: Self leveling shocks question?

longslim
07-11-13, 02:24 AM
I had a problem with the front driver shock and it was replaced by the dealer. Now I notice the car doesn't change height as it did before on start up or shut off. Can anyone explain how the air shock works on this car. I need help and any answer is appreciated. so when I take it in to the dealer I know what to tell them.

dhemrick
07-26-13, 04:20 PM
At least in our XTS, you can hear the air pump kick in when the car is self leveling. This is similar to other self leveling Cadillacs I have owned and ridden in going back to the 1970's models. As an aside, in the older cars, there was a light on the dash which said "Level Ride" that illuminated when the air pump was running, but the modern cars did away with that indicator.

To test your self leveling system, I would suggest that you park the car on a level surface, start it and let it run for a minute or so. Then, either place heavy items in the trunk or have 2 or 3 full sized adults get into the back seat. In a few seconds, the car should try to level itself to compensate for the load. On our XTS, you can hear the air pump running until the car is level.