: rack and pinion dying

big greg
07-09-13, 11:49 AM
Well the other day I noticed turning left was a little tough. Now at idle when I first start it it won't turn left at all. Unless I rev it. Sounds like the rack but I think I might change the pump first just because its half the cost and easier to do. The miles are starting to wear on my old girl

Superjim
07-09-13, 12:01 PM
Well the other day I noticed turning left was a little tough. Now at idle when I first start it it won't turn left at all. Unless I rev it. Sounds like the rack but I think I might change the pump first just because its half the cost and easier to do. The miles are starting to wear on my old girl

How many miles do you have on it ??

big greg
07-09-13, 01:29 PM
135 k.

big greg
08-26-13, 10:24 AM
Well I changed the pump which was a breeze. Only one bolt!! But unfortunately its the rack. So ill be getting to that sometime soon. Ugh

cadwilliam
08-26-13, 08:28 PM
Yea I have the same problem with my 2006 when I turn both ways. You need a new rack which you know now. It is hard to turn because somehow air has gotten in the system (that's usually way). Some people say you can bleed the system taking off the cap and turning the wheel left and right a few times....anyone chime if I wrong

tjwhite721
08-26-13, 09:31 PM
That's very odd for a rack and pinion needing to be replaced at 135k. They usually last the life of the car..If you don't consistently go over pot holes and etc. A new GM rack might cost over a 1000 dollars. Aftermarket is a hit or a miss and it will never drive the same again like a Caddy.

big greg
08-26-13, 11:57 PM
There is a place in Detroit that sells refurbs for 150$ and you send yours in for 25$ back.

tjwhite721
08-27-13, 09:59 PM
There is a place in Detroit that sells refurbs for 150$ and you send yours in for 25$ back.

I wouldn't trust anything coming from Detroit now lol. Majority of the racks are refurbish. Even aftermarket are refurbish. I would check your power steering system first. I know the rack is part of the power steering system, but I would check the pump, the hose, and make sure there are no leaks. Check inner and outer tie rod ends as well. Check everything before replacing the rack.

big greg
08-28-13, 01:01 AM
Unfortunately I've done all that. Sigh.

tjwhite721
08-28-13, 07:36 AM
I would try the Junk yard first, then a refurbish ac delco or napa. I just heard stories about them not being centered or the steering real lose or too tight. I would definitely do it at the dealer because they would get free replacements if the racks are bad. Sometimes the aftermarket ones are good as the GM ones. You never know though. Good Luck big greg!

Maybe try a Power Steering System flush? Not sure if it will work though.

big greg
10-01-13, 09:39 PM
Well I replaced rack and steering shaft today. With the refurbished ac delco from ebay. Steering is silky smooth now. Glad I finally did the job!!

Cadillac Cust Svc
10-02-13, 01:36 PM
Well I replaced rack and steering shaft today. With the refurbished ac delco from ebay. Steering is silky smooth now. Glad I finally did the job!!

Hi big greg,

I am happy you were able to replace the rack and steering shaft today to resolve your steering issue. I hope you are enjoying your Cadillac now! If any questions ever arise, don't hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

CODTSGuy
10-02-13, 04:26 PM
No offense but why does Laura the Cadillac Customer Care seem to chime in after someone has figured out the fix with the help of everyone else on the forum? And always seems to say don't hesitate to contact us. Seems to me if Cadillac really cared they would have a tech monitor the site and give real advice. Just my 2 cents.

MoistCabbage
10-02-13, 05:12 PM
Did you read her post? She's offering assistance with any FUTURE issues, nothing to do with the problem that's already been figured out. It's a courtesy.

And are you actually suggesting GM pay a Tech to offer FREE diagnostic/repair information on a FREE forum? Should they do the same at the dealerships?

----------

I don't get the attitude towards Cadillac Customer Care on this forum.

They're not here to offer diagnostic advice.
They're not here to try and get you to spend money at a dealer.
They're not here to take your email and VIN and auction it off to the Illuminati.

They're just here to help with dealer/warranty related issues, give warranty information, help set up service appointments, help settle dealer disputes, etc...

big greg
10-02-13, 09:16 PM
The illuminati lol. That was a good one