: Cool way to protect the V from the kids

flatrockguy
07-07-13, 12:50 PM
I'm always looking for ways to protect the V from the kids basketballs and stuff without being Mr. scrooge and finally found the answer. This is actually designed to hit baseballs and golf balls into without any reflex but works great to keep basketballs and stuff from hitting the car. This enables me to keep the garage door open and still have the kids playing. It also protects my garage door from getting dented. This is more for the other kids not mine because they know how anal I am and they respect our cars. It connects via quick connect clips and takes about 1 minute to put up or take down and you can also close the door with it installed. It also keeps the kids from running in and out of the garage. You just unclip two of the clips and you can walk in and out as needed. Now if I can only stop the balls from destroying the wifes flowers :) Here is the link if interested.http://www.hittingworld.com/HIT_IT_Garage_Sports_Net_p/hti-spn.htm

spearfish25
07-07-13, 06:27 PM
Nice fix. Looks good. Wait til your kids start hitting baseballs into the screen on purpose. Then you'll really hope you installed it well.

flatrockguy
07-07-13, 06:29 PM
Ya, I guess I should have been more specific with the builder :hmm:

neuronbob
07-07-13, 07:32 PM
Great idea and I may purchase one. However, I'm more worried about my son scratching my car with his bike and scooter as they are stored in the garage with my V wagon. He's already put two significant scratches in my beautiful OBM paint. He's only seven and always in a hurry to get his bike out, and scratches the car too easily. I ended up buying a Cadillac cover for the wagon on eBay to use on the days I am driving my S2000 instead of the wagon.

spearfish25
07-07-13, 08:07 PM
Oh God. The things I have to worry about as my two month old gets older.

Trapspeed
07-07-13, 08:14 PM
Great idea and I may purchase one. However, I'm more worried about my son scratching my car with his bike and scooter as they are stored in the garage with my V wagon.

My buddy has a black Gallardo and I often wonder how he does this, too. His kids are not push button trained either.

flatrockguy
07-07-13, 09:14 PM
I store all the kids bikes (ages 6,9,11) hanging from the ceiling, so I have to get them down and then they keep them outside until evening then I hang them back up. My kids are well trained as far as the cars go, they know not to touch them or get close to them. I was brought up to take care of everything, no matter what the value, so I have instilled the same values in my kids. I just wish all their friends were taught the same.

Trapspeed
07-07-13, 09:21 PM
True that, my friend.

pat2t2f
07-08-13, 10:10 AM
I bought a shed for my kids bikes and scooters. That's their garage. My v wagon lives alone.

flatrockguy
07-08-13, 12:33 PM
I would love a shed but our community does not allow it.

RaVeNous
07-08-13, 02:03 PM
Glad I don't have kids. They scratch my car, I break a toy. Cause and effect.

neuronbob
07-08-13, 02:14 PM
Glad I don't have kids. They scratch my car, I break a toy. Cause and effect.

Funny :) , but nah.

The day after returning from our 4k mile road trip, my son, super-excited about riding his brand-new birthday bike for the first time in 10 days, puts a DEEP six-inch scratch, not quite to primer, but deep enough for my fingernail to catch on it, right on my driver's side front door. He felt so bad when he saw my face that he cried. All I could do was hug him. What was I going to do, yell at him at that point?

To make me feel better, he showed me his scratched up dump truck and he told me: "see daddy, my truck has scratchies on it too."

How could I stay mad at the little guy for more than a few seconds? He learned his lesson and he's super-careful around my car now.

Trust me, when you have kids, you'll understand.

And then you'll do things like buy a car cover or a batting net for your garage.

vfaninva
07-08-13, 04:09 PM

The day after returning from our 4k mile road trip, my son, super-excited about riding his brand-new birthday bike for the first time in 10 days, puts a DEEP six-inch scratch, not quite to primer, but deep enough for my fingernail to catch on it, right on my driver's side front door. He felt so bad when he saw my face that he cried. All I could do was hug him. What was I going to do, yell at him at that point?

To make me feel better, he showed me his scratched up dump truck and he told me: "see daddy, my truck has scratchies on it too."

How could I stay mad at the little guy for more than a few seconds? He learned his lesson and he's super-careful around my car now.

And then you'll do things like buy a car cover or a batting net for your garage.

Bob you got that right. I really like my car but I love my kids!

hoontang
07-08-13, 04:16 PM

Awww! This is such a common thing with kids, but once you see how sorry they are, it melts your heart. My two young boys, under age 4, have both put some scratchs and dents into our cars, but in the end, its just a car. These are the same dings and scratches that one gets from daily driving with gravel, pebbles, parking lots etc.

These are cars, meant for driving - enjoy them!!

cdog533
07-08-13, 04:42 PM
Glad I don't have kids. They scratch my car, I break a toy. Cause and effect. I don't have kids either. But, at my house, it would be more like "They scratch my car, I cut off one of their fingers."

Maybe not that extreme, but they DO need to learn to respect property at an early age, especially cars. Nothing pisses me off more than some little snotnose touching my car in a parking lot because his dad didn't raise him right.

RaVeNous
07-08-13, 06:32 PM
I get it. As I said, I don't have kids, but I dated a woman with a child for a long period of time, and I also have several friends with young children.

Much of my reaction as you pointed out, depends on the reaction of the child. However; I would not be able to hide my anger, nor do I think that punishment would be out of the question. But no, you don't freak out and act like a crazy person and make a child scared of you. I've just dealt with a lot of children who have no respect for their own things, and therefore have no respect for other people's things either. THAT is a problem. Sounds like your kid knew that he scratched your favorite toy! He was sorry for it, not much else you can do. No if it happens again, or a third time, that is a totally different story...

neuronbob
07-08-13, 09:04 PM
I get it. As I said, I don't have kids, but I dated a woman with a child for a long period of time, and I also have several friends with young children.

Much of my reaction as you pointed out, depends on the reaction of the child. However; I would not be able to hide my anger, nor do I think that punishment would be out of the question. But no, you don't freak out and act like a crazy person and make a child scared of you. I've just dealt with a lot of children who have no respect for their own things, and therefore have no respect for other people's things either. THAT is a problem. Sounds like your kid knew that he scratched your favorite toy! He was sorry for it, not much else you can do. No if it happens again, or a third time, that is a totally different story...

It's all good :) and I agree. There are a lot of kids who just don't GAF about others' property and I have a problem with that. Thankfully, my little guy understands clearly.

I take him to Cars and Coffee here in Cleveland on a regular basis and he knows that the number one rule is: "NO TOUCHIES." :) Thankfully, he is more interested in playing on the grass or with his iPad than in touching the shiny cars nowadays. He can also point out a Porsche Carrera GT (we have one that comes out on a regular basis) or a Corvette. Smart kid!

MacBuster
07-10-13, 01:51 PM

You're a good dad. I've scratched many cars, many times. None of those scratches make me feel as bad as I do when my 4 year old thinks I'm mad at her. We don't get angry in our house over true accidents, or spills or whatever. Kids minds are more important than car doors. Kids need to be disciplined sometimes, but I'm of the opinion that it needs to be calm and firm vs angry. I rarely discipline my kids in an angry manner.