: New brake job - 1997 Eldorado

twrtoad
07-05-13, 08:50 PM
I just did a front brake job on my caddy today, took me about 3 hours. I know people may say thats a long time but I went slow and double checked everything, here are some pictures.
first picture is of the old ones. not much pad left and the rotors were all grovved to hell and had a big lip at the top
the second picture is with the new rotors on and the pads, in the background you can see my lazy cat who was not much help at all
the last picture is just showing the thickness of the new pads.

hope everybody has a good day
jim

Submariner409
07-06-13, 11:18 AM
You and the cat are lucky, lucky people. Less than two inches of roll and the cat would have been dead and the suspension wrecked.

NEVER do ANY work on a car up on a scissors jack. That is probably the single most dangerous way to work on a car imaginable.

Invest in an inexpensive floor jack - 1.5 to 2.5 ton rated - and a set of good jackstands.

twrtoad
07-06-13, 12:15 PM
good call,
believe you are correct. believe it is time for me to go purchase some, DUH, smacks head.
Jim

Dadillac
07-06-13, 08:20 PM
I was never a proponent to jack stands. Felt that the jack falling would never happen to me. i once had a '74 Chevelle. I wanted to raise the rear suspension for larger tires. I used the old bumper jack and a few cinder blocks. I was underneath that car for several hours tempting fate. Well about 12-13 years ago I was doing brakes on my wifes '99 Camry. Used the scissor jack but forgot to set the parking brake. The car rolled and hit the ground. No part of me was under the car but it left deep internal mental wounds. From that day on I have never done anything (with the exception of the quick tire change) without jack stands. Any part that would get caught under the car will be lost forever. A leg, arm, head, etc. Just not worth it.

Don

rodnok01
07-06-13, 11:17 PM
I've thrown the rim/tire under car for a backup to jack in the past. Not ideal by any strecht but better than nothing.
Yea scissor jacks are barely useable for tire changin even. I've knocked a car of a floor jack before doing stupid crap. 3 point stands are worthless, get 4 point and as good/tall as you can afford.