: 94 Fleetwood Hearse came home today!

Faith76
07-08-13, 11:47 PM

The whole family had to try it out. The cat even made himself comfy in there at one point. He jumped right in like it was his to begin with. I wish my phone hadn't died before I got a picture of that!

Right now it's got a cracked windshield, the AC is broken, the windows don't go down, and you have to jump start it before it will go anywhere and after you turn it off.. Some smoke blowing through exhaust, the list goes on. This should be a fun and educational summer project for us!
She doesn't even have a name yet....

turbojimmy
07-09-13, 08:17 AM
Congrats! Looks like it's in nice shape. The windshield might be tough to find - scour your local salvage yards.

Faith76
07-10-13, 11:59 AM
We can't get the windows down. Any clue on where in the panel the fuses are for them? Or any other ideas?

The-Dullahan
07-17-13, 04:41 AM
Fantastic. 90's Cadillacs are hardly my cup of tea though, so I cannot help with the fuse location. A good idea would be to grab a FSM for your year. Won't help with the custom bits that S&S built, but for things like the front windows not going down, it will.

I have recently experienced a very similar car myself, actually. Also an S&S. It has been for salw for quite a while. They are asking 10k for theirs. I'd say you got a good deal.

http://www.2040cars.com/Cadillac/Fleetwood/1996-s-amp-s-conversion-hearse-1-owner-only-31k-miles-excellent-condition--389301/

cadillac kevin
07-17-13, 09:25 AM
We can't get the windows down. Any clue on where in the panel the fuses are for them? Or any other ideas?

My guess....bad window motors or bad switches/ broken wires. If you have a mulitmeter or test lamp, check for power at the switch. If you have power there, go to the junction box and test for power at the appropriate socket. The junction box is located on the passengers side behind the kick panel on my 86. The FSM says which wires do what (at least mine does)

turbojimmy
07-17-13, 09:54 AM
My driver's side window occasionally does not react when I hit the switch. If I hit the door panel with my fist (pretty hard) at the top corner (kind of opposite the side mirror) it will work again.

turbojimmy
07-24-13, 01:41 PM
How many miles are on that? I came across a '94 hearse locally that I'm trying to put a value on. If you look in Craigslist, people are asking stupid money for them. Yours seemed very reasonably priced so I'm going to use that as a benchmark :)

The-Dullahan
07-24-13, 04:16 PM
The only times I see these sell for anything more than a couple thousand is when they are literally "like new".

Even then, the $10k being asked for in the link I posted above for the '96 is far more than ANY 1996 Cadillac should ever be expected to sell for.

Since Sedans are so much more common than Commercial Chassis, my opinion of them is reflected the same. Since I could expect a '96 Hearse in good (but not immaculate) shape to sell for between $1,500 and $2,000 on the high end, anyone asking more than that for a '93-'96 Sedan in good shape is (in my book) completely out of their mind. They should remove a zero from their listed price.

A '93-'96 Fleetwood would probably make a fun beater though. I recall a fellow out in Nevada who had four of them for sale. I test drove one of them and it was fun. Still consider buying one day to fill that purpose. At the same time though, I feel the same car, as a Hearse, is a far more practical car. Wouldn't fit in a garage, no, but as a beater. I'd probably never even clean the thing, nonetheless worry about garaging it.

Faith76
07-24-13, 04:18 PM
70K. The seller was asking over 7 thousand for it. We paid 650 bucks! My BF happened to run into him at work and the guy buys and sells used hearses. He just wanted it out of his way, liked us (thought we'd give it a good home) and practically gave it to us. So, I'm not sure what we paid is a good benchmark.

How many miles are on that? I came across a '94 hearse locally that I'm trying to put a value on. If you look in Craigslist, people are asking stupid money for them. Yours seemed very reasonably priced so I'm going to use that as a benchmark :)

turbojimmy
07-24-13, 04:20 PM
I'm thinking sub-$1k for the one I'm looking at. Needs paint, tires, and gawd knows what else.

jamespowers
07-24-13, 07:41 PM
I'm thinking sub-$1k for the one I'm looking at. Needs paint, tires, and gawd knows what else.And you as a new owner. :p

The-Dullahan
07-24-13, 09:24 PM
It fascinates me that (since moving to Florida) Hearses are so scarce as private vehicles. In fact, I think everyone should own a few.

Seems to be a local cultural/superstitious thing. A good many people are absolutely terrified of mine. One of the mechanics at my shop will actually refuse to even go near mine (not even touch the keys).

Naturally, we torment him with it every chance we get, such as parking it in front of his car, so he cannot leave work. Another time we opened a fresh pair of pallbearer's gloves (I still own several dozen pairs of these that came with my car) and managed to convince him to put them on. After a few moments, we told him of their origins.

Anyhow, Jim, I completely advocate that you purchase a Hearse. We need more normal people around here.

turbojimmy
07-24-13, 11:55 PM
It fascinates me that (since moving to Florida) Hearses are so scarce as private vehicles. In fact, I think everyone should own a few.

Seems to be a local cultural/superstitious thing. A good many people are absolutely terrified of mine. One of the mechanics at my shop will actually refuse to even go near mine (not even touch the keys).

Naturally, we torment him with it every chance we get, such as parking it in front of his car, so he cannot leave work. Another time we opened a fresh pair of pallbearer's gloves (I still own several dozen pairs of these that came with my car) and managed to convince him to put them on. After a few moments, we told him of their origins.

Anyhow, Jim, I completely advocate that you purchase a Hearse. We need more normal people around here.

Eh, I'm not superstitious. It's metal, plastic and glass. It hauled bodies around. To me, it's a 2WD regular cab pickup truck with a cap. But it's lacking the ground clearance of a truck making it a bit less practical. But the freak-people-out factor makes it a bit more attractive. And it's a Cadillac. What more could you ask for?

Faith76
07-25-13, 12:12 AM
And you can make your hippie friends sleep in it when their tents get wet!

The-Dullahan
07-25-13, 09:03 AM
I've slept in dozens of Hearses over the years.

Never in a tent.

jamespowers
07-25-13, 02:14 PM
I've slept in dozens of Hearses over the years.

Never in a tent.

And:

A.) You are not The Tall Man and B.) you are still alive to tell about it. :p

The-Dullahan
07-25-13, 04:44 PM
Precisely what I am is in constant debate by society as a whole.

As for being alive, I can say with all honesty, more people I know would tell you I am not than those who would say I am. I've lost concern with keeping an opinion about it, myself.

jamespowers
07-25-13, 05:49 PM
Precisely what I am is in constant debate by society as a whole.

As for being alive, I can say with all honesty, more people I know would tell you I am not than those who would say I am. I've lost concern with keeping an opinion about it, myself.

Now you are sounding like The Tall Man. :p
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQhkO1y_pwS1h85ODd4JV1X7hUQGatpf gfsO-f_4peEc3j8GQuthQ
If you respond back with the word Boy then I am going to be scared. :p

The-Dullahan
07-28-13, 01:43 AM
Honestly, I have never seen that film, Boyo. And I certainly do not call people "boy".

In fact, I only know of it because a Horror Magazine/Blog somehow acquired a photograph of my Hearse while at the market and two friends of mine have subscriptions to it, so it was not long before I was contacted about it. Spooling through the comments, there were many people referencing who kept merely commenting "The Tall Man!" or "PHANTASM!"

jamespowers
07-28-13, 05:45 PM
Honestly, I have never seen that film, Boyo. And I certainly do not call people "boy".

In fact, I only know of it because a Horror Magazine/Blog somehow acquired a photograph of my Hearse while at the market and two friends of mine have subscriptions to it, so it was not long before I was contacted about it. Spooling through the comments, there were many people referencing who kept merely commenting "The Tall Man!" or "PHANTASM!"

Boyo is close enough. :p

If you drive a hearse then you have to know about Phantasm. :p It makes it easier when people refer to it. Then you have comebacks. :p
A few hearse scenes in here:

http://youtu.be/w-J_UG07Hs0

Faith76
07-28-13, 09:22 PM
I don't know anything about Phantasm either. Have you seen Harold and Maude? There is a creepy hearse movie.

The-Dullahan
07-28-13, 09:47 PM
I have, actually. Mostly only because I own an identical car to Harold's in PA.

Faith76
07-28-13, 11:47 PM
It's gross!

The-Dullahan
07-29-13, 12:51 AM
Sorry you feel that way. I grew up thinking everyone owned a 1959 Cadillac. My Mum always had a few. Learned to drive in one of them (the same one that I now have sitting in a warehouse in Pennsylvania)

By my twenties, I learned most people did not own such cars (and more often than not, not even anything of similar vintage) and while this still confuses me, I have come to learn that apparently, '59 Cadillacs are highly desired among collectors. I suppose that's pretty neat.

talismandave
07-29-13, 08:10 AM
^^^^This Faith!

Do you see now what you are doing to your kids?:ill:

The Dullahan is a cautionary tale about raising you kids in a hearse!:D

Faith76
07-29-13, 06:50 PM
I meant the MOVIE was gross. With the kid and the old lady making out and all.

Sorry you feel that way. I grew up thinking everyone owned a 1959 Cadillac. My Mum always had a few. Learned to drive in one of them (the same one that I now have sitting in a warehouse in Pennsylvania)

By my twenties, I learned most people did not own such cars (and more often than not, not even anything of similar vintage) and while this still confuses me, I have come to learn that apparently, '59 Cadillacs are highly desired among collectors. I suppose that's pretty neat.

----------

^^^^This Faith!

Do you see now what you are doing to your kids?:ill:

The Dullahan is a cautionary tale about raising you kids in a hearse!:D

But yeah I see your point