: Cherie's '84 Coupe DeVille Project

Pages : [1] 2

nebulosity
07-09-13, 05:40 PM
Hi there! :) My name is Cherie. You may have noticed me around the forums this week. I signed up a year ago but haven't really gotten involved on this site until now. I've been working on an '84 Coupe DeVille project since early 2012. It was my first car, and for all intents and purposes it's pretty much like a child to me -- me and my Caddy are inseparable. I've dragged it from Arizona to Utah and now to California. I couldn't work on it while I was in AZ and UT because I was in college (for engineering if that explains my lack of spare time). Now that I'm out of college, I'm finally working on it! I am more proud of this project than you will ever know.

I recently replaced the timing components and water pump among a semi-long list of other things. I HAVE to have this car running by the end of July, after which is must depart my friend's driveway, and since I don't yet have a driveway of my own, I have to have it running and registered so that I can park it at my apartment complex (registration is another hurdle I'm going to face.. more details on that dilemma later). I need all the positive energy and ambition as possible TO. GET. THIS. DONE!! :D

In order to get it running, I have to finish putting the rest of the components back onto the front of the engine (pulleys, compressor, radiator, etc), and then I have to reconnect the distributor and spark plug wires (both new), re-time everything, put new gasoline, change the oil, change the transmission fluid, and probably a handful of other things I'm forgetting right now. Since I'm waiting for my parts to come in from McMaster (I'm devising my own harmonic balancer installer), I thought that today I can go over and wash my Caddy, clean up some of the rust (Scotts Valley, CA is humid!!) and possibly sand and prime the areas that the naval jelly can't really get.

I've been occasionally updating a project website: http://1984coupedeville.wordpress.com/

But soon the project website will be moved to my own domain and server by August 2013 (so don't pay attention to this site 'til then): http://nebulosity.cc/

I'll try to post more updates on this thread as my project progresses. :)

I hope to get to know you guys, and all of your projects and posts and replies seriously keep me moving forward with energy on my own project!

Wish me luck!!! Time to work a miracle!

csbuckn
07-09-13, 06:08 PM
Glad to see another project thread. I believe you will be the "First Lady" of the RWD forum. So was the old timing chain broke?

Submariner409
07-09-13, 06:15 PM
THAT is finest kind. A real gearhead that speaks fluent English and who can swing a wrench. (and pardon my old fart stereotypicality - is easy to look at)

Cherie, hang out in here, the Lounge and in the Engines threads. (The sticky posts at the top of each forum threads page can have some good info hidden there.)

Rust - find a spray rattle can of Rustoleum rust converter - sprays on just like semi-gloss black paint but it KILLS rust.

nebulosity
07-09-13, 06:17 PM
Glad to see another project thread. I believe you will be the "First Lady" of the RWD forum.

Wow, the first? I'm not entirely surprised, but I know these forums have been on the web for a long time. :)

So was the old timing chain broke?

Nope. My chain outlived the cam sprocket (teeth were badly stripped) and so my car did this lovely thing where it wouldn't start, but the camshaft would turn "INTERMITTENTLY," as the mechanics said. Everyone I asked about this said my camshaft was broken, or the mechanics who reported this to me didn't know what they were talking about. Turns out that hand-cranking the engine caused the chain to slip, making the camshaft movement look intermittent, and cranking the engine with the key moved the camshaft just fine (the chain somehow stuck with the momentum imparted by the starter), but because the timing was all screwed up, it wouldn't start. It was a problem that baffled me for six months before I sucked it up and tore the front of the engine off to see what the hell was going on. In the end, you can see it for yourself in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJElwzFkCW0

Terrible, huh! That was a really sad and dinky cam sprocket. :(

Poda
07-09-13, 06:20 PM
Don't you love being able to stand in the engine bay? People get a kick out of it when I pop the hood and:
A) a small block chevy looks tiny
B) I demonstrate I can stand inside there..

nebulosity
07-09-13, 06:22 PM
A real gearhead that speaks fluent English . . .

That's what 10 years of undergraduate and graduate school will do to you, lol. I suffered through grading too many papers written by junior year engineering students who couldn't even spell properly.

Cherie, hang out in here, the Lounge and in the Engines threads. (The sticky posts at the top of each forum threads page can have some good info hidden there.)

Trust me, this will be my constant, online home for the next few weeks and probably the next few months as well. There are so many posts here on the forums that every day I spend digging through threads, I learn new things. I'll keep looking too. :)

Rust - find a spray rattle can of Rustoleum rust converter - sprays on just like semi-gloss black paint but it KILLS rust.

I didn't know if that stuff worked well; I'll definitely try it!! Thanks for the recommendation. Naval jelly has been my best friend until now. lol

nebulosity
07-09-13, 06:28 PM
Don't you love being able to stand in the engine bay?

YES YES YES YES times a million. Especially considering even finding a place for your hand in this engine compartment fully loaded with parts is hard to manage. I could fit three of me in here!

People get a kick out of it when I pop the hood and:
A) a small block chevy looks tiny
B) I demonstrate I can stand inside there..

Haha, yup! Sometimes when I'm working inside there, I'm sitting down, and no one ever sees me in there, so when my friend walks by and I pop up, occasionally he still laughs because it's unusual for people to disappear inside engine compartments. It's not the first time I've fit myself inside an engine compartment though.. I managed to get cozy inside my friends Cherokee WITH the engine block and most of its parts still in there. See? (photo attached).

csbuckn
07-09-13, 06:59 PM
Judging by the first pic, looks like you have some different pinstripping going on on the header and hood. I've never seen a timing chain do that, only rumors.

nebulosity
07-09-13, 07:05 PM
Yep, it's got pinstripes on the hood and the sides of the body. Is it not common?

And yeah, no one else thought that it was the cam sprocket that had stripped. It was an issue that really baffled me for a long time. I hope anyone else in the future who is seeing the strange crank-no-start behavior I saw will find my post to know that it could be a stripped cam sprocket. I sure didn't find a single thing online when I spent weeks searching and asking several mechanic friends. :/ I post about everything on my project website in hopes of saving someone the confusion and time I've spent.

csbuckn
07-09-13, 07:10 PM
The pin stripe in the middle raised header part isnt stock that I know of.

nebulosity
07-09-13, 07:14 PM
Interesting. The car has been in my family since 1994, and the paint and exterior haven't been changed since then (except for a few spots I primed to prevent further rust, lol), so if it was added, it was added by the older couple who were the first owners in the '80's and early 90's. Now that I know it's not common, I'll definitely keep an eye out for similar Caddies to see what other people have. Thanks for pointing that out. :) When I restore the paint, I plan to add the same exact pin-striping that has been on it for as long as I've known the car. I'm really quite fond of it. :)

turbojimmy
07-09-13, 09:20 PM
You've come to the right place. I've dabbled in many automotive ventures over the years and have joined lots of related websites as a result. I firmly believe that the people in this forum - particularly this RWD section - are the best you will find anywhere. If you can't get help here, you can't get it anywhere.

Good luck with your project. You need to get that thing out of your friend's driveway and enjoy driving it - and let others enjoy seeing a classic on the road.

csbuckn
07-09-13, 10:29 PM
Also, once you get a factory service manual, you'll burn that haynes manual in the next bonfire. I know that thing has got to be making you mad with the lack of info. You'll be reading the service manual by the bed and on the toilet, its pretty damn cool. Every single bolt of your specific model is covered in the service manual. You will not get the car to where you want it without it.

nebulosity
07-09-13, 10:41 PM
HA! Should I be embarrassed then that I was reading such a terrible manual in bed and on the toilet? LOL Yes, it was crappy, but at least it was something. I've had to combine various resources to make up for not having a factory service manual. It looks like I can get one off Rock Auto. Is that the REAL factory service manual?

I have the emisisons chapter and the V8 engine chapter of the haynes manual practically memorized. LOL I need new reading material! Where did you get your service manual?

csbuckn
07-09-13, 11:00 PM
Ebay. I didnt see the right one on rockauto. Jayoldschool may confirm but I think it looks like this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Cadillac-OEM-Original-Paper-Chassis-Service-Shop-Manual-84-Book-/151066450303?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item232c43197f&vxp=mtr
This one looks a little different, never seen a hardcover but it might be right
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-CADILLAC-SHOP-MANUAL-ORIGINAL-SERVICE-BOOK-RARE-NR-OEM-GM-REPAIR-BOOK-/360656749409?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item53f8d14361&vxp=mtr

I think the first one is correct.

77CDV
07-09-13, 11:09 PM
:welcome: Cherie! Outstanding work to date! Definitely invest in a factory service manual off ebay. You will wonder why you waited so long.

nebulosity
07-09-13, 11:34 PM
Actually, I really LOVE that hard copy one in the first link!! For $25, I went ahead and ordered it, so even if it's not right for some reason, not much lost. I've seen the one in the second link around, and somehow I just wasn't sure about it, so I never ordered it until now. If anyone has ordered that particular copy and loves it (and it's different than the hardcover copy I bought), please let me know. I have multiple oinline subscriptions and books, so I'll get a copy of every different item I can get my hands on.

----------

:welcome: Cherie! Outstanding work to date! Definitely invest in a factory service manual off ebay. You will wonder why you waited so long.

I *just* ordered one five minutes ago. I'm gonna read this thing cover-to-cover like normal people read fiction!!! I'm SO EXCITED!! :D Thanks for the warm welcome. :)

77CDV
07-10-13, 05:15 PM
The "hardcover" version was an attempt to have a updateable version of the shop manual, so as new service info became available, the techs could remove the old pages and replace them with updated pages, thus saving the cost of printing up a whole new manual just to change three pages. Silly pre-computer days! :lol:

turbojimmy
07-10-13, 07:59 PM
I had one like that for my GN. I had to buy 3 gigantic 3-ring binders for it and the pages were stupid thin so they wore out in a hurry. Of the 3 million or so pages, only about 50 actually applied to the Turbo Regal. But it was fun thumbing through it. Someone took the time to put it all in PDF format back in the late 90s with a searchable index and table of contents. S/he must be a saint.

nebulosity
07-11-13, 03:31 AM
So today we reinstalled the steering pump pulley and the harmonic balancer (98% of the way). Without a crankshaft bolt and without any kit having the right adapter, we had to make our own installer tool from threaded rod, heavy nuts, washers, and the bearing from the harmonic balancer installer kit we bought that DIDN'T work (at least we got some kind of use out of it??).

Anyways, to get the last 6mm of the harmonic balancer pressed in, we're going to need a washer with a big center hole to allow the crankshaft to pass through as we snug it into place.

77CDV
07-11-13, 04:22 PM
Ingenious! :thumbsup:

SafariOne
07-11-13, 10:17 PM
Hey Cherie... you look pretty dirty in the pic with you under the hood. If you ever need a hand getting clean again I'm pretty handy with a bar of soap. Cheers.

csbuckn
07-11-13, 10:21 PM
^lol. While I was just thinking "Man, I wish my girl was like that", you took it to the next level.

77CDV
07-11-13, 10:30 PM
Behave yourselves, gentlemen. :tisk:

talismandave
07-11-13, 10:43 PM
Well...that didn't take long. :nono:

Great new member, who is doing wonderful work, and posting terrific project info and videos.
I would be lying to say I didn't notice how attractive she is, but can't we focus on the wonderful work and forum community involvement?
She is giving most of the guys around here a "run for their money" on the wrenches! :osnap:

Rock on Cherie!:thumbsup:

nebulosity
07-12-13, 02:15 AM
Hey Cherie... you look pretty dirty in the pic with you under the hood. If you ever need a hand getting clean again I'm pretty handy with a bar of soap. Cheers.

LOL. Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

----------

Behave yourselves, gentlemen. :tisk:

Thank you, Craig. :D Somebody's gotta help me keep these guys under control.......

----------

Well...that didn't take long. :nono:

Great new member, who is doing wonderful work, and posting terrific project info and videos.
I would be lying to say I didn't notice how attractive she is, but can't we focus on the wonderful work and forum community involvement?
She is giving most of the guys around here a "run for their money" on the wrenches! :osnap:

Rock on Cherie!:thumbsup:

Thanks, Dave. :D I love my Caddy, so I'm working hard!!! :)

jsherid1
07-12-13, 09:01 PM
Welcome to the asylum. I for one am jealous of your wrenching ability--stay at it. These cars are uniquely rewarding to drive and own and have more personality in one fender than most anything else I have ever owned (which is why my 77 has seen a lot of cars come and go next to it in the garage).

nebulosity
07-16-13, 12:09 PM
Hey guys! Just wanted to give you a quick update to keep this thread alive. :D

1. Finished putting on the crankshaft pulley assembly,
2. Put a new thermostat in and bolted the top of the thermostat housing on with gasket and RTV ( Haynes manual said "gasket sealer" and so my best guess was RTV because it's the same kind of mating surface as the water pump.)
3. Reinstalled the AC pump (had to adjust my fabricated EGR tube because it was slightly in the way)
4. Installed new belts (except for one, which I'll have to order, so I just put the old one on).

Today I'm going to:

1. Tension all the belts and
2. Start putting the radiator on.

The project is moving forward!

I ordered the shop manual, and it's out for delivery, so it'll be here today! Wee! It turns out that the seller accidentally initially sent me a shop manual for an '85 Fleetwood DeVille FWD/'84 Cimarron, but he realized it quickly and also sent out the right shop manual. The '85 manual came yesterday in the mail, and I spent some time reading through it last night, and OMG I AM IN LOVE. I cannot WAIT to see the shop manual for my Caddy!!! I can't believe that there is THIS MUCH INFO for repairs on my Caddy all in one place! I'm so excited.

I won't spam you guys with a million images, so the rest are here:
http://1984coupedeville.wordpress.com/2013/07/16/putting-the-front-of-the-engine-back-on/

jayoldschool
07-16-13, 01:48 PM
We like pics. Post them all!

Keep up the good work.

nebulosity
07-16-13, 02:51 PM
We like pics. Post them all!

Keep up the good work.

Haha, then I'll definitely post all the pics in the future. XD Thanks, Jay. :)

talismandave
07-16-13, 08:56 PM
It's looking suspiciously engine-like! :thumbsup:

:postpics:

nebulosity
07-16-13, 09:24 PM
It's looking suspiciously engine-like! :thumbsup:

That is exactly how I'm feeling. ;)

I'm taking a break from the Caddy today because I'm deliriously tired and the Caddy is 20+ miles away on a winding road, and I'm worried that I'll be too tired to drive safely home. It's not so bad since I ....

JUST GOT MY SHOP MANUAL, Wee!!!!!

OMG I don't know what to read first!!!!! ^___^ :cloud9:

talismandave
07-16-13, 09:46 PM
They are the best. I bought both computer and hard copy of both service and body manuals, even several other year's models.

I picked up the Chilton and Hayes books too, but just for the alternate drawings/photos. They are way to general to be anything but supplementary. (Although as great as you have done with one I may have to rethink my position on that!):hmm:

I will let you go get your favorite beverage and settle in for some quality time reading...:cloud9:

csbuckn
07-16-13, 10:17 PM
Start in the electrical section, you'll be there enough.

talismandave
07-16-13, 10:40 PM
Start in the electrical section, you'll be there enough.

:histeric:....but also....:crying2:

csbuckn
07-16-13, 11:25 PM
Its true. My manual is all marked up in the electrical section. Replacing parts is the easy parts, getting them to work is the hard part.

talismandave
07-16-13, 11:40 PM
I prefer...ElectricHELL...:devil:

Poda
07-17-13, 12:48 AM
I had my FSM delivered at my office, which is full of car guys. Not "real" car guys (as far as I'm concerned) since they all drive late model audis and mercs and pay people to mod their cars, but when they saw that thing arrive at my desk they took one good look and promptly sh*t their pants.. I'd been waiting for it for a week saying "I can't wait for the bible to get here", and when they saw it in all its 1000+ page splendor a couple of them promptly bowed their heads and paid respect. Literally.. It was quite the comically whimsical sight that I wished I'd caught on video.

I still randomly read mine even when the car's running right. Sitting on the coffee table as we speak although it makes its way to the bathroom more than any other book these days. GM did a good job with this stuff.. And yes, on our cars the electrical section is worth its weight in gold. And then some...

nebulosity
07-17-13, 12:54 AM
I think I'm most fascinated by the emissions system because it's the most mysterious to me. I took an electronics class in college and learned how to debug circuits, so the theory generally makes sense to me. The Caddy will be a nightmare though because my dad put an alarm system on it in the 90's, and it's caused strange behaviors in the Caddy for as long as I can remember. I also have an aftermarket stereo, so who knows what kind of work they did there. I mean, they couldn't have made that much of a strange mess, right? o_O

I love, love, love this shop manual~!!

My cat approves.

csbuckn
07-17-13, 01:21 AM
Emissions? Just the word gives me a headache. The cleanest part of my manual.

nebulosity
07-17-13, 01:33 AM
Emissions? Just the word gives me a headache. The cleanest part of my manual.

Hehe, I can definitely understand... I'm hoping that all the reading I do about it will save me from an unnecessary number of headaches. XD

Blah. I am deliriously tired and need to get some sleep so that I have lots of energy for working on the Caddy after I get off work tomorrow. :D Speaking of.... I need to find a way to measure the tension on the belts as I'm tightening them. I might need to look into getting a tool. o_O

Anyways, talk to guys later! More updates to come tomorrow. :)

Night night.

1980coupe
07-17-13, 10:01 AM
Those manuals sure do come in handy. I have ALL of mine for my 80 coupe. The service manual, advance service manual, body manual, eletrical trouble shoot manual, fold outs of wiring and vacuums, dealership albums that you would have seen at dealers, they consists of interior selection, exterior selection and merchandising guide, also have tune up charts, salesman guide (lists all options, prices and codes)
I have pratically read all of mine already. I have a lot of post its in the eletrical section, lol...

nebulosity
07-17-13, 10:51 AM
Those manuals sure do come in handy. I have ALL of mine for my 80 coupe. The service manual, advance service manual, body manual, eletrical trouble shoot manual, fold outs of wiring and vacuums, dealership albums that you would have seen at dealers, they consists of interior selection, exterior selection and merchandising guide, also have tune up charts, salesman guide (lists all options, prices and codes)
I have pratically read all of mine already. I have a lot of post its in the eletrical section, lol...

Wow!! That's incredible. I envy your collection of manuals. I'll have to check out your posts in the electrical section sometime. :)

1980coupe
07-17-13, 11:07 AM
Wow!! That's incredible. I envy your collection of manuals. I'll have to check out your posts in the electrical section sometime. :)
Sorry for not clarifying. I meant post-its in the manual, not in the electrical section of this forum. I also have the manuals for 77 and 78 Cadillac. As you can see, I own 3 Caddies, all Coupe deVilles.

turbojimmy
07-17-13, 11:23 AM
Is that Mexican Coke in the background?

cadillac kevin
07-17-13, 11:24 AM
I agree that the manuals of these cars are worth their weight in gold. I learned how to disassemble my front end, which I had no idea of how to do before. (Now if only I can get someone to help me pull the hood so I can take it apart and paint my frame and lower radiator braces/ replace my power antenna/ change my drivers inner fender and passengers outer fender.)

talismandave
07-17-13, 11:25 AM
I caught that too Jimmy!:lol:

1980coupe
07-17-13, 11:43 AM
Is that Mexican Coke in the background?
Yup that sure is. My sis in law prefers this Coke over the U.S. brand. She says it tastes better.

turbojimmy
07-17-13, 11:48 AM
Yup that sure is. My sis in law prefers this Coke over the U.S. brand. She says it tastes better.

It has real sugar rather than corn syrup. I get it once in a while, but it's expensive at the local supermarket. I have an old vending machine that only takes those bottles.

jamespowers
07-17-13, 01:34 PM
It has real sugar rather than corn syrup. I get it once in a while, but it's expensive at the local supermarket. I have an old vending machine that only takes those bottles.The local Costco out here has it once in a while. It does taste like it used to here.

nebulosity
07-17-13, 02:17 PM
Yep, we only buy mexican coke because I don't tolerate High Fructose Corn Syrup well. It makes my blood sugar crash and it really ruins my health. I found that out the hard way (long story). The mexican coke tastes better anyway. We buy a ton of it in one trip because Costco doesn't always have it in stock.

turbojimmy
07-17-13, 02:24 PM
Yep, we only buy mexican coke because I don't tolerate High Fructose Corn Syrup well. It makes my blood sugar crash and it really ruins my health. I found that out the hard way (long story). The mexican coke tastes better anyway. We buy a ton of it in one trip because Costco doesn't always have it in stock.

Ironically, I loaded the machine up this morning. The local supermarket was out of Mexicans so I had to get the smaller bottles (8 oz) US formula. At least in those I can get diet. I need to check out Sam's Club. I hear they have the Mexican Coke and Sprite.

nebulosity
07-17-13, 04:10 PM
Ironically, I loaded the machine up this morning. The local supermarket was out of Mexicans so I had to get the smaller bottles (8 oz) US formula. At least in those I can get diet. I need to check out Sam's Club. I hear they have the Mexican Coke and Sprite.

Funny enough, I don't tolerate the aspartame in Diet coke either... it's actually worse than the high fructose corn syrup. o_O I just try to stick with real ingredients and just limit my intake of them. In all reality, I shouldn't even drink the mexican coke, but as long as I have a meal with it and drink a single bottle over a couple of hours, I'm usually okay.

Anyways, sorry to everyone for derailing the conversation to coke instead of Cadillac! LOL

Speaking of, I have some good news!!

California won't charge me for all the past years registration fees for my expired Arizona plates because it's out of state!! YAY!!! Omg I was so worried that they were going to want to charge me for 7 years of California registration because my Arizona plates are expired. o_O

Today I need to find out what kind of tool I need to tension the belts properly. Does anyone have any recommendations?

----------

Two auto parts stores of mine said I don't really need a tool to measure the tension on the belts. o_O Since I've never done it before, I'm just really wishing I could measure it the first time so that I know about how tight to make it next time. *Sigh*

turbojimmy
07-17-13, 04:19 PM
Funny enough, I don't tolerate the aspartame in Diet coke either... it's actually worse than the high fructose corn syrup. o_O I just try to stick with real ingredients and just limit my intake of them. In all reality, I shouldn't even drink the mexican coke, but as long as I have a meal with it and drink a single bottle over a couple of hours, I'm usually okay.

Anyways, sorry to everyone for derailing the conversation to coke instead of Cadillac! LOL

Yeah, that was my fault. Sorry. You don't see much of the Mexican Cokes. Thought it was an interesting digression.

----------

Two auto parts stores of mine said I don't really need a tool to measure the tension on the belts. o_O Since I've never done it before, I'm just really wishing I could measure it the first time so that I know about how tight to make it next time. *Sigh*

It's more of an art. If they squeal, make them tighter. But make sure your starting point has a little give.

77CDV
07-17-13, 04:32 PM
They should be tight enough not to squeal, but loose enough to have just a *bit* of deflection when you press on them between accessory pulleys. Your shop manual looks like a fun bit of light reading! :lol:

csbuckn
07-17-13, 04:35 PM
If you dont find a tool for the tension, see how tight they are on a couple other cars, they are all about the same. They should feel pretty firm. Some say new belts should be even tighter because they will stretch out during their first heat cycle. But, the belts are going to give you problems anyway because there are so many of them and they pull from different ways on the crank pulley.

nebulosity
07-17-13, 04:43 PM
Thanks, guys!!

jamespowers
07-17-13, 07:15 PM
California won't charge me for all the past years registration fees for my expired Arizona plates because it's out of state!! YAY!!! Omg I was so worried that they were going to want to charge me for 7 years of California registration because my Arizona plates are expired. o_O

Today I need to find out what kind of tool I need to tension the belts properly. Does anyone have any recommendations?

----------

7 years?! That would have stunk. So I guess you are at the Base of about $91 a year like I am then. :p One good thing is that as long as it is out of the system in this state then you get to start all over. Make sure you tell them you didn't pay anything for it. :p

talismandave
07-17-13, 10:34 PM
California is funny that way. Here if it sits for years you don't need registration. That is why my Cadillac came w/o title. Owner had lost it. Parked car in 86 got Cal inop certificate for ten years. He owed 15 years back registration and couldn't get a replacement title without paying it!

As to Mexican Coke, I used to buy a lot of Mexican Coke....but it was the 80's, and that is another story.....

1980coupe
07-17-13, 11:10 PM
Regarding tension on belts, I believe your manual covers this. I know it does on mine. You can use a ruler. Check tension with your thumb, push in on the belt midway between pulleys and measure deflection with a ruler and compare readings with service manual

nebulosity
07-18-13, 12:47 AM
I got the belts all tensioned, just by feel. I had two people check them for me and they said it seems okay, and that I'll be adjusting them again later anyway because they're new.

And guess who started (FINALLY) putting the radiator back on??? MEEEEEE.

I still have to tighten the ring clamps and the nuts on all the hoses and pipes, and connect the lower radiator hose. It looks like I somehow misplaced a ring clamp or two. o_O I'll have to get some at the auto store next time I'm there.

And omg, I realized today that my collection of screws and nuts that are left to be bolted back into place have reduced themselves to one (magnetic) bowl. This is just TOO WIERD.... It's a sign I'm getting close to finishing putting everything back together, and it's a little surreal for me...

csbuckn
07-18-13, 01:08 AM
How long has the car been down?

nebulosity
07-18-13, 01:21 AM
How long has the car been down?

For the repairs I'm doing? Or how long since I last drove it?

I stopped driving it in 2005.

I started doing the repairs last August. So I've been working on it (on and off) for a year. It's 30 miles away from my apartment at a friends house, and with other life complications, 60 hour work weeks, it's been slow going. :/

I've been looking at the engine of this car relatively bare for the last year, so to see it with the components on the front, with the belts and the radiator in, it's all so strange. I recognize this engine compartment better when lots of things removed from it, and seeing it with it's components is foreign. lol

csbuckn
07-18-13, 01:45 AM
I'd connect the lower radiator hose and pour coolant into the thermastat housing to fill the engine block. Keeping the engine block cool and gunk free is key to that engine.

turbojimmy
07-18-13, 07:15 AM
If it hasn't run since 2005 I would also make sure it actually turns over before you put too much more work into it.

On another note, how I wish my AC compressor was sitting on top of the engine. I get to do that job again today or tomorrow on the LT1.

Poda
07-18-13, 11:54 AM
Jimmy - I hear ya, I have been putting mine off deluding myself into thinking "Windows down is good enough". No it's not. Not with the heatwave we've got right now where even the breeze at 60mph is hot and muggy. But it's frankly too hot to be spending a couple of hours under the car too, so it's on the "to do when the car comes off the road this winter" list. I'll make do with sticking to the seats for now. I hear it's not that bad if you have wobble extensions and take your time though.

Cherie - Lookin' good! Getting there :)

cadillac kevin
07-18-13, 12:01 PM
If it hasn't run since 2005 I would also make sure it actually turns over before you put too much more work into it.

On another note, how I wish my AC compressor was sitting on top of the engine. I get to do that job again today or tomorrow on the LT1.

I'd also put some marvel mystery oil or WD40 in the cylinders prior to turning it over.

turbojimmy
07-18-13, 12:57 PM
I hear it's not that bad if you have wobble extensions and take your time though.

I relieved what little "pressure" (read: refrigerant) was left in the system this morning. It had bled down to where the compressor wouldn't run anymore. I'll probably crawl under it later today once the sun swings away from the blacktop. A series of extensions with a universal does work, but it's such a pain in the butt. The universal flops around, extensions come apart. Oh what fun. I'm headed to the Jersey Shore this weekend and really want to take the limo, but it has to have a/c.

nebulosity
07-18-13, 01:50 PM

Well I have to at least get coolant in it, right? The car attempted to start just fine, but because the timing was all messed up before, it wouldn't actually start. Power to the car was great, and the starter motor seemed great. I had oiled the cylinders a little bit with Marvel mystery oil a while back. I can do that again too if necessary.

----------

I'd also put some marvel mystery oil or WD40 in the cylinders prior to turning it over.

Yep, already did that. :) I can probably add a little more since it's been a year since I did that though.

turbojimmy
07-18-13, 01:53 PM
Well I have to at least get coolant in it, right?

Not to see if it will crank over, and it sounds like it does. That's 90% of the battle right there on a car that's been sitting so long. You're well on your way.

csbuckn
07-18-13, 02:30 PM
It turns over fine. I saw the video of it turning with the chain slipping and you lined up the timing marks a couple times.

nebulosity
07-18-13, 02:35 PM
Not to see if it will crank over, and it sounds like it does. That's 90% of the battle right there on a car that's been sitting so long. You're well on your way.

Hm.... maybe I'll try to hook the distributor back up and time everything and see if I can start the car then... :o

turbojimmy
07-18-13, 02:38 PM
Hm.... maybe I'll try to hook the distributor back up and time everything and see if I can start the car then... :o

I would. Just don't let it run for long. Coolant also has a lubricant in it. Just long enough to see if it fires.

nebulosity
07-19-13, 01:49 AM
So I tightened down all the radiator connections and started to fill it with engine coolant. I'm going to need to get another gallon.

Strangely I feel like we got a lot of stuff done, but we really didn't. I wanted to hook everything up on the distributor, but when I checked the distributor hole before seating the distributor, there was a lot of black crap that looked like RTV laying at the bottom of the hole. I asked my husband to help me fish out the crap. It looks like someone RTV'd the distributor into the hole. o_O Is that a common practice?

I asked my husband to make me a board to sit across the top of the engine while I put the distributor and plug wires back on. Much easier to work on the top of the engine that way. Saves your back and shoulders.

Anyways, I'm super tired. Gonna get some sleep.

jsherid1
07-19-13, 12:11 PM
The presence of RTV does sound odd unless the distributor and and head are different materials and someone was trying to prevent galvanic action--but then I am not an engineer nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn last night (it was the Renaissance in Nashville which was nice but has not had any, much needed, positive impact on my cognitive abilities).

Keep at it. I love threads like this where cars get a second chance thanks to determined owners who appreciate them.

nebulosity
07-19-13, 02:32 PM
The presence of RTV does sound odd unless the distributor and and head are different materials and someone was trying to prevent galvanic action. . .

I think the intake manifold and shaft of the distributor base are both made of steel. What's even more weird is that I don't remember there being any washers when I pulled it out. Apparently there is supposed to be a thrust washer? o_O

This is why I don't like other mechanics working on my car... I've found parts missing more than once..

csbuckn
07-19-13, 02:40 PM
If its a metal washer, you may want to find one. Without it, the dizzy gears may not line up with the cam gear that good. I dont know if its that important but worth looking into. Might be the cause of the chain messing up in the first place if the out-of-aligned gears cause a lot of drag. Might not be nothing but maybe something.

nebulosity
07-19-13, 02:45 PM
If its a metal washer, you may want to find one. Without it, the dizzy gears may not line up with the cam gear that good. I dont know if its that important but worth looking into. Might be the cause of the chain messing up in the first place if the out-of-aligned gears cause a lot of drag. Might not be nothing but maybe something.

Good idea! Will do. Thanks! :)

nebulosity
07-20-13, 11:59 PM
Got a little closer today. I am really super-duper tired, so we'll see how detailed this update ends up being. z___Z

I re-hooked up the throttle linkage. For some reason that funny little plastic piston thing is not sitting straight, and I can't figure out why. o_O

As part of the throttle linkage, I reconnected this spring...

When I took off the valve covers a while back, I (obviously) had to take off it's little metal tab (i.e. vaccuum pipe bracket) . I accidentally put the tab on the middle valve cover screw hole, instead of the one nearest the front and put it in its proper place. I really tortured myself over this one because the spring is stretched a lot to hook it to the tab when mounted with the front valve cover screw, but there really is no way else to put it. Ah well. Unless you guys see anything blatantly wrong in the above photo, I'm calling it good.

For the record, I fracking hate these crow's foot wrenches. They're too thick and too wide on the sides -- COMPLETELY useless!! I **WILL** MAKE MY OWN crows feet when I finally get the money and space for a machine shop of my own. -_- .. probably with a bunch of other tools I've wanted to make during this whole <strike>ridiculous</strike> project.

Put a new rotor in the distributor because the stupid dinky old one broke where the metal tab mounts. :annoyed:

By the end of the day, I wasn't really that much farther along. This slow-going progress thing is really getting old. I spent most of the day fishing out nuts and bolts I dropped on top of the engine in impossible to reach places.

nebulosity
07-21-13, 12:02 AM
I also spent some time looking at what I could gain from taking the front of the car off for putting the Caddy in the garage (related:http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/rwd-19xx-1984-deville-fleetwood-1985/331018-front-rear-bumper-removal.html ), and what kinds of things need to be unfastened to do so. Yes, that's right ppl. I think I'm just going to take off the front grill and surrounding parts up to the radiator.

Bumper removal experiment will happen AFTER I get the Caddy started and BEFORE it makes its 25 mile journey to my apartment in San Jose.

Jayoldschool basically gave me permission to spam you guys with a million photos, so blame him for the spammage. ;D

cadillaccruiser703
07-21-13, 11:04 AM
awesome keep posting the updates

nebulosity
07-21-13, 11:49 AM
awesome keep posting the updates

Thanks. :) Will do!

nebulosity
07-22-13, 01:35 AM
Today:

1. Checked the vacuum lines and electrical connectors to make sure everything is hooked up.

2. Changed the oil

3. Tried to siphon old fuel (there was none left), and added 2 gallons of new fuel.

4. Checked for leaks. (There was one at the thermostat, but my husband tightened down the hose for me and it stopped leaking).

If you wanna hear me be ridiculous and yack about the leak...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sX_V27FgN4

5. Topped off the engine coolant.

6. Hooked up distributor and plug wires. The "me" of 6 months ago was smart enough to put numbers on the wires near the boots on the distributor end -- WIN! :dance:

7. Hooked up the battery.

8. Tried to start the engine. No fuel coming out of fuel injectors. Will try a few things tomorrow and go through the usual "does it have fuel?" "does it have spark?" etc debug path and see if we can sort out any issues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqE9WHRgDj4

I'm sore and tired. Whine, whine, whine. lol. That's all I have energy to write tonight.

csbuckn
07-22-13, 01:53 AM
Listen for the fuel pump to come on, press the fuel schrader valve and see if any fuel comes out, get fancy with a DVOM and see if the injectors are getting a signal, the alarm might be cutting fuel, fuses not all good. Just random thoughts for your next trip.

lacville78
07-22-13, 03:23 AM
+1 for alarm, that thing drove me nuts on the 88 Brougham I had.

Cadillacboy
07-22-13, 04:07 PM
No need to whine, just drink some wine to pick up some energy lol

nebulosity
07-22-13, 05:17 PM
Part of me is terrified I won't be able to get my Caddy running. :( I mean, this isn't rocket science, but sometimes I start to get paranoid and feel like it is. Every once in a while I have moments like this.

I go to work on the caddy after I get off work in a few hours. Let's see what I can do.

cadillaccruiser703
07-22-13, 05:19 PM
clogged fuel filter?...spray some starter fluid and see if it starts up with that. being that no fuel in lines for so long may need a boost for fuel

nebulosity
07-22-13, 05:35 PM
clogged fuel filter?...spray some starter fluid and see if it starts up with that. being that no fuel in lines for so long may need a boost for fuel

I just replaced the fuel filter, and I sprayed some carburator cleaner in the throttle body yesterday to give it a boost, but it didn't seem to help. Today I'm going to make sure that the throttle body is getting fuel, probably by doing something silly and primitive like loosening the fuel lines while my husband cranks the engine over. After I had replaced the fuel pump a year ago, I forgot to tighten them down, and fuel came out generously, so I know that the fuel pump *should* work, and that if it's working, there will be fuel in the lines to the throttle body. The car is also on a *slight* incline, so we'll probably hook it up to the Xterra and pull it onto more level pavement in case the 2 gallons of fuel I added yesterday is sitting at the back of the fuel tank or something (but it shouldn't because the incline is honestly negligible).

If I verify that there is fuel at the throttle body and not coming out the injectors, I'll go through a debug process and see if I can figure out why no fuel is coming out the injectors. Like I said somewhere above, I recently rebuilt the throttle body and replaced the fuel pump and visually verified that the injectors and pump work. Actually, I have a video.. you can see it too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzebUC49DIk#t=1m57s

After I make sure that I'm getting fuel properly and the injectors are spraying, I also need to make sure i'm getting spark. This is the time I really wish I had spark plug wires that would light up when electricity is passing through them... Now I'm trying to conjure up all sorts of crazy ideas about how to hook up an LED to the plug wires.... LOL I just hate hooking and unhooking the plug wires to check for spark on this particular engine. :/

Anyways, I'm going through and writing up a plan for today. i'll post an update later. :)

lacville78
07-22-13, 07:02 PM
All you gotta do is listen for the pump when someone turns the key on, not cranking, just turning the key to the on position. The fuel pump should make some noise for a couple of seconds, you can cycle the key off and on to test.
Also you can rent some "Noid lights" to test if there is power at the injectors. This is such a simple set up, no way you won't figure it out.
Also no big deal testing for spark, just pull one plug wire and have someone crank it over, you don't have to check them all.

Keep up the good work!

nebulosity
07-23-13, 12:10 AM
All you gotta do is listen for the pump when someone turns the key on, not cranking, just turning the key to the on position. The fuel pump should make some noise for a couple of seconds, you can cycle the key off and on to test.
Also you can rent some "Noid lights" to test if there is power at the injectors. This is such a simple set up, no way you won't figure it out.
Also no big deal testing for spark, just pull one plug wire and have someone crank it over, you don't have to check them all.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the suggestions! When I installed the fuel pump initially, I went back there to listen for it when my husband cranked the engine, and I couldn't hear it. I have problems hearing in general, so it could be just my hearing. Maybe I'll have a friend listen for the fuel pump.

Noid lights? I'll have to read up on those -- I haven't heard of them before. :)

Thanks again!

lacville78
07-23-13, 12:44 AM
You can get them at autozone or O'reillys pretty much any parts store, you give them a deposit and when you bring them back you get your money, so they are free to use.
You hook them up to the injector wires to test for voltage causing the injectors to shoot gas.

nebulosity
07-23-13, 08:50 PM
On our way to try to start the Caddy...Wish us luck!! We need all the positive energy we can get!!!

nebulosity
07-24-13, 01:47 AM
We are getting spark...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEJvL98jzAo

But still no fuel to the throttle body. Caddy has a new fuel filter, there is 6 gal of premium fuel in the tank, fuel pump relay is working, but fuel pump doesn't seem to be turning on (I've never been able to hear it, even when it's working, so maybe it's working and I just can't hear it). The fuel pump worked WELL when I last cranked the engine in August 2012, possibly as late as October 2012, but it has sat unused since. The fuel pump may have something wrong with it. We're going to check the fuel lines for fuel between the tank and fuel filter, and we may drop the tank. I already called two of my favorite auto stores to make sure they'll have a fuel pump in stock in case we decide to replace it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm6bWUkfKXg

To me atleast, I think I hear a couple fires like it's trying to start up. Let me know what you guys think.

The reason why it's probably not starting with the starter fluid is I'm not confident about the initial timing setup. When we reinstalled the harmonic balancer, the crankshaft was rotated slightly away from cylinder #1 TDC, perhaps as much as 1/8 of a turn. I looks like I'll have to pull the distributor, rotate the engine exactly to cyl1 TDC and put the distributor back in.

Somehow I feel satisfied even though I didn't get it started today. I'm going first think in the morning (ditching work a bit, lol) to try to get this work done on the Caddy.

77CDV
07-24-13, 01:53 AM
It sounds like it almost caught a time or two. I think you may be on to something about the timing.

nebulosity
07-24-13, 02:56 AM
It sounds like it almost caught a time or two. I think you may be on to something about the timing.

I'm glad you heard it too!! For a moment while I was cranking it, I kept thinking in disbelief, "wait, is it gonna start??!?!" So I need to sort out the timing issue and the fuel delivery issue. It sounds like if I resolve those that IT CAN START! :D

I'm so excited. I'll keep you guys updated.

----------

Oh, btw, we tested the stereo in the Caddy. :) Definitely need to do more testing, lol. Gonna bring another CD tomorrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XshXOYExJb0

turbojimmy
07-24-13, 03:00 PM
It's trying to fire, but it sounds like your timing is off. You can hear once in a while it will fire and fight the starter. It's firing at the wrong time.

jamespowers
07-24-13, 07:43 PM
I'm glad you heard it too!! For a moment while I was cranking it, I kept thinking in disbelief, "wait, is it gonna start??!?!" So I need to sort out the timing issue and the fuel delivery issue. It sounds like if I resolve those that IT CAN START! :D

I'm so excited. I'll keep you guys updated.

----------

Oh, btw, we tested the stereo in the Caddy. :) Definitely need to do more testing, lol. Gonna bring another CD tomorrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XshXOYExJb0Better than no sound from the stereo at all. :p

nebulosity
07-24-13, 09:27 PM
Good news ppl! I have fuel to the throttle body again, yay!! Long story short I replaced the fuel pump. Dropped the tank by myself with 6 gal of gas still in it, tossed on the new pump, put it back in jacked it up and put the straps back on, all in about an hour and a half. :D 70% of that time was spent unscrewig the bolts on the stupid straps and making sure the tank didnt shift on the jack while I took them off. >_< Anyways, more info later.

nebulosity
07-25-13, 12:27 AM
The spray from the fuel injectors is weak, so I doubt you'll be able to see it in the video, but here is the video I took anyway. :P It was great to have fuel in the throttle body again. My only guess is that in cranking it last fall to check the valve train movement, I ran the pump dry, but at the same time I remember taking out the fuel pump relay ( so that I could watch the valve train without spraying fuel everywhere. LOL It's either that I ran it dry and burnt it out or sitting for 8months unused killed it (...really though?), OR perhaps it had a manufacturer defect, and lastly, I'm hoping electrical problems are not to blame for it burning out. When we pulled out the fuel pump, I checked my soldering job from the last time I adapted the wiring harness to the new wires, and everything was beautifully perfect and intact. Yay! So hopefully no worries about my workmanship.

No firing sounds in this particular video. We'll fix the timing for sure tomorrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7QJfemhnGA

Oh, and have a picture of my Caddy from today. :) My husband was trying to help me unscrew the fuel filter, and then for some reason beyond me, he decided to keep trying until he stripped the shit out of the fuel filter nut. Brilliant. Note to self.. just do your own Caddy work.

cadillaccruiser703
07-25-13, 08:06 AM
wow very solid looking car

nebulosity
07-25-13, 01:01 PM
wow very solid looking car

It's my baby. <3 <3 I love this car so much.

mitch2264
07-25-13, 03:53 PM
Great project--have enjoyed keeping up with this thread! I wonder if the fuel pump going out could be attributed to the ethanol most areas now have in gas. I keep hearing all sorts of horror stories about how it effects things when it sits. Just a thought.

Keep up the good work and thanks for the thread! I love the older RWD Cadillacs--yours looks good!

Mitch

nebulosity
07-25-13, 04:09 PM
Great project--have enjoyed keeping up with this thread! I wonder if the fuel pump going out could be attributed to the ethanol most areas now have in gas. I keep hearing all sorts of horror stories about how it effects things when it sits. Just a thought.

Keep up the good work and thanks for the thread! I love the older RWD Cadillacs--yours looks good!

Mitch

Thanks, Mitch! :D

1980coupe
07-25-13, 06:00 PM
Good looking caddy. I need to start my own thread here.

jamespowers
07-25-13, 06:00 PM
It's my baby. <3 <3 I love this car so much.

The suspense is killing me. I want to hear that thing run. :p
When you post a video of it cranking over and running, I am probably going to be just as happy as you. :p

csbuckn
07-25-13, 06:07 PM
One thing you could try is to hold the throttle wide open while cranking. Most cars have a feature that turns off the fuel injectors when you do it. Works good when you have a probability of a flooded engine. Looking at the video, I'd bet you might get more response if you did it.

nebulosity
07-25-13, 08:26 PM
Oh noooooooo... I'm catching a cold!!!! :( :( I can't go over and reset the timing the caddy tonight. I don't feel well at all. ;______; I'm going to try to talk my sales manager into letting me trade working tonight for leaving early tomorrow so I can go work on the Caddy.

I think in trying to get the caddy up and running in such a short amount of time, I've overworked myself. @__@

Anybody got any miracle cures?! I need to get this Caddy running!

csbuckn
07-25-13, 08:36 PM
Actually it should start normally once you get it timed right. Probably save that trick for when its flooded.

cadillaccruiser703
07-27-13, 11:03 AM
Any luck with the progress?

nebulosity
07-27-13, 12:25 PM
Any luck with the progress?

Last night we corrected the timing...

1. Set the #1 cylinder to TDC first trying the finger method (but that was difficult), and then we used a screwdriver, and that finally worked well.

2. Took off the distributor cap and saw that the rotor was two positions off, so we pulled the distributor base out, put the rotor where it's supposed to be (#1), and put it back in.

The temperature dropped really quickly last night and fog rolled in, so we just put everything back together, and we're going to go back today to try to fire it up.

I've been living off dayquil (and nyquil at night) trying to survive these last few days working on my Caddy with this cold. :(

nebulosity
07-27-13, 05:33 PM
Omg the caddy ____almost____ started!!!

----------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq0MmMezmXs

----------

Still tryin'...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEgPXuODqj4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbs3_G8yO10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzXEHHfLGME

----------

it started!!!!!!!!!!!

----------

it's alive!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-xQXpH9b7Q

jamespowers
07-27-13, 05:49 PM
Yeah! I was rooting for you the whole way and when it started I nearly fell off the chair clapping! Woo Hoo! You did it! Good job! Did you run it around the neighborhood? :p

talismandave
07-27-13, 05:50 PM
You had me on the edge of my seat leaning forward! More suspenseful that an episode of Dexter!:killer:

Way to go!!!!:thumbsup:

cadillaccruiser703
07-27-13, 06:14 PM
Awesme way cool....cant wait to get mine started next. Congrats, enjoy cruisin that beauty

nebulosity
07-27-13, 07:47 PM
Yeah! I was rooting for you the whole way and when it started I nearly fell off the chair clapping! Woo Hoo! You did it! Good job! Did you run it around the neighborhood? :p

Can't run it around the neighborhood just yet... it needs a temporary pass because it's plates are out of state and expired in '06. :x

----------

Awesme way cool....cant wait to get mine started next. Congrats, enjoy cruisin that beauty

Thanks! Wishing you lots of luck on yours! :)

----------

Haven't yet timed it with the timing light, but it's running pretty well so far!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yaRg_bAKT4

jamespowers
07-27-13, 07:59 PM
Can't run it around the neighborhood just yet... it needs a temporary pass because it's plates are out of state and expired in '06. :x[COLOR="Silver"]

I admire your restraint. I would be lighting up the tires if it were me. :p I would call it a "shake out run" though. We have to be technical about it. :p

nebulosity
07-27-13, 11:04 PM
CHECK IT OUT!! Driving my car for the first time in about TEN YEARS!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzhQkGhaHHg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp2ejnqPP9E

csbuckn
07-28-13, 12:24 AM
Looking good. Did you change the oil? You get an even better idea of how big it is when you're driving it and you realize there is 7 feet of car in front of you.

1980coupe
07-28-13, 01:05 AM
Congrats...:)
Why does it sound like it has a knock?

nebulosity
07-28-13, 06:36 AM
Looking good. Did you change the oil? You get an even better idea of how big it is when you're driving it and you realize there is 7 feet of car in front of you.

Yep. Changed the oil. It may need another half a quart. I'll check in the morning.

----------

Congrats...:)
Why does it sound like it has a knock?

It probably does. I'll add a little more oil to it in the morning and start working on getting it running more smoothly. :)

talismandave
07-28-13, 08:40 AM
Beautiful sight. These old Cadillacs are majestic beasts in motion. Nothing stirs my heart like seeing a long dormant classic taking it's first step to the restoration they deserve.

I applaud you as a mechanic, and as a collector/enthusiast. Like all of us you will never see a financial gain from all the love you pour into your car, but will be rewarded every time you pull into a store or gas station (...more likely since it will be often!) with the comments and compliments of admirers.

csbuckn
07-28-13, 10:12 AM
Just take it on the highway when you get a chance, that will probably get that lazy lifter working good.

jamespowers
07-28-13, 01:28 PM
Just take it on the highway when you get a chance, that will probably get that lazy lifter working good.

I was thinking that as well. :yup:

turbojimmy
07-28-13, 02:31 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking that tap will clear itself up over time.

When I brought my '94 home, I had no idea how long it had been sitting in that guy's front yard. It ran and stopped like crap. I put fresh gas in it, said a little prayer, and started on my 2-hour journey home. There were times early on where I was sure it wasn't going to make it, but by the time I got to the end of my journey it was running like a new car. It's amazing how they respond to a bit of attention.

jamespowers
07-28-13, 05:11 PM

When I brought my '94 home, I had no idea how long it had been sitting in that guy's front yard. It ran and stopped like crap. I put fresh gas in it, said a little prayer, and started on my 2-hour journey home. There were times early on where I was sure it wasn't going to make it, but by the time I got to the end of my journey it was running like a new car. It's amazing how they respond to a bit of attention.

Yes, neglect causes things like that. When you heat the engine up good then everything homogenizes again. Then you change all the fluids and get all the old crap out at once. :p

amunderdog
07-28-13, 05:19 PM

Yes, neglect causes things like that. When you heat the engine up good then everything homogenizes again. Then you change all the fluids and get all the old crap out at once. :p

An old mechanics trick for lifters and other things that need cleaned out in there.
Just before you change the fluids dump about a half a quart of trans fluid into the oil.
Run it a bit; maybe 100mi then change the oil.

jamespowers
07-28-13, 07:20 PM
An old mechanics trick for lifters and other things that need cleaned out in there.
Just before you change the fluids dump about a half a quart of trans fluid into the oil.

I have tried a full quart of type F in the oil and that works. An old mechanic told me that one. Replace one quart of oil with one quart of the Type F stuff.

nebulosity
07-29-13, 02:17 AM
I have tried a full quart of type F in the oil and that works. An old mechanic told me that one. Replace one quart of oil with one quart of the Type F stuff.

I've never heard of Type F... what is it?

----------

I changed the oil already (last week), and I have to have it registered before I can run it 100miles, so I'll have to wait a bit before I can do this little trick. Thanks!

----------

Wow! First start up after sitting and then you took it on a 2-hour trip home? You're Brave!! Even knowing my Caddy's history, I'd be afraid to do that. Good to know they hold up though!! Gives me hope. :D

turbojimmy
07-29-13, 06:48 AM
Wow! First start up after sitting and then you took it on a 2-hour trip home? You're Brave!! Even knowing my Caddy's history, I'd be afraid to do that. Good to know they hold up though!! Gives me hope. :D

Yeah, it was the weirdest experience. I found the car on eBay but it had sold. Called the guy and he said the person that bought it didn't have the money so he was going to re-list it. He said if I brought him cash, I could have it. I grabbed the tags off of my old limo and headed for Connecticut (yes, it's illegal but they're both black Fleetwoods, who's to know?). I got out there and the thing was down a steep driveway parked in the front yard. The air shocks weren't working so the back was sitting on the ground. He had washed it, but that's about it. He just sat on the front porch while I looked at it. We negotiated a price, I paid him and called me insurance company to add it. I asked him if it would make the 2.5 hour trip back to NJ. He just looked at me and shrugged. Great. It was mostly highway and whatever was wrong with it wouldn't allow it to go above like 50. It had no power going up the hills and was billowing black smoke. The Service Engine Soon light was on. But, as the trip went on it cleaned itself up and the SES light eventually went out. I haven't had to do a thing to the engine since I bought it except change the oil.

I think yours will react similarly once you get it on the road.

Type F is Ford's transmission fluid. Trans fluid has detergents in it that supposedly clean the innards of the engine of deposits. The guy that built my GN engines had me put a quart of trans fluid in the new engines for the first 100 miles. Not sure why. It might free up that lifter, or it might free up on its own. They get stuck in the collapsed position sometimes when they sit. Eventually it might pop open at operating temps and after it's run for a while. Or it may always have a tap - if it runs okay who cares?

mitch2264
07-29-13, 10:41 AM
Yay!!! Good for you guys!! I know that was certainly a grin inducing moment :D . I know I did!

jamespowers
07-29-13, 11:42 AM
I've never heard of Type F... what is it?[COLOR="Silver"]

Type F transmission fluid. It was for old powerglide transmissions back in the 50s. :D

nebulosity
07-29-13, 12:17 PM
Jimmy: Oh, to clean the gunk out of the engine? For that I love Seafoam. Haveyou tried it? If so, how does it compare to putting the type F stuff? When i put seafoam in my miata, it felt like i gained power back from it after all the gunk burned off. that in combination with changing to royal purple <3-- cars really are my kids, man. lol)

jamespowers
07-29-13, 12:45 PM
Jimmy: Oh, to clean the gunk out of the engine? For that I love Seafoam. Haveyou tried it? If so, how does it compare to putting the type F stuff? When i put seafoam in my miata, it felt like i gained power back from it after all the gunk burned off. that in combination with changing to royal purple <3-- cars really are my kids, man. lol)

Yes, it cleans gunk out of the engine well enough. You have heard of detergent gasoline? Well this makes your oil detergent oil. :p
Seafoam is ok too. I have only used it in the gas tank though.
Royal Purple I use in my Brougham as well. Some say that it keeps the engine too clean inside and can make leaks worse but I have never had it make leaks worse for me. :hide: I wouldn't use the Type F with synthetic oil though. I know it is supposed to mix and all but synthetic can be cleaning enough. :p

nebulosity
07-29-13, 02:08 PM
Got my moving permit to get its emissions tested! So far so good.... crossing fingers......

jamespowers
07-29-13, 02:47 PM
Got my moving permit to get its emissions tested! So far so good.... crossing fingers......

Make sure you warm it up good before taking it in. Also leave the heat on full blast. :p It can't hurt. :p

nebulosity
07-29-13, 02:51 PM
Make sure you warm it up good before taking it in. Also leave the heat on full blast. :p It can't hurt. :p

I definitely plan on that! :)

nebulosity
07-30-13, 03:51 PM
Stranded! :( Waiting for a tow truck. Caddy backfired a lot and overheated on the highway. Sadly blew the rockar arm cover gasket i just put in. Not sure how that happened.

lacville78
07-30-13, 04:14 PM
That sucks, Wonder what happened to it.

nebulosity
07-30-13, 04:19 PM

Huh? "Scratched out the 20"? what are you talkig about?

lacville78
07-30-13, 04:21 PM
Huh? "Scratched out the 20"? what are you talkig about?
Oh, I was talking about your trip permit, then posted, but then noticed the trouble, Sorry about that.

nebulosity
07-30-13, 04:29 PM

Im wondering if the engine was getting enough airflow and whether he transmission was shifting when it was supposed to.

turbojimmy
07-30-13, 04:43 PM
Stranded! :( Waiting for a tow truck. Caddy backfired a lot and overheated on the highway. Sadly blew the rockar arm cover gasket i just put in. Not sure how that happened.

Not a good sign. Shouldn't be any pressure there.

lacville78
07-30-13, 04:43 PM
Now I am worried, how hot did it get? Did it start continue to run for a bit after you turned the key off?
HT4100 + Overheating = Trouble!

When you get it back home pull all the spark plugs, and rent a compression tester (free), and run a compression test, and check the condition of the oil.
I hate to be a pessimist, but it would be best to rule out headgasket issues right away.

nebulosity
07-30-13, 06:10 PM
Not a good sign. Shouldn't be any pressure there.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. :(

----------

Now I am worried, how hot did it get? Did it start continue to run for a bit after you turned the key off?
HT4100 + Overheating = Trouble!

On the straight-a-ways the engine temp was hovering at about 94C and seemed fine. When we started to climb a couple hills, I got a bunch of backfiring, and a loss of power, at that point it was around 105C, and I was worried because that's above boiling temp of water (although it's only 50% water, 50% ethylene glycol). I had to drive about a minute to pull over in a safe spot (Hwy 17 is nasty and narrow), and when I turned off the engine, the temp was reading 114C. After turning the engine off, it was dieseling for about 1 or 2 seconds. :(

When you get it back home pull all the spark plugs, and rent a compression tester (free), and run a compression test, and check the condition of the oil.
I hate to be a pessimist, but it would be best to rule out headgasket issues right away.

We dropped the car off at a good local shop. It'll be nice to have a fresh pair of eyes check the car over. And I get a small break. I love car work, but man I busted my butt for the last 30 days and I'm exhausted. It feels good to put the Caddy in someone else's hands for a day.

Oh, I'm sure my previous compression readings are irrelevant now, but compression was decent in all cylinders except #5, which was a bit low. Hopefully I stopped the car before any major damage was done. Regardless though, I'm sure some about of damage has been done because it's not good for cars to overheat even once. :(

cadillaccruiser703
07-30-13, 10:26 PM
Oh man that sounds horrible hope the cad turns out ok

nebulosity
07-30-13, 10:50 PM
Oh man that sounds horrible hope the cad turns out ok

Thanks, I hope so too. :/

1980coupe
07-30-13, 11:05 PM
No bueno...
Have you thought of maybe swapping engines out, so you won't experience any more problems done the road?

nebulosity
07-30-13, 11:13 PM
No bueno...
Have you thought of maybe swapping engines out, so you won't experience any more problems done the road?

That was my FIRST plan back in early 2012, but California makes it REALLY hard to do engine swaps, and I don't have the extra money to gamble on that kind of thing. :( I'm hoping someday I'll find out exactly what I would be allowed to put in it (besides a rebuilt ht4100), and finally do a swap on it. I heard wiring harness conversions are part of the trouble too.

Trust me, I'd really like something else in that engine compartment. ;)

lacville78
07-30-13, 11:22 PM
Another concern I have is the condition of the transmission, you mentioned the car not shifting properly, and now there is overheating to consider.
When the engine gets hot, the transmission does as well. Make sure to check the state of the transmission fluid.

nebulosity
07-30-13, 11:28 PM
Another concern I have is the condition of the transmission, you mentioned the car not shifting properly, and now there is overheating to consider.
When the engine gets hot, the transmission does as well. Make sure to check the state of the transmission fluid.

Will do. It may not be the transmission's fault... it seems that the engine didn't have enough power, and as a result, it kept the transmission in a lower gear to get torque (staying down shifted). The reason I say this is because as soon as I let off the throttle, the engine would go to shift to a higher gear. The fastest I could go was 30-35mph, but it was really working hard to be there, and towards the end, I could only hold it at 20mph. :(

Btw, this was while climbing a hill.

nebulosity
07-31-13, 12:37 PM
UPDATE:

Okay, so....... the shop calls me:

Guy: "The Cadillac is done and ready for pickup."
Me: "What? It's done? You fixed it?" o____O
Guy: "Yep."
Me: "What was wrong?"

Guy said something about there being a leak around the heater hose/heater core, and that coolant was leaking into (somewhere?) and then getting onto the exhaust manifold, which is why it was giving off white smoke. There was a part where the heater hose connects to that was cracked? And they managed to trim off that part and put the hose back on? And that the only other option would be to replace the heater core, but they don't really think it's all that necessary especially considering that's expensive?

Basically it comes down to the fact that coolant wasn't circulating as it should, which was causing the overheating.

I really don't think I caught the explanation right because the heater hose is on the passenger side running from the radiator to the firewall, and the side of the engine that seemed to be emitting the white smoke was on the drivers side near the exhaust manifold.

I'll have to hear it again when I get to the shop.

In the mean time I'm going to read up on the heater core/heater hose part of the system and see if I can make sense of what I remember from the explanation.

They said my head gasket is fine. o_O That's good news.

This is all just a bit weird.

Also, what I need to do is make sure the caddy can climb the hills of HWY 17 so that I can get back to San Jose.... my husband says it SHOULD be able to do a solid 50mph on those hills if it's running properly.

Let me know if you have any particular thoughts about this.

outsider
07-31-13, 02:00 PM
never heard of a leaking heater core causing a car to backfire and/or this "Sadly blew the rockar arm cover gasket i just put in"

It would also have to be a big leak to cause the car to overheat I'd think...even with a plugged up heater core the car usually runs fine.

csbuckn
07-31-13, 03:30 PM
If the valve cover gasket really blew out because of pressure then you need to check your crankcase vent or pcv valve because it will blow other seals like the front and rear mains and that would be a pain. I'm not sure if Jay made it a sticky but I did a thread on how to replace the heater core, pretty straight forward. I'm noticing that these 4100s aren't as fragile as I've been hearing. Not sure if I've noticed a member here that's had a running 4100 say that it blew on them.

nebulosity
07-31-13, 03:46 PM
never heard of a leaking heater core causing a car to backfire and/or this "Sadly blew the rockar arm cover gasket i just put in"

True. I have to remember that the blown gasket problem still hasn't been resolved.

It would also have to be a big leak to cause the car to overheat I'd think...even with a plugged up heater core the car usually runs fine.

Could the hills have compounded the problem? The engine sure had to stay revving high just to keep 20mph on those hills. It seems to me that there was so much back pressure on the engine that maybe that's what blew the valve cover gasket. Then the question becomes: why is so much back pressure accumulating? My PCV valve is new, and I checked the vacuum system (in a basic way), so I would expect everything is running normally there. o_O

----------

If the valve cover gasket really blew out because of pressure then you need to check your crankcase vent or pcv valve because it will blow other seals like the front and rear mains and that would be a pain.

PCV valve is new. What do I look for when I inspect the crankcase? Problems with the seal?

I'm not sure if Jay made it a sticky but I did a thread on how to replace the heater core, pretty straight forward. I'm noticing that these 4100s aren't as fragile as I've been hearing. Not sure if I've noticed a member here that's had a running 4100 say that it blew on them.

Yeah, I also looked up the cost of a heater core, and it's only like $25/$35, so I'm not sure why Guy said it would be "expensive." How long did the replacement take? I still don't know enough about the system to even say I'd want to replace it.

Blah. -__- Need to figure out what caused the valve cover gasket to blow out. Maybe I installed it wrong?

nebulosity
07-31-13, 05:18 PM
UPDATE: The shop called me again to tell me that the tech actually didn't test drive it, so when they went to move it, they noticed it had so little power, and I was like, "Yeaaaaahhhhhhhh." He asked me if I wanted him to look into it, and I was like, "YES, PLEASE." lol. So it'll be nice to have people with experience actually looking at the issue because I have no idea what causes such loss of power. :/

turbojimmy
07-31-13, 05:22 PM
I have no idea what causes such loss of power. :/

In technical terms, it's broken :-p

nebulosity
07-31-13, 05:24 PM
In technical terms, it's broken :-p

Technically. :P

I hope they can figure it out because I'd probably be scratching my head and reading around the internet FOR DAYS, or worse, weeks.

cadillac kevin
07-31-13, 05:55 PM
after the wreck in my 86, the trans would act up when the engine warmed up and lost compression, but would act normally until the engine warmed up (so it would work fine for anywhere from 5-10 minutes then start acting up. check the trans fluid for color/ smell but the trans should be fine.
BTW, given you had overheating+ no power+ blown valve cover gasket....maybe blown HG too? seems something caused quite the pressure build up to blow the valve cover gasket/ lack of cooling. Hows the radiator?

nebulosity
07-31-13, 06:07 PM
after the wreck in my 86, the trans would act up when the engine warmed up and lost compression, but would act normally until the engine warmed up (so it would work fine for anywhere from 5-10 minutes then start acting up. check the trans fluid for color/ smell but the trans should be fine.
BTW, given you had overheating+ no power+ blown valve cover gasket....maybe blown HG too? seems something caused quite the pressure build up to blow the valve cover gasket/ lack of cooling. Hows the radiator?

Interesting to hear how the transmission could be related. I'll definitely double check the transmission fluid.

The guys at the shop said they ran a test to be sure I didn't have a blown head gasket (apparently it wasn't a compression test, but a test of the exhaust gases to make sure there wasn't any coolant/oil? Not entirely sure here).

It would be nice if the loss of power is actually the same thing that cause the blown valve cover gasket, because then it would be two birds with one stone. The only question is now, what caused such significant back pressure in the engine to blow the valve cover gasket? I'm not sure, but I'm starting to wonder if my installation job wasn't 100%. I torqued everything down to spec (35 ft-lbs), but there was one valve cover screw that I had trouble tightening. Regardless, there was clearly too much pressure in there, and I'm not sure why. PCV valve is new and the vacuum system is working (as far as I tested it).

cadillac_al
07-31-13, 07:11 PM
If we go back to basics and think of the engine as an air pump, either the PCV system isn't working or it can't keep up with the piston ring blow by. Maybe a clogged exhaust would contribute to even more blow by. A clogged exhaust will also kill your vacuum and power, and the low vacuum will make the trans not shift right. I don't know how complicated the PCV system is on that car being from Cali and all. If it's simply a PCV valve running straight to the intake then there isn't much to fail there. It should have another compression test but my gut tells me the exhaust may be clogged. I hope your shop can get it sorted out quickly.

blueboy
07-31-13, 07:28 PM
...'cept the body. ya need the fleetwood manual for that.

csbuckn
07-31-13, 08:00 PM
I like the idea of clogged exhaust. Also, the last time you reported about the fuel system, you said the injectors weren't spraying as they should. I'd get the exhaust tested somehow and get a fuel pressure reading. I think Al may be on to something with the exhaust. So did the valve cover gasket actually move off the surface or did it just leak a lot? I'd also wonder what the computer is doing to the fuel trim when it thinks timing is at 30 but it's actually at 10. Almost tempted to put it back to 30. You got a lot of things going on here but it's probably not this complicated.

nebulosity
07-31-13, 09:07 PM
Here, have some pictures while I continue to contemplate my Caddy dilemma. :)

I've done a LOT of reading in this thing.. hours.

My first ever trip to a pick-n-pull.

Scored this part -- they gave it to me free. :D ... There were no other girls there. LOL this part was lost in our move from Utah to Cali.

I made sure to thank this beautiful car for donating its part to my Caddy. It broke my heart to see the face of a car similar to mine in a place like this.

Put everything back together. It's been a long time since I've seen this sight...

I learned how to use a timing gun. :D

Caddy's first day out on the town! ...Well, sort of. We arrived at Larry's Auto Care to get it smogged. :) Unfortunately they don't have a dyno. So we went in search of a place in SJ that did. We didn't make it out of Scotts Valley though. HWY 17's hills are brutal.

.... so we had it towed back to Larry's after it overheated.

And we arrived. I realized I've seen my caddy on a tow truck more times than on the road. There will a come a day when the Caddy has more drives than tow rides. I promised it to my Caddy.

cadillac kevin
07-31-13, 09:12 PM
what happened to your rocker panel? Go offroading?

nebulosity
07-31-13, 10:23 PM
what happened to your rocker panel? Go offroading?

What do you mean? The rocker panels are clean. Does something look wrong?

cadillac kevin
07-31-13, 10:29 PM
What do you mean? The rocker panels are clean. Does something look wrong?
left rocker about 2-3 inches back from the front edge of the door looks smashed like it hit a curb or something.

nebulosity
07-31-13, 10:47 PM
left rocker about 2-3 inches back from the front edge of the door looks smashed like it hit a curb or something.

Which picture are you looking at?

Wait, Are you talking about the silver exterior trim of the car on drivers side? I have no idea what happened to that. The car has been in the family since I was 10 (almost 20 years ago), and so my mom probably messed that up somehow... quite a mystery to me.

cadillac kevin
07-31-13, 11:33 PM
Which picture are you looking at?

Wait, Are you talking about the silver exterior trim of the car on drivers side? I have no idea what happened to that. The car has been in the family since I was 10 (almost 20 years ago), and so my mom probably messed that up somehow... quite a mystery to me.
yup....thats what I'm talking about. Aside from that, its a gorgeous car. I love coupes. I wish my sedan was a coupe...never seen a coupe in my color combo though.

nebulosity
07-31-13, 11:42 PM
Here, have some videos from Monday and Tuesday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moAGNy1h3dc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BCjstcyyPo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwazC33r6Mc

cadillaccruiser703
08-02-13, 06:03 PM
So it runs fine now?

turbojimmy
08-02-13, 07:00 PM
I always keep a relay in my ashtray just in case.

nebulosity
08-02-13, 07:08 PM
I always keep a relay in my ashtray just in case.

LOL .... somebody noticed.

That relay is the ELC relay to stop the stupid compressor from trying to pump up the shocks when they aren't the pump-able shocks (so they're just not connected to anything). I was so tired of that stupid loud compressor. lol

turbojimmy
08-02-13, 07:13 PM
LOL .... somebody noticed.

That relay is the ELC relay to stop the stupid compressor from trying to pump up the shocks when they aren't the pump-able shocks (so they're just not connected to anything). I was so tired of that stupid loud compressor. lol

My Avalanche is doing the same thing. Shocks leak and the stupid pump runs all the time. It gives up after a while, but it's still annoying. I'll have to find the relay and put it in my ashtray :-P

nebulosity
08-02-13, 07:16 PM
My Avalanche is doing the same thing. Shocks leak and the stupid pump runs all the time. It gives up after a while, but it's still annoying. I'll have to find the relay and put it in my ashtray :-P

LOL I'm starting a trend! Take a picture if you do. ;)

But hey, I don't use the ashtray, and I'll never lose the relay that way. :P

----------

So it runs fine now?

Mostly. It runs well under 30mph and on straight-a-ways only. ;)

cadillac kevin
08-02-13, 09:59 PM

But hey, I don't use the ashtray, and I'll never lose the relay that way. :P

----------

Mostly. It runs well under 30mph and on straight-a-ways only. ;)

So did my 307...at least until it started having a smoke screen roll out from under the bumper on its last drive to the mechanics. :)

nebulosity
08-02-13, 11:48 PM
So did my 307...at least until it started having a smoke screen roll out from under the bumper on its last drive to the mechanics. :)

Eep... let's not think those thoughts. :suspense:

cadillac kevin
08-03-13, 12:23 AM
Eep... let's not think those thoughts. :suspense:

Funny thing was I didn't know it was doing it. I got to the mechanics and commented to my dad how it was weird that I was doing 10 under the speed limit (because the 307 couldn't go over 25 or 30 without giving it over 50% throttle once warmed up and I didn't want to push it and risk it blowing up) and pulling away from everyone. My dad (who was following me in the van) said "didn't you notice the smoke?" I asked "what smoke?" And he said "there was a thick smoke screen rolling out from under the bumper. It looked like the car was on fire and it kept getting worse. I think that engine finally died." (I didn't notice any smoke, but I was worried about it making it to the mechanics....and it barely made it. It was making quite a racket the last couple blocks and it reeked of oil heavily, but it drove onto the lot.)

turbojimmy
08-04-13, 01:46 PM

Finally took the time to yank the fuse. Naturally it's upset about it - SERVICE SUSPENSION but no ill-effects. It was driving me nuts - ran every couple of minutes.

I call it the nebulosity mod.
http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii636/jestoltz/alc_fuse_zpscd25a3c3.jpg

nebulosity
08-04-13, 08:14 PM
Finally took the time to yank the fuse. Naturally it's upset about it - SERVICE SUSPENSION but no ill-effects. It was driving me nuts - ran every couple of minutes.

I call it the nebulosity mod.

YESSSSSSS!!! That made my day. :highfive:

nebulosity
08-06-13, 06:19 PM
Caddy update:

They noticed the distributor wasn't bolted down securely and the timing was changing causing the power loss. Now, I know that we couldn't figure out how the distributor is supposed to be bolted down, so I'm not in the least bit surprised they found that out (although I didn't think it was the primary cause for loss of power).

Does anyone know how the distributor is supposed to be fixed in place after you set the timing? It seemed like someone had RTVd the thing in before I took the distributor base out, and I didn't RTV it back in because I didn't think that was the official way to do it.

Ideas?

turbojimmy
08-06-13, 07:53 PM
Is there not a clamp and bolt?

csbuckn
08-06-13, 08:37 PM
There should be a bolt hole close by that would be used to bolt down the distributer clamp.

nebulosity
08-06-13, 09:07 PM
There is a threaded rod with a washer and a nut UNDER the distributor base, but it's unclear to use how it does anything to keep the distributor from rotating... as far as we can see, it only keeps the distributor in the hole. There's supposed to be a clamp? When I took the caddy originally to be checked out at a place in san jose called Robbie's auto, they returned the car to me without the distributor bolted into the hole... it was just sitting in there. :(

turbojimmy
08-06-13, 09:21 PM
There should be a bolt, or perhaps a nut on a stud, and a clamp to hold that distributor in place. It's engineered in a way that no human could possibly see or touch it. The engineers still giggle themselves to sleep at night. When you have the right parts, you'll need a distributor wrench (a 90-degree wrench) to get on the bolt/nut and even then you can get like 1/100" of a turn at a time out of it. It would take hours to tighten properly. Or at least that's how I recall them. YMMV.

nebulosity
08-06-13, 10:16 PM
There should be a bolt, or perhaps a nut on a stud, and a clamp to hold that distributor in place. It's engineered in a way that no human could possibly see or touch it. The engineers still giggle themselves to sleep at night. When you have the right parts, you'll need a distributor wrench (a 90-degree wrench) to get on the bolt/nut and even then you can get like 1/100" of a turn at a time out of it. It would take hours to tighten properly. Or at least that's how I recall them. YMMV.

There is a nut on a stud. How the heck does it keep the distributor in place?

jayoldschool
08-06-13, 10:40 PM
You're missing the clamp.

nebulosity
08-06-13, 10:52 PM
What's it look like? I could probably go pull one off at the Pick-n-Pull.

1980coupe
08-06-13, 11:07 PM
Yeah, you can get one from the JY...
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=webhp&tbm=isch&source=hp&ei=s7kBUqrHBMrayAGU1IHIBA&q=distributor+clamp&oq=distributor+clamp&gs_l=mobile-gws-hp.1.0.0j0i24.11365.17111.0.19374.20.15.0.5.5.0.27 1.2213.0j4j6.10.0....0...1c.1.24.mobile-gws-hp..6.14.2257.tHNnvQLftqE&rlz=1Y1YYEK_enUS525US525&safe=active&biw=640&bih=287&sei=yLkBUouSB6bbyQGDjIDAAw

BigCadMan_1
08-06-13, 11:38 PM
You need the part numbered as 17.

http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii535/madcaddyman/Cadillac_41liter_001_zps99a82b22.jpg (http://s1258.photobucket.com/user/madcaddyman/media/Cadillac_41liter_001_zps99a82b22.jpg.html)

nebulosity
08-09-13, 03:50 AM
Caddy update:

I found the funny shaped washer (i.e. clamp) that holds the distributor in place. Now I need a distributor wrench.

Because of work, I haven't been able to go get the Caddy yet, but we're definitely going down to get the caddy in the morning. I need to test drive it to make sure it'll be able to handle at least 40mph. Once we feel comfortable that the caddy is in decent shape to drive up the 17, we're going to take it to get smogged.

I have no idea what tomorrow will bring. The uncertainty makes me worry a bit. :/

greencadillacmatt
08-09-13, 04:21 AM
I have no idea what tomorrow will bring. The uncertainty makes me worry a bit. :/

Fingers crossed for you! Definitely hoping that everything works out. I'm a huge fan of the '84 Coupes, and it always sucks seeing one down. BEST OF LUCK! :thumbsup:

cadillac_al
08-09-13, 08:32 AM
I wish you luck but I would bet money a poor running car will not pass smog.

I always tell my girlfriend to wear something sexy when she takes her old clunkers in for inspection. Surprisingly it works and they always miss the medium sized rust holes that I didn't feel like fixing. I tell her to keep talking and joking with the guys while they are under the car to mess up their train of thought lol. Probably irrelevant for a smog check.

nebulosity
08-09-13, 11:23 AM
Fingers crossed for you! Definitely hoping that everything works out. I'm a huge fan of the '84 Coupes, and it always sucks seeing one down. BEST OF LUCK! :thumbsup:

Thanks!! We need it. We'll do our best and keep you guys updated. :thumbsup:

nebulosity
08-09-13, 01:52 PM
Caddy update:

Took the Caddy for a test drive and to the gas station for a little more gas (first gas station fillup in years!!). The Caddy drove quite nicely! A lot like I remember it. Not a race car obviously, but it absolutely did not struggle or backfire, even on modest hills. I got up to 45mph no problem whatsoever.

The only issue now is that it still needs a new valve cover gasket and one of the holes probably need to be re-tapped. Since I apparently screwed it up last time, Im just gonna let the guys at Larrys take care of it. They wot be able to get to it for a week or so, but theres no hurry since my moving permit is good for 60 days.

We're on our way to go replace the battery because it doesnt really hold a charge anymore. Then we go pick up the calve cover gasket at winchester auto, put in the new battery and leave the new gaskets in the Caddy.

It was throwing some codes at first: 12, 15, 23, 30, 52, but after we took out the battery (and then had to put it back in to move the car, lol) effectively clearing the codes, I was getting a 16 and a 52. I left my shop manual at home by accident, so I cant remember what all the codes are. Some are probably related to the fact that the auto shop guy played with the distributor, and I expect those codes wont stay long after we get the new battery in, Ill clear the codes, start it up and try again.

----------

First fillup at the gas station in years...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1F_EjOFLdQ

----------

....... hey, this is a loud sound. What the heck is it? A valve? o_O

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMp1H8-0BSE

turbojimmy
08-09-13, 02:32 PM
The audio on my PC isn't fantabulous, but it sounds like a big 'ol exhaust leak. Like a manifold leak.

On a second listen I'm not so sure. Can you figure out where it's coming from (front, back, one side or the other?). It's not a happy sound.

nebulosity
08-09-13, 02:45 PM
The audio on my PC isn't fantabulous, but it sounds like a big 'ol exhaust leak. Like a manifold leak.

On a second listen I'm not so sure. Can you figure out where it's coming from (front, back, one side or the other?). It's not a happy sound.

Well, a corner of the valve cover gasket is missing on one side, so do you think Im just hearin more sound han usual? We're heading back over to start up the caddy. Ill try to identify a location of the sound.

turbojimmy
08-09-13, 02:55 PM
Well, a corner of the valve cover gasket is missing on one side, so do you think Im just hearin more sound han usual? We're heading back over to start up the caddy. Ill try to identify a location of the sound.

Sorry, no. That's really loud. Rockers just kind of "tick". Anyone that has been tortured by adjustable rockers will tell you that running the car with the cover off while you adjust them is messy but not loud. Something else wrong there. Hopefully it's external (relatively easy to fix) and not internal (not).

csbuckn
08-09-13, 03:34 PM
Sounds like a broken rocker or something in the valve train.

nebulosity
08-10-13, 12:22 AM
Sounds like a broken rocker or something in the valve train.

Aw man, I hope not. :( Would that kind of thing be easily visible when they go to replace the valve covers? Or is that kind of failure hard to see?

csbuckn
08-10-13, 12:50 AM
A broken rocker is easy to see and easy to fix. Hopefully its something simple.

nebulosity
08-10-13, 12:54 AM
A broken rocker is easy to see and easy to fix. Hopefully its something simple.

Well that sure is good to know.

They won't get to the Caddy until sometime next week. I'll keep you guys updated. :)

csbuckn
08-10-13, 12:57 AM
Your car is making my nerves bad. lol
:)

nebulosity
08-10-13, 12:59 AM
Your car is making my nerves bad. lol
:)

Sorry, man. You're not the only one. lol ;)

csbuckn
08-10-13, 10:12 AM
No worries, the suspense makes it exciting...."will the car make it? Tune in later"

nebulosity
08-10-13, 01:53 PM
No worries, the suspense makes it exciting...."will the car make it? Tune in later"

lol, yeah, my other friend said he is feeling like he's watching a reality tv show, always asking me, "so what's happening next??"

1980coupe
08-10-13, 02:12 PM
Maybe that sound could be a broken flywheel? My 79 has that and we first thought it was a rod knocking but the bolts around flywheel are broken.
Does yours fade out when driving, it's not as noisy?

nebulosity
08-10-13, 02:24 PM
Maybe that sound could be a broken flywheel? My 79 has that and we first thought it was a rod knocking but the bolts around flywheel are broken.
Does yours fade out when driving, it's not as noisy?

Actually, I didn't notice the sound at all until I popped the hood open. I drove it for about 5-10 minutes and didn't hear it. The Caddy accelerated nicely without any noticeable noise.

1980coupe
08-10-13, 03:40 PM
Same with the 79 coupe. It drives and accelerates fine and the noise fades but comes back. Check when driving and lower windows and keep and hear out..:)

nebulosity
08-19-13, 02:15 PM
Got a call from Larry's and they said the Cadillac is ready for pickup. I asked them if their tech found any broken rockers, and he said "none of the rockers are broken." I'm a bit skeptical because the last time I asked Guy something over the phone, I asked if the technician had test driven the car, and Guy said "Yes, the car drives fine." It turned out that the technician HADN'T test driven the car, and that the car was definitely NOT fine. As a result, I'm really skeptical about his response with the rocker arms. Anyways, I'll go pick up the Caddy later this week, let it warm up, and listen for the same loud sound I was hearing last time. If I still hear that sound, I'll have the mechanics listen to it again.

greencadillacmatt
08-21-13, 07:35 AM
^What was it they found in the first place? Was it the dizzy spinning around because of the missing clamp?

nebulosity
08-21-13, 01:06 PM
^What was it they found in the first place? Was it the dizzy spinning around because of the missing clamp?

We had put a regular washer there which wasn't doing anything at all, so yes, it was spinning around.

greencadillacmatt
08-22-13, 07:18 AM
Is it back on the road now? (Forgive me if I seem out of the loop. As a fellow '84-er, I love seeing another get back on the road. :highfive:

talismandave
08-22-13, 09:29 AM
What's next, reschedule emissions test?

nebulosity
08-22-13, 01:16 PM
Is it back on the road now? (Forgive me if I seem out of the loop. As a fellow '84-er, I love seeing another get back on the road. :highfive:

I haven't picked it up from the shop yet because my boss didn't let me take a day off this week. :want:

----------

What's next, reschedule emissions test?

Yup. When I go pick it up, I have to make sure none of the codes are coming back and that it drives well. Then, if I'm lucky, I make the scary trek up highway 17 to San Jose to get it emissions tested. I have a feeling there may be one more thing that needs to be fixed before we take it up to San Jose.

Btw, something weird I noticed... the tail of the car is sitting REALLY low, like the shocks are dead or something. I had replaced the shocks 6 months before I stopped driving the car. Do shocks poop out just from sitting?

bigm57ict
08-22-13, 01:47 PM
Does your car have ELC? (Electronic Level Control)

Shocks don't keep the car level. They only keep it from bouncing too much over bumps.
You probably have worn out springs.

nebulosity
08-22-13, 01:50 PM
Does your car have ELC? (Electronic Level Control)

Yes, but when I replaced the shocks last time, I wasn't able to get the ELC compatible ones (they said they stopped making them?). I didn't have time to search around for the right shocks back then, and my friend said regular shocks would work fine, and he was right, they worked well. The tail of the car had stayed at the same level until just the last few weeks, so something has changed. How can I know whether I have bad springs?

77CDV
08-22-13, 10:25 PM
Springs don't usually collapse suddenly like that unless they physically break. If the shocks have gone bad, and they can go bad suddenly if they develop a leak or somesuch, the car will settle down, and the effect will be more pronounced if the fronts are still good. You had the engine out of the car for a while, fundementally changing the weight distribution and putting a sustained extra stress on the rear suspension. This may have compressed the rear springs or worn the shocks to the point of sudden failure.

nebulosity
08-22-13, 10:34 PM
Springs don't usually collapse suddenly like that unless they physically break. If the shocks have gone bad, and they can go bad suddenly if they develop a leak or somesuch, the car will settle down, and the effect will be more pronounced if the fronts are still good. You had the engine out of the car for a while, fundementally changing the weight distribution and putting a sustained extra stress on the rear suspension. This may have compressed the rear springs or worn the shocks to the point of sudden failure.

Actually I did all the work with the engine still in (a few more bolts and it practically would have been out though... lol). I'll inspect the shocks and the springs next time I'm at the Caddy. Maybe it'll be easier to see which it is by looking at it. :/

77CDV
08-22-13, 11:18 PM
If the shocks are blown, they'll usually be leaking.

Mark 78 Coupe
08-23-13, 01:36 AM
Cherie, I just read all of your posts, and I am impressed by your determination! Doing the type of work you are doing without the benefit of a garage is tough. I really hope all goes well with your engine. I wonder, though, if you might want to have your car checked out at another place? First, a third set of eyes couldn't hurt. Secondly, especially in California, where older cars are much more common, maybe you could find someone who works more often on older cars? I don't get the impression that the head gasket issue has really been answered/resolved by the current shop. It sounds like they are not doing a good job of communicating what they have found. I know the 4100 is not a power house, but it should be able to go up a hill. Anyway, thanks for the great read, and I'm rooting for you and your old Caddy.

nebulosity
08-26-13, 12:44 PM
Caddy update: Went down to the shop, and just as we were getting ready to pull the batteryto take it jome to charge, my husband noticed that they hooked the throttle spring directly to the valve cover screw *headdesk* with the bracket its supposed to be hooked to nowhere in sight... even worse, a valve cover scre they replaced was left too long and wasnt even holdig down the valve cover... soo it goes without sayin hat we just talked to the tech and manager and asked them to fix it and try to figure out what they did with my bracket. I even showed them a picture of the bracket sothat they can remember what theyre looking for.

Anyways, im off to work. More details later.

cadillac kevin
08-26-13, 01:35 PM
Caddy update: Went down to the shop, and just as we were getting ready to pull the batteryto take it jome to charge, my husband noticed that they hooked the throttle spring directly to the valve cover screw *headdesk* with the bracket its supposed to be hooked to nowhere in sight... even worse, a valve cover scre they replaced was left too long and wasnt even holdig down the valve cover... soo it goes without sayin hat we just talked to the tech and manager and asked them to fix it and try to figure out what they did with my bracket. I even showed them a picture of the bracket sothat they can remember what theyre looking for.

Sounds like its time to look for another shop. That kind of halfassery is unacceptable (to me anyways).

talismandave
08-26-13, 01:42 PM

Sorry to hear that. I hope they get it all straightened out.

BTW, Dose this mean we should stop posting ideas in the "How To Really Convey Appreciation/Gratitude To Your Mechanic?" thread?:hmm:

:duck:

Cadillac_Fan
08-26-13, 01:46 PM
Geesh. That is extraordinary incompetence. Are these ASE certified techs? Might be time to part ways with that shop.

nebulosity
08-26-13, 02:22 PM
Sounds like its time to look for another shop. That kind of halfassery is unacceptable (to me anyways).

Yeahhhhhhhhh. I agree. If these guys weren't so darn nice (genuinely), I would definitely be looking for another shop. At the very least, I need them to fix what they've messed up. There are only two auto shops in Scotts Valley, and I don't know anything about the other shop. I have several friends who go to Larry's and always have good results. Then again, if I didn't know anything about my car, I never would have known they lost my bracket and didn't screw the bolt in. Makes you wonder how often this happens and people are oblivious.....

----------

Sorry to hear that. I hope they get it all straightened out.

BTW, Dose this mean we should stop posting ideas in the "How To Really Convey Appreciation/Gratitude To Your Mechanic?" thread?:hmm:

:duck:

Hahaha My husband doesn't think I should do anything nice for them now either. lol, sad. :(

cadillac kevin
08-26-13, 02:28 PM
Yeahhhhhhhhh. I agree. If these guys weren't so darn nice (genuinely), I would definitely be looking for another shop. At the very least, I need them to fix what they've messed up. There are only two auto shops in Scotts Valley, and I don't know anything about the other shop. I have several friends who go to Larry's and always have good results. Then again, if I didn't know anything about my car, I never would have known they lost my bracket and didn't screw the bolt in. Makes you wonder how often this happens and people are oblivious.....

If they can't find the bracket, theres a 4100 powered bustleback seville in the yard here. It should have it.

nebulosity
08-26-13, 02:49 PM
If they can't find the bracket, theres a 4100 powered bustleback seville in the yard here. It should have it.

Wow, that's very kind of you. :) The pick-n-pull near my house looks like it has an '84 in the yard, so worst case scenario I can probably just go pull it there. It's just something else, ya know? If they end up not finding the bracket and I can't get my hands on one at the yard, I'll let you know. :)

cadillaccruiser703
08-26-13, 11:28 PM
by any chance do you know what size bolt for the water pump. its by the lower hose, the very bottom one. seems as if i didnt install my water pump right and leaks right around that area because of this dam bolt. this is all that i need to complete my timing chain job on the 4100. thanks

csbuckn
08-26-13, 11:53 PM
You have the patients of a high school teacher.

nebulosity
08-27-13, 12:58 AM
by any chance do you know what size bolt for the water pump. its by the lower hose, the very bottom one. seems as if i didnt install my water pump right and leaks right around that area because of this dam bolt. this is all that i need to complete my timing chain job on the 4100. thanks

You need to know the length and thread pitch? Or just the bolt head size? And how can you fix the leak with that info? I would imagine that it would leak if your gasket didn't make a good seal at that location. Did you torque everything down properly? Was the gasket surface nice and smooth when you put it all back together, free of old gasket material and nicks in the surface?

Does this image give you the information you need?

nebulosity
08-27-13, 12:59 AM
You have the patients of a high school teacher.

It's funny too... I usually don't have this kind of patience with people (mechanics who lose parts on a car). lol

cadillaccruiser703
08-27-13, 02:35 AM
thanks that chart helps. this car came with some hardware missing and the timing cover already torn apart. so i been piecing it as i go. thought i was done, then added coolant and leaked right around that bolt. i used one long enough for the timing cover but enough for the pump. its "b" on your chart.

jayoldschool
08-27-13, 11:47 AM
Put thread sealer on the bolts.

cadillaccruiser703
08-27-13, 12:41 PM
The problem i have is that bolt"b" is a little bolt. And the water pump does not sit flush against the timing cover there. So what i did was just leave that hole alone since it was elevated and had enough clearance for the little bolt head

77CDV
08-27-13, 04:40 PM
After having the first resto shop lose half the trim and assorted parts on my 69, I definitely feel your pain, Cherie. You seriously need a new mechanic.

nebulosity
08-30-13, 01:35 AM
Caddy update: we decided we're not going to risk the treaterous drive up hwy 17, and we've scheduled a tow truck for tomorrow morning, YAY! This means that the caddy will be in San jose tomorrow morning FOR SURE, WITHOUT mishaps. Emissions testing to follow arrival into san jose. Hoping my baby passes! This is all good news. Hoping for nothing extraordinary to happen tomorrow. I just need to get this car smogged and registered. :) I LOVE MY CADDY <3 <3

I made a silent promise to my car 8 years ago that I would follow through and get it running smoothly again, and here I am now, able to say Ive kept my promise. Now im ready to move into the next stage where I can drive the car regularly. Im making it my daily commuter as soon as registration happens. I wouldnt have gotten this far without you guys. <3

nebulosity
08-30-13, 03:22 PM
For convenience we towed the Caddy all the way home. We're charging the battery a bit now, and then will go over to the emissions station for testing.

greencadillacmatt
08-30-13, 04:06 PM
SUCH a gorgeous car. I'm a huge fan of the Coupes in white. :D

nebulosity
08-30-13, 04:10 PM
SUCH a gorgeous car. I'm a huge fan of the Coupes in white. :D

Thanks! I think so too. :) The paint is a bit faded, but it's color is actually a really pale tan color.. if I were to name the color, I'd call it "sand," LOL. :)

greencadillacmatt
08-30-13, 06:12 PM
It still looks nice. My CDV is quite faded too. I'll end up getting it repainted some day. A fresh coat of Balboa Blue would do it some good!

77CDV
08-30-13, 09:54 PM
Congrats, Cherie! Here's to many happy miles on the road! :)

nebulosity
08-31-13, 01:42 PM
The caddy passed california emissions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1980coupe
08-31-13, 05:26 PM
Thanks! I think so too. :) The paint is a bit faded, but it's color is actually a really pale tan color.. if I were to name the color, I'd call it "sand," LOL. :)
If it is the same colors used in 1980, it is called Flax, color code 59. Does it show this code on the plate affixed on the cowl?

cadillaccruiser703
08-31-13, 06:09 PM
Congrats

nebulosity
08-31-13, 07:16 PM
If it is the same colors used in 1980, it is called Flax, color code 59. Does it show this code on the plate affixed on the cowl?

Where is the cowl? Is that the one inside the door?

----------

Congrats

Thanks!

nebulosity
08-31-13, 07:21 PM
As you know, the Caddy passed, but it actually BARELY passed. Concentrations of NO were borderline. REALLY borderline. I'm going to be doing a lot of research into how to improve my car's emissions before next year's test because the technician says that the limits are becoming stricter every year. If I want to keep driving this car, I'm going to need to stay on top of emissions as best I can.

talismandave
08-31-13, 07:59 PM
Way to go Cherie! :thumbsup:

csbuckn
08-31-13, 08:12 PM
I wouldn't start looking into the emission levels until you have driven the car a few hundred miles to wake it up.

So is the car driving with relatively no problems now? No more noise and decent power?

1980coupe
08-31-13, 08:13 PM
The cowl area is where the wipers are. The plate I mentioned is under the wiper arm on the driver side right below the windshield