: Radio is on, but no sound. HELP

monkeyboyx
02-20-05, 04:46 AM
I replaced the alternator then got a jump from my other car and now the radio turns on but no sound is coming out of the speakers. Everything in the car is running great and the battery has regular voltage but when I just tryed the radio it has no sound coming out. You can turn the radio on and off, switch to the cd and switch songs, you can hear the laser move but no sound from speakers. I take it might be a fuse or a relay somewhere. I did check the fuse for the radio and it was good. Could something have happen to the amp? Anybody have any ideas? Or is this some kind of security thing like the VW where every radio has a four digit code.

Ohh yeah its a 98 Catera with the Bose in dash radio with cd player.

Thanks.

Vesicant
02-20-05, 05:31 PM
Sounds like the amp is out, or the amp popped a fuse. Owners manual has fuse locations.

97Catera
02-20-05, 08:20 PM
i would say the same thing amp is bad or fuse if you need a factory amp let me know i can get you one but i ned to know soon before the car is junked.i am getting a few parts i need from it cheap i can ask how much for the amp.

monkeyboyx
02-21-05, 12:45 AM
I'll check on the fuse in the next two days once I find my car under all this snow we just got in Detroit. Thanks for the info I might need that amp, I will let you know.

monkeyboyx
02-23-05, 01:00 AM
Do you still have the amp for sale? And is it a bose amp or just stock?
How much do you want for it and where do I send the money? Check or paypal.

CateraSport
02-23-05, 03:34 PM
I completely replaced my whole stock stereo, so if you need any factory stereo equipment let me know.

97Catera
02-23-05, 08:20 PM
monkey email sent.everything is set when your ready

Guilherme2
02-27-05, 08:19 AM
Hey Budy ! I had the same problem on this catera o bough few months a go. The radio stopped just when it came back from the repair shop it stayed 2 months. I almost spent $300 or more trying to have it fixed, and tha was after I had spent some good time on top of it trying, also took to a radio shop where they worked on it the whole day and didn't find whatn to do. Some day I got frustraited at my friends house who knows more about electronics then I do, we started messing with the wires of the amp when after umpluging the connectors and putting back on it started working. I had already do it, but some how didn't work when I did. For being insistent, I same some good $$$. Not to mention that the very next day the OEM was gonna have a new head unit to test on the car.

Guilherme2
02-27-05, 08:26 AM
By the way. With this problem, I even tought about changing the whole system. With almost the same money I was gonna have something up to date, add as much as you want to the car, in my opinion the worse thing you can do is remove the bose system, which I almost did, besides it sounds really good and clear all the way to the last volume point.

97Catera
02-27-05, 10:42 AM
i agree thats why my bose is still in and my pioneer cd player is for sale.

CateraSport
02-28-05, 12:25 PM
The bose system is garbage compared to any aftermarket component system. The bose system hits the exact same bass line over and over, it has no sound range at all. Maybe that's what you like? I like my music to be precise and have range, and sound exactly how it's supposed to sound. The bose system doesn't give you this is any way.