: Warranty options for 07 with 65k miles

Alden's Daddy
07-07-13, 08:44 PM
Any thoughts on available after market warranties before I buy my 07 STS 4 N*? Thanks all!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App (http://www.autoguide.com/mobile)

curtc
07-07-13, 10:31 PM
I bought a 3 year/36k aftermarket warranty through Ford when I purchased mine from the Ford dealership. IIRC it ran me over $2k but it has already paid for itself as I have had the rear pinion, and both rear axle seals replaced as well as a new starter at a Cadillac dealer...I've came out on top with mine but I know others who weren't as lucky.

EChas3
07-08-13, 01:26 AM
Dealers may make some money on warranties but the STS is an expensive car to repair; especially higher trim levels that are more fully equipped. CPO isn't quite the deal it once was and few STS qualify anymore. GM's corporate warranty is next best. Then come all the other plans only marketed through dealers; I've had several underwritten by Zurich and they have been great. Shop different dealers; it does not have to be the one that sold you the car.

After that, beware. There are rip-off artists and legitimate plans with little to tell the difference. Surprisingly, favor plans that list specific exclusions over those than list inclusions. In many cases, the inclusion disclosure technique leaves you with a warranty that only covers major stuff or a portion of common repairs.

In the long run, the warranty/insurance company always makes money. What yoiu are buying is freedom from the unexpected cost of a repair that might affect your lifestyle. If you can afford to put away $100 a month (and really do it) and fix most things yourself and/or use salvage parts, you can self-fund your extended warranty.

Ludacrisvp
07-08-13, 08:37 AM
Surprisingly, favor plans that list specific exclusions over those than list inclusions. In many cases, the inclusion disclosure technique leaves you with a warranty that only covers major stuff or a portion of common repairs.This is certainly truth spoken here.
I have a 3rd party service contract that has the list of "what we won't cover" and its a relatively short list when you consider all the things that can go wrong with the STS.
The big selling point of this type of contract over the other kind is that you will get caught on less technicalities as the "we only cover this" type of contract.
For example mine covers the MRC shocks whereas most won't.
This is basically due to the way that GM worded the part name and description, this makes it so that it doesn't fall under the "we wont fix this" section on my contract and makes it fall out of the "we will fix this" section on other contracts.
Basically GM can name things differently that can cause it to become covered more often in a contract that only excludes certain items, than the other way around.
Most contracts don't cover Laser adaptive cruise, but the STS uses RADAR so it is covered.

There was a thread about this a while back:
Extended Warranty Discussion (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2012/283505-extended-warranty-good-decision.html)

BaTu
07-08-13, 10:00 AM
I had Warranty Direct with my '97. They were very fair with me and spent @6K (including Head Gaskets, done the "right" way at the dealership) for a contract that I paid @$1,200 for.

When the GM warranty extension became no longer available for my '05 I went to WD and was AMAZED at how expensive it became. I chose Costco this time in the hopes that their attention to customer relations would be better than most, and it was a good deal to boot! We'll see what happens as I have to use it ;)

KRSTS
07-08-13, 10:07 AM
In the long run, the warranty/insurance company always makes money. What yoiu are buying is freedom from the unexpected cost of a repair that might affect your lifestyle. If you can afford to put away $100 a month (and really do it) and fix most things yourself and/or use salvage parts, you can self-fund your extended warranty.

I could easily "self fund" but the peace of mind is more important then the money to me.

Relate27
07-08-13, 10:29 AM
This is the policy that my credit union sold me.

http://www.mercuryinsurance.com/insurance-products/mechanical-breakdown-protection.html

BaTu
07-08-13, 04:47 PM
This is the policy that my credit union sold me.

http://www.mercuryinsurance.com/insurance-products/mechanical-breakdown-protection.html

You'd want to dig a whole lot deeper than what's on that page....

Most extensions are rip-offs. They have a dozen ways to deny your claims. RULE #1 is,,, tell me exactly everything you DO NOT cover, not what you do!