: still clunking

KB V
07-06-13, 10:17 PM
After ls7 clutch kit, revshift motor mounts and trans mount insert, cs diff bushing and block. Should I try rev shift flex disc? Much cheaper option than cs 8.8 kit. Is the 8.8 the only way to lose the clunk?

Revshift
07-07-13, 12:43 AM
The Revshift diff bushing would most likely help. Get under the car and inspect your flex disk. If it is not cracked and it looks like everything is solid then it most likely is not the issue.

KB V
07-07-13, 03:58 PM
The Revshift diff bushing would most likely help. Get under the car and inspect your flex disk. If it is not cracked and it looks like everything is solid then it most likely is not the issue. I am a Revshift fan, but I find it hard to believe that the diff bushing is so much better than creative steels. I am not trying to start a debate, I am just frustrated.

The original diff bushing I took out (before adding cs bushing) was in near perfect shape. The original owner had the diff brace on (it's off now because it made it noisier). So, I'm thinking the only less than solid part is the flex disc. The shop that installed my clutch said the disc looked good.

I'm suspecting that it's the diff that is clunking.

Revshift
07-07-13, 05:30 PM
http://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v/1659559-lessons-learned-rear-end-clunk.html

JFensty
07-07-13, 06:03 PM
FWIW I have more clunk after installing the revshift diff and cradle bushings. I believe the old bushings were so worn the entire diff was moving around so there was less clunk. Now that the diff is more secure, it let's me hear the slop in the posi unit or gear backlash. Bushings are great but its a gen I or II diff with 150k. What more can I expect.

2007V
07-07-13, 08:30 PM
I just installed the revshift subframe, diff bushing and trans mount insert, most of the clunk is gone but the rear end wine is very noticeable now. I'm second guessing the diff bushing.

FWIW I have more clunk after installing the revshift diff and cradle bushings. I believe the old bushings were so worn the entire diff was moving around so there was less clunk. Now that the diff is more secure, it let's me hear the slop in the posi unit or gear backlash. Bushings are great but its a gen I or II diff with 150k. What more can I expect.

JFensty
07-07-13, 09:08 PM
I just installed the revshift subframe, diff bushing and trans mount insert, most of the clunk is gone but the rear end wine is very noticeable now. I'm second guessing the diff bushing.

Same here with the whine. I went with red cradle and blue diff and thought I was being safe. I can usually drive around the clunk. But it is always there hiding.....

KB V
07-07-13, 09:37 PM
http://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v/1659559-lessons-learned-rear-end-clunk.html Um, I'm not seeing a resolution with this post. Whine is ok, but I can't stand the clunk! So, is the 8.8 the only way?

philistine
07-07-13, 09:58 PM
My thoughts on the CS 8.8 is that is for slapping down some power. I'm sure it cures a lot of other stuff as well. I have parade clunk with the stock clutch, Revshift MMs & trans mount, and Delrin cradle bushings. I share your frustration but do not have anything to add that can solve your issues.

I lived with the embarrassing parade clunk for quite awhile. I decided to give CS a call on the 8.8 rear end. I plan on putting my order in on Monday but that is largely due to prepping for forced induction. Based on a large amount of feedback...the 8.8 kit solves the parade clunk but that is not the primary reason for purchase.

KB V
07-07-13, 10:18 PM
My thoughts on the CS 8.8 is that is for slapping down some power. I'm sure it cures a lot of other stuff as well. I have parade clunk with the stock clutch, Revshift MMs & trans mount, and Delrin cradle bushings. I share your frustration but do not have anything to add that can solve your issues.

I lived with the embarrassing parade clunk for quite awhile. I decided to give CS a call on the 8.8 rear end. I plan on putting my order in on Monday but that is largely due to prepping for forced induction. Based on a large amount of feedback...the 8.8 kit solves the parade clunk but that is not the primary reason for purchase. Exactly! Too much dough too get rid of clunk! That's what I'm struggling with. Maybe 25k in a car that could make me happy with another 10k??? I just want to know what will work!!! plus I'm adding in 5k in cosmetics!!!

FuzzyLogic
07-07-13, 11:12 PM

I don't think you torqued down the front bolt well enough. That or you forgot to use loctite.

Andringa
07-08-13, 12:05 AM
How many miles on the CS diff bushing?

Have you checked the torque on the front diff bolt?

JFensty
07-08-13, 12:11 AM
I don't think you torqued down the front bolt well enough. That or you forgot to use loctite.

I can't remember the exact torque, but it was enough to start to distort the bushing on the ends. Do you have the torque spec? Yes, loctite was used.

FuzzyLogic
07-08-13, 01:52 AM
The stock dual-mass flywheel will always clunk. So will both the stock two-piece driveshaft and the 2-piece aluminum/chromoly driveshaft that's included in the Creative Steel 8.8 kit. Either learn to accept some amount of clunk or pay the $4600 premium for a 8.8 kit with a one-piece carbon fiber driveshaft and $750 for a good single-disc clutch.

I can't remember the exact torque, but it was enough to start to distort the bushing on the ends. Do you have the torque spec? Yes, loctite was used.

129 ft-lbs for all three. I doubt you torqued them that much--it's hard to do when you've got the car on floor jacks. While you're at it, make sure you torque the front and rear subframe bushings to 195 ft-lbs and 141 ft-lbs, respectively.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/193112-need-torque-values-differential-21mm-mount.html#post2159717

KB V
07-09-13, 08:01 AM
I don't think you torqued down the front bolt well enough. That or you forgot to use loctite. Thanks for the heads-up. I hope this helps.

MotorMounts
07-09-13, 12:46 PM
The stock dual-mass flywheel will always clunk. So will both the stock two-piece driveshaft and the 2-piece aluminum/chromoly driveshaft that's included in the Creative Steel 8.8 kit. Either learn to accept some amount of clunk or pay the $4600 premium for a 8.8 kit with a one-piece carbon fiber driveshaft and $750 for a good single-disc clutch.

This post would lead people to believe that the 2 piece drive shaft that comes in our 8.8 kit could be the cause of a clunk. If one of you 8.8 guys with our kit has a clunk (that's got some humor all by itself) and even remotely think it could be the drive shaft call me right now, today. We will sort it out Two-Day.

The bolt torque on the diff bushings is of huge importance.