: Anyone added a second hood strut?

mckellyb
07-08-13, 11:34 AM
My OEM hood strut is weak, and even when it's hot outside, the hood drops very slowly...to a point...then it slams shut.

Fortunately, my hand was not there when it happened, but it could very easily have been.

I ordered one strut, which'll work for a good while, however, GM put a second ball on the left fender for another strut, but there is only a threaded hole on the hood. Anyone add a second one? Seems like it'd be part of a cold weather package.

The 2002 vintage dual strut system on my wife's RX300 is just fine, even after 11 years, and it's not like adding a pound to the STS is going to make a difference in any performance. I can see the underhood plastic fender cover will require 'customization', but this shouldn't be all that difficult.

What may be, however, is finding that little ball on a bolt.

edit: Turns out, that ball on a bolt is about $3 from GMpartsdirect! Now, all I need is a second strut and to tweak the engine bay plastic.

I really dislike all the plastic in there. I can't imagine it does much good, though it may help with airflow control from the radiator. Now that it's summer, I may have to pull it all out, temporarily store it with the decorative engine and battery covers, and see if running temps change at all. I have an Ultra-Gauge, which reads to a tenth of a degree.

Only wish it read the transmission temp, but I don't know if the 2005 4.6L's transmission even has a temperature sender.

Ludacrisvp
07-08-13, 01:44 PM
I'm sure its 90% looks, 8% sound re-direction, 2% air flow control. (for the plastic)
I believe those are also optional anyways.
I only have 1 hood strut in my 08 awd n* performance cooling package, I've seen the spot for a second one and thought about it too.
Mine doesn't fall down at all.

ddalder
07-08-13, 02:05 PM
Although my STS was originally a US car, I've never had a problem with the single hood strut in hot or cold weather. It doesn't get as hot here as it does in many areas of the US, but it certainly gets cold in the winter. We definitely have temps as low as (and sometimes lower than) -40F/-40C. I had considered adding a second one as well, but I'm not interested in making mods to the plastics to do it.

dkozloski
07-08-13, 04:47 PM
It was explained to me by a GM engineer that the plastic is to reduce the noise from the VVT.