Kennyw418
07-08-13, 10:13 PM
06 STS V6
Anyone using K&N Air filter.
Pros?
Cons?

chazglenn3
07-08-13, 10:14 PM
I have one in my car. Pro: Never have to buy another air filter. Con: Have to clean it when it gets dirty. That's it. I have perceived no increase in power or intake noise. YMMV

MoistCabbage
07-08-13, 10:17 PM
Con: Potential to let more dirt by.
Con: Over oiling can damage MAF sensor.

dkozloski
07-08-13, 10:23 PM
Several tests have shown that the OEM filter is the most efficient available.

mckellyb
07-08-13, 10:55 PM
Pro: Purchase it one time, less waste all around (both money and resources)

Con: You have to clean it, periodically

1BadCadSTS
07-09-13, 07:39 AM
Con: Potential to let more dirt by.
Con: Over oiling can damage MAF sensor.

Doesn't "damage" the maf. Oil from the filter fouls it requiring cleaning at times but its far from ruined.

Loren
07-09-13, 03:35 PM
I put one on my 08 STS V6 a couple of years ago, take care to insure the air box is put back together correctly, if you hear that cool intake roar, it's not completely connected. It has to be cleaned and re-oiled every 50,000 miles. I haven't noticed any change at all in performance, just don't have to replace it periodically. Make sure service shops don't do you a favor and replace it during an oil change or other service. I found that the best price is at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000O0JPVQ/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new with free shipping versus the price at K&N
http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=33-2356

MoistCabbage
07-09-13, 04:24 PM
Doesn't "damage" the maf. Oil from the filter fouls it requiring cleaning at times but its far from ruined.

Some MAF designs have the hot wire concealed in a tiny duct or orricice, and not easily cleanable, if at all. In this case, "damaged" may be the wrong word, but it still necessitates replacement of the MAF.

Submariner409
07-09-13, 06:39 PM
A K&N air filter in ANY car is good for at least 2.7 hp at idle. (Not worth a hoot any other time.) Same with their oil filters - made by Champion Labs, the same group that makes about 8 'brands' of aftermarket and OEM filters.

BaTu
07-10-13, 10:31 AM
PLUS ALL those "gauze & oil" filters end-up letting Way TOO Much Dirt into the engine. It's a dumb move.....

MikesCaddy06
07-10-13, 10:29 PM
One of the first things I do when I buy a new car is replace the factory air filter. I always have and always will buy nothing else than a K&N air filter. I notice slight changes in performance, and even better gas mileage!! They clean up pretty fast and you never have to replace them!!! I would highly recommend a K&N air filter for every car out there.........it just doesnt get much better!!

MoistCabbage
07-10-13, 10:49 PM
Have any dyno results or drag strip time slips to verify the performance gain?

How many tanks of fuel did you go through under identical conditions to calculate gas mileage improvements?

MikesCaddy06
07-10-13, 11:05 PM
Not just with my Cadillac....I have used K&N air filters on ALL my cars. And I can noticeably feel a difference. Maybe its just me, but i believe you get what you pay for. which would you prefer.....a $10 replacement air filter, that you have to replace? Or a $55 K&N air filter? Your paying for quality and I believe nothing else belongs in my STS but a K&N air filter.

MoistCabbage
07-10-13, 11:19 PM
"Butt dyno" results mean nothing. You're not paying for quality, you're paying for the name. Do you really think there's $50+ worth of cotton gauze and stainless mesh in one of those filters? They can let more dirt into the engine, that's far from the best, since filtering the air is an air filters' only job.

dkozloski
07-10-13, 11:20 PM
Hold a K&N up to the light. You can see right through it. The dirt isn't even slowed down during its trip to your engine. The biggest factor in the longevity of the modern internal combustion engine is the invention of the pleated paper intake air filter. The largest share of the time your engine operates at part throttle and any restriction in airflow doesn't even come into play. If anybody claims a gas milage increase by changing the air filter they are being delusional.

Guy.Seminerio
07-10-13, 11:22 PM
Does the defendant have any proof that they let more dirt into the engine?

MoistCabbage
07-10-13, 11:43 PM
Does the defendant have any proof that they let more dirt into the engine?Absolutely:

Testand Corp of Rhode Island performed a ISO 5011 Test of several filters for a Duramax diesel.

The ISO 5011 Standard (formerly SAE J726) defines a precise filter test using precision measurements under controlled conditions. Temperature & humidity of the test dust and air used in the test are strictly monitored and controlled.

Here are the efficiency results:

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m538/moistcabbage/2B14EA9B-7F9A-4C2F-B3D5-1DD4676308F8-993-000000F489D1EA16_zpsfac3daa8.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/moistcabbage/media/2B14EA9B-7F9A-4C2F-B3D5-1DD4676308F8-993-000000F489D1EA16_zpsfac3daa8.jpg.html)

The K&N also plugged up 3 times faster than the AC Delco.

Guy.Seminerio
07-11-13, 01:24 AM
Haha wow. Case closed.

carter's_sts
07-11-13, 10:10 AM
I had one in my V6 for about a year, then went back to a regular one because I realized it was pointless and a waste of time (the cleaning, re-oiling).

BaTu
07-11-13, 10:41 AM
I notice slight changes in performance, and even better gas mileage!!

There's an old, universally accepted, axiom (might have come from Smokey) that in the seat-of-your-pants, you can't "feel" less than a 10% performance improvement.

dkozloski's "delusional" comment is perfect! :)

Submariner409
07-11-13, 11:21 AM
It's curious that GM never took advantage of this performance and fuel mileage change to get better advertising figures and better CAFE specs.

(The K&N sticker is where the real horsepower is - especially when stuck on the RR passenger window so the ricer driver sees it at stoplights.)

The "arguments" for using oil wetted filters are laughable ..........

dkozloski
07-11-13, 01:48 PM
There's an old, universally accepted, axiom (might have come from Smokey) that in the seat-of-your-pants, you can't "feel" less than a 10% performance improvement.

dkozloski's "delusional" comment is perfect! :)The quote is from "Stroker McGurk" which was a monthly cartoon with McGurkisms in Hot Rod magazine. The one I liked best is, "If a little is good, more is better, and too much is barely enough". Sub409 is partial to, "If it don't go, chrome it".
K&N built their reputation with wetted foam filters for dirt bikes. They worked better than the alternates for the time. If your bike was outside when it rained, you were going nowhere until you took the filter off and wrang it out. I quickly reverted to paper filters on my 810cc Dunstall Norton.

MoistCabbage
07-11-13, 01:57 PM
Yes, they have their place in powersports and offroad.

dkozloski
07-11-13, 02:17 PM
The K&N dirt bike filters had a foam rubber element that was wetted with motor oil. AC made a similar filter for aircraft to replace Donaldson filters that were constructed like the current K&N wire and flock. The foam element was never to be cleaned and reused on the AC filters because they were wetted with a special proprietery fluid, only replaced.
The air filters on heavy construction equipment with engines that may cost $100,000 or more have pleated paper filters and may consist of three or more filter elements, one inside the other. Those barrel sized filters you see on 18 wheelers contain multiple nested paper filters. The idea of oil wetted flock filters seems plausible. Too bad it doesn't work.

EChas3
07-12-13, 09:43 PM
The AC filter appears to be treated with some substance; it's kinda tacky, like nearly dry paint.