: anyone else agree

elwesso
02-05-03, 03:38 PM
imo, I think that the rotary engine has the most potential to be better than piston engines. They have much more power per liter. The mazda RX7 rotary engine has a 1.4l (i think, something really small) 4 rotor engine that produces 250. There is no other engine out there that produces that much power per liter that ISNT rice-ified with turbos, supers, nos, etc. I would really like to see GM or ford put out a car with a rotary. On paper, they are more reliable from the standpoint that they have much less moving parts. If they were put in production, they would be much cheaper to produce because they are less complex.

Let me know what yall think!

Katshot
02-05-03, 04:02 PM
Although I would agree that the rotary (actually Wankle) engine has some advantages over a conventional piston engine, the disadvantages are major ones:
1. Manufacturing cost
2. Emmissions
3. Fuel mileage
4. Component packaging (fitting it in a car)
As for a liter to liter comparison with a piston engine, I think that's NOT a fair comparison since the displacement is not used quite the same in each engine type.

A more interesting comparison might be Fuel consumption:Output power, or HP:MPG, or even Engine weight:Output power, or Unit cost:HP. This could go on for ever.
To be honest, I'd rather see a Gas Turbine engine in my car. I can get as much torque out of lunch box-size gas-turbine as my LT1. And I can adjust the fuel control to run on damn near anything that'll burn.
Plus it brings a whole new meaning to the phrase "Burn-out" ;)

elwesso
02-05-03, 04:15 PM
I didnt really think about gas turbine, but i think that with rotary engines, if they were put into mainstream production, they would be less expensive than piston engines. Why? fewer parts to make.

I agree that piston engines probably get better gas mileage, i dont agree that emissions couldnt be improved. There is just more technology for piston engines, and if we put more time into rotarys that they would be better in just about every aspect.

Dead Sled
02-05-03, 08:23 PM
I dunno I think a whole bunch of us still prefer the V8 american heritage. you almost every one thinks the prowler was ok but a V8 would have made it awesome. I don't think im quite ready to give up V8 gas hogs and go pistonless. same therory goes for all those alternitive fuel cars and hybrids as far as im comcerned

elwesso
02-05-03, 08:50 PM
Oh sure, i am not saying i am against the V8s. In fact, there is no band better than the rumble of a big block straight from the headers. End of story. What im saying is the POTENTIAL. I am not saying that they should stop piston engines and go rotary, or any other method. I just wanted to know what you all thought about the POTENTIAL of rotary engines.