: APR splitter available

crankedupforit
07-07-13, 07:09 PM
Ran across this on Ebay from Sean Southland and his group. APR is well known and good stuff.
Good price as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/APR-Performance-Carbon-Fiber-Front-Wind-Splitter-fits-2004-2007-CTS-V-/251295979743?pt=Race_Car_Parts&hash=item3a826858df&vxp=mtr

RyRidesMotoX
07-07-13, 07:29 PM
That's pretty sweet.

jclayc
07-07-13, 07:30 PM
wow, i'm probably going to have to get one - that's 1/2 of the price on their site for a "custom" CF splitter

FuzzyLogic
07-07-13, 08:03 PM
We've known about the APR splitters for years. It's an overpriced, ugly, incomplete kit (you'll have to supply your own mounting hardware to finish the job). I can get a piece of ABS plastic (because that's what the APR unit is--NOT carbon fiber) and cut it in that shape for a lot less.

This is a quality splitter:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CTS-V-Splitter-Spoiler-for-2009-2013-Cadillac-V-Series-3M-Di-Noc-Wrapped-/171069951285?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27d4904d35

We need a better option.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
07-07-13, 09:02 PM
^I don't think I've ever seen this offering before. These are the same guys that offer lexan replacements, TD wheels, etc.

crankedupforit
07-07-13, 09:16 PM
Me either. I came across it in the performance and racing parts on Ebay not the CTS V parts listing.

AAIIIC
07-08-13, 08:45 AM
We've known about the APR splitters for years.
The generic, universal APR has been available for years, but as the others have said, I haven't seen one specifically cut to the V's shape before.

It's an overpriced, ugly, incomplete kit (you'll have to supply your own mounting hardware to finish the job).
Ugly? :confused: What does a pretty splitter look like? All of the real, no kidding, functional splitters I've seen look the same. If you're looking for something to make the car pretty, then I don't think you're looking for a splitter. And the fact that you have to mount it yourself isn't any different than any other real, no kidding, functional splitter.

I can get a piece of ABS plastic (because that's what the APR unit is--NOT carbon fiber) and cut it in that shape for a lot less.

This is a quality splitter:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CTS-V-Splitter-Spoiler-for-2009-2013-Cadillac-V-Series-3M-Di-Noc-Wrapped-/171069951285?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27d4904d35
Wait a second here! Did you seriously just bitch about the APR splitter, and then post an example of a "quality splitter" that is nothing more than a styling accessory made of foam wrapped in 3M Di-Noc?!

:rofl: :rofl:

Junior1
07-08-13, 09:49 AM
Spoke to Sean about these last week. Saves me the time of tracing and measuring. I'll post pictures when it gets here...

jclayc
07-08-13, 10:01 AM
if this isn't carbon fiber, they need to edit item title b/c it says Carbon Fiber

another option I'm considering is using Alumalite, which I think is around $200 for a 2'x8' sheet...

FuzzyLogic
07-08-13, 10:18 AM
Spoke to Sean about these last week. Saves me the time of tracing and measuring. I'll post pictures when it gets here...

It doesn't even fit properly. You'd be better off making your own.

RyRidesMotoX
07-08-13, 11:20 AM

Man you are on a roll these last few with manufacturers of stuff lol.

DrSpeed
07-08-13, 11:39 AM
Pretty - are you talking about how the piece is vacuum formed and sealed?

And where do the structs that run through the lower grille attach to ?

Junior1
07-08-13, 12:14 PM
where do the structs that run through the lower grille attach to ?

That was my concern as well. The supports are attached to the lower grille on Sean's car. But he says that it mounted up solidly. I know D3 is running the same splitter on their Gen 1 with the supports mounted to the inside of the bumper which looks more ridgid to me. I'll see what needs to get fabbed once its in hand...

http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/m/m2-upCXFWhqrsm2aprhZe4Q/140.jpg
http://d3groupinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/D3-Competition-CTSV-102.jpg

----------

Thats basically what it is. I've spoken with D3 and APR on this as well as Sean.
Its a flat honeycomb piece of carbon fiber thats made to the outline of the underside of the bumper. You basically send the outline on a cardboard template to APR and they fab it up. Mounting and struts are up the the end user. D3 used a Spectre type front splitter in addition due to the widebody kit so their templete was more of a one off. Sean is using the stock bumper on his car so the profiles will match.

In addition I'm picking up the APR rear wing. D3, Sean and Bill Black have used it as well. Splitter and wing go hand in hand...

BTW: Mike, clear out your inbox

jclayc
07-08-13, 12:20 PM
yeah, the supporting structure is more important than the splitter itself, in my opinion.

I've been thinking about a more aggressive wing too - Junior, which wing are you thinking about?

FuzzyLogic
07-08-13, 12:28 PM
Junior, have you discussed or considered having molds made that would replace the stock foglamps with full-blown inlets? I've got a couple of potential manufacturers here, but I'm not sure whether to mock up tubing that would channel cold air to the rotors or the engine bay (or both). The idea of building a ram air inlet for the cold air intake tube is intriguing, but that would lead to an asymmetrical cooling design unless I simply ran air past a vertically-oriented air filter and then to the driver's side rotor.

Junior1
07-08-13, 12:43 PM
yeah, the supporting structure is more important than the splitter itself, in my opinion.

I've been thinking about a more aggressive wing too - Junior, which wing are you thinking about?

Those guys are using the APR GTC-500. I've also checked with Crawford, which is who makes the ones in Grand-Am. I did not call Pratt
Neither are specific to the V. You basically give them the measurements for the supports and overall width (in my case determined by CCR).
For all carbon fiber budget around 1500-2k

----------

Junior, have you discussed or considered having molds made that would replace the stock foglamps with full-blown inlets? I've got a couple of potential manufacturers here, but I'm not sure whether to mock up tubing that would channel cold air to the rotors or the engine bay (or both). The idea of building a ram air inlet for the cold air intake tube is intriguing, but that would lead to an asymmetrical cooling design unless I simply ran air past a vertically-oriented air filter and then to the driver's side rotor.

I looked into it briefly. I had enough into it with 3 sets of ducting and fabwork.

D3's are one offs made out of sheet metal that serve to cool brakes and their oil cooler IIRC.
For Grand-Am, Powell removed the whole assembly and added tubing just for the brakes. They simply zip tied it to the mesh. Yooper had something similar I think
The old T2 cars had the assembly cut in half removing the fog light portion, again with tubing for the brakes.
My setup just uses the stock openings with carbon fiber mated up.

I think the biggest issue that will come up is that the ECU is mounted on the leftside just above the assembly and that poses the most issues for clearance with the ducting and any ram-air intake setups. Of course anything is possible with enough money but it may get cost prohibitive for some, especially losing the fog/turning signal in the process.

FuzzyLogic
07-08-13, 12:52 PM
If I had something built, I would replace the turn signal with a vertical hybrid LED bar or a pair of bars. I'm glad you mentioned the oil cooler--that sounds like a worthy objective for the passenger side duct.

xbladr
07-08-13, 01:42 PM
junior post up some pics when you get it

crankedupforit
07-08-13, 03:06 PM
BTW: Mike, clear out your inbox

PM sent. I also picked up a splitter from Sean. We can compare notes when we get them mounted.

barrok69
07-10-13, 01:05 AM
I did a quick photoshop of the APR splitter from the ebay auction.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u240/barrok69/CTS-V_03frontsplitter_zps4ef4c3c2.jpg (http://s169.photobucket.com/user/barrok69/media/CTS-V_03frontsplitter_zps4ef4c3c2.jpg.html)

crankedupforit
07-10-13, 07:40 AM
I did a quick photoshop of the APR splitter from the ebay auction.

URL]

Looks good. A little piece of the rubber lip is still visible but overall a great rendering.

barrok69
07-10-13, 10:37 AM
Looks good. A little piece of the rubber lip is still visible but overall a great rendering.

Thanks. I left it there on purpose actually. I wasn't sure if you guys remove that piece on your full race cars or not. For a street car it's quite beneficial from an aerodynamics/Fuel economy perspective.

Junior1
07-10-13, 11:03 AM
Thanks. I left it there on purpose actually. I wasn't sure if you guys remove that piece on your full race cars or not. For a street car it's quite beneficial from an aerodynamics/Fuel economy perspective.

It would come off and this would mount flat, directly to the underside of the bumper.

Mike you get that PM/email I sent?

crankedupforit
07-10-13, 11:53 AM
Mike you get that PM/email I sent?

Yes. Thanks Chris.