a tank of 93 octane every once in
a while in the V6?
Thank You

1BadCadSTS
07-09-13, 09:29 AM
Beating. Dead. Horse.

malatu
07-09-13, 10:50 AM
Typically in this world.... you get what you pay for. Though, this doesn't apply to higher octane fuel (compared to regular octane). Just because high octane fuel costs more doesn't mean it's higher quality fuel! It's just different fuel.

Learn the purpose of high octane fuel and why it exists. Once you understand that concept, you'll be able to answer your own question.

In a nutshell, it's for higher compression engines. It has a higher flash-point thus preventing premature ignition within the cylinder during the compression stroke.

In my opinion, don't waste your money.

KRSTS
07-09-13, 11:04 AM
:horse:

mckellyb
07-09-13, 12:02 PM
You'll have less money.

Ludacrisvp
07-09-13, 12:12 PM
What are the Pros & Cons of running
a tank of 93 octane every once in
a while in the V6?
Thank You

Only run higher octane if you are having:
---
Engine Knock
Custom Engine Tune that was configured for it
Manufacturer recommended (GM doesn't say that the 3.6L or the 4.6L needs it, I assume the 4.4L does though)
---

There are arguments that old engines with a lot of carbon buildup could benefit from it due to the carbon build up increasing the pressure in the cylinder would benefit but I think its just rumor.

MoistCabbage
07-09-13, 01:45 PM
If you're getting knock running 87 in an engine designed for it, there's a problem. Using a higher octane is not a solution, it's a band aid.

A LOT of carbon buildup can create higher compression, and higher octane can stop the resulting gas knock, but same as above, not a solution.

Kenny, forget octane. Google top tier fuel.

curtc
07-09-13, 02:17 PM
I used 87 in my 04 3.6 CTS the majority of the time, ran fine...also run 87 in my 4.6 usually and it seems to run just fine...But like said above, I am conscious as to where I get the gas, only top-tier goes in my car.

Guy.Seminerio
07-09-13, 03:37 PM
Yes the 4.4 is 93 and I'd recommend searching for a gas station that doesn't do ethanol. This is a lot easier to find in lower octanes than it is in 93. I got lucky there's one by me. If you're doing searches for cheap gas and a station called "gas sale" or something to that effect comes up, pump at your own risk. If you've never heard of it don't put it in your car.

curtc
07-09-13, 03:55 PM
http://pure-gas.org/

Guy.Seminerio
07-09-13, 06:29 PM
Which is exactly how I found my place.

EChas3
07-11-13, 12:03 AM
Curt is the man! You do not want corn squeezin's or water in your tank. Ideally, you want pure Top Tier gasoline which contains an additive package that goes a long way towards keeping the throttle-body and intake valves clean. I'm not sure but it's probably predominantly Techron (Chevron) or a close variant.

Octane is an agent to SLOW the burn rate of the air/fuel mixture. It does not provide more energy. It does allow higher compression engines to use the additional energy released when the mixture is ignited at higher pressures. (Forced induction via turbo or super-charger has been around for a hundred years.)

Do clean your intake as the manual recommends or more frequently. The STS electronic throttle (fly by wire) isn't as sensitive as the best mechanical throttles but a well maintained intake will prevent jerky starts and other unpleasant behavior. If a grove has been worn by the throttle plate, you really will enjoy the feel of a new throtttle body.