: 89 Brougham Transmission leak!!!

reelheavy
07-08-13, 07:35 PM
As you guys already know I put another engine in my caddy. But I have been have a very bad transmission leak. After I fill it and drive and come back home within about 4-5 hours it has leaked out damn near every drop of transmission fluid. I checked all the bolts and they are all tight and but there still is a leak I filled it today at 10:30 am and at 530 pm today there was a puddle in my garage. Could it be the pan gasket?? should I try some transmission stop leak and see if that does the trick???

csbuckn
07-08-13, 07:45 PM
If its completely empty, I'd suspect a cracked tranny pan. The leak would have to be very low to drain all the fluid in the pan. Should be easy to see if you watch while someone pours. Get a clean pan underneath it so you can reuse the fluid.

reelheavy
07-08-13, 07:50 PM
If its completely empty, I'd suspect a cracked tranny pan. The leak would have to be very low to drain all the fluid in the pan. Should be easy to see if you watch while someone pours. Get a clean pan underneath it so you can reuse the fluid.

Could it still leak from the front main seal even if the car is not running???

csbuckn
07-08-13, 07:59 PM
It wouldnt be drained almost empty if it was the front seal. I dont think it would drain much with the car off.

cadillac_al
07-09-13, 11:25 AM
Forget the stop leak, you have to get under the car with some rags and wipe it down and find the exact point of the leak. It could be a line or it could be the pan gasket, could be something nobody has heard of. It sounds like it will be easy to find. I don't think GM still used cork gaskets in 89 did they?

jayoldschool
07-09-13, 01:06 PM
I doubt it drains the whole thing. A trans holds a LOT of fluid. There are only a few spots a trans can leak with the car off. The front pump seal only leaks with the car on (ask me how I know). So, you need to look at: pan, tailshaft seal, cooler lines. I have found that the pan bolts will loosen over time.

Aztec ETC ECS
07-09-13, 06:33 PM
Pump bushing spins and goes into the seal. Most common cause of major leak.

Also, if you make the pan bolts too tight the gasket will break.

Check cooling lines, too.

No stop leak! Internal seals will swell up like a sponge.

reelheavy
07-20-13, 10:24 AM
Changed the pan gasket yesterday, woke up this morning to another puddle of trans. fluid.

reelheavy
07-20-13, 10:56 AM
It seems to me that my issue is around the rim of the pan I seem to be getting small droplets from around the rim of the pan. All the bolts are tight, but not extremely tight. Could I use permatex for the outside of the pan to see if that solves my problem???