: Ink on leather seats!?

Rolex
02-21-05, 07:36 PM
A good friend of mine just bought a new Suburban and his kid drew on the leather seats with an ink pen. Have any of you had experience with this, or know of anything that might remove ink without damaging the leather? Any help is appreciated! :thumbsup:

MEJIA
02-21-05, 09:38 PM
I dont think plain leather cleaner will remove the stain.
I would suggest saddle soap, and then applying leather conditioner....

If this would not work I would take it to the local detail business for some expert advice...

You can ruin leather by trying to clean it yourself...

Better pay a couple $$ than be sorry....
Just my $.02

Mejia

RealmCenter
02-23-05, 06:54 PM
Heh, kind of reminds me of a couple who I occasionaly do side work for, an affluent couple, the wife had a brand new loaded Suburban. The youngest of their kids decided to play tic-tac-toe with his friend on the car with a rock and when one game was over they would start a new one untill they covered the whole truck in tic-tac-toe games. Kids eh?

90Brougham350
02-23-05, 10:01 PM
Heh, kind of reminds me of a couple who I occasionaly do side work for, an affluent couple, the wife had a brand new loaded Suburban. The youngest of their kids decided to play tic-tac-toe with his friend on the car with a rock and when one game was over they would start a new one untill they covered the whole trunk in tic-tac-toe games. Kids eh?

Hooh! That's just plain harsh!

Brian

youbetcha77
02-23-05, 11:59 PM
A good friend of mine just bought a new Suburban and his kid drew on the leather seats with an ink pen. Have any of you had experience with this, or know of anything that might remove ink without damaging the leather? Any help is appreciated! :thumbsup:
I used mean green from the Dollar General store. Dilute it in some water and use that. I just bought a sixty special and used it to clean the leather and it took a whole bunch of crude off. Check out the "I Finally found one" post in the sixty special/deville section. Check out the pics before and then the ones after of the back seat. I put them side by side and couldnt beleive the difference. It cleans great. Go over it again with just plain water and let it air dry and then squirt the Leather conditioner on it as soon as the water dries and make sure you let that soak in good and then buff off the excess. Be sure to dilute the mean green with water though. I ran more than half cleaner to water so it was potent.

Blaze

Ralph
02-24-05, 12:08 AM
I used mean green from the Dollar General store. Dilute it in some water and use that. I just bought a sixty special and used it to clean the leather and it took a whole bunch of crude off. Check out the "I Finally found one" post in the sixty special/deville section. Check out the pics before and then the ones after of the back seat. I put them side by side and couldnt beleive the difference. It cleans great. Go over it again with just plain water and let it air dry and then squirt the Leather conditioner on it as soon as the water dries and make sure you let that soak in good and then buff off the excess. Be sure to dilute the mean green with water though. I ran more than half cleaner to water so it was potent.

Blaze

Spray Nine has worked good for me in the past, but I've never needed it on leather.

Blaze, what kind of leather conditioner do you use? That 60 looks AWSOME! I couldn't believe how clean you got it!

youbetcha77
02-24-05, 12:23 AM
Spray Nine has worked good for me in the past, but I've never needed it on leather.

Blaze, what kind of leather conditioner do you use? That 60 looks AWSOME! I couldn't believe how clean you got it!
I use the DuraGloss "221 Leather Conditioner" The upholstery guy, hes been doing it since 1958, recommends anything that is formulated with Mink Oil and Lanolin. If it is formulated with those two things then it is good to use. I used Oxyclean on the carpet and I mix it as strong as I can. This guy also told me to use baby oil on my vinyl roofs. My grandparents had a 88 Fifth Avenue and I used baby oil on it from day one and the stitching was all perfect still on it. The downfall is that when it rains it will streak the back window. I used it on the sixty special and it left the roof feeling very soft. It was hard and stretched feeling before hand. Did you compare the before and after pics of the back seat? Thats where I couldnt beleive the difference.

Blaze

Ralph
02-24-05, 12:29 AM
I use the DuraGloss "221 Leather Conditioner" The upholstery guy, hes been doing it since 1958, recommends anything that is formulated with Mink Oil and Lanolin. If it is formulated with those two things then it is good to use. I used Oxyclean on the carpet and I mix it as strong as I can. This guy also told me to use baby oil on my vinyl roofs. My grandparents had a 88 Fifth Avenue and I used baby oil on it from day one and the stitching was all perfect still on it. The downfall is that when it rains it will streak the back window. I used it on the sixty special and it left the roof feeling very soft. It was hard and stretched feeling before hand. Did you compare the before and after pics of the back seat? Thats where I couldnt beleive the difference.

Blaze
That stuff sounds expensive. Even when I use Armour All on the vinyl roof I get streaking on the back and side windows. Baby oil?? Would that ever evaporate because it might attract dust, etc. I've used straight mink oil on shoes and it's so slimy that dust and everything sticks to it after.

I've had good luck with Mcguires Gold Class.

I would try some spray Nine and a toothbrush and LIGHTLY try to get the ink off, but don't press too hard!

p.s. you got mail...

youbetcha77
02-24-05, 12:54 AM
That stuff sounds expensive. Even when I use Armour All on the vinyl roof I get streaking on the back and side windows. Baby oil?? Would that ever evaporate because it might attract dust, etc. I've used straight mink oil on shoes and it's so slimy that dust and everything sticks to it after.

I've had good luck with Mcguires Gold Class.

I would try some spray Nine and a toothbrush and LIGHTLY try to get the ink off, but don't press too hard!

p.s. you got mail...
I have never ever had a problem with dust. OMG---Never never ever ever use Armour all. Its main ingredient is Vegetable oil and it will work great until the sun cooks and cooks a little more, turning your rook into a pork rind. Trust me I speak from personal experience. My leather conditioner is 5.00 a bottle and has no problem with dust. The mink oil puts supplements back into the leather and it is the only thing that will penetrate the hard protective layer of dye that actually covers the leather. The lanolin keeps the mink oil in the leather longer and adds to the softening and preserving of the leather. Like I said I have never had a problem with dust from either the baby oil on the vinyl roof or the conditioner on the leather.

Blaze

Rolex
02-24-05, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the suggestion youbetcha. I'll pass it on to a grateful friend, and I'll keep it in mind for myself for the future! :)

Ralph
02-24-05, 07:22 PM
I have never ever had a problem with dust. OMG---Never never ever ever use Armour all. Its main ingredient is Vegetable oil and it will work great until the sun cooks and cooks a little more, turning your rook into a pork rind. Trust me I speak from personal experience. My leather conditioner is 5.00 a bottle and has no problem with dust. The mink oil puts supplements back into the leather and it is the only thing that will penetrate the hard protective layer of dye that actually covers the leather. The lanolin keeps the mink oil in the leather longer and adds to the softening and preserving of the leather. Like I said I have never had a problem with dust from either the baby oil on the vinyl roof or the conditioner on the leather.

Blaze

I've used AA successfully since the mid-1980's and I guess because all my cars have been garage kept I've had no probs with the sun. The weatherstripping on the 1980 Phoenix coupe is still mint!

HotRodSaint
02-26-05, 12:30 PM
There is a product called, "Ink Lifter" it's produced by UNITERS SpA in Italy.

I don't know where to buy it, but it works.

Kev
02-26-05, 02:06 PM
My wife uses hair spray, liquid in a pump bottle. It works pretty well on fabric, not sure how it would do on leather. I would test it on a spot that is out of view to ensure it doesn't damage more.