: Rear Wheel Lug Bolts

FuzzyLogic
07-05-13, 10:21 PM
Well, it was inevitable: I snapped one of the lug bolts off one of my rear wheels. I've already got replacement bolts, but the question is, what tools and steps do I need to take to remove the old ones?

Last year, I replaced all of the lugs on my front wheels, but the rear wheels pose a greater challenge, since those disc brakes are in the way. You can't just pound out the old bolts once the wheel is off. I suspect I need a huge socket and a breaker bar, but I'm not 100% sure.

Thanks!

tophat
07-05-13, 10:44 PM
oh boy, just did this last week...for me it was a pain in the ass but it really is not hard, I just had some other issues.... Lollygager had a good write up about replacing axles awhile back, I used that as reference....You do need to push the axle off the hub so will need to get a new axle nut, once the axle is pushed out you should be able to get to the 3 bolts on the backside of the knuckle connecting the hub. you also need to take off the parking brake which are another 2 bolts, all these do not have much room to work with but I was able to get the parking brake bolts easy... If all that goes well the hub slides out and you can get your new studs in, reinstall all the bolts and make sure to use a new axle bolt and torque down......... My axle was rusted into the hub and i ended up replacing the hub, axle, knuckle, lug nuts and a few other parts.....it not as hard as it sounds as long as nothing is seized up

----------

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/172492-hendrix-axle-install.html

Here is the write up, you dont need all these steps but its a basic idea of what you need to do, if the axle pops off and you can get the hub bolts out then its a pretty simple job....the knuckle and all that do not need to be removed, you may even be able to do it with out messing with the parking brake but since I was replacing everything I had to......Just remember to use a new axle nut, they are only a few bucks but are only a 1 time use nut

2005_CTS-V
07-06-13, 04:09 AM
Had the same thing happen a few months back. I replaced mine without removing axels.
-I drilled an access hole thru the dust shield plate.
-Lined the broken one up and pushed it thru.
-Inserted new and pulled it thru with a lug nut.
-Placed a rubber plug in the hole I made.

FuzzyLogic
07-06-13, 09:08 AM
Had the same thing happen a few months back. I replaced mine without removing axels.
-I drilled an access hole thru the dust shield plate.
-Lined the broken one up and pushed it thru.
-Inserted new and pulled it thru with a lug nut.
-Placed a rubber plug in the hole I made.

That's an awesome idea. Although rubber probably can't handle the heat. I'll see what my local Home Depot has in stock.

jclayc
07-06-13, 09:33 AM
i replaced a snapped ARP lug bolt yesterday and was thinking about writing it up. tophat's method is what I basically used, except you don't have to pull the axle. I don't think Fuzzy needs this "for-dummies" version of the how-to but here are the steps I followed:
wheels on ground, loosen the 34mm axle nut - technically, this is a one-use nut that should be replaced if you pull it
wheels up, remove the axle nut
unbolt the caliper and move it out of the way
remove rotor (make sure the ebrake is off)
remove the two 15mm bolts holding the ebrake bracket and move it out of the way a bit
unclip the abs sensor
loosen the top two 18mm bolts holding the hub
the third 18mm bolt tucked below the axle is the hard one to get to. if you kind of push the axle "into" the diff, that will give you about an inch more room to get to the 18mm bolt, like 1/8 of a turn at a time
pull the hub, bang out the stud, replace and re-assemble

if the ebrake cable comes undone from the little hook it connects to, you can pull enough slack in the line itself to re-connect it

I found that cheap lug nuts + a lot of heat is what ends up causing the lug nut to sieze and then break the stud.

tophat
07-06-13, 02:33 PM
yeah I wrote this up too quick lastnight, I had to remove the whole axle since it would not push back off the hub to get to those 3 bolts, dealer could even press it off before breaking the knuckle and hub.....so as long as that doesnt happen its a pretty painless process