: Wheel weights?

dennych
07-07-13, 07:38 PM
Ok...

This might be a noob question but for reference this is my first car without plastic hubcaps ;)

I noticed these wheel weights for the first time on the inside of my rims (oddly I'd never recalled seeing them there) this morning before my trip from norcal to socal.

Is this normal? They seem to be in different configs. like the rear rights have 1 and the rear left has 3 in the picture below. And the front wheels have some odd hopscotch pattern...

Maybe I'm getting senile and paranoid but I swear after half a year of ownership this is the first time I've seen them.
Also looks like some yellow paint from the calipers is rubbing on them which can't be good?

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-eNP-7_GcWjw/Udn7Ip7V7lI/AAAAAAAAPpE/CmKszosEQoU/s720/20130707_065654.jpg

spearfish25
07-07-13, 08:06 PM
Every wheel tire combo needs weights for balancing. So, expected and normal. No two wheels will be the same either. It's more likely road grime than caliper paint. Clearance may be close but a caliper would knock the weight clean off if it hit.

Trapspeed
07-07-13, 08:09 PM
You're good. These rims do not support outer weights so inside is the only option. Even when I had a car with an actual rim lip I chose this type of balancing to keep the wheels from getting tore up. It's not quite as accurate as traditional balancing but it's good.

dennych
07-07-13, 08:19 PM
k thanks. I figured they were normal. The yellow markings and my senile blindness (I mean I have washed and detailed my car already multiple times) made me somewhat paranoid.

cruiser68
07-07-13, 08:47 PM
You're good. These rims do not support outer weights so inside is the only option. Even when I had a car with an actual rim lip I chose this type of balancing to keep the wheels from getting tore up. It's not quite as accurate as traditional balancing but it's good.

+1 I'd even say that the balance can be pretty spot on with these. I use the same stick on weights with tape over them on my track wheels. Up to 160mph and they are pretty darn smooth :)

Trapspeed
07-07-13, 09:25 PM
k thanks. I figured they were normal. The yellow markings and my senile blindness (I mean I have washed and detailed my car already multiple times) made me somewhat paranoid.

On a side note, they can be prone to coming off and aren't as easy to notice. If the ride starts to wobble get the balance checked.

spearfish25
07-08-13, 08:42 AM
Go to Home Depot and get some silver foil tape (not the heavy rubber-y duct tape, get the silver aluminum foil kind). Put some over each wheel weight and you'll never lose them. The foil tape will also reflect heat away from the weight to further protect the adhesive.

DCV
07-08-13, 09:14 AM
Most racing organizations require wheel weights to be taped over with duct tape. CCS and WERA require that for tech inspection of bikes.