: 96 Fleetwood Probs

dolomite41
02-23-05, 01:13 AM
I have a 96 Fleetwood and i have encountered some problems with it. When i smash on the gas, as it switches gears i have a hesitation and it seems to stutter. I went to the dealership and they told me that it was the Air Pump in the engine that sends clean air to the engine. They told me it would cost around $900. Has anyone ever had any probs with this? If so any suggestions? Also my gas sending unit is not correct, it says that i have a full tank and its really only 1/2 or 1/4, Anyone with this prob? The last thing is my trunk. It will not pull my trunk down and my switch does not work in the glove box. i bought a trunk pulldown motor and it still didnt work. I am to believe that it is the part on top of the trunk where the switch is at. Anyone have a part number or the name so i can find it on the Net to replace, so i dont get charged an arm and leg at the dealership...any help please?

cadillacmike68
02-23-05, 06:25 PM
Don't smash the gas pedal so hard:) How old are your wires and plugs?

The trunk pull down motor is on the bottom in front of the license plate, not on the decklid.

Try disconnecting the release motor and re-connecting it, mine sometimes loses its mind".

The gas gauge lies to you, telling you you have more fuel that you really have, GM won't ack the problem.

N0DIH
02-23-05, 08:40 PM
No, these cars really get 100 mpg, trust your fuel gauge.... :) 2300 mile cruising range!

Just kidding! (because someone might flame me because they tried it...)

According to my FWB's previous owner he had a broken wire near the back of the left trunk hinge. Take a look, by what you describe a wire is broken, the switch that ACTIVATES the pulldown is on the trunk lid, the trunk release mech is also on the lid, the pulldown motor is behind the license plate.

Take a look. I will snap a picture of where mine broke at if I remember....

Tom

ocjmakaveli
02-24-05, 05:27 AM
I have a 96 Fleetwood and i have encountered some problems with it. When i smash on the gas, as it switches gears i have a hesitation and it seems to stutter. I went to the dealership and they told me that it was the Air Pump in the engine that sends clean air to the engine. They told me it would cost around $900. Has anyone ever had any probs with this? If so any suggestions? Also my gas sending unit is not correct, it says that i have a full tank and its really only 1/2 or 1/4, Anyone with this prob? The last thing is my trunk. It will not pull my trunk down and my switch does not work in the glove box. i bought a trunk pulldown motor and it still didnt work. I am to believe that it is the part on top of the trunk where the switch is at. Anyone have a part number or the name so i can find it on the Net to replace, so i dont get charged an arm and leg at the dealership...any help please?

Your first mistake was taking your car to a dealer not recommended basically everytime you take your car to a dealership they have to charge you for the person working on your car for the secretary for the fancy clothes and for the estimate guy and a couple other parts people which I doubt you want to pay these many people.

I would suggest trying a couple different mechanics local ones with small to moderate shops and sticking with the best one you find.

This will only take 1 or 2 days of your time for you to try 2 or 3 mechanics but once you find a good mechanic you will save a lot of money and have fewer headaches.

I would suggest getting at least 2 more opinions and then letting us know what they told you and we can get a better idea of what the problem is.

I doubt it's the air pump though. The hesitation can be a mix of things or even bad gas it's very hard to diagnose something like that sometimes.

I'm wondering though you said when you smash on the gas and as it switches gears it stutters correct? if this is happening then it seems like a transmission or torque converter problem not an engine problem.

if it stutters as soon as you step on the gas it could be engine related but if it happens at certain speeds then its drivetrain(trans) related.

let me know with more details the problems you having.

If you don't want to get ripped off take some time and drop your car off at a couple shops it's hard finding a good mechanic and some are just guessing it's amazing the things they can come up with sometimes.

I have to say the 3 times I've taken 3 different cars to a dealership they were either mis-diagnosed or no problem was found which is the most annoying response available.

FTSS
02-24-05, 05:30 PM
1. Stay away from Cadillac dealers. Goofy dealer in Dayton tried to slap a $75 computer diagnostic charge on a repair for an airshock leak. "Well, that's just our standard charge whenever we hook it up . . ." HAHahAha. Guess who tore up the manager on the phone for 10 minutes and did not pay? You got it.
2. You need new plugs and wires if you got more than 100,000 miles.
3. See 1.
4. Remove your AIRPump. It's legal to. On an OBD II '96, you need to send your PCM to Brian Herter to program it out or you'll get a trouble code. '95-'94 don't have to re-program. A dealer can re-flash your PCM too, but will charge the lion's share (maybe $75) of the same $150 that Brian does, but he will do all kinds of extra goodies on your PCM at the same time (remove 109 mph speed limiter, change shifts, harder shifts, recalibrate your tire diameters . . .) Oh, do a search for the $1 decal from the guy for the AIR Delete too to make it official.
5. Stay away from Cadillac dealers.
6. Fuel gauge is imfamous for getting tireder and tireder on our cars as they age. One bar down is 1/2, 1/2 is 5 gallons left, and 3 bars now is walking! Keep a 1 gallon jug in the trunk.
7. If 2. don't pep it up, you may want to check your EGR valve. Plus, there's rubber vacuum elbows that get rotten and spongy. I'm replacing all mine.
8. You can alcohol clean the little wires inside the MAF valve on the intake, especially if 'n you have that red K&N filter oil scum on it.
9. Best hint I have is spend $900 on tools, do all your own work, and never go to a dealer except for free warranty work. Even then be careful. I had "new head gaskets" installed by a dealer on an overheating Explorer that cost Ford $750, and the paint was not even broke on any bolts.
10. Search, find, and get used to "Dal" who sells GM parts cheap, intelligently and painlessly. He knows our cars and all the hot mod numbers by heart.

cadillacmike68
02-25-05, 03:42 PM
Nice reply FTSS

The speed limit is 108MPH! - trust me.

I ran out 6 miles after sarting with 4 bars one time - forgot my wallet that day too!

This week, I coasted in on fumes to the gas station, started off with 4 or 5 bars. put 22.1 gals in the tank!