: Check Power Steering System Warning

puddytat2tn
07-08-13, 12:58 PM
I have a 2006 STS. With my key fob and my husband's key fob we keep getting the warning to "check power steering system" and, of course, we then have no power steering. It does not do it all the time. Some times the power steering works fine and then other times it doesn't. We have checked the fluid and it is fine. Don't know what else to do other than to take it to the dealer and we just don't have the money for that. We love the car and hate not having the luxury of power steering. Anyone have any idea for us? Thanks. Lynda

Ludacrisvp
07-08-13, 01:47 PM
I thought I recalled reading that the STS was hard on the power steering pumps for the STS that did not get the "V series" ZF steering gear.
Chances are the pump is near its end of life and needs to be replaced.

Maybe?

I just had my 2006 sts in for servicing. The power steering assist stopped working and the DIC displayed "service steering system".
The dealership replaced the power steering solenoid two days ago. Today it happened again but this time I can't get it to reset. So now I'm driving it with the power steering assist inoperative. My concern is I now hear a barely audible whine coming from the engine compartment in front of the console. Sounds like a belt driving an inoperative pump.

Or:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2012/204622-power-steering-sh-ts-bed.html

The only good way to search this site is to open google and put in what I have below with what you are looking for after or before this string:

site:http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2012

That will limit you to only the Sigma STS.

EChas3
07-08-13, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the idea, Luda. I will try it.

I find a search on 'cadillac forums sts <whatever>' pretty effective just by looking at the 'hits' to find the most probable.

Guy.Seminerio
07-09-13, 12:54 AM
I google cadillacforums and then type in certain words. Like "cadillacforums sts check power steering system" if a bunch of cts crap comes up add "-cts" to the end of that.

malatu
07-09-13, 08:19 AM
I have a 2006 STS. With my key fob and my husband's key fob we keep getting the warning to "check power steering system" and, of course, we then have no power steering. It does not do it all the time. Some times the power steering works fine and then other times it doesn't. We have checked the fluid and it is fine. Don't know what else to do other than to take it to the dealer and we just don't have the money for that. We love the car and hate not having the luxury of power steering. Anyone have any idea for us? Thanks. Lynda

You are describing exactly the same symptoms I experienced a while back. To reset the system, all I had to do was turn the car off and restart. Eventually, restarting the car had no effect.

At first it was very intermittent but progressively got worse. In my case, a computer module needed replaced. The work was done under an extended warranty.

EChas3
07-10-13, 11:31 PM
I thought I recalled reading that the STS was hard on the power steering pumps for the STS that did not get the "V series" ZF steering gear.

I've read variations on this comment that suggest ZF-equipped cars also are prone to pump failures. I lost a hose, but that could easily have been encouraged by deep snow-rutted roads last Winter. AWD is fun!

So I efectively got a PS fluid change paid by the extended warranty. Now we shall see if I was quick enough adding fluid and getting to the shop.

1BadCadSTS
07-11-13, 08:19 AM
Had my pump replaced on my 1sg zf car at 38k miles.