: Headlight Installation Nightmare

confutatis
07-08-13, 10:26 AM
Hello to all,

I just had the "pleasure" of a 4-hour task to change two headlights on my 2006 Caddy STS. I won't even begin to tell you how aggravating a job it was to lower the bumper to get at those headlight assemblies. Once I was able to remove the assembly, changing the low beam bulb was a piece of cake, but trying to change the small parking light (I'm assuming it's the parking light) was next to impossible. I certainly don't have "Andre the Giant" hands to blame for my inability to get my hand into the assembly to lock the bulb in. Not even my wife's hands would fit in enough to get that damn bulb secured.

Was there a trick to getting thus bulb in? Has anyone changed these and how did you manage it? In the end, I simply just secured it the best I could and put the headlight assembly back in. I may never do that job again!

David

1BadCadSTS
07-08-13, 10:55 AM
I've replaced those little bulbs through the side access door on the headlamps while they were in the car with the bumper in all. While a pain I don't see how you would not be able to change them especially considering you have them removed from the car.

mckellyb
07-08-13, 11:30 AM
Yeah, those little bulbs are nasty.

I just got lucky and had one of the tabs break, on each one, when I touched it, so they pretty much fell out. I used some clear silicone sealant to put them back, after putting LEDs in there.

I did NOT want to take it apart a THIRD time.

confutatis
07-08-13, 12:55 PM
I got them out using a pair of pliers, so it's possible I damaged the tabs when I did that and maybe that made it impossible to screw back in. Either way, unless they fall out of their "seat", I'm just going to leave them alone....

Northridge
07-08-13, 02:17 PM
How did you manage to replace the "bullet" lamps without removing the bumper? I would love to replace my burned out lamps on my 08 with LED's, and I have already purchased the lamps, just not sure how to get to them. Love the car, but having bulbs that are nearly impossible to replace is just not a great design feature! - Thanks, Rob

chazglenn3
07-08-13, 09:11 PM
I broke the tabs on mine, too. Wrapped Scotch tape around the socket until I got a tight fit. I used LED bulbs too hoping to never have to do it again, but the cheap Chinese bulbs I bought didn't last a year. I replaced them with the OEM W5W bulbs.

1BadCadSTS
07-08-13, 11:08 PM
Pass side I pulled the fuse box drivers side pull the air box. Then you'll see the access door. 1 bolt and then with a lot of maneuvering with the ballast unhook the door shove your hand in and swap it.

Northridge
07-09-13, 08:43 AM
OK, Thanks. I'll give it a try.

1BadCadSTS
07-09-13, 08:46 AM
Had superbrights then vleds all after awhile had LEDs start to fail and flicker. Swapped to a set of new ats done lights which is a blue coated 194 bulb. Looks pretty good. I got pretty good and swapping them.

doowap57
07-09-13, 08:21 PM
Got mine from Cadillac, cost about $ 9.00 apiece,
but wanted them to match the color of the main Headlights !
No way, they have the color of incandescants.....PMO...

EChas3
07-11-13, 12:08 AM
Two STS over 150,000 miles combined with all OEM bulbs!!!

I may be tempting fate but Cadillac got the color match perfect on the OEM 'peanuts', etc.

Once you catch a wave, you've gotta ride it!

1BadCadSTS
07-11-13, 08:21 AM
Two STS over 150,000 miles combined with all OEM bulbs!!!

I may be tempting fate but Cadillac got the color match perfect on the OEM 'peanuts', etc.

Once you catch a wave, you've gotta ride it!

Both your cars are hid equipped though right? The life span of hids is almost 4xs longer than standard halogens.

Guy.Seminerio
07-11-13, 09:13 AM
Yeah but not those little dot parking lights.

EChas3
07-12-13, 08:14 PM
I have HID headlights but my wife has the standard halogens. It's all other bulbs I find surprising.