: Traction activates needlessly

robs911
07-06-13, 07:35 PM
I can't seem to find the thread that deals with my problem. My 2005 Escalade, hesitates (loses power) makes a rattling noise and the traction activated message comes on.When leaving a stop sign or light. This happens almost 85% of the time but never when first starting out. Apparently the computer shows no faults. The first time at my dealer they stated that they had a "bulletin" (or what ever GM calls it) and that they did a software thing. If that did not work we would have to replace the module. It helped but the problem slowly returned. When I brought it in the second time they did not think it was this module and they calibrated the tire size .... this did nothing. The dealership now thinks that they might try replacing front wheel speed sensors.
I was under the impression this was a common problem and had a fix.

pmartell12
07-06-13, 08:19 PM
sounds like you need to change the wheel bearings, they have the wheel speed sensors built into them.

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-06-13, 09:35 PM
I can't seem to find the thread that deals with my problem. My 2005 Escalade, hesitates (loses power) makes a rattling noise and the traction activated message comes on.When leaving a stop sign or light. This happens almost 85% of the time but never when first starting out. Apparently the computer shows no faults. The first time at my dealer they stated that they had a "bulletin" (or what ever GM calls it) and that they did a software thing. If that did not work we would have to replace the module. It helped but the problem slowly returned. When I brought it in the second time they did not think it was this module and they calibrated the tire size .... this did nothing. The dealership now thinks that they might try replacing front wheel speed sensors.

Hello robs911,

I apologize that you are experiencing an issue with your Escalade. I would like to contact the dealership on your behalf concerning this situation. Since you are new to the forum, you will not be able to private message me, but could you send me some information to socialmedia@gm.com? I would need your name, contact info, VIN, mileage, and dealership that you are currently working with. Thank you very much for your time, I look forward to assisting you with this concern.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

the cadillac man
07-06-13, 09:50 PM

I had this happen and the reflash of the module helped

wesyder
07-07-13, 12:11 AM

Mine was wheel bearing, i used the tec 2 scanner to see the speed difference between wheels therefore activation traction control

robs911
09-09-13, 04:40 PM
It's Fixed!!!! Thanks for the help and especially Gregory at Cadillac Customer Service I took his advice and contacted the Canadian GM customer service. They helped with cooperation from the dealership. It was The wheel speed sensors as most of you thought,they replaced both.

Cadillac Cust Svc
09-10-13, 06:31 PM
It's Fixed!!!! Thanks for the help and especially Gregory at Cadillac Customer Service I took his advice and contacted the Canadian GM customer service. They helped with cooperation from the dealership. It was The wheel speed sensors as most of you thought,they replaced both.
Hello robs911,

I am glad to hear that your Escalade is repaired! I am glad to hear that our Canadian team was able to assist you! Thank you very much for keeping us updated on your vehicles progress.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

Stingray23
10-05-13, 03:58 AM
I'm having the same issue with my 03 Escalade. I looked for the wheel speed sensors on gmpartsdirect.com but cant find them anywhere. Any clue where to find them?

mikedyk43
10-05-13, 04:11 AM
I'm having the same issue with my 03 Escalade. I looked for the wheel speed sensors on gmpartsdirect.com but cant find them anywhere. Any clue where to find them?

I looked up the wheel speed sensors at Oreilly's and they cost almost $100 each. For that price you might as well buy the front hub assembly for $20 more which includes new speed sensors.

Stingray23
10-05-13, 04:24 AM
Is this the one you're referring to?
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/BWD0/S8310/01879.oap?year=2003&make=Cadillac&model=Escalade&vi=1411849&ck=Search_wheel+speed+sensors_01879_1411849_750&keyword=wheel+speed+sensors&pt=01879&ppt=C0033

mikedyk43
10-05-13, 10:56 PM
Is this the one you're referring to?
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/BWD0/S8310/01879.oap?year=2003&make=Cadillac&model=Escalade&vi=1411849&ck=Search_wheel+speed+sensors_01879_1411849_750&keyword=wheel+speed+sensors&pt=01879&ppt=C0033

Actually, I was referring to this one:
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/BWD0/ABS592/01313.oap?year=2003&make=Cadillac&model=Escalade&vi=1411849&ck=Search_speed+sensor_01313_1411849_3067&keyword=speed+sensor&pt=01313&ppt=C0033

Stingray23
10-06-13, 01:01 AM
Actually, I was referring to this one:
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/BWD0/ABS592/01313.oap?year=2003&make=Cadillac&model=Escalade&vi=1411849&ck=Search_speed+sensor_01313_1411849_3067&keyword=speed+sensor&pt=01313&ppt=C0033

Would I need 2 of them or just 1?

cashmereDTS
10-06-13, 02:03 AM
Would I need 2 of them or just 1?

I hate to be the one that says this but, you might have to replace the whole hub assembly which has a sensor in it that is usually the reason why these units fail. Most hub assemblies come with the external abs/speed sensor as well. The hub assembies vary in price. I`m skeptical of buying cheap hub assemblies, even if they say Timken or SKF, because there are a lot of them out there that are Chinese `knock offs`.

My 04 escalade is doing the same as yours. I`ve been putting it off for a white now but it has progressively gotten worse and I find that I`m constantly deactivating the traction control every time I start the vehicle to avoid the traction control kicking in for no reason.

With winter right around the corner, I`m going to have to bite the bullet and get them changed but the thought of paying $450 per hub assembly at the dealer makes my stomach turn lol.

the cadillac man
10-06-13, 02:34 AM
I hate to be the one that says this but, you might have to replace the whole hub assembly which has a sensor in it that is usually the reason why these units fail. Most hub assemblies come with the external abs/speed sensor as well. The hub assembies vary in price. I`m skeptical of buying cheap hub assemblies, even if they say Timken or SKF, because there are a lot of them out there that are Chinese `knock offs`. My 04 escalade is doing the same as yours. I`ve been putting it off for a white now but it has progressively gotten worse and I find that I`m constantly deactivating the traction control every time I start the vehicle to avoid the traction control kicking in for no reason. With winter right around the corner, I`m going to have to bite the bullet and get them changed but the thought of paying $450 per hub assembly at the dealer makes my stomach turn lol.

Well its better that then 1200 or more for a new bumper been there done that

cashmereDTS
10-06-13, 04:04 AM
Well its better that then 1200 or more for a new bumper been there done that

Well said. Good point.

Jophusp
10-06-13, 01:49 PM
Try Buyautoparts.com. OEM Front Wheel Hub assemblies for around $155.00ea. I have bought quite a bit from them, and have to say. Always the first place I look now.

Stingray23
10-06-13, 03:40 PM
Thanks.