Cadillac Owners Forum banner

500 75 deville hot start

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  chrisntam 
#1 ·
I'm having an issue with my 1975 deville. When I drive it in the Texas summer heat, it makes a clattering noise accelerating from a stop. When I try to crank it after its only sat for a few minutes, it's difficult to start. I have to press the accelerator a lot to get it to start. AnIthithinkmusitmust be so

----------

I think it might be in the carb but one mechanic said it could be timing chain needing to be replaced. After the engine has cooled it starts right up. Tried higher octane fuel that helped some but not completely.

#9 ·
What sort of fuel economy should I be getting? i'm getting 10 mpg now...figured that was about the best I could expect. I will have them check these weights. I had thought about replacing the carburetor with a new one for the 76 model as I'd heard that carb was better than the 75. I'd rather not have to do that though. When the car cools down, it usually starts right up. Starts easily in the morning too just hesitates sometimes when you start off and it's cold

#11 ·
Check your vacuum lines and the dashpots. Make sure the dashpots hold vacuum for the required length of time. Check the hoses for burn through where they set on the engine and the connections for dried rubber and cracks. Check the distributor advance dashpot. See how sensitive it is to vacuum signal. If it fails to hold vacuum, it may have a small crack in the diaphragm and not responding to signal well. :yup:

#12 ·
When you say it difficult to start when hot, does the engine crank over like it does when it's cold or does the starter have a difficult time turning the engine over? What about the starter getting hot and not being able to perform as it should and not being able to turn the engine? What kind of shape is the battery in? Of course the starter/battery prolly won't be an issue if the engine spins at the same speed when hot as when cold............Be sure to keep us informed as to your progress.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.