: 05 ctsv cranks but wont start after motor build.

CTSTONY
07-07-13, 03:06 PM
I did heads, cam, 42 lb injectors, and computer reflashed on my 05 V and have everything back together where its supposed to go and the motor will crank and crank but will not light off. The DVD screen, some times when i turn the ignition on but not every time, will tell me check oil level. According to the dip stick oil is full. After the good amount of cranking attempts the exhaust does not smell like fuel or anything has been emitted into the exhaust. Also when the motor was out of the car i had the car at the body shop and they left the key in the run position the whole time and it ran the battery down COMPLETELY and sat that way for about a month, dont know if that would do anything but thought i would throw that info in. Thank you, Andrew

heavymetals
07-07-13, 03:24 PM
Do you have fuel pressure, and do you hear the pump running?

I would suspect the reflash.

You might have wiped out the crank position sense.

Do a search for the crank relearn procedure.

Check for spark.

Just disconnect a plug wire and hold it near the block (not by hand!) while someone cranks the motor.

CTSTONY
07-07-13, 03:38 PM
Ok I will check and get back with the results.

----------

Also the crank re learn procedures i found seem to require the motor to run.

heavymetals
07-07-13, 03:48 PM
I remember when a reflash was done on a few other V's a bit was not set and it would not start or run.

Was your flash done via EFI?

Before it gets real involved, I would reflash the PCM back to whatever it was and see if it starts.

CTSTONY
07-07-13, 04:05 PM
I do not know if it was done via EFI. It was done by EPS, the place that did the cam pacakge.

----------

And what do you mean by "a bit was not set" sorry im still in the learning curve of fuel injected vehicles.

----------

And re flashing the PCM back to stock would require shipping it half way across the US. :\

heavymetals
07-07-13, 04:49 PM
By "bit not set", is programming speak.

EPS should know what they are doing, so I don't think they screwed up your PCM.

EFI is a program to tune by.

Check for spark and fuel pressure.

Fuel pressure you can tell by hearing the pump run when ignition is turned on, under passenger rear wheel.

You sure you have the coil packs plugged back in and plug wires inserted correctly?

Hard to think that you got all 8 wrong.

CTSTONY
07-07-13, 05:31 PM
I just checked the for fuel and the fuel pump does come on when you turn on the ignition, but does sound like it shuts off once it builds pressure ( which i would assume is normal) correct me if im wrong.

I checked for spark and there is no spark when i crank the motor over.

all the coil packs are plugged in, i checked thoroughly.

heavymetals
07-07-13, 05:38 PM
I know you aren't gonna like hearing this, but that is why I have two PCM's now.

You need to check for 12 volts at the coil packs.

Just turn on the ignition and check at the plug in.

If it isn't there, you have some troubleshooting to do.

If it is there, the PCM isn't firing them off. IMO

rand49er
07-07-13, 05:51 PM
Mod Hell strikes again.

RyRidesMotoX
07-07-13, 05:57 PM
I'm guessing is a ground not commenced right... First thing my dad taught me on diesels if something like that is happening is to check the ground connections and wiring

CTSTONY
07-07-13, 06:03 PM
all the grounds are hooked back up where i took them off of.

heavymetals
07-07-13, 06:08 PM
Here is a link to the fuse box.

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/sm/fusebox/fusemap.jpg

As you can tell, each pack is fused separately.

I would check for 12 volts here and at the coil packs first.

CTSTONY
07-07-13, 06:09 PM
Would it make a difference if the driver side coil packs got put on the passenger side and passenger on the driver side?

----------

ok i will check it out

RyRidesMotoX
07-07-13, 06:11 PM
Would it make a difference if the driver side coil packs got put on the passenger side and passenger on the driver side?

----------

ok i will check it out

The coil packs are interchangeable.

CTSTONY
07-07-13, 07:12 PM
I just checked and there is power to the coil packs and there is power to the fuses...

----------

There is also power to the injectors as well

rand49er
07-07-13, 09:05 PM
... There is also power to the injectors as wellThis would tell me the problem is not fuel, it's ignition ... assuming the fuel pump is indeed supplying fuel.

CTSTONY
07-07-13, 09:19 PM
Yes the fuel pump is turning on

heavymetals
07-07-13, 11:14 PM
Spare PCM's are cheap.

Are you sure you have the connectors seated properly on the PCM?

CTSTONY
07-08-13, 02:56 AM
im pretty sure I will double check in the morning when i get to my office. Where would i find a spare PCM?

D-RoKK
07-08-13, 03:53 AM
It is very possible that it simply needs a PATS and CASE relearn. Both can be done at GM. It is a security thing of some sort I believe but in order to do it you need a GMii scanner. Or you can go to pcmperformance.com and get a pcm that disables the relearn like I did for my 6.0l vette swap into my 3.6l.

RyRidesMotoX
07-08-13, 06:11 AM
I'm pretty sure HP tuners can alter the VATS (vehicle anti theft system) if that's the issue... I'm prey sure efi live can do it too but I haven't used that software. Have you talked to the folds that did the running for you about your current problem?

heavymetals
07-08-13, 01:02 PM
im pretty sure I will double check in the morning when i get to my office. Where would i find a spare PCM?

Check here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-Cadillac-CTS-V-Engine-computer-12586243-Programmed-to-your-VIN-ECM-PCM-/171069682552?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27d48c3378&vxp=mtr

eagle-co94
11-25-13, 07:55 PM
Did you ever find out what your problem was?