: Spark Plugs and Suspension

scarr69
02-23-05, 02:33 AM
I have a 1999 Cadillac Catera and I have 2 problems first one is I cant find the sparkplugs, I'm just trying to change them. Can someone help me find them or if someone has a a service manual on this task can you share it please. I'm Also having some suspension probles, When i hit about 60 MPH and hit the brake to slown down the car shakes really bad, I;ve replaced front Rotors,brakes and I turned the Rotors when they were new too but problem will not stop. Can anyone Help.

97Catera
02-23-05, 08:49 AM
that sounds like a brake problem to me not suspension.how long ago did you do brakes and did you get new pads and rotors or just turn the rotors

Mephy
02-23-05, 02:28 PM
To change the sparkplugs, on top of the valve covers are 3 wires that go into it. Pull those out, they go about 4-6 inches or so INTO the valve covers, that's where the spark plugs are, IN the valve covers. Odd, yes, I know.

As for the shaking problem, it could be the Calipers on the brakes. Even though you replace the rotors and pads, the calipers may not be working correcting, or it could even be a tie-rod problem. My Catera shook before I replaced my tie rods. It'll cost ya about $380 because the inner and outer tie-rods come as one piece on the Catera and they run about $120 a piece at the dealer, plus 1-1 1/2 hour work. Good luck with it!

scarr69
03-12-05, 05:55 PM
I've try looking for 3 wires on the valve covers but didnt find them, the closest wires that i found was in the back of the engine on the valve covers there is a plug but that just plugs in.

Vesicant
03-12-05, 06:56 PM
Theres a black cover that is over the plugs in the middle of the valve cover. This is what it looks like removed:

babenson
05-29-05, 08:15 PM
On the subject of shaking. I hope someone can help me here. I have a 1998 Catera and when I apply the brakes at any speed over 25 MPH the front wheels start to shake. It sounds like I either have a brake problem or a tie rod problem. Can anyone give me a way to diagnos or hyper link a previous thread on this.
Thanks all,
Brandon

omermurat
05-30-05, 03:48 PM
You said the front rotors have been replaced & machined already.. What if the machine you used was deffective? It could have done more bad than good.
I say check the rear rotors and wheels & tires also. Just lift the car and turn the wheels and try to see if they turn right (put the car on a stand first..!). One or the other is the culprit.

rainman
05-30-05, 05:34 PM
I had a similar problem and I just turned the rear rotors. Thank god! It's common when you have four wheel disk/atilock system. When working on the rear. If the callipers fall apart in your hands. don't panic. They easily go back together. It did for us. RubenandJames