: 79 sdv radio help!!

vicello93
07-11-13, 01:26 AM
Hi there! So I'm looking for the original 8track radio for my caddy, I found one but my concern is the mess they did with the wires years ago when they installed the aftermarket radio. I know ill have to buy the harness to plug the 8track, but with the wires I have can u guys tell me if I can just cut and put the wires together and if they will match the color of the original? These are the wires..

pompste
07-11-13, 03:23 AM
Are you sure your '79 had the 8-track in it? My '78 Deville has the original stereo radio combined with the "cassette tape" player.
Maybe they still offered the 8-track in 1979.
Others will chime in about your wiring questions.

1980coupe
07-11-13, 05:15 AM
If the radio is from another caddy, then yes. Just match the colors and you're good to go. Cadillac offered a variety of radio options, so yes an 8 track radio was an option.
I have the diagram and can tell you what wires go where, if you need assistance.

----------

The two top are rear speaker wires, next tanish and grey are front either left or right followed by the light green and green wires.
Orange is power constant, pink is antenna, yellow is power switched, grey is illumination, brown dimmer, black ground Just going off by memory here...
This is a good website for wiring
www.the12volt.com
Search Cadillac and find year, model and there you go.

bigm57ict
07-11-13, 09:08 AM
Yep. Mine has the 8-track.

They also offered:
AM/FM stereo only
AM/FM with cassette
AM/FM with cassette and CB

If the one you found has a digital display (amber color), it is correct for your car.
If it has the analog tuner, it came from a '78 or earlier.

vicello93
07-11-13, 10:58 AM
That's great! Thank you all for the replies! I just need To buy the connector for the radio because it doesn't come with it.. But eBay has it so it will help

carnut
07-11-13, 01:02 PM
Most GM radios of that era had the wiring diagram engraved on the radio cover. And that wiring color code was the same from about 76 thru 85 on most if not all GM cars.

Bro-Ham
07-12-13, 07:33 AM
Are you sure your '79 had the 8-track in it? My '78 Deville has the original stereo radio combined with the "cassette tape" player.
Maybe they still offered the 8-track in 1979.
Others will chime in about your wiring questions.

1979 was the first year the cassette tape player was a Cadillac factory option, 8-track was also still available.

1979 was also the first year the ETR radio became standard on all Cadillacs. The ETR radio first appeared as an option on 1978 Fleetwood Brougham and Seville.

I'm curious to know what kind of radio is in the car now? Was the trim bezel altered to fit the aftermarket radio? If so then you may likely need to consider a replacement which seem to be fairly commonly available on eBay.

A factory service manual may also have answers on the wiring.

Good luck and have fun listening to stereophonic excellence on the magic of high fidelity 8-track tapes in your 79 Cadillac! :)

vicello93
07-12-13, 06:24 PM
Ok so I ended up buying a cassette/radio unit , it was a good deal so I jumped on it:) also bought the connectors to plug it in. Now I'm anxious to get it!

----------

1979 was the first year the cassette tape player was a Cadillac factory option, 8-track was also still available.

1979 was also the first year the ETR radio became standard on all Cadillacs. The ETR radio first appeared as an option on 1978 Fleetwood Brougham and Seville.

I'm curious to know what kind of radio is in the car now? Was the trim bezel altered to fit the aftermarket radio? If so then you may likely need to consider a replacement which seem to be fairly commonly available on eBay.

A factory service manual may also have answers on the wiring.

Good luck and have fun listening to stereophonic excellence on the magic of high fidelity 8-track tapes in your 79 Cadillac! :)

It has a digital, crappy radio, Optimus brand. They used the old radio brackets to install. Apparently it fitted right in.
Haha I wish I have gotten the 8track... Maybe in the future when I come across a good deal lol

cadillac kevin
07-12-13, 06:52 PM
Ok so I ended up buying a cassette/radio unit , it was a good deal so I jumped on it:) also bought the connectors to plug it in. Now I'm anxious to get it!
----------

It has a digital, crappy radio, Optimus brand. They used the old radio brackets to install. Apparently it fitted right in.
Haha I wish I have gotten the 8track... Maybe in the future when I come across a good deal lol

optimus brand radio? got a pic? Haven't seen too many of those lately...something about they sucked

carnut
07-12-13, 09:26 PM
Optimus? Isn't that the RADIO SHACK brand? and you used the words Cassette 8 track and the future in the same post. I think "Back To The Future" is more accurate! :)

vicello93
07-12-13, 09:29 PM
Optimus? Isn't that the RADIO SHACK brand? and you used the words Cassette 8 track and the future in the same post. I think "Back To The Future" is more accurate! :)

Hahah

vicello93
07-20-13, 07:21 PM
Update! Radio and in and is installed and working. Speakers work but sound goes on and off on the front left speaker sometimes. But overall I'm quite happy:)

cadillac kevin
07-20-13, 08:04 PM
Update! Radio and in and is installed and working. Speakers work but sound goes on and off on the front left speaker sometimes. But overall I'm quite happy:)

I'm guessing bad connection at the radio or speaker itself, worn out speaker, or an internal problem with the radio (i.e. bad channel). Did you have this problem prior to swapping the radio?

vicello93
07-20-13, 09:31 PM
I'm guessing bad connection at the radio or speaker itself, worn out speaker, or an internal problem with the radio (i.e. bad channel). Did you have this problem prior to swapping the radio?

No it was working fine before, but I went for a drive and the radio mends itself after three minutes and works fine. Go figure but yeah might be the radio because I could find the connector for the back so I welded every wire to the right place. It works fine but after three minutes lol