: Winter wheel size?

mfong
07-08-13, 10:44 AM
Hello,

I want to buy winter wheels for my wife's 2011 Escalade. When I was looking on Tire Rack's recommendations, they said to use to this tire size: 265/70R17. I was wonder if I could use the spare's black steel wheel for this tire size.

I found an eBay auction where I can buy 4 spare steel wheels at 17x7-1/2. The wheels suggested by Tire Rack has them at 17x8, will the 1/2 inch matter?

I don't have a preference on how the tires will look or how the wheel will look. I'm aiming for functionality because it's the winter.

Thanks in advanced. I think this is my first post on this forum. o/

pmexpert
07-08-13, 10:57 AM
Hello,

I want to buy winter wheels for my wife's 2011 Escalade. When I was looking on Tire Rack's recommendations, they said to use to this tire size: 265/70R17. I was wonder if I could use the spare's black steel wheel for this tire size.

I found an eBay auction where I can buy 4 spare steel wheels at 17x7-1/2. The wheels suggested by Tire Rack has them at 17x8, will the 1/2 inch matter?

I don't have a preference on how the tires will look or how the wheel will look. I'm aiming for functionality because it's the winter.

Thanks in advanced. I think this is my first post on this forum. o/

You you have snow in winter and temperature goes below -5F, I'd never recommend that, coz this kind of tires become like a plastic ones. Better to buy winter tires for your wife's safety.

mfong
07-08-13, 11:46 AM
You you have snow in winter and temperature goes below -5F, I'd never recommend that, coz this kind of tires become like a plastic ones. Better to buy winter tires for your wife's safety.

That's what I'm doing. I'm planning on buying winter tires at this size: 265/70R17 and the winter wheels will be the same as the spare wheel which is 17x17-1/2. Do you think the tire size that I indicated will fit on the wheel size?

----------

I found the answer. In the future if somebody finds this thread. The spare tire size is P265/70R17, which is exactly the same size as the winter tires I want to buy. I'm going to buy my wife the General Tire Altimax Arctic that will be mounted on the spare tire wheels.

Here is the website that I found the size from. I should have consulted my owner's manual, but I'm work =D

https://www.driverside.com/specs/cadillac-escalade-2013-30908-54062-0?style_id=134457

hcvone
07-10-13, 07:30 AM
I have been using 18's for my winter wheels, you can buy stock escalade wheels on ebay cheap, I run 275/65/18" duratrac tires because we get snow by the yard

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff389/hcvone/DSC_0116.jpg

mfong
07-10-13, 10:33 AM
I have been using 18's for my winter wheels, you can buy stock escalade wheels on ebay cheap, I run 275/65/18" duratrac tires because we get snow by the yard

Thanks for your reply. I think I got a good deal on a set of steel spare wheels. I bought it from eBay from hubcap heaven, they said it was reconditioned.

I used the wheel/tire size calculator and made sure my wife wouldn't lose any height. Now I'm going to buy some snow tires. My next question is either studded or not studded. I personally have studded tires for the winter, but I don't think I have utilized them. The only problem I have with studs on the General Altimax Arctic tires is that I feel like I'm floating on the highway.

I'll make my decision soon enough. We live on a flat street, but to get access to our street is by hill. I love going up the hill in my FWD car with snow tires on, while seeing other cars sliding backwards.

hcvone
07-10-13, 10:55 AM
Thanks for your reply. I think I got a good deal on a set of steel spare wheels. I bought it from eBay from hubcap heaven, they said it was reconditioned.

I used the wheel/tire size calculator and made sure my wife wouldn't lose any height. Now I'm going to buy some snow tires. My next question is either studded or not studded. I personally have studded tires for the winter, but I don't think I have utilized them. The only problem I have with studs on the General Altimax Arctic tires is that I feel like I'm floating on the highway.

I'll make my decision soon enough. We live on a flat street, but to get access to our street is by hill. I love going up the hill in my FWD car with snow tires on, while seeing other cars sliding backwards.

I could get steel rims for next to nothing thru our shop, but honestly it just made the truck WAY to ugly, that is why I used these, and I manufacturer wheels, but can't make them this cheap. ;) You have to watch the studs on wet roads, you may want to keep them off if your wife is driving the truck. JMO

gdirty5
07-10-13, 12:51 PM
Many places probably sell the factory 18's for next to nothing since most people with escalades have big wheels. Look on eBay and Craigslist.

mfong
07-10-13, 01:16 PM
Many places probably sell the factory 18's for next to nothing since most people with escalades have big wheels. Look on eBay and Craigslist.

I did look on both of those websites, they were selling at around $100 each. I found 4 reconditioned steel wheels for $225 with shipping.

sdgc
07-10-13, 06:18 PM
I own the 22" blizzaks and love them.. run like a tank. But you do have more options in smaller sizes. Just wante to let you know my 22" winter tire experience.

pmexpert
07-11-13, 12:46 AM
I own the 22" blizzaks and love them.. run like a tank. But you do have more options in smaller sizes. Just wante to let you know my 22" winter tire experience.

I bought the same tires. We can choose only between brdgestone and Toyo for R22 I think

the blur
07-19-13, 09:16 PM
Buy the 18" caddy wheels, and snow tires. Stay away from goodyear.

sdgc
07-20-13, 10:34 AM
Be cautious what you need them for... a good snow tire has different tread than a good ice tire.