: Here come the gas price hikes

Submariner409
07-08-13, 04:37 PM
Keep an eye on the oil futures ............ climbing every 6 hours now - Egypt is driving the price paranoia.

http://online.wsj.com/mdc/public/page/mdc_commodities.html?mod=mdc_topnav_2_3000

http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_gastemperaturemap.aspx

vincentm
07-08-13, 05:04 PM
the West is getting ass raped, why is the south not seeing such prices?

RippyPartsDept
07-08-13, 05:15 PM
state tax rates per gallon

south carolina has only 16.8 cents per gallon going to the state while NC has 37.8 cents per gallon going to the state

that right there drops the price of gas 21 cents just by crossing the border

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_taxes_in_the_United_States

ben.gators
07-08-13, 06:53 PM
Keep an eye on the oil futures ............ climbing every 6 hours now - Egypt is driving the price paranoia.

I have no idea why an incident in Egypt should increase the gas prices?! Egypt even doesn't have oil! There are some guys in oil business that love to increase the prices and it seems that they use every single possible excuse to do it! A conflict, war or an incident in the middle-east? Yeah, I am surprised! Say something new, it is thousands of years that there have been wars there and there will be wars in the future too....

The-Dullahan
07-08-13, 06:57 PM
Bring it on.

Submariner409
07-08-13, 07:03 PM
I have no idea why an incident in Egypt should increase the gas prices?! Egypt even doesn't have oil!

Ummm ................ Which country controls the Suez Canal - one of the largest petroleum transit points on earth ???

ben.gators
07-08-13, 07:44 PM
Ummm ................ Which country controls the Suez Canal - one of the largest petroleum transit points on earth ???
When I was posting it, I knew someone is going to mention this! But still, I don't see a large correlation between demonstrations in Cairo and gas prices in Honolulu. There are international treaties for Suez Canal, and no part of the conflict in Egypt wants to drop the treaty.

Ranger
07-08-13, 09:03 PM
The evening news just reported that many states (eastern I think) where approaching (and may break) the $3.00/Gal. mark. Illinois is not one of them. :annoyed:

MoistCabbage
07-08-13, 09:43 PM
You mean $4.00?

basscatt
07-08-13, 09:46 PM
Which country controls the Suez Canal -
one of the largest petroleum transit points on earth
and how much of OUR oil goes through it?
-------------------

northern suburbs of Minneapolis - $3.24/gal -
as of 8:30PM -

but WE really got HOSED a few months ago -
it was up to as high as $4.49/gal -

the excuses were:
"spring cleaning" at the local refinery - "summer fuel" -
Illinois refinery shut down for "spring cleaning" -
it was cloudy - it was rainy - it was sunny -
just the usual BS -

thebigjimsho
07-08-13, 10:14 PM
I was wondering why it jumped $.11 in one day...

Faith76
07-08-13, 10:28 PM
We were almost down to 3.00 on the reservation, but I drove through today and saw it back up to 3.28. It's around 3.50 otherwise.

truckinman
07-08-13, 11:42 PM
Today I paid 3.39 for it when last week I got it for 3.12.

77CDV
07-09-13, 12:06 AM
In other breaking news, the sky is blue and the sun will rise in the east and set in the west tomorrow. :bigroll: Still driving to Boston at the end of the month. :p

The-Dullahan
07-09-13, 01:06 AM
^This guy. This guy right here.

Fuel prices have never inconvenienced me in the past and I think it is safe to say that my Cadillac uses far more petroleum than...well, just about any of your tiny, little machines. It is a widely accepted fact that it uses three gallons just being parked with the engine off overnight (though unverified)

I'd love to tell you how much fuel is by me, but I do not have the slightest idea. Never bother paying attention to the prices, because whether it is cheap or not, I still use it.

Swipe card.
Fill tank.
Repeat every other day. (multiplied by number of vehicles you own)

I really don't understand the whole MPG consternation. If you are upset about how much a product costs, do not purchase it.

Here's to $10.00 per gallon by 2014. :cloud9:
Wouldn't that be something? Think of the traffic we may avoid.

CadillacLuke24
07-09-13, 01:32 AM
^This guy. This guy right here.

Fuel prices have never inconvenienced me in the past and I think it is safe to say that my Cadillac uses far more petroleum than...well, just about any of your tiny, little machines. It is a widely accepted fact that it uses three gallons just being parked with the engine off overnight (though unverified)

I'd love to tell you how much fuel is by me, but I do not have the slightest idea. Never bother paying attention to the prices, because whether it is cheap or not, I still use it.

Swipe card.
Fill tank.
Repeat every other day. (multiplied by number of vehicles you own)

I really don't understand the whole MPG consternation. If you are upset about how much a product costs, do not purchase it.

Here's to $10.00 per gallon by 2014. :cloud9:
Wouldn't that be something? Think of the traffic we may avoid.

Can I have a grant Daddy Warbucks?

MoistCabbage
07-09-13, 01:47 AM
I never pay attention to gas prices either. The only time I even look, is if I'm giving someone a ride, and need to do a rough calculation of how much they owe me.

My father gets a $.10 per gallon discount on BJ's gas for being a member. The closest BJ's is more than 5 miles, and ~15 minutes from his house. There are 4 gas stations within 2 minutes of his house. He drives to BJ's even if his destination is in the complete opposite direction...

It would be more understandable if he drove a lot, or his car wasn't efficient, but he has a '93 Accord, and has only put ~50K on it in the last 10 years. :noidea:

vincentm
07-09-13, 02:45 AM
I keep a gas stash about so that can drive my caddy until the wheels fall off, i dont let her get below half a tank

The-Dullahan
07-09-13, 03:49 AM
Can I have a grant Daddy Warbucks?

I don't give grants. Handouts breed laziness.

My kids and I carry these little plastic cards, specifically for fuel purchases.

This however does not make me like plastic any more. The magnetic strip on mine has decayed years ago and barely works. I refuse to replace it. Never had that problem with cash.

The benefit is that I can just buy and buy fuel until the tank is full instead of having to know the cost of fuel and doing the math at the in-store register. However, many local pay-at-the-pump stations cut off at seventy-five dollars anyhow, so sometimes, I cannot quite fill my tank.

Ranger
07-09-13, 10:33 AM
You mean $4.00?
No I meant $3.00. The news report said gas prices on their way down and several states may break the $3.00 mark this summer.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505123_162-57579416/gasoline-prices-extend-slide/
http://blogs.ajc.com/business-beat/2012/06/22/expect-gas-prices-to-fall-below-3/

Submariner409
07-09-13, 12:41 PM
Yep ^^^ - Strange - this morning regular was $3.439 around here (up 13 this week), $3.299 in Mt.Pleasant, SC (near Charleston) and going down.

CadillacLuke24
07-09-13, 04:00 PM
I don't give grants. Handouts breed laziness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu_wXpCMADU

basscatt
07-09-13, 04:20 PM
$3.24 last night -

some Egyptian farted -

and $3.41 today -

CadillacLuke24
07-09-13, 05:18 PM
$3.24 last night -

some Egyptian farted -

and $3.41 today -

Yup. $3.42 here last night, $3.42 this morning at 5, and $3.53 at 1:25 p.m.

talismandave
07-09-13, 07:07 PM
$3.34 at Costco today. Still hasn't hit us.

The-Dullahan
07-10-13, 03:18 AM
Oh, you Poor Things.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff29/The-Dullahan/FuelEconomy_zps6f5c01b3.jpg

I will admit however, some of you may recall that I did own an Economy Car once (Before it got blown to bits). Never calculated it exactly, but it was factory-rated at 10 MPG (on high octane) and was very well maintained, so it was probably still in double-digits.

Submariner409
07-10-13, 09:06 AM
Oh, you Poor Things.

Oh, bullcrap - Everything around you this morning is $3.32 to $3.50. (Yes, downtown Orlando is higher, but .............)

cadillac kevin
07-10-13, 10:21 AM
I'm gonna guess some idiot punched in the price backwards.

vincentm
07-10-13, 11:29 AM
3.68 here

EcSTSatic
07-10-13, 01:04 PM
There's a Phillips (they bought out a Valero) close to my house that consistently charges around 10% more than a station just around the corner and another one 1/2 mile down the same road. And people still buy gas there. I don't get it. The lower priced Kwik Shop and Quik Trip have more pumps and has the usual convenience store fare.
You make your money twice: when you earn it and when you spend it.

Faith76
07-10-13, 01:26 PM
There is a gas station off the NY State thruway that is literally .25 miles from the reservation. I don't understand why people pay 40 cents more a gallon instead of going over the darn bridge. DERP! I don't even need gas, but I'm going to a cruise in there tonight, so will top off.

The-Dullahan
07-10-13, 03:56 PM
Oh, bullcrap - Everything around you this morning is $3.32 to $3.50. (Yes, downtown Orlando is higher, but .............)

I am guessing you do not quite understand the area that is "around me". Also, while I am not positive, I think last time I purchased fuel it was 3.70-something for regular. I was purchasing High Octane at the time, which I suspect was therefore $4+ per gallon.

I do not normally purchase fuel in Orlando, myself. Can't say anything about the prices there or in the cities immediately surrounding it. Regardless, that is in Florida. Lately, most of my fuel has not been purchased in Florida, due to...well, not being there.

Boulder City, Nevada (Which according to my bank is the last place I purchased fuel) is up to between 3.70-something and 3.90-something for regular, according to a quick Google search. Again, this means high Octane has certainly broken $4.00 per gallon this week.

----------

I'm gonna guess some idiot punched in the price backwards.

That'd be cool. There is actually a separate story behind this, but I assure you, that price displayed was not an accident.

RippyPartsDept
07-10-13, 04:29 PM
That'd be cool. There is actually a separate story behind this, but I assure you, that price displayed was not an accident.

http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/5637/yj6v.jpg

77CDV
07-10-13, 05:31 PM
Regular is running about $4.10 here.

The-Dullahan
07-10-13, 05:34 PM
^See? You kids paying 3-something have it easy.

77CDV
07-10-13, 05:40 PM
It's not for nothing CA has the highest gas taxes in the nation. Well, judging by the state of our roads, it is for nothing, but that's another thread.

The-Dullahan
07-10-13, 05:47 PM
http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/5637/yj6v.jpg

Was meeting with one of my clients in Celebration (more or less, as it is actually an underground facility built there) as we (my group and his) had to discuss plans for an upcoming operation we were attempting to organize for the following month. This meeting ended up carrying on for around twelve hours and involved multiple trips, resulting in depleting the fuel supply in multiple of our vehicles (though not my Cadillac, honestly).

Anyhow, from there, we had to head outwards to Groveland to pick up two of my students, who it turns out would prove very vital in this most unique circumstance. Someplace on the outskirts of the Kissimmee area, we ended up stopping at a fuel station (for what was my third trip to one that day) that is essentially the only thing for many miles around on a long stretch of road. There was a neighbourhood to be built there as well, but I suppose that fell through, as the roadwork and streetlamps were put in, but no homes were ever built. Anyhow, none of us were paying attention to that sign until after we spoke with the attendant inside about the fuel situation. Turns out they were actually out of gasoline and nearly out of diesel (which was all good and well, as we needed diesel).

Anyhow, it is a bit difficult to explain without going into details better left unsaid, so if you're following thus far, long-story-short, we ended up leaving the station after spending someplace around $300 between the group of us, but not before I took advantage of the unique opportunity to acquire a photograph of that sign. The price was not punched in in reverse. I am actually not entirely sure who punches those in or how exactly they do it (I would imagine the same way we use our signs) but punching it in in reverse seems an impossible mistake to make.

thebigjimsho
07-10-13, 07:36 PM
When I had the V, I cared little about gas prices.

In the TC, its all-encompassing. Going up/down $.10 a gallon is about $400/year to me...

ThumperPup
07-11-13, 12:51 AM
Right around the corner from my house its 3.79 a gallon cash price and more with a credit card then about 40 minutes south if me near my school its 3.39 a gallon
I think its preatty messed up that in the same state and with in an hour if each other there are city's that gas cost .50 a gallon more and its even cheaper on the west coast of fl

ben.gators
07-11-13, 01:23 AM
Just filled up the tank for $4.44 per gallon (premium)!

The-Dullahan
07-11-13, 03:10 AM
^Pretty much what I suspect it is at the Clermont/Groveland borderline, where I normally would be getting fuel.

See, Craig and I are not the only ones.

RippyPartsDept
07-11-13, 08:57 AM
It's not for nothing CA has the highest gas taxes in the nation. Well, judging by the state of our roads, it is for nothing, but that's another thread.

going by the link that i posted back at the start of this thread NY has the highest fuel taxes ... just sayin'