: Keyless Entry - People at dealerships liars?

KuJaX
02-21-05, 08:07 PM
Hey Everyone,

I won a 2001 Cadillac Catera that I recently purchased. I went ahead and bought some keyless entry remotes off ebay auction number 7951370690 for "TWO 01-04 CADILLAC BUICK PONTIAC REMOTES 1 & 2"

It says that it works with 00-04 CADILLAC CATERA. I have a 2001 Cadillac Catera and I took it to the dealership to program. They said "these keyless entry remotes will not work with your car. You need #16245106 and that will be $145."

Now I dont trust anyone at a dealership, I think they are all a bunch of idiots. MY question to you, is are they lying out of their teeth? Is it still possible to program these keyless entry remotes that the guy from ebay sent to me because it says they work for 00-04 cadillac catera.

Or is it possible that I can program these keyless entry remotes myself?

Vesicant
02-21-05, 09:32 PM
16245106 is for the 1999-01 Catera. The dealer wasnt cheating you.

I saw the ebay bid that guy has running... the fob he sold you has a red panic button... the Catera fob has a fuel cover' release button right there.

Looking up part numbers of that one as well, I found it was for a lesabre/parkavanue.

You want a remote that looks like this:
http://i12.ebayimg.com/01/i/03/48/13/30_1_b.JPG and the part number the dealer gave you is correct.

Sandy
02-21-05, 10:06 PM
Quote:
"" Now I dont trust anyone at a dealership, I think they are all a bunch of idiots ""

Seeing that you are new here, might I suggest that you refrain from labeling mass groups of working people Idiots. Not a good way to start off, insulting people in the car business on a car-board. We've lost several people on here, for that reason. A manager of a Caddy dealership who answered many questions and helped many people who had enough, as well as myself, who now comes here once a week instead of once an hour.
There are idiots (to use your word) in EVERY line of work. You cannot slander an entire mass group. I've met many car salesmen who who were far more intelligent than computer geeks, and more worldly too.
There's a good book called "How to win friends & influence people" Worth the $$$$......

KuJaX
02-22-05, 02:31 AM
Quote:
"" Now I dont trust anyone at a dealership, I think they are all a bunch of idiots ""

Seeing that you are new here, might I suggest that you refrain from labeling mass groups of working people Idiots. Not a good way to start off, insulting people in the car business on a car-board. We've lost several people on here, for that reason. A manager of a Caddy dealership who answered many questions and helped many people who had enough, as well as myself, who now comes here once a week instead of once an hour.
There are idiots (to use your word) in EVERY line of work. You cannot slander an entire mass group. I've met many car salesmen who who were far more intelligent than computer geeks, and more worldly too.
There's a good book called "How to win friends & influence people" Worth the $$$$......

true probably isnt the best choice of words that I used. :) Any idea on where I can find this model number for my 2001 catera?

valle1018
02-22-05, 10:23 AM
Actually, you can use the remotes you have w/ the red panic panic button. I purchased a remote that had the read panic button. The dealer programmed it w/ no problem. The only difference between the 2 remotes is that the remote for our Cateras have a fuel button instead of the read panic button. When they program the remotes w/ the red buttons just remember that the red button will be for your fuel door.

KuJaX
02-22-05, 01:50 PM
Actually, you can use the remotes you have w/ the red panic panic button. I purchased a remote that had the read panic button. The dealer programmed it w/ no problem. The only difference between the 2 remotes is that the remote for our Cateras have a fuel button instead of the read panic button. When they program the remotes w/ the red buttons just remember that the red button will be for your fuel door.

what did you have to say for them to program it? They refused to EVEN try, unless we paid $145+ for them to order a keyless entry "#16245106"

valle1018
02-22-05, 02:38 PM
I didn't have to tell them anything. My dealer just did it. I guess I would suggest telling them that those remotes are programmable w/ your Catera.