWD, reliable etc...but at the same time I knew he didn't know what he was talkin about. So instead of wasting my breath on why he should at least give a land yacht a try, I just tossed him the keys to my 1984 Lincoln Towncar. (talk about your yachts...this thing had external limo lights on the B pillars)

He couldn't believe I would just 'lend' him my car like that (the car cost me $1000 only....I was relaxed) Furthermore, he couldnt believe how plush the interior and the ride was, how much space it had, how easy it was to drive, how much he loved he loved it. Since he knew I've had it for a while, reliablilty came as a surprise to him too (for the price I mean).

Long short, we looked in the autotrade, drove to see a few cars, and he was stylin in his 'new' 88 Grand Marquis. Since then, he's been hooked. When the Grand Marquis gave up the goat, he searched out a 94 Caprice cop car.

Check it out, he loves the thing so much he made a web page about it:
http://www.webspawner.com/users/pnagy/caprice.html

One quick ride can convert a non-believer.

Kev
03-29-05, 02:21 PM
One quick ride can convert a non-believer.That's Gospel, baby!

My daughters looked at my Caddy with disdain when I first bought it. Then I let my oldest drive it and she exclamed; "Wow, this drives nice! This is cool!" Shortly after she named it 'Chaniqua'. Then my niece drove it, another convert. My youngest just turned 15. She's the last holdout. At first she viewed it with contempt and fussed every time she had to ride in it. She was embarrassed to have her friends see her in it. She's warmed up a little, when I drive her and her friends around they sit in the back and act like they're in a limo.

Her resistance is futile! Guess what she'll be learning to drive in?

Stoneage_Caddy
03-29-05, 02:56 PM
That's Gospel, baby!

My daughters looked at my Caddy with disdain when I first bought it. Then I let my oldest drive it and she exclamed; "Wow, this drives nice! This is cool!" Shortly after she named it 'Chaniqua'. Then my niece drove it, another convert. My youngest just turned 15. She's the last holdout. At first she viewed it with contempt and fussed every time she had to ride in it. She was embarrassed to have her friends see her in it. She's warmed up a little, when I drive her and her friends around they sit in the back and act like they're in a limo.

Her resistance is futile! Guess what she'll be learning to drive in?
The Ford Lincoln Mercury AeroWindFreeStar ?

Kev
03-29-05, 03:02 PM
The Ford Lincoln Mercury AeroWindFreeStar ?Whah? .. Huh?? :confused: You lost me on that one....?

Stoneage_Caddy
03-29-05, 03:04 PM
oh "aerostar" i knew it was a ford built minivan of some sort ...

Jesda
03-29-05, 04:40 PM
I got to drive a Caprice around extensively for about a year. Went to prom in it. What a great ride! Not exactly intended for spectacular feedback and handling (200hp OHV base model) but it was solid, comfy, quiet, and great on gas.

Kev
03-29-05, 04:57 PM
oh "aerostar" i knew it was a ford built minivan of some sort ...Who's talkin about Aerostars? And why? :hmm:

Stoneage_Caddy
03-29-05, 09:37 PM
Who's talkin about Aerostars? And why? :hmm:
Ok hang onto something ....hes what i was up to ....i hate it when my jokes fall flat on there face like this ...

First you said :

Her resistance is futile! Guess what she'll be learning to drive in?:
So i said

The Ford Lincoln Mercury AeroWindFreeStar ??:
Then you said :

Whah? .. Huh?? You lost me on that one....???:
Then i said

oh "aerostar" i knew it was a ford built minivan of some sort ..

Which means
What do you think my daughter will learn to drive in ?
Me thinking "protect the caddy at all cost" said "the aerostar"

:banghead:

Kev
03-29-05, 09:40 PM
Ok hang onto something ....hes what i was up to ....i hate it when my jokes fall flat on there face like this ...

First you said :

So i said

Then you said :

Then i said

Which means
What do you think my daughter will learn to drive in ?
Me thinking "protect the caddy at all cost" said "the aerostar"

:banghead:DOH!! Sorry, I'm gettin' slow in my old age.

danbuc
03-30-05, 01:19 AM
You want to see a real land yacht? Well, it's more of a land barge than anything. This is my step fathers 1963 Mercury Monterey. This car if HUGE! It's has to be one of the widest, longest car's I've ever seen, and it's only a two door. The trunk alone, is about 1/3 the length of the car. It rides really damn nice though, and is really comfortable. Not too many car's on the road from the 1960's, that have an electric roll down rear window either. It's hard to find car's this big anymore, it's a real shame.

tru504187211
03-30-05, 08:29 AM
Yea, I've had a few friends talk sh*t and start to snicker at Sixty :want: ...until they needed a ride down the block...since then, not a word except, 'how's Sixty?' I saw them rubbing on the leather and the relaxed expressions on their faces -- gets them every time!

adam_mcd
03-30-05, 07:34 PM
everyone i meet loves my 79 coupe..but a few times, ill hear 'shit brown' and from the kids 'poop brown'. now with the adults, i can just scuff it off and go 'bitch please...its metallic copper' and with the kids, its hard for them to understand the timelessness of metallic copper. so i just kick them in the face. yea, even in front of their parents; they know whats up

Kev
03-30-05, 07:40 PM
You want to see a real land yacht? Well, it's more of a land barge than anything. This is my step fathers 1963 Mercury Monterey. This car if HUGE! It's has to be one of the widest, longest car's I've ever seen, and it's only a two door. The trunk alone, is about 1/3 the length of the car. It rides really damn nice though, and is really comfortable. Not too many car's on the road from the 1960's, that have an electric roll down rear window either. It's hard to find car's this big anymore, it's a real shame.Yeah, I remember those electric rear windows. You could find them in the mercs, some mopars and a few of the thunderbirds I think. Didn't AMC have a big lux ride with an electric rear window too?

Jesda
03-30-05, 09:56 PM
Wow, that Monterey is gorgeous! I'm amazed you can park it in that little garage space.

danbuc
03-31-05, 01:59 AM
That's the pics we took, when we picked it up from the original owner. The garage at my house that it's parked in though, is only a tiny bit larger than that garage. My Mustang barely fit in our garage. I'm still amazed how my step father manages to park it in there. He's got literally about 4 inches on either side, and the rear bumper clears the garage door by about 2 inches. There's no way I could ever park that thing in our garage, with out completely ruining the car. I guess that's why he won't let me drive it. That, and the "3 on the tree" manual column shifter is a real pain in the ass.

adam_mcd
03-31-05, 12:57 PM
i know the amc ambassador is a dream car of mine, could that be it kev?

addison_ii
04-20-05, 02:19 AM
Tell him next time you guys go somewhere you'll drive. Oh but don't forget, to tell him he can bring his Jeep along(just put it in the trunk).

HoganRadial
04-30-05, 07:46 PM
I know how you feel, only I feel that way about ALL America cars and trucks.

I can't belive the number of imports on the road. After 9/11, you'd think ppl would get it together and support the US automakers more . Instead, all you see on the road is Toyotas, Hondas, etc.

Sad to see.
GM had what, 55-60% marketshare in the late 70's. Now thay have less then 30%.

TomDeville
04-30-05, 09:00 PM
EsteemedCaddyCommunity,

People just do not understand
how serious the Rice proliferation
is. Insidiously growing already to
the point of domination. This will
ultimately lead to the annihilation
of the North American automobile
sector, which is already a crumbling
cornerstone industry. If you believe
I am exaggerating, think of the last
time that you bought a television
made by an North American
manufacturer? That's just the tip
of the iceberg.
Get the picture? :yup:

TomDeville :coolgleam
:coolgleam

powerglide
04-30-05, 10:18 PM
Free market economy.

Make good products and the buyers will follow.

Nothing unpatriotic about it......GM needs to get it together, pure and simple.

Ralph
04-30-05, 10:27 PM
Free market economy.

Make good products and the buyers will follow.

Nothing unpatriotic about it......GM needs to get it together, pure and simple.

Ahem, Cadillac are making GOOD cars right now and if you really want a car with problems feel free to buy a Mercedes.

It simply amazes me that people still think Cadillac "builds crappy cars!" I'm really tired of that old excuse.

http://cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23977

Sir Tom, some people won't "get it" until it's too late. Free market economy or not, if you don't buy something it will dissappear from the beloved marketplace! Say goodbye to your economy!

Poor RCA, Zenith, the fine American watch companies like Hamilton selling their soul to the Japanese. Goodbye forever...

powerglide
05-01-05, 02:51 AM
Totally agree that Caddy makes great cars (carrying GM) and Mercedes has amaizingly poor quality control these days....

However, consumers aren't gonna spend their hard earned cash to buy inferior products just to bail out a domestic firm when better alternatives are readily available.

If Sony can make a nice TV, why can't Zenith? When they do, consumers will follow.....but its not gonna be easy overcoming the 'poor quality image' that they have bought upon themselves.

Ralph
05-01-05, 03:02 AM
However, consumers aren't gonna spend their hard earned cash to buy inferior products just to bail out a domestic firm when better alternatives are readily available.

Ok, I agree with the rest of your statement but don't you feel at least SOME sort of loyality to an American car company over a Japanese?! I mean, it's YOUR countries economy that has to lay off workers from GM if less people buy their cars, etc. You have the choice allright, as to what you can buy but THINK of the hard consequences because when it's too late, it's too late.

Personally, when my Dad had a Gulf service station in the 1970's the only cars I ever worked on or saw were large American cars we called "domestic." So That's my connection to American cars and I do feel they make as good as the Japanese do currently, and CERTAINLY better than the Germans! I do feel loyality towards GM because I got 250,000 kms out of an '80 Pontiac Phoenix with NO major trouble that was written off as a "lemon" by many respected sources back then.

I would buy a new Cadillac with TOTAL confidence and not look back! PLUS, I'd be supporting the American economy, or at least keeping the money a little closer to "home."

Ralph
05-01-05, 03:05 AM
If Sony can make a nice TV, why can't Zenith? When they do, consumers will follow.....but its not gonna be easy overcoming the 'poor quality image' that they have bought upon themselves.

But don't forget, people are still going to buy a Mercedes Benz currently and still think they are buying "the best." How are people going to know Cadillac builds good cars now if everyone is stuck on a stereotype of superior German quality, and no one will give them a chance??

powerglide
05-01-05, 03:32 AM
But don't forget, people are still going to buy a Mercedes Benz currently and still think they are buying "the best." How are people going to know Cadillac builds good cars now if everyone is stuck on a stereotype of superior German quality, and no one will give them a chance??

I agree....thats why I wrote "".....but its not gonna be easy overcoming the 'poor quality image' that they have bought upon themselves.""

Mercedes is riding on the image of great quality, while caddy suffers from their image of poor quality. (like jaguars suffers from an image of poor quality even though they actually have a great quality/reliabilty record)....time and history will change the balance.

As they say "you reap what you sow"

Ralph
05-01-05, 03:34 AM
I think even if Lexus started letting quality slack, it would be 10 years before people started realizing it. Perceived quality comes to mind. They would probablt even make excuses for why their cars broke down if they loved them enough, or loved the "Name" enough.

Hopefully the Caddy image is turning now, as I think it should be overall.

powerglide
05-01-05, 03:45 AM
....YOUR countries economy that has to lay off workers from GM if less people buy their cars, etc. You have the choice allright, as to what you can buy but THINK of the hard consequences because when it's too late, it's too late....

yeah but MANY "foreign" car companies actually manufacture in the US, hence employ americans, pay US tax........

But I am not too worried about the future of our country, shifting old world manufacturing jobs is NOT going to bring about the downfall of the coutry.

If China or Malaysia wants to weld steel to make cars for us, so be it. We shouldnt cling to the past, we need to embrace the future. Use the tools available to us here, that is not available to many outside the coutry. People here have access to some of the best schools.

If you look at the long term plans implementd by the US policymakers, its a pretty good indication of where the world is going. US isn't gonna remain the superpower by keeping GM from going under. Its gonna be by getting a quantum leap ahead of the world in high technologies such as nanotech. (right now it just a buzzword, but 10-20 years down the line this is going to pan out like you won't believe.....by then its too late for those countries that haven't invested the resources over time)

The biggest federal research expenditure since the development of computers are in nanotech. US/Japan/EU are all bustin to outspend each other in this area because those in the 'know' are convinced this is where the real battle for the future is being fought.

...ok I'm done with my rave :-)

powerglide
05-01-05, 03:51 AM
I think even if Lexus started letting quality slack, it would be 10 years before people started realizing it. Perceived quality comes to mind. They would probablt even make excuses for why their cars broke down if they loved them enough, or loved the "Name" enough.

Hopefully the Caddy image is turning now, as I think it should be overall.

Exactly! Sad but true reality of brand image......

I think caddy is doing a great job of turning their image, slowly but surely its coming around. Hopefully we'll be around on this board laughing about these 'old days' when caddy provoked images of poor quality!

I am doing my part by rollin a 7 year old caddy, demonstrating its capabilties and misconceptions with pride.

kudos to Sal and everyone here at CadillacOwners.....every entry is piece of history!

Ralph
05-01-05, 03:56 AM
yeah but MANY "foreign" car companies actually manufacture in the US, hence employ americans, pay US tax........

But I am not too worried about the future of our country, shifting old world manufacturing jobs is NOT going to bring about the downfall of the coutry.

If China or Malaysia wants to weld steel to make cars for us, so be it. We shouldnt cling to the past, we need to embrace the future. Use the tools available to us here, that is not available to many outside the coutry. People here have access to some of the best schools.

If you look at the long term plans implementd by the US policymakers, its a pretty good indication of where the world is going. US isn't gonna remain the superpower by keeping GM from going under. Its gonna be by getting a quantum leap ahead of the world in high technologies such as nanotech. (right now it just a buzzword, but 10-20 years down the line this is going to pan out like you won't believe.....by then its too late for those countries that haven't invested the resources over time)

The biggest federal research expenditure since the development of computers are in nanotech. US/Japan/EU are all bustin to outspend each other in this area because those in the 'know' are convinced this is where the real battle for the future is being fought.

...ok I'm done with my rave :-)

When you buy a foreign car money still goes overseas. I'm not talking about staying ahead, I'm talking about the survival of one particular American company. I would most certainly be concerned about China and have you seen how many cars they NOW produce?! Not to mention India and that's one of the reasons the gas prices have been higher lately! Concern for the future?? You bet! Concern for GM, Ford, Chrysler?? You bet!

http://www.autoindex.org/makelist.plt?cntr=15&letter=All

http://www.autoindex.org/makelist.plt?cntr=32&letter=All

"Shifting" old world manufacturing jobs. If that means having to lay off thousands more GM employees, just see what that does to the American economy! Inflation will skyrocket because prices of everything go up when you got less people to purchase goods and services, etc. It's my understanding the American economy hasn't been that great lately regardless. So, yes, I would be a little concerned for the future of these companies.

Look at Nortel. It's such a big company that when they had to lay off workers (my future brother in law one of them) it affected the entire country!!! I think it effected the U.S. as well!

I'm betting Chinese cars will go for sale in NA soon.

Ralph
05-01-05, 03:58 AM
I am doing my part by rollin a 7 year old caddy

Those late '90's Devilles are beautiful looking cars!

I found an awsome link that I posted here somewhere I wish I could remember where it is. It said that when you buy a Chrysler 30% of the money stays in America. when you buy a Ford, 50% of the money stays in America. when you buy a GM, 70% of the money remains in America. Do you really think the percentages are as much with Lexus, MB, BMW or Honda?? Personally, I doubt it.

powerglide
05-01-05, 04:14 AM
Those late '90's Devilles are beautiful looking cars!

Hell yes!! I think it goes for most Caddies...they are some of the most under-rated/under-valued rides in the US!

I found an awsome link that I posted here somewhere I wish I could remember where it is. It said that when you buy a Chrysler 30% of the money stays in America. when you buy a Ford, 50% of the money stays in America. when you buy a GM, 70% of the money remains in America. Do you really think the percentages are as much with Lexus, MB, BMW or Honda?? Personally, I doubt it.

Probably not.....but "thats the way the cookie crumbles"......we'll make it back elsewhere.

addison_ii
05-01-05, 04:15 AM

I agree with you on that. The government is trying to outspend other coutries to gain the edge on this technology. Also the U.S. being a superpower isn't totally dependent upon saving GM But when Ralph said this it got me to thinking.

When you buy a foreign car money still goes overseas. I'm not talking about staying ahead, I'm talking about the survival of one particular American company. I would most certainly be concerned about China and have you seen how many cars they NOW produce?! Not to mention India and that's one of the reasons the gas prices have been higher lately! Concern for the future?? You bet! Concern for GM, Ford, Chrysler?? You bet!
If we don't support these American companies(not just the automakers) then how will we work towards getting away from our dependence on foreign countries? I think our continued support for American companies does have a direct link to the economy and its fluctuations.

Randy_W
05-01-05, 10:41 AM
Probably not.....but "thats the way the cookie crumbles"......we'll make it back elsewhere.

That thinking was prevelant in Rome once, as people bought up cheap goods from other parts of the world, rather than the quality goods built inside the Empire. Pretty soon it cost so much to maintain the military, they started farming it out to the Huns. We all know what happened next! Think it can't happen here? Then you're blind to the reality!:helpless:

Just remember, that crumbling cookie is home!;)

Sandy
05-01-05, 12:33 PM
The Asian governments, of China, Japan and Korea are protectionist governments regarding who does business within AND how much business they are allowed to do within the boarders of their land. It has greatly strengthened their countries, fed their economy, fed their people, and overflowed them with cash & security.
The United States, on the other hand, has employed the w-i-d-e open door policy, enacted under Regan, which has been a horific mistake. Illeagles committing crimes and not becoming part of mainsteam America, unlimited numbers of foreign merchandise price undercutting domestics, and skirting taxes. It speaks volumes, herein, when the most outspoken person for American Patriotism and dedication to remaining loyal to homeland corporations, is in fact.... a Canadian !! Lexis, Infiniti, Mercedes, BMW, Toyota, Nissan, Kia, Hyundai, Mitsubishi & Honda can make the finest vehicles in the world, in that case, I'll drive & buy the 2nd best, a Ford, GM, Volvo or Saab, Jaguar or Aston Martin or if I had to go "Asian" it would be Isuzu (since all cars made with their name are GM cars, rebadged.)