: I wish I had a 7th gear.

Jinx
07-10-13, 02:20 AM
Heaven knows the engine is stout enough to cruise at just above idle at 80mph or so.

As it is, the short gearing is going to eat my lunch on road trips. I mean, what am I supposed to do, slow down? Don't be absurd.

Xaqtly
07-10-13, 02:31 AM
The next CTS-V will have one. Though 6th in the V isn't exactly short either, it's just not as long as the Vettes. I'm okay with the tradeoff because I can actually accelerate in 6th and that's pretty cool.

Jinx
07-10-13, 03:37 AM
Fifth is for accelerating :)

But seriously, if it was easy to just swap out sixth for something taller (even 0.50 instead of 0.63) I'd do it. I remember the C5 had no oomph cruising in 6th (compared to the C6) and that was okay.

It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't mentally add 24 to every speed limit sign.

Of course, there's no way I'm touching any of the other gears or diff, so this is just idle complaining. And anyway, the V is quieter at speed, so it's worth it.

.Jinx

spearfish25
07-10-13, 07:54 AM
2500 rpm at 85mph doesn't bother me a bit.

Crystal Red CTS-V
07-10-13, 11:35 AM
That's what I love about my Z06 - 60 mph in 6th turning only 1340 rpm. Love that tall gearing and 27 mpg's on trips!

Jinx
07-10-13, 11:36 AM
You only go 60 mph on trips?

Crystal Red CTS-V
07-10-13, 02:40 PM
You only go 60 mph on trips?

Depends on the passenger! :)

Torxila
07-10-13, 04:44 PM
I assume you have a 6MT? Swap out 5th & 6th with the vette gears like I did. I posted on the other site about it last year when I had it done.

email me & I'll send the link

torxila@gmail.com

RaVeNous
07-10-13, 05:08 PM
I still make 21-22 mpg at 80mph as long as I use premium gas without corn, and don't have a ton of large hills. Rolling hills will cut that to 20-21

Gearing might help some, but simply because of the weight of the car, I don't know that a taller gear would net better mpg. It might actually make it worse. I would think a 6th gear like the C5 would really bog the V2 under the load of a hill, and with the added weight be even more worthless than it is in the Vette.

cruiser68
07-10-13, 06:21 PM
Depends on the passenger! :)

I think my wife and kids would whine of I drove 60! In the V I've got them conditioned to think 90-100 is 70-80 :)

cdog533
07-10-13, 06:38 PM
Having a unuseable 6th gear is nothing to pine for....

I'd rather have it be be usable and performance-oriented 6th gear rather than a 1,300 RPM lugfest!

Torxila
07-10-13, 08:52 PM
Rav & Cdog, I don't know if your cars are stock or modded. Mine is modded a bit so I only know what worked for me.

The vette gearing I related to is C6 gearing. (I can't speak to C5 gearing). I did have a 760/780 rwhp/tq TT C5 Z previous and it didn't really make any difference when cruising at 80-85 in 6th, it had more than adequate power to outrun LOTS of stuff.

With my extra torque 6th is far from useless. Now if I was to roll race someone from 70, I'd be in 3rd to start with.

For someone looking to simply run lower rpm at 80 ish in their everyday driver(50k a year) I don't see a problem. I also get you guys who would rather have the shorter ratios like stock to fully use the STOCK power curve as it was designed.

I'm not sure there is a 1300rpm lugfest option.

Jinx
07-10-13, 09:05 PM
I still make 21-22 mpg at 80mph as long as I use premium gas without corn, and don't have a ton of large hills. Rolling hills will cut that to 20-21

I haven't seen gas without corn in it since MTBE was demonized.

Gearing might help some, but simply because of the weight of the car, I don't know that a taller gear would net better mpg. It might actually make it worse. I would think a 6th gear like the C5 would really bog the V2 under the load of a hill, and with the added weight be even more worthless than it is in the Vette.

The GM Powertrain guys have been saying for years, more throttle at lower rpm is more efficient combustion for a given level of power than less throttle at higher rpm. It's why we have Computer Aided Gear Selection and why sixth has always been so tall in the Vette, and why the new C7 just adds an even-taller seventh gear.

These modern smallblocks are so ridiculously powerful, even down at 1200rpm, not even the bricklike CTS-V is going to lug unless you're climbing a significant grade... and then you downshift. The Z06 fifth and sixth combined with the V's slightly shorter rear end isn't going to be as tall overall as the base C5 was, and the V has more displacement and more grunt besides. Seems like a good combination. Though I read in a 2011 thread here that only the V and ZR1 variants of the transmission are rated for this much torque... and I think the ZR1 top gears are short like ours IIRC.

.Jinx

warmwater
07-16-13, 07:29 PM
The new 8 speed gearbox will be awesome and help improve MPG mabey higher top speed who knows.
l wonder if anyone will try and put the new 8speed tranny from the Vette in the CTS-V

Jinx
07-16-13, 09:01 PM
The Vette doesn't have an 8-speed gearbox (yet). There's a seven-speed manual and the familiar six-speed automatic.

neuronbob
07-16-13, 09:59 PM

I wish I could find pure gas around here. It only exists at boat ramps here in NE Ohio. If I could find it, I'd use it.

JFJr
07-16-13, 10:08 PM
Rav & Cdog, I don't know if your cars are stock or modded. Mine is modded a bit so I only know what worked for me.

The vette gearing I related to is C6 gearing. (I can't speak to C5 gearing). I did have a 760/780 rwhp/tq TT C5 Z previous and it didn't really make any difference when cruising at 80-85 in 6th, it had more than adequate power to outrun LOTS of stuff.

With my extra torque 6th is far from useless. Now if I was to roll race someone from 70, I'd be in 3rd to start with.

For someone looking to simply run lower rpm at 80 ish in their everyday driver(50k a year) I don't see a problem. I also get you guys who would rather have the shorter ratios like stock to fully use the STOCK power curve as it was designed.

I'm not sure there is a 1300rpm lugfest option.

Any modifications change everything, so we're talking apples to kiwis. There's a separate sub-forum for the mod guys. I learned my lesson back in the '80's; if you modify it affects everything else and you end up just buying parts and increase the failure or underperformance of other components. There's a huge industry that panders to you and makes a ton of money for your desires. At least my lesson cost me less than $800. You young guys with daddy's money, or trust fund babies, don't care; but nothing changes, so if you're neither, learn gracefully and try not to embarrass yourselves. Believe it or not, you will get smarter as you age.

Jud

stl_ls1gto
07-17-13, 04:42 AM
Ethanol free gas stations in the US......your welcome!

www.pure-gas.org

----------

Any modifications change everything, so we're talking apples to kiwis. There's a separate sub-forum for the mod guys. I learned my lesson back in the '80's; if you modify it affects everything else and you end up just buying parts and increase the failure or underperformance of other components. There's a huge industry that panders to you and makes a ton of money for your desires. At least my lesson cost me less than $800. You young guys with daddy's money, or trust fund babies, don't care; but nothing changes, so if you're neither, learn gracefully and try not to embarrass yourselves. Believe it or not, you will get smarter as you age.

Jud

So according to you, if you have a V and are young, you either have a trust, or are using your parents money? Also, according to you, if you are older, you are too smart to mod this car because it parts will fail? You sound like an old douchebag who doesn't deserve to have a V. This car is incredibly easy to make faster without stressing major components. If you don't trust the car or want to modify it, that is your decision. Plenty of people are able to make a lot of money straight out of college by the way, just have to major in something worthwhile.

JFJr
07-17-13, 11:09 AM
Ethanol free gas stations in the US......your welcome!

www.pure-gas.org

----------

So according to you, if you have a V and are young, you either have a trust, or are using your parents money? Also, according to you, if you are older, you are too smart to mod this car because it parts will fail? You sound like an old douchebag who doesn't deserve to have a V. This car is incredibly easy to make faster without stressing major components. If you don't trust the car or want to modify it, that is your decision. Plenty of people are able to make a lot of money straight out of college by the way, just have to major in something worthwhile.

Yeah, when I was a young shit, I wouldn't listen to an old douchebag either, because I already knew it all. But I majored in English in college, so I learned how to read and write. Apparently that's not taught these days.

Jud :lildevil:

Torxila
07-17-13, 03:14 PM

Jud

Jud I'm not sure what point you're trying to make? Are you trying to convey that if you modify your car, do it to the full extent of your goal(s)? i.e. make ALL the other supporting mods for reliability/drivability or you will learn the HARD way?

George

JFJr
07-17-13, 04:07 PM
Jud I'm not sure what point you're trying to make? Are you trying to convey that if you modify your car, do it to the full extent of your goal(s)? i.e. make ALL the other supporting mods for reliability/drivability or you will learn the HARD way?

George

Exactly, buying a part here and there is just that, buying parts, and doesn't really work, especially with today's integrated systems. If a comprehensive mod is done professionally, the chances of achieving your goals goes up and the probability of later problems caused by the mods goes down.

Jud

Torxila
07-17-13, 11:41 PM
I thought that's what you were going for. In over 40 years of modding my cars I learned to wait a couple of years after a new model comes out in order for the real builders/tuners to get it right. There are too many "hack" tuners out there willing to take "easy" money from the uninformed community.

Just like life, people should have a goal for what they want to do (with their car), research it, then plan it out. 1 other nugget, DON'T finance your mods.
George

stl_ls1gto
07-18-13, 12:26 AM
Yeah, when I was a young shit, I wouldn't listen to an old douchebag either, because I already knew it all. But I majored in English in college, so I learned how to read and write. Apparently that's not taught these days.

Jud :lildevil:

Just because you are old, does not make you wise....sometimes you are just old. A pulley, intake and a good custom tune will give you around 100 more, reliable horsepower, for roughly $1000. I don't know what you got burned on for your money, but you didn't do your homework.

SecretWeapon
07-26-13, 09:01 PM
Swap out your 3.73 rear end with a 3.23 from an auto trans V. I did it and it is a direct swap. The improvement will be just what you are looking for.

Jinx
07-26-13, 11:50 PM
No thanks; that makes first through fourth taller too.

SecretWeapon
07-27-13, 01:09 PM
Carry on then.

Jinx
07-27-13, 02:19 PM
Curious since you've done it, did you notice any difference in lower-speed or from-a-stop driving? Do you notice the slightly-wider gear spacing? Do you prefer it, beyond highway cruising?

SecretWeapon
07-27-13, 07:45 PM
It only took me a day to get used to the new rear end which is 14% taller than the 3.73. If you are a quarter mile queen then keep the 3.73. However, for daily driving the 3.23 is the way to go. Our cars have more than enough torque to launch quite nicely with the 3.23 rear end. The upside of the swap is significant. You no longer have to shift half way through an intersection. Highway cruising is very relaxed. Mine runs 80mph at 2k rpm. Gas mileage is improved on the highway but not as much in town driving. Finally, this swap is much more cost effective than rebuilding the entire transmission. But then again what do I know. I was only able to run a shitty 196mph at the Texas Mile and then drive my car back home and to work the next day. Cheers. S.W.