: Problems after massive rainstorm yesterday

Poda
07-09-13, 08:33 AM
We had a massive rainstorm yesterday - flooding everywhere, massive puddles, manhole covers blown out from water pressure. It was quite the drive home. I had no choice but to go through a couple of deep puddles, cringing at the possibility of frying the opti, but that turns out to not be what I should have been concerned about.

After the second puddle, my steering got really sloppy. I figure I probably did something to the VSS, and there's tons of info on how to rig that for always-on minimal assist which was on my to-do list anyway. My real concern are my brakes - last night after the first deep puddle, and this morning the brakes are like they're uber-assisted. Tapping the pedal just jams them on almost to the point of lock-up. After a couple of minutes of driving, they soften up to what they were. I didn't think much of it last night, but the rains have cleared, the car's sat overnight, and first thing thing morning it did it again for the first 5 minutes.

Any thoughts?

outsider
07-09-13, 08:38 AM
Well the first thing I would do is get the tires off and check out the rotors and brake pads. If they look OK I'd spray some brake cleaner on them and give them a nice good cleaning, then go out on a drive and use the brakes a lot to see if that helps. Easy stuff first.

lacville78
07-09-13, 09:50 AM
I live in a humid environment and all of the Cadillacs I have ever driven here have done that when first driven. Try what outsider said it should fix it right up.
In my case the brakes would just get humid again, so I have to live with it.

Poda
07-09-13, 09:54 AM
I found something that I think explains it. Considering my brakes were basically submerged, it looks like I just need to wait for them to dry out. I'll pull the wheels off just in case..

The reason the brakes lock up in wet conditions,is the brake shoe material absorbs moisture and swells up causing the rear brakes to lock up.When you apply the brakes a few times,the heat generated dries out the brake shoes and then the work normally-change the brake shoes and machine the rear drums(the new shoes will be less suseptible to absorbing moisture).

jayoldschool
07-09-13, 12:11 PM
The no steering was the serpentine belt slipping on the power steering pulley.

Get the drums off and let the pads dry, then get it out on the road up to speed, and just drag the brakes a bit, off and on, at highway speed. If it doesn't improve, replace the shoes.

I can't believe the pics of the storm! Did you see the footage of the guy that submerged the Ferrari?

Poda
07-09-13, 12:22 PM
Thanks Jay!

Yeah, the Ferrari is all over the news. At least it's only a California ;) Reports say the dude was on the way to the airport to fly to Ottawa for a business meeting. When the car stalled and water rose, he nonchalantly decided it was totalled anyway, walked away, and caught his flight.

The storm was rough. Manhole covers popping off was the worst - guy in front of me lost his oil pan. Another car (you can see it on cp24.com caught an open manhole and almost flipped. It sat partially submerged at a 45 degree angle, ass up in the air..

This just reinforces my need for a daily driver.. Looks like a used CTS is in the cards ;)

outsider
07-09-13, 12:53 PM
I just bought a used CTS and I'm loving it! it's an 05 so atleast it's RWD :)

Cadillacboy
07-09-13, 04:00 PM
You are alright that counts :) I believe so is your car , you may also hear some squeaking brakes , years ago it happened to me on our Fleetwood it was not a fraction of what it did happen , these cars are really robust ones assuming your car will be none the worse for it .
Recently I read a catastrophic engine failure , "hydrolocking" from massive torrential rain That engine was killed and the car was totalled