: 1987 won't shift into 2nd until it warms up!

fjl248
07-08-13, 11:11 PM
The Car is a 1987 Allante with 137,000 miles, 4.1 L engine . It will not shift from 1st to 2nd until I drive itslowly
for about a half of a mile (longer in cold weather). Then it shifts perfectly. I have had transmission fluid changed.
This is an ongoing problem. Any advice will be appreciated

carnut
07-09-13, 04:22 PM
I would make sure the TV cable from the transmission to the throttle pivot is adjusted correctly 1st. A cable adjusted too short will delay the shifts especially when the fluid is cold. Any trans shop can do it in about 10 min. You release a collar lock on the cable at the bracket it attaches to, then rotate the throttle to wide open. The TV cable should extend to seek its proper length and you re lock the collar.

Aztec ETC ECS
07-12-13, 04:50 PM
I would make sure the TV cable from the transmission to the throttle pivot is adjusted correctly 1st. A cable adjusted too short will delay the shifts especially when the fluid is cold. Any trans shop can do it in about 10 min. You release a collar lock on the cable at the bracket it attaches to, then rotate the throttle to wide open. The TV cable should extend to seek its proper length and you re lock the collar.
It's been a while since I opened one of these, but I seem to remember it having shift solenoids unlike the regular 440's. Correct?

carnut
07-12-13, 09:23 PM
My point was to verify the external adjustment is correct as an aid in diagnosis.

Aztec ETC ECS
07-14-13, 11:50 AM
I was asking. Are they solenoid controlled? I think they are.

carnut
07-14-13, 03:04 PM
Yes they are. And are specific to an 87 Allante.