: What are you guys using to clean your 3M clear bra?

mpouls1
07-06-13, 04:19 PM
I was hand washing my car this morning and I just can't take it anymore. The scratches and swirls and chips are driving me crazy. Any advice on products, items needed, and technique would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

spearfish25
07-06-13, 09:26 PM
Scratches and chips in the paint or clear bra? I've used a gentle polish and random orbital on the bra with decent results. But you're not going to fix gouges in the bra. Just be glad it saved the paint and consider it expendable, not holy like the paint.

cruiser68
07-07-13, 11:00 AM
I use Plexus in a spray can as recommended by my installer.

mpouls1
07-07-13, 12:15 PM
Yeah the gouges and dents are not what I'm worried about. It is the swirl and scratch marks. I was thinking trying Meguiar's Ultimate Polish with a random orbital and see the results. Everything I have checked out says there are no 'real' products for clean/polishing and waxing clear protectant. Was checking to see if anyone has tried this or similar.

spearfish25
07-07-13, 03:27 PM
My experience has been that nothing helps much. Eventually it will look pretty bad and you have to ask yourself if a nasty clear bra is better than none at all (or having it redone).

neuronbob
07-07-13, 07:56 PM
How is your clear bra getting so scratched up and swirled up? Do you live someplace where sand storms are common? I've had clear bras on my last three daily drivers and when sold years later, other than a few rock chips, they are generally in good shape. I Zaino mine just like I Zaino the rest of the car and it keeps things looking good. *shrugs*

spearfish25
07-07-13, 08:00 PM
The Dan Ryan expressway in Chicago can massacre a bumper or clear bra if you drive it daily.

cruiser68
07-07-13, 08:50 PM
The Dan Ryan expressway in Chicago can massacre a bumper or clear bra if you drive it daily.

Anywhere in Chicagoland :( I've seen rocks bounce off my clear bra at highway speeds and was amazed at the minimal damage to the bra. NOTHING to the underlying paint though :)

mpouls1
07-07-13, 09:16 PM
How is your clear bra getting so scratched up and swirled up? Do you live someplace where sand storms are common? I've had clear bras on my last three daily drivers and when sold years later, other than a few rock chips, they are generally in good shape. I Zaino mine just like I Zaino the rest of the car and it keeps things looking good. *shrugs*

I live N. Illinois 1-1/2 hr. from Chicago. My car has been DD for all 4 years, almost 5. Que winter, sleet, snow, slush, salt, highway, dirt/gravel, IL road construction etc. My baby ain't no garage queen :)

Thanks guys for the information. I will plan on doing nothing. Better to have, then have not I guess.

baabootoo
07-08-13, 05:12 PM
Is this the new spray-on stuff or the film?

spearfish25
07-08-13, 05:56 PM
The 'old style' film applied by a professional installer. I may give the spray stuff a try in some areas that I didn't get the stick on.

neuronbob
07-08-13, 05:58 PM
I live N. Illinois 1-1/2 hr. from Chicago. My car has been DD for all 4 years, almost 5. Que winter, sleet, snow, slush, salt, highway, dirt/gravel, IL road construction etc. My baby ain't no garage queen :)

Mine have been daily drivers blasted with salt from the front, as well. I guess I'm lucky, then. When I traded in my 2009 V sedan after four nasty Cleveland winters, the clear bra was almost pristine other than a couple of unavoidable rock chips. I agree with your not doing much. It's definitely better for the clear bra to be sandblasted than the paint underneath.

cdog533
07-09-13, 02:03 PM
Clear bras should be treated the same as the finish from a detailing perspective. If they have swirls, these can be removed via a polisher (such as a porter 7424) and the right combination of pads and polishes. I would probably start with Meguiars 205 and an orange pad. If that doesn't work, move to Meguiars 105 with a less aggressive pad, and follow that with 205 and less aggressive pad. I would also top it with whatever sealant/wax/LSP you use on the car as a whole.

Just be careful on the bra and start with the least aggressive approach first, moving toward more aggressive if needed. And keep your polisher speed down unless more is required.

cruiser68
07-09-13, 08:55 PM
My installer specifically said to stay away from products that have petroleum distillates as they will fog/yellow the film over time. I have used zaino on the 3m with good results but I would be careful with anything that cuts.

spearfish25
07-10-13, 06:56 AM
My installer specifically said to stay away from products that have petroleum distillates as they will fog/yellow the film over time. I have used zaino on the 3m with good results but I would be careful with anything that cuts.

Mine said synthetic wax only, no carnubas. I guess the yellow of carnuba will tint the bra.

CoppeR
07-10-13, 10:02 PM

+1 used that stuff on a 3M clear bra for 6years no problems. Xpel bra on the V.

BigDog001
07-11-13, 09:00 AM
I use a product that my installer recommended -- unmarked so I come back I guess ... I also use Adam's Waterless Wash and Detailing products -- I have no issues with my clear Bra.

mpouls1
07-11-13, 12:45 PM
When in direct sunlight I can see the swirl marks from washing, weather, etc. I don't know how all these other clear bra's are immaculate. Perhaps I got some cheap knockoff. But... the dealer already had it installed before I bought and have the paperwork. I think I'll just try some Meguiars and see what happens.

dqw1
07-11-13, 05:25 PM
When in direct sunlight I can see the swirl marks from washing, weather, etc. I don't know how all these other clear bra's are immaculate. Perhaps I got some cheap knockoff. But... the dealer already had it installed before I bought and have the paperwork. I think I'll just try some Meguiars and see what happens.
I hear ya. Before i had a fender bender and had my front end replaced along with the clear bra, my was looking a little rough and dull and waxing wasn't enough. Best thing to do is talk to a professional detailer to find out what to do. I'm also going to be using Adam's products for the first time tomorrow.

cdog533
07-12-13, 02:06 PM
I hear ya. Before i had a fender bender and had my front end replaced along with the clear bra, my was looking a little rough and dull and waxing wasn't enough. Best thing to do is talk to a professional detailer to find out what to do.

Semi-professional...

As I mentioned, MOST clear bras should be treated the same as the finish from a detailing perspective and WILL benefit from polishing and application of polymer-type wax.

If your bra has swirls or haze, these can be removed via a DA polisher (such as a porter cable 7424) and the right combination of pads and polishes. I am going to alter my recommendations from earlier in the thread*** on this though.

Start with Meguiars 205 (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-205-polish-8oz.html) or Menzerna Final Polish (http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-final-polish.html) and a 5" white, Lake County CCS pad. If that doesn't work, move to a more aggressive orange CCS pad. And keep your polisher speed down unless more is required!!!
***I don't think Meguiars 105 is necessary, and I think starting with a white pad is a less aggressive approach

People are saying they are getting great results on clear bras with Blackfire Wet Diamond... http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-wet-diamond-sealant.html This is an excellent polymer wax (technically a sealant).

You can get all of these products from Detailers Domain, or Autogeek, or wherever. I usually use Autogeek as they have a lot of sales.

NOTE: If you are swirling up your bra, you are probably swirling your paint too. I am guessing this is occuring during washed. There is probably swirling/marring occuring when the car is washed and dried. If you are going through a swirl-o-matic car automatic car wash, you are probably in trouble...

mpouls1
07-13-13, 12:02 AM
If your bra has swirls or haze, these can be removed via a DA polisher (such as a porter cable 7424) and the right combination of pads and polishes. I am going to alter my recommendations from earlier in the thread*** on this though.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. The swirls and haze.

NOTE: If you are swirling up your bra, you are probably swirling your paint too. I am guessing this is occurring during washed. There is probably swirling/marring occurring when the car is washed and dried. If you are going through a swirl-o-matic car automatic car wash, you are probably in trouble...

Right again. I don't use the crappy swirl-o-matics but I do occasionally use the touchless when I can't/don't have enough time to do it myself. Every time I head over to Home Depot I always make sure to walk through the hand and power tools aisle looking for something new to buy. This gives me a good excuse to pick up a porter cable 7424. Thanks for the help.

dqw1
07-13-13, 04:51 PM
Semi-professional...

As I mentioned, MOST clear bras should be treated the same as the finish from a detailing perspective and WILL benefit from polishing and application of polymer-type wax.

Start with Meguiars 205 (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-205-polish-8oz.html) or Menzerna Final Polish (http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-final-polish.html) and a 5" white, Lake County CCS pad. If that doesn't work, move to a more aggressive orange CCS pad. And keep your polisher speed down unless more is required!!!
***I don't think Meguiars 105 is necessary, and I think starting with a white pad is a less aggressive approach

People are saying they are getting great results on clear bras with Blackfire Wet Diamond... http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-wet-diamond-sealant.html This is an excellent polymer wax (technically a sealant).

You can get all of these products from Detailers Domain, or Autogeek, or wherever. I usually use Autogeek as they have a lot of sales.

NOTE: If you are swirling up your bra, you are probably swirling your paint too. I am guessing this is occuring during washed. There is probably swirling/marring occuring when the car is washed and dried. If you are going through a swirl-o-matic car automatic car wash, you are probably in trouble...
You are absolutely correct. I used some Adam's finishing polish this morning with good results. Then my PC backing plate pad broke after I had half of the car polished. Damn...

cdog533
07-14-13, 11:15 AM
This is exactly what I'm talking about. The swirls and haze.

Right again. I don't use the crappy swirl-o-matics but I do occasionally use the touchless when I can't/don't have enough time to do it myself. Every time I head over to Home Depot I always make sure to walk through the hand and power tools aisle looking for something new to buy. This gives me a good excuse to pick up a porter cable 7424. Thanks for the help.

Glad I could help!

Check Autogeek as they do sell kits that have the polisher, backing plates, pads, etc all together. I think autopiacarcare and chemical guys also offer polisher bundles. 3D auto care as well.

And they all have polish/pad combos that you can buy too. And all sizes/types pads and backing plates.

Kyle_B
07-16-13, 09:31 PM

Ditto on the Plexus. They also use it at our local small airport on Cessna windows and such.