: Does anyone know the 'wood veneer' trim types?

IanW
07-07-13, 03:29 AM
I have a '70 DeVille convertible. When I bought it 15 years ago a carpenter friend said wow, why would they choose that wood for the interior trim? I said it's not real. He said I know that [idiot me for thinking he was thinking it was real], but how would they know so much as to choose such a class act for the imitation? He told me the name of the 'wood' and now, of course, I've forgotten it. Are there 'wood' trim charts, like the paint color ones?

cadillacbart
07-08-13, 05:19 PM
Sorry cant help with the type for 1970. I can tell you to rosewood for 1968, and that the veneer IS real wood glued to metal backing.

77CDV
07-09-13, 01:01 AM
The 1970 "wood" is called Oriental Tamo Wood. Whatever that is. Anyone ever see a tamo tree?

Bro-Ham
07-09-13, 07:31 PM
The 1970 "wood" is called Oriental Tamo Wood. Whatever that is. Anyone ever see a tamo tree?

I think I remember seeing a Tamo tree last time I was in the Orient, they are the rare plastic trees that Cadillac thoughtfully chose for an exotic look. I heard those trees were nearly extinct after all the overharvesting by Cadillac and other car makers back in the day. :)

77CDV
07-10-13, 12:13 AM
I think I remember seeing a Tamo tree last time I was in the Orient, they are the rare plastic trees that Cadillac thoughtfully chose for an exotic look. I heard those trees were nearly extinct after all the overharvesting by Cadillac and other car makers back in the day. :)

I thought it was so named because you took a whole lot of raw plastic and some coloring, threw it in a bucket and TAMO!--you've got "wood". :lol:

Fleet
07-11-13, 06:41 PM
Rosewood was used in 1968 and 1969. It's probably possible to use the 1969 wood trim inside a 1970.

Bro-Ham
07-12-13, 08:37 AM
I thought it was so named because you took a whole lot of raw plastic and some coloring, threw it in a bucket and TAMO!--you've got "wood". :lol:

Sounds logical, and totally 70's! :)

70eldo
07-16-13, 01:02 PM
I wouldn't mind going real wood veneer when I do the interior!